GTA Gunfighting Tips

93 replies to this topic
jwyleski
  • jwyleski

has evolved!

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

OP what would you recommend in a situation where u are getting spawnkilled with heavy snipers wielded by a couple of level 137 guys (and laughing about it)? I don't mean leave the server or quickjob out then come back with a tank. I already know about those options, LOL.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

It depends on where you are. I had a similar situation in the desert. Two guys were behind a car and I was out in the open with nothing for cover. I recommend running in a serpentine or zig-zag pattern perpendicular to where they are. An example being if they're shooting from the north, you run either east or west. Spot which direction has better cover and book it. Find a hill or wall to lay low while you call your mechanic. Get you vehicle and either drive away or find a good place to retaliate. Or, you could go off the radar to get your bearings, or call in mercs for a distraction, or you can snipe & roll since they're most likely sitting still. What I did was I made my way to what I think was a barn (can't really remember). Called up my mechanic, hopped in my voltic and drove in a semi-circle toward the griefers. I ran them over, dropped a grenade and hauled ass. I found a spot on a hill and spawn killed them back a few times before they quit, which I find slightly annoying. Griefers hate getting griefed. I hope that helps. If not, ask some more questions and I'll try to answer them better, lol. Oh, one last thing. If you absolutely don't want to quit the session but just can't get away no matter what, commit suicide. It's so much cheaper than being spawn killed, plus, it'll get you far enough away to stock up on bullets and come back swinging if you choose.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

Added a drive-by section. Hope it helps.

rednation58
  • rednation58

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:55 PM

looking for the quickest way to get a headshot and put a guy down. I play lots of TDM and I notice that sometimes I'm spot on with my headshots like one or two shot kills on players with full health and armor. Other times I notice it takes a lot more bullets to get the job done. These are mostly moving targets, but I've had plenty of players get 1 or 2 headshot kills on me while I'm moving. Is there some art to the perfect headshot? Some guys tell me to switch reticule to simple from complex but I hate the tiny dot - if this is the answer then I'm screwed. I can't stand that dot as my vision is terrible -

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

The best reticle is the one you feel most comfortable with. I use complex as well, so don't worry about switching. As for headshots, there's no real secret, just practice. I've spent hours trying to teach my wife how to do it, but she never practices, so she can't get a headshot to save her life. Anyway, each weapon is different for how easy it is. Personally, I use the combat pistol for headshots since the bullets always hit the mark. If you want to use an automatic weapon, try to aim at their head before you shoot so your first (and most important) shots hit. For moving targets, aim up and a little toward where they're running. It's a little finnicky to get a headshot on a moving target, but if you aim before shooting, they're less likely to notice you, and more likely to die before shooting back. Also, whenever possible, click the right stick to zoom when trying to get headshots. That alone makes it so much easier. Hope this helps. If not, I can play with you until you get it, if you're on PS3.

rednation58
  • rednation58

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

I do shoot a lot before I actually have a lock on the head.  - didn't think about that. If I use the combat pistol in TDM I'll get murdered lol - the closest I get to that is the AP pistol which is a great weapon except for the small clip.

I do try to aim in - and i keep doing the quick menu action lol - i get excited. PS3 buc58

MrMattAdz
  • MrMattAdz

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

Great Article, wish I had seen it when I was starting out haha.

I did however notice a couple of things that have been left out that some people might not know about.

1) If you only hold down the R2/RT trigger without pressing L2/LT, you can fire without losing mobility, similar to firing from the hip on fps games. You will be less accurate, but you can use your extra movement speed to get behind cover. You can also hold down the trigger halfway to bring up the reticule without firing, allowing you to keep your aim on the target if you don't have a shot on them. This can be done effectively with pretty much any weapon.

2)This is related to my other tip, but it can be used in a different scenario. Using this technique you can aim and fire a sniper rifle without using the scope (it is still an accurate weapon using this technique), making the weapon a much more viable choice in close quarter environments. You can even move around while firing the weapon! To do this all you need to do is to only use the R2/RT triggers in the same way that I previously mentioned in my first tip, and you will bring up a reticule just like any other gun (if you are using complex reticules, the reticule will be the same as the automatic rifles). One of my favourites ways to use this is to bring up just the reticule (by holding the trigger halfway down), putting the reticule on my target, and then pressing L2/LT to bring up the scope and perfecting my aim. This allows me to get on target much quicker than normal, and I can still move prior to bringing up the scope!

Hope that was clear and helpful.

• ten-a-penny likes this

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:07 PM

That's amazing! I had no idea you could use the sniper rifle that way. Don't know about anyone else, but that's a game changer for me. Thanks for that tip.

MrMattAdz
  • MrMattAdz

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

No problem. It makes the heavy sniper a god like weapon in deathmatches haha, I've hit people from about 60 metres before using that technique, and it's really good against other snipers who expect you to stop moving to line up your shot.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:35 AM

I played around with trying to use that today and I gotta say just taking out helos alone makes it a go-to technique. I can't praise it enough. I can only imagine how overpowered it is in free-aim. Before you mentioned how to do this I wanted R* to add a rifle like the ones from RDD, but now I'm quite content. It's so badass!

rednation58
  • rednation58

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

I've used the free aim sniper - i notice it doesn't seem to be a one shot kill though if you don't use the scope. You guys notice that too? I mean power drops all the way down to the slighest sliver of red left but it still takes me two shots minimum without the scope. I can't get a headshot to save my life without the scope.  

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:22 PM

I haven't noticed, but that's because it always takes me two shots when it isn't a headshot. I admit I'm not a great sniper. Maybe I'd be better if they added diazepam as a consumable. Did notice something odd about free aim sniping. The reticle size, which determines accuracy, is dependent on the zoom feature. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but with some combination of zooming then switching to free aim the reticle accuracy goes from a hail mary to pistol accuracy. Anyone else notice this, and/or know how to change it at will?

garvdart
  • garvdart

Trick

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

Awesome guide btw this will definitely help me from being a average shooter too a gunslinging fiend.

Nipper
  • Nipper

/\-/\

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

I haven't noticed, but that's because it always takes me two shots when it isn't a headshot. I admit I'm not a great sniper. Maybe I'd be better if they added diazepam as a consumable. Did notice something odd about free aim sniping. The reticle size, which determines accuracy, is dependent on the zoom feature. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but with some combination of zooming then switching to free aim the reticle accuracy goes from a hail mary to pistol accuracy. Anyone else notice this, and/or know how to change it at will?

I noticed this too, firing a sniper scope-less has never been a 1HK to a full health player. Same sniper, full health player, scoped shot to the foot while he was running and he died.

Heavy sniper obviously.

So yes, I think there is some difference between the damage dealt.

Good thread by the way. :)

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:57 AM

I appreciate the thanks. Are there any other parts of the game you'd like me to give my input on? I was thinking of adding a section for parachute shooting since it's so gratifying when you swoop in from nowhere and kill someone that way. 

SuperDuperGta
  • SuperDuperGta

Homie

• Members

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

Surprised you don't talk about shoulder advantage

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:38 PM Edited by MysterBeefy, 02 March 2014 - 10:40 PM.

Not sure what you mean by shoulder advantage. Would you please elaborate?

Do you mean when you switch which over the shoulder view you have to better see around corners, and thus get a shot while behind more cover? 

TacoBane
  • TacoBane

Goober and Free Aimer.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 March 2014 - 05:27 AM

A good guide Mr beefy Ive read it a few times before playing too remind myself of the fact that tactics exist. Got any room on your friendlist? Would be keen for some of those lessons you mentioned.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:16 AM

Sure thing. My PSN is Kiss_The_Keck

I hope I can help. Is there anything specific you need?

TacoBane
  • TacoBane

Goober and Free Aimer.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

Reactions seem good. Free Aim is getting better. Lacking Understanding of teamwork type things. Also horrible sniper. Also Embarassing at level 140 too have an even KD.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

I've never spoken on mic in GTA, so my teamwork is almost nil. Never heard anyone say anything nice, so I figured not to bother. Sniping is a mix between thinking of where your target might move mixed with quick reflexes. I'd rather take a shot and miss than not take a shot and die. An even KD is nothing to be embarassed about. K/D's aren't anything to be embarassed about. Everyone starts somewhere. As long as there's improvement over time and you're enjoying the game, your K/D ratio doesn't matter. Anyway, looking forward to playing with you soon. Hope we can smooth out whatever you think is holding you up. And please, if you see anything as do that you don't agree with, let me know. I don't know everything and I'm sure I make mistakes all the time.

• Sandra-js85 likes this

SuperDuperGta
  • SuperDuperGta

Homie

• Members

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Do you mean when you switch which over the shoulder view you have to better see around corners, and thus get a shot while behind more cover? 

Yea except our characters can't go over any shoulder then the right shoulder. If you're both on either side of a big rock then whoever is coming out on their right will be able to see the other player first because of the camera angle. 

Nipper
  • Nipper

/\-/\

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:27 PM Edited by Nipper, 03 March 2014 - 01:27 PM.

Yea except our characters can't go over any shoulder then the right shoulder. If you're both on either side of a big rock then whoever is coming out on their right will be able to see the other player first because of the camera angle. 

If you ever find yourself on the wrong end of that situation, try rolling left just as they come into sight, should bring your reticule up to meet them, as well as unlocking their autolock if you play that way.

Doesn't always work but it gives you a little chance.

• SuperDuperGta likes this

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Now I get what you're saying. Never payed much attention to it, but I've done the shoulder advantage thing countless times. Also done the rolling out thing to break their lock. There's definitely a sweet spot for rolling out because when you're too close you get blasted with the auto-shotgun and when you're too far it's effortless for your opponent to re-lock. Very useful tips. Thanks for sharing.

• SuperDuperGta likes this

the_kid311
  • the_kid311

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 March 2014 - 04:24 AM

great post

Sandra-js85
  • Sandra-js85

GTA Online Nut

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Thanks so much for this post! Only just found it and not before time. I've always loved the driving, stealing cars, evading cops, racing, missions and the survivals, but pvp was never my thing.

1. It didn't interest me (I'm not that type of person)

2. I knew I would be bad at it (I was right)

A moment online where I got griefed badly by two players (forget their names) made me realise that I had to become more of an all rounder and take this side of the game on.

I was doing a gang attack close to boneyard survival (I have no problem killing cops or npc's) and these other two players were aiming and following me around, but didn't shoot. Strange I thought, its about time I got rid of them. When I aimed at them and fired, I couldn't kill them, so I thought they were messing about in that 'cant touch me' mode (forget name, never used it). So I thought no more of it and continued with the gang attack.

When I had finished, bang, shot in the head and dead! WTF (pardon my language). Looking back, I should have left game then and relogged later, however, I would have done normally, but I didn't. Wow, not having this, I thought. So respawned, and got scoped by the other guy immediately. Then they blew my car up, so I was on foot and in the middle of nowhere, every time I called for mech to bring me another, I got shot again. When I did find space to get through he couldn't deliver it as I wasn't near a road, great help huh. I think I had been shot or run over about 25 times by this point. Anyway, have to fight was my only thought. When they got close to me they were doing that combat roll you explained in your post (first time I had seen it, btw) and I thought how the hell they doing that! Never seen it in the controls guide before, well to be honest, not really read it, lol.

Anyway, long and short of it, between them they added about 50 deaths to my stats for roughly 10 back on them. Yes, I was rather annoyed to say the least and then I lost con, luckily for me I guess. Could have been worse.

So, seriously, thank you very much for this post. I can combat roll now :)

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

wow. you have no idea how much this helped me out!

damn. someone ninja'd me. I was gonna mention the "holding the firing trigger halfway" trick but someone stated that before me. Anyways, I'll do the Parachute firing part for you ;)

While parachuting, you can fire your weapon in the same time. To do so, hold the Aim trigger [L2 for PS3] and use the Firing trigger [R2 for PS3] to fire. This way you can gun down and protect yourself while going down. Most useful when around multiple targets/enemies to save yourself.

You can access the same weapons you can use while driving a car/bike; Pistol, Combat Pistol, AP Pistol, Micro SMG. I'm not sure about explosives though. Anyways, the Micro is useful for stunning targets, while the AP Pistol is the God here. Its firing speed and accuracy plus the damage it do is mind-blowing and life-saving. Make sure you select it when parachuting as your weapon while diving down. I can't remember if you still can zoom-in while parachuting though.

I highly recommend testing all the tricks here in Single Player so you can master it. This is how I mastered all these.

ashbashbluesfan
  • ashbashbluesfan

Professional Griefer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:32 PM

If anyone needs some help with combat, add me on psn ashbashbluesfan and we can practice a few scenarios.

• ten-a-penny likes this

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 02 May 2014 - 07:22 AM

Okay then. I'll add you :)

though I seem to be like 7/10 in combat. I just want to learn much more.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

@Sandra-js85: I'm glad I could help, even though it's after the fact. It sucks that randoms would act like that, but it's GTA, so it's best to prepare for those inevitable situations. If you need help practicing your shooting, or have questions, or need clarification for anything, let me know.

@ten-a-penny: Thanks for adding the parachuting tips. I forgot about it and never got around to writing it. I'll add it to the OP soon. And, as always, glad I could help.

If anyone has any helpful tips of their own, feel free add them. When I get around to adding the parachuting I'll also throw in the weapons I think are the best and why, so it gives people who aren't really sure what to use a new outlook on what weapons to choose. Will also be adding in the dlc guns, since I never paid attention to them not being there. Oh, and thanks for the positive feedback! 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users