GTA Gunfighting Tips

116 replies to this topic
Gauntlet Hair
  • Gauntlet Hair

Pacifist, Pilot IRL.

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

I can throw in some tips, as I play both autoaim and freeaim matches.

For free aim, some of your don'ts become very decent strategies:

Flashlights: From a distance, flashlights lack glare or blinding capabilities, but still present an obvious white dot. For any snipers, this is an easy point-and-click kill, but I find snipers to be rather lazy and relying ton the susceptibility of their prey to get them kills. Since you're going to be setting them up, it doesn't matter. Now, this is what I do to get most of my kills: 

There's a wonderful series of townhouses that are near the LSC shop in central LS that can be accessed from a ladder. I sit up here a lot. This presents lots of advantages for me: First off, I'm on high ground, but I can still make a quick escape without killing myself from fall damage. Second off, I have a great view of the street. The streets are elevated, so I'm looking down on them from my position. Lastly, it's across the street from another great spot, a car park, so I can hide in there if I need to. Here's where the flashlight comes in handy: As I said before, many players rely on trying to predict their target's movements. If I stand straight up on my roof and turn my light on, my enemy now assumes I'm an idiot who has just given him or her a clear target. Usually they start blasting away with an AR, and that gives me time to roll back before they get any hits. Then, they reload their gun while they wait for me to reappear...

Reloading is death. Never reload your guns unless you're CERTAIN there's no enemies around, or you have less than three bullets left. If you're practiced with headshots, you should be able to nag one with anywhere from thirty to ten or less bullets. I usually expend 10-20 bullets with the AP pistol or Advanced Rifle when I shoot for the head, and this is usually because of their high fire rates. Reloading during a fight leaves you vulnerable, extremely vulnerable. You have forty bullets left in that extended mag; that's at least three more kills if you're smart about them. 

Back to the rooftop. Now that the guy below is reloading his gun, I roll right back and blast at them. This works for me 9 out of 10 times. Flash, roll, roll again, unload. Usually they'll try to roll themselves, but that can screw them over even more:

When you're reloading, you can do it faster or slower. Reloading and then falling, jumping, or vaulting can reload your gun automatically. This isn't MUCH faster, but it can be handy, especially if the area you move to gives you decent cover. This can also work with rolling; start a reload, then roll. When you get back up, your gun should be reloaded. For rolling, though, THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE. Sometimes, you'll still have to reload your gun when you get up. For example:

Say I'm shooting someone with a standard SMG. I use up all 30 of my bullets trying for a headshot and he slips into cover. My guy starts autoreloading at the same time that I try to roll. By now, the enemy has started shooting at me. When I'm back on my feet, I haven't reloaded my gun and have now spent about 5 seconds being shot. I'm dead. Only reload when you're sure it's vital.

Let me also throw in a few details about some 'underdog' weapons. There's one in each category, besides the Heavy weapons.

PISTOLS: Pistol .50

This is for owners of SE/CE versions only, unfortunately. a .50 cal Desert Eagle, much more powerful than the .357 found in IV. This pistol, when used accordingly, can be one of the most lethal weapons in the game. As soon as I could get onto Online, I got some guns. I got the bullpup shotty, hammer, and of course, this pistol. This gun is free in the store, as are all paints and accessories. This is what kept me alive through levels 1-50, and then some. I never even touched the AP pistol until I finally decided to own all the guns. This gun, for players with health up to 40/100 can kill in 3 shots max. Combine this with the rather fast fire rate, this gun is perfect for catching off guard players and getting headshots. This gun is extremely powerful and accurate, and should definitely be kept around.

SMGS/LMGS: SMG 

This is the gun I see being used the least in Online. It seems no one touches this, as they've already unlocked/found a 'better' gun by the time they notice it. The SMG bridges the gap between SMG and AR, and does it greatly. This is one of the most accurate automatic weapons in the game, especially with a scope. It also can hold up to 60 bullets, and can be confused quite easily for the Micro SMG from a distance. Speaking of the Micro SMG, the SMG pools its ammo with it, so you can get ammo for this gun for about half the price of a pack of ammo for an AR. 

ASSAULT RIFLES: Carbine Rifle
Despite the oxymoron in its name, the Carbine Rifle is a very, very well stacked gun. Many people (especially in autoaim games) only rely on this gun until they get the more potent Advanced Rifle, but seem to overlook the staggering accuracy of this rifle. Basically, the first five or six shots you shoot from this will go exactly where you want them. The accuracy drops decently after that, but you shouldn't need more than that to do some decent damage allowing for a burst. This gun is excellent for players who can't stand the scope of sniper rifles, but still want to snag long range headshots. 

SNIPERS: Bolt Action Sniper Rifle

Both the snipers in the game are about equal, but for players who play a lot of deathmatches, this will likely be your preferred rifle for one giant reason: you can silence it. This hides you from the map and truly makes you a stealthy assassin. keep in mind that if you don't manage a headshot, you won't do much damage and will likely lose your target if you aren't keen on follow up shots.

SHOTGUNS: Sawed Off Shotgun

Many, MANY players (myself included) love the Auto Shotgun, but the potency of the Sawn Off is still to be reckoned with. This gun is a one hit kill in close range regardless of health. The range is actually quite decent, and can allow for some quick hits if you're caught off guard in cover. It can also be shot from bikes.

THROWN: Tear Gas

This can be especially lethal for players who never bothered with it. They won't know what to do when their health starts trickling away, and will sometimes run even further into the gas until they realize. By then, it'll be easy to drop them with a few shots anywhere.

Hope this helped. 

• MysterBeefy likes this

MrYoungGun
  • MrYoungGun

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

Great topic! Might I add a little vehicular combat tips? I've noticed a lot of players may be very good shooters on foot but not so hot while driving, especially since you're forced to free aim, so ill start there. Many players are addicted to auto-aim, which is fine since its the main choice inlmost all of rockstars games, but it would behoove you to do some practice shooting while driving for a few good reasons in case you find yourself in a pickle while roaming freemode.
1- Choose your freemode vehicle wisely- With so many vehicles in gtao and a garage that allows you to own up to 10, faster is almost always better...or is it? Some vehicles present other advantages to protect you while driving, some are just very adapt to certain environments and some are just great for escaping although many players have a supercar which they drive regularly so outrunning may not always be available. Some cars like the entity have no rear window which prevents the driver from taking damage when being followed, more expert drivers will use this advantage and drive in reverse while attacking making them all but invulnerable to the victim. Smaller cars are more nimble and allow tight turning and easier travel through alleys, the voltic coil may just be the best city car for this reason. Its tiny, low to the ground windows also make for a tough target. So consider having a freemode vehicle that you will drive often and get very familiar with for when you'll need to push it to survive. Get used to lesser traveled alleys around your property for use as an escape, an experienced driver won't need to check the minimap and knows where that tight bottleneck or ramp is that will give them the edge.
2-weapon choice- There's not much to choose from when shooting from a vehicle, the smg or the ap pistol are your main choices. The ap seems to blow up vehicles easier so be careful you don't end up in bad sport. Sticky bombs and grenades are a sure fire way to get there as well so avoid them too. If you must use a sticky bomb, lure your pursuiant into a tight alley behind you and throw it at an object or parked car and detonate it once your enemy nears it.
You want to aim gunfire into windows, not just for the driver seat since guns don't always fire the bullets directly at your crosshair, a lucky stray bullet can be a headshot (most driver deaths are) and that's all you need.
3- Tactics- The most ideal position when fighting in a vehicle is having your target in front of you. This allows you to drive and shoot with the least amount of distraction from one or the other, but if that's not how its playing out, try some of these tips.
In case you didn't know, every vehicle has an Ebrake (R1) which is vital in vehicular combat. Its capabilities include almost equal stopping power to normal brake and with a little practice will allow tight 90-180 degree turns. This can be used to aid in evasion and offense when situations call for it. Got an enemy on your tail? Let off the gas at an upcoming alley entrance and tap the Ebrake to steer into it, hopefully your admirer is too late on their braking and have to turn around. Or if they're a little farther behind, swing your vehicle all the way around at joust them with oncoming gunfire of your own.
Just know the faster your moving, the harder a target you are, but the more risk you run of losing control and crashing. At high speeds(unless a straight line) its better to just try to get your enemy to crash so they're a sitting duck for you to pepper their windows with lead. Ram them into oncoming traffic or poles that don't give way and 180 when successful. You'll be the faster moving target coming at them and have the advantage while they try to get out of the jam theyre in.
Pressing the right stick (R3) shows what is behind you and can be used to shoot at followers but at a great risk of crashing.
Size up your opponents car versus yours and use any advantages your vehicle may have on theirs.
Do not take on vehicles with multiple passengers, they have a big advantage, try to evade them.
In auto aim lobbies players on foot have the advantage of locking on to drivers, zigzag your way at them if you must run them over, or you can take out a driver yourself if you can get out on foot without being run over.
  • MysterBeefy likes this

Pelican
  • Pelican

The one who knocks

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Another tip: No matter how much you abide by these rules ... remember that you'll be f*cked by lag anyways so why even bother? 

Seriously,  I can unload a full clip in to someone's head and they won't die, during which they  can just turn around and casually kill me in four hits. Skill hardly matters in this game, really. 

• SmokesWithCigs likes this

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

I can throw in some tips, as I play both autoaim and freeaim matches.

For free aim, some of your don'ts become very decent strategies:

Flashlights: From a distance, flashlights lack glare or blinding capabilities, but still present an obvious white dot. For any snipers, this is an easy point-and-click kill, but I find snipers to be rather lazy and relying ton the susceptibility of their prey to get them kills. Since you're going to be setting them up, it doesn't matter. Now, this is what I do to get most of my kills: 

There's a wonderful series of townhouses that are near the LSC shop in central LS that can be accessed from a ladder. I sit up here a lot. This presents lots of advantages for me: First off, I'm on high ground, but I can still make a quick escape without killing myself from fall damage. Second off, I have a great view of the street. The streets are elevated, so I'm looking down on them from my position. Lastly, it's across the street from another great spot, a car park, so I can hide in there if I need to. Here's where the flashlight comes in handy: As I said before, many players rely on trying to predict their target's movements. If I stand straight up on my roof and turn my light on, my enemy now assumes I'm an idiot who has just given him or her a clear target. Usually they start blasting away with an AR, and that gives me time to roll back before they get any hits. Then, they reload their gun while they wait for me to reappear...

Reloading is death. Never reload your guns unless you're CERTAIN there's no enemies around, or you have less than three bullets left. If you're practiced with headshots, you should be able to nag one with anywhere from thirty to ten or less bullets. I usually expend 10-20 bullets with the AP pistol or Advanced Rifle when I shoot for the head, and this is usually because of their high fire rates. Reloading during a fight leaves you vulnerable, extremely vulnerable. You have forty bullets left in that extended mag; that's at least three more kills if you're smart about them. 

Back to the rooftop. Now that the guy below is reloading his gun, I roll right back and blast at them. This works for me 9 out of 10 times. Flash, roll, roll again, unload. Usually they'll try to roll themselves, but that can screw them over even more:

When you're reloading, you can do it faster or slower. Reloading and then falling, jumping, or vaulting can reload your gun automatically. This isn't MUCH faster, but it can be handy, especially if the area you move to gives you decent cover. This can also work with rolling; start a reload, then roll. When you get back up, your gun should be reloaded. For rolling, though, THIS IS NOT ALWAYS THE CASE. Sometimes, you'll still have to reload your gun when you get up. For example:

Say I'm shooting someone with a standard SMG. I use up all 30 of my bullets trying for a headshot and he slips into cover. My guy starts autoreloading at the same time that I try to roll. By now, the enemy has started shooting at me. When I'm back on my feet, I haven't reloaded my gun and have now spent about 5 seconds being shot. I'm dead. Only reload when you're sure it's vital.

Let me also throw in a few details about some 'underdog' weapons. There's one in each category, besides the Heavy weapons.

PISTOLS: Pistol .50

This is for owners of SE/CE versions only, unfortunately. a .50 cal Desert Eagle, much more powerful than the .357 found in IV. This pistol, when used accordingly, can be one of the most lethal weapons in the game. As soon as I could get onto Online, I got some guns. I got the bullpup shotty, hammer, and of course, this pistol. This gun is free in the store, as are all paints and accessories. This is what kept me alive through levels 1-50, and then some. I never even touched the AP pistol until I finally decided to own all the guns. This gun, for players with health up to 40/100 can kill in 3 shots max. Combine this with the rather fast fire rate, this gun is perfect for catching off guard players and getting headshots. This gun is extremely powerful and accurate, and should definitely be kept around.

SMGS/LMGS: SMG 

This is the gun I see being used the least in Online. It seems no one touches this, as they've already unlocked/found a 'better' gun by the time they notice it. The SMG bridges the gap between SMG and AR, and does it greatly. This is one of the most accurate automatic weapons in the game, especially with a scope. It also can hold up to 60 bullets, and can be confused quite easily for the Micro SMG from a distance. Speaking of the Micro SMG, the SMG pools its ammo with it, so you can get ammo for this gun for about half the price of a pack of ammo for an AR. 

ASSAULT RIFLES: Carbine Rifle
Despite the oxymoron in its name, the Carbine Rifle is a very, very well stacked gun. Many people (especially in autoaim games) only rely on this gun until they get the more potent Advanced Rifle, but seem to overlook the staggering accuracy of this rifle. Basically, the first five or six shots you shoot from this will go exactly where you want them. The accuracy drops decently after that, but you shouldn't need more than that to do some decent damage allowing for a burst. This gun is excellent for players who can't stand the scope of sniper rifles, but still want to snag long range headshots. 

SNIPERS: Bolt Action Sniper Rifle

Both the snipers in the game are about equal, but for players who play a lot of deathmatches, this will likely be your preferred rifle for one giant reason: you can silence it. This hides you from the map and truly makes you a stealthy assassin. keep in mind that if you don't manage a headshot, you won't do much damage and will likely lose your target if you aren't keen on follow up shots.

SHOTGUNS: Sawed Off Shotgun

Many, MANY players (myself included) love the Auto Shotgun, but the potency of the Sawn Off is still to be reckoned with. This gun is a one hit kill in close range regardless of health. The range is actually quite decent, and can allow for some quick hits if you're caught off guard in cover. It can also be shot from bikes.

THROWN: Tear Gas

This can be especially lethal for players who never bothered with it. They won't know what to do when their health starts trickling away, and will sometimes run even further into the gas until they realize. By then, it'll be easy to drop them with a few shots anywhere.

Hope this helped. 

Great addition! I didn't even know there were free aim sessions. Sounds like a different kind of monster. I don't have the collector's edition, so I have zero knowledge of its weapons, but I do agree with everything else. I do love the awesome power of the sawed-off, but its lack of a suppressor makes me feel vulnerable in deathmatches. I used tear gas just the other day while playing against two guys. They hid behind a dumpster and lobbed grenades, so I tossed some gas at them. Don't think they ever experienced it because they just sat there and died. Also, I don't know if throwing tear gas marks your position on the map like grenades. Would like to test that. Would make a great sneaky alternative.

Great topic! Might I add a little vehicular combat tips? I've noticed a lot of players may be very good shooters on foot but not so hot while driving, especially since you're forced to free aim, so ill start there. Many players are addicted to auto-aim, which is fine since its the main choice inlmost all of rockstars games, but it would behoove you to do some practice shooting while driving for a few good reasons in case you find yourself in a pickle while roaming freemode.
1- Choose your freemode vehicle wisely- With so many vehicles in gtao and a garage that allows you to own up to 10, faster is almost always better...or is it? Some vehicles present other advantages to protect you while driving, some are just very adapt to certain environments and some are just great for escaping although many players have a supercar which they drive regularly so outrunning may not always be available. Some cars like the entity have no rear window which prevents the driver from taking damage when being followed, more expert drivers will use this advantage and drive in reverse while attacking making them all but invulnerable to the victim. Smaller cars are more nimble and allow tight turning and easier travel through alleys, the voltic coil may just be the best city car for this reason. Its tiny, low to the ground windows also make for a tough target. So consider having a freemode vehicle that you will drive often and get very familiar with for when you'll need to push it to survive. Get used to lesser traveled alleys around your property for use as an escape, an experienced driver won't need to check the minimap and knows where that tight bottleneck or ramp is that will give them the edge.
2-weapon choice- There's not much to choose from when shooting from a vehicle, the smg or the ap pistol are your main choices. The ap seems to blow up vehicles easier so be careful you don't end up in bad sport. Sticky bombs and grenades are a sure fire way to get there as well so avoid them too. If you must use a sticky bomb, lure your pursuiant into a tight alley behind you and throw it at an object or parked car and detonate it once your enemy nears it.
You want to aim gunfire into windows, not just for the driver seat since guns don't always fire the bullets directly at your crosshair, a lucky stray bullet can be a headshot (most driver deaths are) and that's all you need.
3- Tactics- The most ideal position when fighting in a vehicle is having your target in front of you. This allows you to drive and shoot with the least amount of distraction from one or the other, but if that's not how its playing out, try some of these tips.
In case you didn't know, every vehicle has an Ebrake (R1) which is vital in vehicular combat. Its capabilities include almost equal stopping power to normal brake and with a little practice will allow tight 90-180 degree turns. This can be used to aid in evasion and offense when situations call for it. Got an enemy on your tail? Let off the gas at an upcoming alley entrance and tap the Ebrake to steer into it, hopefully your admirer is too late on their braking and have to turn around. Or if they're a little farther behind, swing your vehicle all the way around at joust them with oncoming gunfire of your own.
Just know the faster your moving, the harder a target you are, but the more risk you run of losing control and crashing. At high speeds(unless a straight line) its better to just try to get your enemy to crash so they're a sitting duck for you to pepper their windows with lead. Ram them into oncoming traffic or poles that don't give way and 180 when successful. You'll be the faster moving target coming at them and have the advantage while they try to get out of the jam theyre in.
Pressing the right stick (R3) shows what is behind you and can be used to shoot at followers but at a great risk of crashing.
Size up your opponents car versus yours and use any advantages your vehicle may have on theirs.
Do not take on vehicles with multiple passengers, they have a big advantage, try to evade them.
In auto aim lobbies players on foot have the advantage of locking on to drivers, zigzag your way at them if you must run them over, or you can take out a driver yourself if you can get out on foot without being run over.

Very helpful. Driving is probably my biggest weakness. I got lucky with spotting a fusilade outside the thrift shop in the tutorial. Fell in love with it immediately. Handbraking kicks me to the curb every time. I need to practice more, but I feel like I'm missing something. I'm much more used to IV's driving with all its flaws.

Another tip: No matter how much you abide by these rules ... remember that you'll be f*cked by lag anyways so why even bother? 

Seriously,  I can unload a full clip in to someone's head and they won't die, during which they  can just turn around and casually kill me in four hits. Skill hardly matters in this game, really. 

You can still work around lag. Keeping out of sight, using shotguns, or lobbing grenades helps alleviate lag rage. I feel your frustration, but I disagree. Skill makes all the difference in the world.

Pelican
  • Pelican

The one who knocks

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

I'd rather say it's strategy over skill :p

Refuso
  • Refuso

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Great topic! I didn't know that where you take cover depends on where the camera is pointing instead of your character. Guess I should probably try rolling too

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'd rather say it's strategy over skill :p

I guess it depends. You could have a warlord mastermind that can't shoot straight lose to some idiot with muscle memory, just like you have some overconfident "veteran" player lose to someone who just picked up the game but thought out a clever way to even the odds. So, yeah, I retract my statement. Both are awesome. Rare to see both in one player.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:53 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 20 November 2013 - 04:53 PM.

you forgot the most important one
switch to free aim
without that it's just

Press aim.
Press fire.
BE A GOD.

MrYoungGun
  • MrYoungGun

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

Honestly you should play auto aim and free aim to maximize your knowledge and versatility in this game, I have friends that play one or the other or both, so I always have fun with whoever is online. It's no secret free aim is tougher when it comes to getting kills, but you can survive what would be auto aim certain death also. I've found that firing bursts or semi automatically is more effective in free aim than just squeezing off a whole magazine while strafing, and using hip fire or run n gun can be a great help too. The combat pistol is a nice blend of power and accuracy allowing headshots to come with regularity. Free aim is half placing accurate shots and half making yourself a tough target to hit. Standing still is a sure fire way to get killed, so keep moving around the perimeter of the map looking for targets to fire on. Kills will be stolen by other players and you'll steal theirs as getting shot in the back is the norm. You'll spend way more ammo playing FA so be sure you have plenty for your favorite gun if its not a pistol, shotgun or, smg. Ammo for those guns are found all over the map but your character will switch guns when you pick them up if they're deemed an upgrade to the one you're using.
There's no substitution for practice in FA. The more you play the better you'll get, and maybe just maybe you'll be that guy in the center of the map taking down any would be challengers. I've reached the ceiling in terms of free aim ability, which allows me to win matches here and there but the best most dominant players are incredibly accurate and its easy to get flustered when they're in your room. If the competition is too tough, just find another lobby with players comparable to your skill.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

I found another little trick for people who snipe. If you're sniping and someone is moving faster than your scope can keep up, while aiming, combat roll and aim your camera in the direction they're going for quicker "catch-up" to their character. I noticed it also works well when being shot while sniping to roll, look for who is shooting you, aim the camera at them, then you have a much quicker sight on them than if you looking around in the scope or stopping looking then started again. Hope that made sense.

• mo-seph likes this

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:48 AM Edited by MysterBeefy, 12 January 2014 - 09:53 PM.

Another tip is to burst-fire instead of holding the trigger. The added stability will help against spray & pray characters. Don't lose your cool and they shouldn't be an issue. Also, when dealing with multiple opponents, try to stay at range. Most will try to spam explosives or flank you, both tactics are difficult to handle. If you don't have any longer range weapons, try to bottle-neck them to you, making them one big target. If that's not possible, running away while throwing sticky bomb traps helps, along with cutting corners and climbing away. While being chased, I recommend against climbing ladders because it leaves you as an open target. 

Edit: Added a few minor changes to the "guide".

RealUnimportant
  • RealUnimportant

Playing GTA since before you were born

• Members

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:48 AM

Flashlights can be turned on/off with Right on the D-pad, this can be a lifesaver if your only available weapons have the lights equipped. You can only change their status while aiming however, so be sure to find a secluded spot if you're already deep in a combat situation!

Don't forget that you can shoot through most foliage, so if you're tracking a target feel free to try a shot if you think you've gauged their movements appropriately.

If you're used to auto-aim lobbies but fancy moving to free-aim, try a few Gang Attacks to get you started; I was using free-aim to boost my RP from a couple of missions and accidentally triggered an Attack, and actually did much better than I would normally because I *had* to take more care over my actions.

2Koe
  • 2Koe

OG

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:36 AM

Ok first of all cover is for cowards. I've killed more people than anybody in this game while never taking cover. Second of all, the assault shotgun is by far the cheapest gun in the game. It takes absolutely no skill to use, and it doesnt make you any better.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:58 AM

Ok first of all cover is for cowards. I've killed more people than anybody in this game while never taking cover. Second of all, the assault shotgun is by far the cheapest gun in the game. It takes absolutely no skill to use, and it doesnt make you any better.

These tips aren't for "the best" players. They're for players who are lacking in some way with gunfights. If you pwn everyone in sight with no effort, then good for you. But don't call a tactic cheap or cowardly without giving help in return. This topic isn't for chest pumping. It's to help anyone who needs it.

• Magick likes this

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

Ok first of all cover is for cowards.

That´s as clueless as you can get. The way to win a gunfight is positioning yourself so you end up shooting from to cover to a guy standing in the open.

• TheKidKid415 likes this

rednation58
  • rednation58

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

wondered if anyone is having this same issue I am having. When I zoom in and fire my weapon at the same time - as well as trying to roll when locked on in TDM - this triggers my character to randomly start eating candy bars in a middle of a gun fight which ultimately results in my death.

I'm not pressing select at all and my character will stand there and eat or drink --- anyone else??

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

First thing that comes to mind is you're pressing down both thumbsticks at the same time. Hold select to look at what your player action or whatever it's called is. If it matches what your character's been doing, I'm positive that's what's happening. If not, then I'm clueless.

rednation58
  • rednation58

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

Yes he's performing the action in the quick menu - so holding L3 + R3 = select?

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

Yep. Whatever your player action is set to can quickly be performed by pressing both thumbsticks simultaneously. Helpful when you need a quick health boost (Also, you can hold the buttons to make the action infinite, like the numerous videos on youtube of players jerkin' it forever. Beating a dead horse in my opinion. Pun somewhat intended). Frustrating if you fat finger when getting shot at. Here's an added little tip that I haven't seen anyone throw out yet. If you're on a mission you can hold select and use your quick gps to give you directions to your objective. Much faster and safer than pausing to go to the map. I've had a few instances where it didn't work, but those were missions where multiple objectives were involved.

rednation58
  • rednation58

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

yeah fat fingers here ---- i crush controllers --- :evilgrin:

RandyTheMental
  • RandyTheMental

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

I sort of skimmed through the comments so I may have missed it. But just in case, you can use food items to heal while in your car and behind cover. Most players don't seem to bother with the healing items because of their long animations. These animations are cancelled when you're in either of the above situations. So basically like using a health pack at that point. And it comes in handy a lot when you're fighting against groups. This can be used in any mode including deathmatch.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

I'm glad you mentioned that. I've tried it a few times but couldn't get it to work. Seeing as how it could be such a helpful tip, would you please explain in more detail how you eat while behind cover or in a car? I know I'm missing something stupidly simple.

RandyTheMental
  • RandyTheMental

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

I'm glad you mentioned that. I've tried it a few times but couldn't get it to work. Seeing as how it could be such a helpful tip, would you please explain in more detail how you eat while behind cover or in a car? I know I'm missing something stupidly simple.

the only food items you can do this with are Ps and Qs and egochasers. egochasers fill up more health but you can carry a lot more Ps and Qs. though in a pinch you can spam consume them by repeatedly clicking it. 

And you need to directly select them from your inventory. If you try to use the action for it, it won't work in the way you want it to. I'm sure you know how to access your inventory but for those who don't know, you just hold down select. 

Nice tips by the way. Should be very helpful to players who are struggling in combat. 

• MysterBeefy likes this

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

Ah, thanks so much. I was pressing both sticks to do it quickly and I was trying to drink the coke knock-off, so no wonder I couldn't do it. Again, thank you. Should prove to be extremely beneficial. Once I play around with it and get comfortable using it I'll see where it can fit into the original post.

RandyTheMental
  • RandyTheMental

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Ah, thanks so much. I was pressing both sticks to do it quickly and I was trying to drink the coke knock-off, so no wonder I couldn't do it. Again, thank you. Should prove to be extremely beneficial. Once I play around with it and get comfortable using it I'll see where it can fit into the original post.

Happy to help. the more people that know these things, the more fun I have killing a challenging opponent.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

That's the exact reason I made this thread. Too many players get destroyed online and I firmly believe the majority of them would do leaps and bounds better if they simply knew a few little tricks. I couldn't count how many team deathmatches or missions I've done where my teammates laugh at me and call me stupid for rolling. Like, seriously? I've had one person ask how to roll and thanked me when I explained how and why you should, but other than that, people just laugh. Guess it's like drop-shotting in CoD. People laugh until they try it. Also, Lacking in shooting know-how might be a partial reason why there are so many tanks around. Not sure what the real reason is. Best answer I ever got was, "For the Lulz". I don't buy that. If you could destroy someone so bad they quit the game when all you're using is a pistol to their whatever, I think that'd give you more "lulz" than being a dick to a random passerby.

Laker23
  • Laker23

Greatness From Small Beginnings

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

This is such a great guide, honestly very helpful. I'm not a poor shooter but I'm not an excellent one, hopefully I can use some of this to my advantage.

Somebody else in this thread said if you put a silencer on a sniper rifle it hides your marker on the map, is this true? Would have been extremely useful in a death match I played earlier.

H8GodMode
  • H8GodMode

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:25 AM Edited by H8GodMode, 05 February 2014 - 01:28 AM.

amazing post op. i knew some of the common sense things like cover/ stealth ect. but i did not know you could actually zoom your range in w the thumbstick. time to put some of these tips to work!!!

///M
  • ///M

E39

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:13 AM

Wow never knew about the assualt shotgun.

Never wanted to pay for it cus i'm flat broke and the stats were about equal to the rifle.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

This is such a great guide, honestly very helpful. I'm not a poor shooter but I'm not an excellent one, hopefully I can use some of this to my advantage.

Somebody else in this thread said if you put a silencer on a sniper rifle it hides your marker on the map, is this true? Would have been extremely useful in a death match I played earlier.

In deathmatches silencers do keep your shots from giving away your position on the map. Silencers are invaluable in deathmatches. They don't do much when fighting other players in the open world except for lowering your chance of getting a wanted star, but they're still more useful than that sliver of stat boost for not having them. In my opinion, they're the best attachment you can have. Also, while in deathmatches, you can call up Lester (or your opponent/s can call him) to reveal the opposing team on the radar for one minute.

Thanks for the compliments. Glad I could help. Maybe some of you guys and I can have a match or two one day. I would like a challenge.  :evilgrin:

• H8GodMode likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users