How do you define failing in life?

42 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

I was thinking about this the other day, how do you define failing in lie? I used to always think years and years ago that if all you did was laze about, eating potato chips off your chest and wallowing about in your own defecation as you play online video games for 20+ hours a day, but after looking around a few years later and seeing that people seem to enjoy doing that, I think I've come to the conclusion that failing in life is only possible when you fail to reach your own goals, as opposed to the goals others set for you.

That's just my thought on it. I'm interested in hearing yours.

• na89340qv0n34b09q340, Oxiidized, Shah Sam and 1 other like this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

To be sat in front of the computer writing on the internet the whole day. When you become what you've always hated you know you've failed in life.

• orbitalraindrops likes this

Shah Sam
  • Shah Sam

Shah

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Failing is when you spend time watching New Kids while playing with model trains. 

Just kidding :D

I agree, you've failed life if you fail to reach your own goals OR if you're not happy with your life.

• Finn 7 five 11, universetwisters and Revenge of the Donut like this

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

It's pretty much that. What is considered to be a fail in life is really subjective and what one's idea of failure may be another persons idea of success. :ph34r: :ph34r:

headmetalbanger
  • headmetalbanger

?

• BUSTED!
  • Unknown

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

When you're a lazy and does not try to be someone.
When you let your goals, wasting time, take wrong decisions and do everything wrong on purpose. You'll want to have everything back when it's too late.

Sometimes here in my country people fail too young or not so old and feel that fail when they can not work or earn little money, commit suicide and leave families.

There are many reasons, I think.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:41 PM Edited by Max., 17 November 2013 - 08:44 PM.

But success is not simply a case of 'being happy' or of pursuing personal goals. If personal contentment was the only measure of success then a smack addict would be considered a model of achievement and an example of a person who had accomplished all their goals.

To a large extent what is considered success and failure is a product of an individual's society and personal impressions of success should be formed by a synthesis of external and internal judgments, through which we assess the world around us and our own impact on it. I personally believe it is not an option to opt out and only adhere to personal ideas of success by equating the word to happiness.

Failure in my eyes constitutes a selfish pursuit of personal happiness and we have cultivated social measures of success such as good job, stable marriage etc because a pursuit of these goals benefits those around you and the society at large.. 

Now that's not to say that a good job will automatically make you a success if you fail to be a good person, or to live a good life outside of work, I think there is a balance to be struck between pursuing internally and externally motivated goals. However the waste of human potential postrated in front of My Little Pony re-runs, whose only worry is positioning the TV in exactly the right place to avoid sun-glare is an abject failure, in my opinion, because they are only looking to satisfy personal ideas of happiness rather than measurable yardsticks of success.

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:02 PM Edited by lt_yao, 17 November 2013 - 09:02 PM.

When you have no interests, no opinions, no insight in what's going on around in the world, and you don't even care to.

The way I see it.

• Mockage likes this

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”  - Bob Dylan.

• Finn 7 five 11 and Sting4S like this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

It's pretty much that. What is considered to be a fail in life is really subjective and what one's idea of failure may be another persons idea of success. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Like a homeless guy getting sent to prison?

vertical limit
  • vertical limit

When in doubt don't pull out.

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

Realising you're not satisfied about your life and do nothing about or spew out excuses for your failure.

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Of course. Like if said homeless person has absolutely no ambition or desire to get back into organized society, get a job, and so forth, and his/her only way to have definite shelter without having to contribute, then being sent to prison may be a very likely goal of that person.

I was wondering. What's the average American's dream in life? To have a nice car, a well paying job, a big house, and a family? I could settle for less than half the quality of those first three things and completely exempt the last. My goal isn't anything like sitting around and wasting away in my parents home, but it's definitely not having a clean and perfect little life as a above middle class house wife. The whole idea is meant to be subjective and without any strict definition. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.”  - Bob Dylan.

Perfect.

Do what you want to do with your life and not what other people say/expect you to do.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΛΟ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

Failing doesn't exist in my opinion. I mean sure you can fail at achieving your goals, but I don't think that makes you a lesser person and thus it is not a true failure. When most people decide to pursue their goals they also decide that their life will suck if they don't achieve them. What makes that true? Life can be about anything you want. You can live a simple life if you want to. Disappointment stems from expectations, not from the failing itself. Also, there's always time to make a change, and if there isn't, live with it.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

But success is not simply a case of 'being happy' or of pursuing personal goals. If personal contentment was the only measure of success then a smack addict would be considered a model of achievement and an example of a person who had accomplished all their goals.

To a large extent what is considered success and failure is a product of an individual's society and personal impressions of success should be formed by a synthesis of external and internal judgments, through which we assess the world around us and our own impact on it. I personally believe it is not an option to opt out and only adhere to personal ideas of success by equating the word to happiness.

Failure in my eyes constitutes a selfish pursuit of personal happiness and we have cultivated social measures of success such as good job, stable marriage etc because a pursuit of these goals benefits those around you and the society at large.. 

Now that's not to say that a good job will automatically make you a success if you fail to be a good person, or to live a good life outside of work, I think there is a balance to be struck between pursuing internally and externally motivated goals. However the waste of human potential postrated in front of My Little Pony re-runs, whose only worry is positioning the TV in exactly the right place to avoid sun-glare is an abject failure, in my opinion, because they are only looking to satisfy personal ideas of happiness rather than measurable yardsticks of success.

Firstly why does your post gradually increase in font size and secondly how many 'smack addicts' do you think are happy? You must have some real middle class view of severe addiction because generally being addicted to heroin is pretty f*cking miserable.

Tyler
  • Tyler

• Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

Failure is such a giant, looming, ambiguous fear that I'm not entirely sure how to define it for every person who's alive. I can only say that failure in life to me means knowing you could do and be better, but consciously choose not to. I think it's more interesting to ask how we can fail as a society, though. Humans are social, it's only natural that those relationships could define us and push us towards failure or success. The thing is those interpersonal lines often run far deeper than any one person could imagine.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:00 PM Edited by Max., 17 November 2013 - 11:02 PM.

@ Nale Dixon: Firstly. It doesn't decrease in font size. There must be something wrong with your browser or your eyes, which brings me nicely to my next point:

Secondly if you want to actually contribute to the discussion, read the rest of my post which is actually related to the topic before flying off the handle and making assumptions about my personal perspective. It was an admittedly clumsy metaphor but my overall point still stands. The endless pursuit of personal gratification is not success. 

Perfect.

Do what you want to do with your life and not what other people say/expect you to do.

But would you say this is still success if what that man wants to do is go out all day stealing, lying, cheating etc? The pursuit of success is not a race towards self-satisfaction with no concern for others. 

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:07 PM Edited by Raavi, 17 November 2013 - 11:38 PM.

Failure is the point where you are forced to come to terms with the fact that there is no way out of the misery that you have put yourself in.

Everyone can interpret this differently.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

Of course. Like if said homeless person has absolutely no ambition or desire to get back into organized society, get a job, and so forth, and his/her only way to have definite shelter without having to contribute, then being sent to prison may be a very likely goal of that person.

I was wondering. What's the average American's dream in life? To have a nice car, a well paying job, a big house, and a family? I could settle for less than half the quality of those first three things and completely exempt the last. My goal isn't anything like sitting around and wasting away in my parents home, but it's definitely not having a clean and perfect little life as a above middle class house wife. The whole idea is meant to be subjective and without any strict definition. :ph34r: :ph34r:

I'm not quite sure what the American dream is built around, but here the Scottish dream is to one day successfully complete a rehab course.

• S5L3T0 likes this

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:11 PM

@ Nale Dixon: Firstly. It doesn't decrease in font size. There must be something wrong with your browser or your eyes, which brings me nicely to my next point:

Secondly if you want to actually contribute to the discussion, read the rest of my post which is actually related to the topic before flying off the handle and making assumptions about my personal perspective. It was an admittedly clumsy metaphor but my overall point still stands. The endless pursuit of personal gratification is not success. 

Perfect.

But would you say this is still success if what that man wants to do is go out all day stealing, lying, cheating etc? The pursuit of success is not a race towards self-satisfaction with no concern for others. 

It's his success if he's happy doing all those things. Most people aren't though because there are social and moral incentives not to do those things, so almost every person ever doesn't want to go out stealing, lying, and cheating because it makes them feel unhappy. I'd say that the ones that are happy doing it are successful, because they're doing exactly what they want to do.

D- Ice
  • D- Ice

Gangsta

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:26 PM

I completely agree with universetwisters - success and failure are highy subjective concepts. You simply cannot come up with a universal, objective definitions that applies to everyone - past that it is achieving one's one personal goals in life.

More spefic definitions - money, celebrity status, mansions, sports cars, Nobel Peace Price etc... are rather ignorant, and only state the most popular shared concepts of success at the current time. The major issues are:

- They do not apply to everyone. They only represent the majority in any given time period, culture, socio-economic class etc...

- To those they do apply to, the degree to which they are associated with success varies wildly from person to person. The people who agree with them also hold various combinations of factors associated with success.

Furthermore, there really isn't absolute success for the vast majority of people. Everyone has something in life they believe is not ideal.

• Adler likes this

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:32 PM

For me it's about happiness.

If you're happy, you've succeeded. If you're unhappy, you're failing.

What else is life about? It's all about being happy IMO.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:59 PM Edited by whatsstrength, 18 November 2013 - 12:03 AM.

-Living at home

-No job or plans to get one

-No education or plans to pursue one

-Collecting welfare disability checks when you're damn well perfectly able to work

This guy, minus the baby sh*t for most cases.

adult-baby-3.jpg

Stanley Thornton, the infamous "adult-baby".

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

Committing suicide.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

-No job or plans to get one

-No education or plans to pursue one

-Collecting welfare disability checks when you're damn well perfectly able to work

I consider these type of guys to already be a failure the second they decided to become an Obama supporter.

Committing suicide.

So if you happen to f*ck that up, what then would you be considered?

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:13 AM

Committing suicide.

A mental patient.

Melchior
  • Melchior

I love only me, I've got the answers to everything

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:25 AM

Heh, tell that to those Gordon Gekko-wannabes on Wall Street. 

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:50 AM

Committing suicide.

A mental patient.

A successful one?

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich alle.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

Committing suicide.

I f*cked that up once. Jumped off a second story balcony. Landed on my feet, fell on my back, got up and walked away.

Kalvin'
  • Kalvin'

----------

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:29 AM

To be sat in front of the computer writing on the internet the whole day.

So I've failed life?
Woohoo!

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Soldier

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:32 AM

I don't think you really can fail at life, maybe in the eyes if yourself for not accomplishing your life ambitions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users