Quantcast

» «
Photo

Purchasing a next gen system in it's first year is a mistake.

28 replies to this topic
IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

I mean really.

Not only will there be enough game releases to help you decide which system you wanna purchase (Assuming you're gonna buy one or will buy only one.)... But people will get to know the consoles for real, and decide what's right, and what's wrong.

I mean, look at pre-release X360 and PS3. And look at after their releases.

Heck ...A better example, look at the Xbox One from half a year ago, and look at it from 3 months ago ...Almost 2 different consoles.

How about you? Are you trusting enough of these companies to buy one in it's first year like that?

• TaviColen123 likes this

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:42 PM Edited by Los Santos Police Department, 17 November 2013 - 06:43 PM.

It's a mistake because a lot of consoles at launch can be faulty. Examples such as the RROD on the 360 and the recent PS4 issues are the main reasons why people should not get consoles in it's 1st year of launch.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

It's the reason why you shouldn't buy next gen console in the first year. People should buy them globally to find all the faults, so they can be fixed when you'll finally decide to buy one. Just don't be the first guy and let the others do the job, so you can be sure everything is fixed. 

I'm going with that logic and also usually wait for some decent games (read GTA) to be published on the next gens. I bought my PS3 in late summer 2008 to play GTA IV and I will buy the next gen when GTA will hit the shelves. 

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

I agree. Can't even understand people who buy consoles at launch...

I'll personally purchase it when a really decent game comes out, that I can't play on either PS3 and PC.

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:59 PM Edited by Erebos, 17 November 2013 - 07:00 PM.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=2rIJmGj4g-s

iiConTr0v3rSYx
  • iiConTr0v3rSYx

Warning.... Warning... Controversy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

All too true.

I'm waiting until the next Halo to come out before I get the X1.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

The PS4 incidents are completly isolated. In fact, there are strong rumours that the people who have faulty PS4's are due to foxconn sabotaging the systems apparently due to mistreating of employees. I think they purposely done this to Sony for some reason if this is true. If not, then it's because people are stupid enough to put the HDMI cable the wrong way round or there is something wrong with the input on the console.

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

I disagree. When you purchase one of these consoles you're entitled, or should be entitled to warranty. If your console is faulty then you're bound to be able to take advantage of that warranty.

I'm getting myself an XBOX One shortly after Christmas. I was going to get the PS4 until I realised there were more console-limited games that were on the X1 than the PS4. The only restricted game I want that's on the PS4 so far is MGS 5.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:18 AM Edited by Doublepulse, 18 November 2013 - 08:19 AM.

What boggles my mind more than people rushing out to buy the new console is how people are trading in their Ps3 to get it..I plan to get it sometime in the next 1-4 months depending on the situation. I might consider even waiting longer, but my initial wait was going to be some time next year.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

The only restricted game I want that's on the PS4 so far is MGS 5.

I'm not sure what you mean, but if by restricted game you mean exclusive thats wrong MGS 5 is on xbox one, 360, ps3 and ps4. 

I was gonna get the xbox at christmas but the only game i want thats out is AC IV, I'll wait until my birthday in May to get it

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

NOT purchasing a new console is a mistake one should not make.

I mean if we do not buy a new console, companies will not make games for it. And so, the console will fall.

Of course, one should not buy crappy console, such as XboxOne.

But we should fully support any new good console, such as WiiU or PS4. That way we will make sure that the console in question will perk the interest of game companies.

I have lost track of excellent consoles that failed just because they did not sell enough units in their first year.

-anyone remember CD32? No?

-my point exactly.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

Neither Sony nor Microsoft made any profit from the PlayStation/XBox since their release, yet they continue to create consoles (and studios continue to make games), so I wouldn't worry that much about that Misbegotten.

I would never buy any console in it's first year and especially not the launch day.

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Misbegotten cad, on 18 Nov 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

I mean if we do not buy a new console, companies will not make games for it. And so, the console will fall.

But we should fully support any new good console, such as WiiU or PS4. That way we will make sure that the console in question will perk the interest of game companies.

I have lost track of excellent consoles that failed just because they did not sell enough units in their first year.

-my point exactly.

Lol, wiiu great console yeah. Also the xbox one hating is getting old, yes they f*cked up, even they realised they f*cked up, its time to move on now .

Forzum
  • Forzum

Fossy

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

I understand why some people do it and why it can be "worth it".

However I won't be waiting as I have mine on pre order and I'm excited as hell for PS4 really want to see what it's like etc. I'm not expecting it to run 100% smooth, but hopefully it will (will get it next friday). I bought the first batch of the Xbox 360 when it got out and it still works properly, hopefully I'll get lucky once more.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

One of the main things stopping me getting Next Gen hardware is the fact that all the "major titles" that interest me are available on Xbox 360. And having played most of them already, if i switch to next gen the game will be the same just with nicer graphics.

I will wait until this time next year, when there is a new Assassins Creed, a new Call Of Duty, and i will purchase the Xbox One along with these new games that i have never played, and my excitement will be through the roof.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'm not only talking about faulty consoles, guys.

Here's an example ...

Do you wanna be stuck with a PS4 eyeballing Halo, Forza, Titanfall or DR3?

Do you wanna be stuck with an X1 eyeballing Killzone, Sly Cooper, Uncharted or Knack?

I'm sure the answer is definitely no.

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

-my point exactly.

Lol, wiiu great console yeah. Also the xbox one hating is getting old, yes they f*cked up, even they realised they f*cked up, its time to move on now .

How is the Wii U not a great console?

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

I'll wait and see. I was going to get a ps4 until I got the impression from GTAF that PS doesn't seem to give a sh*t about their free network and the community isn't as good as you find on XBL.

Besides they have the same controller, same titles mostly, and if one has better hardware and that's a major selling point you're better off building a computer for gaming.

I'm underwhelmed by the new consoles. Probably don't even have 16g of RAM.

And people trading in their consoles is nuts but so is trading in games for what you get for them.

TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:00 PM Edited by TaviColen123, 18 November 2013 - 03:01 PM.

Erebos, on 18 Nov 2013 - 4:52 PM, said:Erebos, on 18 Nov 2013 - 4:52 PM, said:

TaviColen123, on 18 Nov 2013 - 1:27 PM, said:TaviColen123, on 18 Nov 2013 - 1:27 PM, said:

Misbegotten cad, on 18 Nov 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:Misbegotten cad, on 18 Nov 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

-my point exactly.

How is the Wii U not a great console?

First of all its not even a next gen console, its  a last gen console with a gimmick pad to make up for the poor excuse that Nintendo has fallen behind again like they did with the Wii , second of all the library of games on the damn console is seriously lacking, the 1st party games are not really worth it and the 3rd party games are just crappy ports from the other platforms . Now you understand why i dont think its a great console .

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

You Sir, Do Not Praise The Sun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

I have a three year warranty on the XB1. If it messes up I'm covered. I made sure it was one of those deals where I could just trade in store and not have to send back to manufact. if it does mess up. I'm not too worried about it. I'm sick of GTA Online, it is boring as hell. I only play GTA, Battlefield and COD. I just rather play them on the next gen's. instead of current gen. Thats why I went next gen. I understand why you all are waiting though. I did the last console launch on 360.

But here's the thing with the whole red ring of death on 360. When I got the red ring of death all I did was take my HD off the 360. Took it back to Best Buy. They let me go grab a brand new one in the store right then and there. No questions asked. Was NOT a big deal. Never paid a dime.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'll wait and see. I was going to get a ps4 until I got the impression from GTAF that PS doesn't seem to give a sh*t about their free network and the community isn't as good as you find on XBL.

Besides they have the same controller, same titles mostly, and if one has better hardware and that's a major selling point you're better off building a computer for gaming.

I'm underwhelmed by the new consoles. Probably don't even have 16g of RAM.

And people trading in their consoles is nuts but so is trading in games for what you get for them.

Their controllers are similar, yes. But not the same.

The PS4 controller has a touch pad, not all games will use it. But some will.

The Xbox One controller doesn't, instead extra controls will rely on voice commands using the Kinect ..Or even a few motion commands.

Maybe some games will have an easter egg if you jerk off in front of the Kinect ...But probably not.

And honestly dude, RAM isn't the only thing.

Look at the sh*t these current consoles are pulling off without even a gig of RAM.

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

Here's an example ...
Do you wanna be stuck with an X1 eyeballing Killzone, Sly Cooper, Uncharted or Knack?

Save up and get both.

Sly Cooper has turned to sh*t now, as has Killzone. I don't really give a f*ck about Uncharted.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Here's an example ...

Save up and get both.

Sly Cooper has turned to sh*t now, as has Killzone. I don't really give a f*ck about Uncharted.

I played Sly 4 at a friend's house ..Really brought back some great memories from Sly 3 ...So I liked it.

I never played Killzone or Uncharted. But Shadow Fall looks cool.

I switched to the 360 last generation cause I found it more convenient and simply better for me.

Now I'm gonna wait till I see which one is the right system for me.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

-my point exactly.

GUYS THE XBONE SUCKS AMIRITE? THINGS ARENT SUBJECTIVE AND NOT CLEAR-CUT IM JUST RITE.

What boggles my mind more than people rushing out to buy the new console is how people are trading in their Ps3 to get it..I plan to get it sometime in the next 1-4 months depending on the situation. I might consider even waiting longer, but my initial wait was going to be some time next year.

Thing is, release of most new hardware has little guarantee in the way of reliability. If they're not expecting the PS4 to be working 100% all the time for the first week or two, fine, but I also wonder if they know about the lack of proper backwards compatibility (on both consoles, I believe). 

And anyway, it's not as if games will stop being made for PS3 and Xbox 360, so it's easily viable to wait if you're not desperate for next-gen games.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

Im like you in the fact that i wont be buying the PS4 till January at the earliest, most likely Feb, March onwrads. I also definetly wont be trading in my PS3 to get it as i've got to many good games on the PS3 to just trade the console in.

Aintgottime2bleed
  • Aintgottime2bleed

to weird to live to rare to die

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

I always want stuff as fast as possible so i really dont see the point in waiting unless you have low amount of cash. You buy once ( unless it gets defect later ) so who cares bout $100. I bought ps3 for euro 630 with motorstorm with it and im happy i didnt wait a year for $100 pricedrop. You play on console atleast 6years so 100 : 6 = 15, thats a $15 profit for not buying a new console each year, i smoke $ 15 away in a day so i dont care about losing $15 each year especially if i get a new console for it in return.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:02 AM Edited by wwinterj, 19 November 2013 - 12:09 AM.

I bought a PS3 day one and I'll be honest it sat collecting dust due to the lack of games out for the system at the time. This time I've decided to wait until next year before I buy a PS4. I'll buy a Xbox One and maybe even a Wii U much later down the road when the price has dropped considerably.

The only game next gen that has me on the edge of my seat is Kingdom Hearts 3 and that won't be out for a few years yet. Games like Black Flag I can buy on the PS3 and I believe was made on current gen systems so looks fine. I can live without the small graphical updates based on the comparison videos between the PS4 and PS3 versions of Black Flag. I'd imagine the same could  be said for a lot of games that will be cross gen.

Point is the PS3 still has a lot of life left in it for me. Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 remix will be out in September next year for the PS3 so until then at least I'll be happy with my PS3. Waiting that long gives time for more games to be out for next gen systems, bugs to be fixed and time for me to save the cash to buy one. I'd imagine better bundles will present themselves also. Hell maybe even a price drop on the games/console will happen.

pokemon123
  • pokemon123

stuff

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:27 AM

waiting for persona 5 for me,

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

Killzone's story is underrated, it IMO deserves an 80-82 and no more. It's very good for a FPS game. Killzone definitely hasn't got sh*t, it's the best FPS out there, it just completely crushes COD and BF anyday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users