Photo

GTA Gunfighting Tips

117 replies to this topic
MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2013 - 05:24 PM Edited by MysterBeefy, 07 May 2014 - 09:19 AM.

POPULAR

1. Never bring a gun to a bazooka fight
  2. How to bedazzle your gun like a pro
  3. Cover your ass
  4. Blind fire for dummies
  5. Zoom in to see the goods
  6. Shoot 'em in the head!
  7. Ninji skillz
  8. Combat roll  makes you badass
  9. Hunting your prey the S-M-R-T way
  10. Assault shotgun = WIN
  11. Body Armor doesn't make you a badass
  12. Last mag, last mag!
  13. Remember, It's just a game. Or is it?
  14. How to Drive-By in 7 easy steps
  15. Personal Favs
  16. TL/DR

​ Change Log:

11/18/13: added to Ninji Skillz

01/12/14: added: TL/DR Section, Cosmetic Changes, Melee Weapons in section one. Flashlight modification in section two, bonus tip in section three, Bonus Tip in section 8.

02/12/14: added: How to Drive-By in 7 easy steps

05/07/14: added to Cover Your Ass; added Personal Favs

Never Bring a Gun to a Bazooka Fight

Everyone loves the assault rifles. They're well-rounded weapons with solid damage, magazine capacity, & versatility, and superior accuracy, range, & fire rate. For most situations an assault rifle can be the only tool you need to win. But, having a decent understanding of all the weapons' advantages and disadvantages will help you as a player make better informed decisions over which weapons are better for different encounters.
  • Pistols - Extremely accurate at all ranges and make quick work of your opponent when aiming for the head. Best used at short range.
  • Shotguns - Devastating in tight corners, over short distances, as a defensive weapon (e.g. when pinned behind a dumpster by multiple opponents). Best used while behind cover, firing blind.
  • SMGs - Faster fire rate than assault rifles, but less accurate. Best used for short to medium range encounters.
  • Sniper Rifles - Unmatched when used over great distance. A lack of Auto-aim and a slow fire rate leave you vulnerable at shorter ranges. Use with caution.
  • MGs - Slower, but stronger than assault rifles. Extremely accurate when single or burst fire is used. Best used at longer ranges against less accurate weapons.
  • Miniguns - Rate of fire is unmatched. Anyone in the line of fire will lose. Cover & rolling can't be used while weapon is held. Anyone not in the line of fire will have a severe advantage. Makes quick work of vehicles. Best used as a fear tactic.
  • Grenades - Instant kill if caught in range. Makes quick work of vehicles. Can be dropped to make a quick, temporary booby trap. Best used for flushing out players in cover.
  • Sticky Bombs - Same as grenades, but have to be detonated manually. Best used for traps.
  • Tear Gas - Creates cloud of slow damaging gas over several yards. Can be used to block enemies from entering a doorway. Makes a great scare tactic. Best used to flush out enemies from cover.
  • Jerry Cans - Leaves trail of gasoline that can be ignited in various ways. Can be used to quickly destroy vehicles. Upon contact with enemies, the fire will instantly incapacitate and rapidly drain health. Slow and clumsy usage makes it impractical. Can be used for fire traps. Best used for humor.
  • Grenade Launchers - Accurate up to medium range. Destroys vehicles on impact or close proximity. Easily eliminates enemies hiding behind cover. Best used to quickly destroy close range helicopters. 
  • RPGs - Similar to grenade launcher. Slower rate of fire. Covers greater distance. Best used for "the lulz".
  • Melee - Very short range, medium damage. Useful for moving/damaging vehicles.

How to Bedazzle Your Gun Like a Pro

Weapon attachments can give you a life-saving advantage in most situations. Here are the different attachments, and why each of them are useful in their own way. 
  • Silencers - Arguably the best attachment, silencers, well...keep your weapon silent. More specifically, in deathmatches, they keep other players from seeing your position on the radar every time you fire. If you've played a deathmatch and wondered why everyone around you knows exactly where you, having an unsilenced weapon is probably why.
  • Extended Magazines - Extended mags are like the U.S. Postal service. They're never appreciated until they're needed.  In most instances, the extra bullets are just there as a security blanket, to make you feel better without doing anything meaningful. But every once in a while, you may encounter a situation that eats your bullets for all they're worth (e.g. encountering three, four, or five enemies in a row). Most players know that feeling of having to reload while having someone shoot at you. Having the extra bullets helps keep that feeling to a minimum.
  • Grips & Scopes - Grips and scopes do the same thing, they increase accuracy. This is useful in all encounters, but shows it most when in longer ranged engagements. Higher accuracy helps you hit your target, which gives you a greater chance of survival. Pretty self explanatory. 
  • Flashlights - Flashlights should NEVER be on when in a deathmatch, regardless of the time of day. The light gives away your position faster than you can say, "I'm dead". They're useful against NPCs to help you see in the dark, but they're horrible against other players. Just leave them off. Better yet, take them off all your weapons except one you don't use. That way, if you do ever need the light, it'll never be in the way untill needed.

Cover Your Ass

If you take nothing else away from this guide, please, remember this: USE COVER! You wouldn't believe how many gunfights I've been in where my oponent would start firing at me from the middle of a field or empty parking lot. That's one of the WORST ways to start a fight. If you don't know, to use cover, simply walk up to something that looks like you can hide behind it (e.g. a wall, dumpster, picket fence, car, etc.), and press R1/RB. Where your character faces doesn't determine where you hide, your camera does. If you've ever noticed your character run to some random cover, not even close to the wall you were standing next to, that's why. Putting cover between you and your enemy astronomically raises your chance of survival. A bonus tip is to get a good look at your cover. Makes sure your head, butt, or knees aren't sticking out. If they are, find better cover fast.

Edit: To better explain how the camera determines where you go into cover, not where your character faces, I'll try to give an example. Let's say you're between two walls that are about 3' apart. You're close enough to both that you could easily go to cover against either wall. if you stand still and press R1/RB you'll go to the wall that your camera (your perspective that you can move with the right stick) is looking at. Even if your camera is facing straight at your characters face, so he/she is looking at one wall and you are looking at another, your character will always go to the cover you're looking at. I hope that made sense...

Blind Fire For Dummies

Blind fire is a simple technique you can use any time you are using cover. While behind cover, without aiming, just start shooting. Your character will either expose one or two arms (depending on the weapon being used), the weapon, and and a hail of righteous democracy. Blind fire sounds amazing already, right? Well, kind of. Firing blind is like a double-edged sword. Its pros are the already mentioned smaller target you become, and since your chest is covered, you can't be auto-aimed. Its cons are that you are less accurate than if aiming, and you can't auto-aim either. I find blind fire to be useful in two situations: the first being a situation where you see an easy kill at most a few yards away from you, but you know or feel like another players is waiting for you to break cover for an easy kill of their own. The second situation I've found useful is when a player gets the drop on you. By either sneaking or sprinting, another player has placed themself dangerously close to your comfort zone. They're hiding behind cover, you're hiding behind cover, and neither of you wants to pop out to make the first hit because you both know the second shooter will have auto-aim, and probably the kill.  Ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether blind firing in any given situation is advantageous. I've found the assault rifles useful for their large magazines and surprising accuracy while blind firing, but by far the most useful weapon to use while firing blind is the assault shotgun. I'll explain why a little later.

Zoom In To See The Goods

Now that you're safely snug behind some cover and ready for whatever your opposition could shoot at you, here's a small tip to help aim at enemies that are just a little too far away. While aiming with whatever boomstick you find useful, click the right thumbstick. Your weapon should zoom, albeit in varying degrees depending on the range of chosen boomstick. Why would zooming in on your target be useful? Two reasons: one being the ability to see subtle movement far away, an example being a foot moving at the edge of a dumpster fifty yards away. The second being a great lift off your shoulders when trying to make a headshot. That tennis ball sized head just grew to a soccor ball. "Well what do I need to make headshots for?" you may ask. I'm glad you did. 

Shoot 'em In The Head!

Headshots make quick work of every character in GTA, players and NPCs alike, and for good reason, because...they're...headshots... Anyway, a headshot to any NPC will instantly kill said NPC. One shot, one kill, no muss, no fuss. Players on the other hand are a little different. There's a myth going around that certain helmets help protect your dome, but that's a different topic. Back to headshots. If you're having trouble making quick headshots, I behoove you to practice. Practice, practice, practice. I played Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare DLC until I hated it (unpossible!), and one core component of that game is headshots are one of your few ways to kill the undead. Amazing practice for any gunfights you will encounter in GTA V, online or otherwise. If you don't own RDD or the Undead Nightmare DLC, playing survival makes great practice. To help get you started with making headshots, auto-aim your target, and nudge the right stick up. That simple. With practice headshots will become an involuntary reflex. A few tips to help you out just a smidge when trying to get that headshot are to use a weapon that can auto-aim at the distance of your target, zoom in for a more accurate shot, and to change your targeting reticle to advanced. 

Ninji Skillz

Sneaking is a unique aspect of GTA Online. It's absolutely useless when trying to hide from other players in the open world, since every player can see your character blip on their map. It has its uses when hiding from the police, but that's a different issue. Where the sneak stat shows its true value is in a deathmatch. The easiest way to die in a deathmatch besides suicide is by allowing other players to know your position. Running, sprinting, climbing, falling, brushing against almost anything, using explosives, driving a vehicle, and shooting an unsilenced firearm all create a "radius of sound". It appears as a red circle that grows and shrinks on your radar. Different actions create different levels of sound, but you want to try to keep all sound as minimal as possible because any enemy player inside the "sound radius" instantly sees your players position on their radar, which makes you public enemy number one.

Forgot to mention while aiming, if you hold X/A, you can move faster, but it doesn't work if your aim is zoomed. It's great help when sneaking or trying to move faster without taking your sights off a target. Also, while sneaking, strafe rolling (rolling sideways) is faster than holding the run button. 

Combat Roll Makes You Badass

Rolling is in my opinion the best & most overlooked technique in GTA Online. To roll, hold the aim button, move in any direction, and while moving, press the jump button. Simple as that. This simple move has saved my ass more times than I can count. If caught off guard by a player shooting you from any direction, the first thing you should do is roll. "Why?" you ask? For one thing, rolling breaks your oponents auto-aim. Yes, it is possible, but only for a second. Surprisingly enough, many players are so caught up with trying to get that one extra kill, they neglect to relock-on to your character, giving you that much needed, if slight, boost in your chances to survive the ambush. Also, if caught off guard, rolling gives you a precious moment to catch your bearings. If shot by someone out of view you can roll to the nearest cover (which there always should be), and at the same time turn the camera toward your would-be executioner, raising your odds of surviving such a disadvantage. Remember, speed is key. *Bonus Tip* : While using a sniper rifle, you can roll to quickly aim in another direction. 

Hunting Your Prey The S-M-R-T Way

The Most difficult thing to master in a deathmatch or gunfight is knowing when to do what. If you feel like no matter what choice you make is wrong, fear not. Here are a few suggestions to help understand what to do in different situations, but remember, every situation is different.
  • When to break cover: Just because you're hidden safely behind a wall or hiding in a dumpster, don't think you're untouchable. Keep an eye on any and every direction that's open to enemy fire. If an enemy shoots you from behind, either quickly turn the corner or roll to face your attacker. If you're lucky and the other player hasn't seen you, all the better. Another reason to break cover is if either an enemy has spotted you & left your line of sight, or you have killed all players in sight, both for the same reason. They know where you are. An enemy who knows your location knows your weak spot/s & will most likely attack from your flank, from behind, from above, or explosively if you're covered on all sides. 
  • How to move through a deathmatch: Never sprint anywhere. Don't even light jog. Take things slow. Find cover first thing. Check your surroundings for enemies and the next best cover you have that's closer to your target. Break cover and SNEAK to your target. If another player sees you, they see you, but it's better to take that chance than let everyone on the map know exactly where you are. If you can, hug walls. It'll make you harder so see and it's faster than sneaking and just as quiet. As soon as you reach your next cover, immediately scan your surroundings again, then repeat. If you're patient, your enemies will come to you without knowing where you are until it's too late. 
  • Knowing when to reload: This is rarely a "tactical" decision. After a kill, reload. Simple as that. But, there are a few situations where that second means the difference between who's dead and who's on to the next victim. Rarely I'll come into a gunfight with a player who after a handfull of bullets has to reload. Needless to say, those gunfights very quickly end. If you do happen to get caught in a gunfight and have to reload and you have no cover, roll, then reload. You'll throw off their auto-aim and give you a greater chance to survive. 
  • Knowing when to run away: Running away isn't even entertained as a possibility for most players. It's a tough decision for everyone, but it's better to run away and survive than to die from a sense of pride or greed. Many players HAVE to get that kill, regardless of any other factor. They see an enemy, they shoot. They don't take into account if they're outnumbered, how much health they have, if they have to reload soon, if they're even in cover, or any other disadvantage that makes engaging in a fight more trouble than it's worth. Consider your options before engaging, and if another player finds you first while you're at a huge disadvantage, they're no shame in running. If for no other reason than to fool them into chasing you so you can ambush them. Fight smarter, not harder.

Assault Shotgun = WIN

The assault shotgun is arguably the most overpowered and most fun weapon in GTA V. Its damage is devistating up to medium range, and surprisingly accurate to boot. The assault shotgun's rate of fire is exceptional for the damage it deals. Simply hold the trigger and let the weapon do the work or tap the trigger repeatedly for an even faster flood of destruction. But it doesn't stop there kids, this bad boy can be upgraded from an already impressive magazine of 8 shells to a whopping 32 shell magazine! If you EVER get into a no hope situation, whip this bad boy out and I gaurantee if you don't kill any and everyone trying to end you, at least you'll go down having a blast. The assault shotgun is a force to be reckoned with. 

Body Armor Doesn't Make You A Badass

Body armor is a wonderful tool in the right hands, but a deadly trap if not understood. I've heard many players and "guide-givers?" (yeah...that's a word...maybe...) say it's a waste of money buying armor. If this was a census, I'd mark "strongly disagree". I always, ALWAYS buy armor, every chance I get. It gives you a greater chance of survival, and that alone makes it worth the few hundred bucks. Don't get me wrong, armor doesn't make you invincible, and it doesn't make you much harder to kill, especially if you're being shot in the head, but it helps, and that can mean everything. Just don't do anything you wouldn't normally do without it and your body armor should serve you well. Granted, if you see armor sitting in the middle of an empty parking lot, I'd advise against it. You open yourself up to a quick death and even if you do nab the armor, you're only half of the way back to cover. If you happen to be near some armor, sure, nab it, but don't risk your life for it. But remember, any item picked up in a deathmatch disappears from the radar. Everyone's radar. It's like a sneaky way of your enemies finding your location, or you finding theirs. Use with caution.

Last Mag, Last Mag!

Running out of ammo is embarassing in any situation. You start up a mission with some friends or strangers and the first thing you have to do is run to Ammu-Nation, halting the mission and making everyone wait on you. Not a good feeling. But where it really stings is when another player comes out of nowhere and makes you their personal bullet sponge for the next hour or so. This griefer and little 'ol you go at it for a few dozen minutes when you suddenly realize all your bullets are gone. Oh shi-BANG! and you're done. You can either leave to another session or slowly, painstakingly make your way to an Ammu-Nation and hopefully have enough cash to buy some bullets to keep this bullet train 'a chuggin'. Needless to say, keeping your ammo topped off is a simple way to give you an advantage in any gunfight. Also, the higher your gun skill, the more ammo you can carry, up to 9999 at skill 100 with all guns. If you're having trouble raising your gun skill at an acceptable rate, I suggest running survivals. They're a great way to raise your shooting & stamina skills, refill your ammo if it's running low, give you brief access to weapons you won't unlock until higher levels, they pay $20,000 if completed, and give a few thousand RP. What's not to love?

Remember, It's Just A Game. Or Is It?

GTA Online is an amazing, emersive experience that provides truly endless hours of entertainment. Being such an awesome game, it will attract all kinds of players, including the less desirables (e.g. trolls, griefers, etc.). Some players have the most fun when causing the most pain. Instead of giving in and fighting back against usually a group of players who grinded and hacked their way to the top and are "bored" with this masterpiece of gaming, I suggest you simply switch to another session, or even leave the game for a minute or two. Go make a snack, smoke a cigarette, use the restroom, do your homework (for the the children reading this with apathetic parents), etc. Playing a game while angry makes most people play worse. It clouds their judgement, screws up their coordination, and throws their strategic planning out the window. If you're one of these people, or even if you're not, the next time you encounter a troll or griefer, I ask you to take a minute to cool off, just to see if it helps. When you come back to the game you may surprise yourself with how much better you're playing. Grand Theft Auto is a game. It's meant to entertain. Enjoy it.

How to Drive-By in 7 easy steps

Vehicle gunfights are an inevitable part of GTA Online, so knowing how to survive a shootout between cars is paramount to becoming a good all-around player. Many players are either good at shooting or driving, possibly neither, rarely both. Hopefully these tips help you balance out.

1. Plan out Your Route: The most simple tip is also the most crucial. If you're being chased, before you start shooting back, get a good look at your minimap and where you are. Look for a side street or alley, heavy traffic, trees, anything that could slow down your attacker and give you another second or two to prepare either your escape or retaliation. If you're trying to escape, sudden quick turns are beneficial, but hard to pull off if it's raining, or if your vehicle has crappy handling. If you're trying to retaliate, watch out for dead ends, oncoming traffic and which way the road turns, which I'll explain in step 5.
  2. Choose the Right Weapon: Your choice of weapon while driving are the pistol, combat pistol, ap pistol, micro-smg, sawed-off shotgun (while on motorcycles or a few other vehicles), tear gas, grenades, stickies, and molotovs. The pistol & combat pistol are as accurate as they are slow. If you can aim well, they're a viable option. But, with much better alternatives, they're mostly overlooked. The ap is my weapon of choice while driving. It has a high rate of fire and it's surprisingly accurate. It's major downside is sometimes it's too accurate for when you're just tyring to spray-and-pray behind you while weaving through traffic. Next up is the sawed-off. It is absolutely devisating at close range and still packs a wallop at medium ranges. It's major downside is its slow fire rate. The surprisingly high accuracy and slow fire rate can be unforgiving if you miss. Great for blowing out tires. I have yet to find a viable use for tear gas while driving. Grenades and molotovs can be thrown while your vehicle is inert or dropped while driving. Grenades make great timed mines if your attacker is moving in a straight line and you can time your drops. Molotovs are a lifesaver because they can blow out tires that are bulletproof. Don't waste them if you have them. And last, stickies are your most powerful offense and defense in a drive-by. They can be thrown at all times and be detonated at will. You can throw them at pesky helos, leave them as mines, or whatever you can think of. Just be wary of using explosives in drive-bys. If the other persons vehicle is insured, you will pay a fine, unless they have a bounty.
  3. Know Your Vehicle: Sounds simple, but knowing the vehicle you're driving like back of your hand can be a daunting task. Whenever you get a new vehicle or upgrade, take your car for a spin. Test its turning, its brakes, its tops speed, its acceleration, whether the tires are bulletproof, where the windows are, how heavy it is, the color, everything. Knowing how your car drives is just as crucial as your ability as a driver and a shooter. You may know how to drive super cars better than anyone, but if that's all you can drive, be prepared for a quick death if you ever have to drive something else. Use your vehicle to your advantage. Don't try to force it to drive how you want. Sedans have crappy handling and slide a lot. Use that. Sports cars have great speed. Use that. Motorcyles are small and can weave through traffic. Use that. Know how open your vehicle is. The bigger the windows, the bigger the target on your forehead. Be wary of the vehicles color. Dark colors help you blend (especially at night), while bright colors give you away and can even hurt your eyes when looking behind you while trying to aim. 
  4. Key Areas to Aim: Your enemy's head, for obvious reasons. Tires, because a blowout pretty much guarantees youre escape or their capture (if their tires aren't bulletproof). And last, a lesser-known "weak spot" on cars, the gas tank. For most vehicles it's located on the driver's side in front of the rear wheel at the bottom of the car, but it varies for others. If you're out of explosives or want to save money or whatever reason, you can easily blow up cars by shooting the gas tank.
  5. Shooting Behind You and Not Crashing: It's not as hard as you think. The main thing to remember is which way the road goes while you're not looking. By clicking RS/R3 you can quickly snap the camera behind you to see where your attacker is and make a fast shot. If you do not press the fire button while looking behind you, the camera snap back to its forward facing position. If you do shoot, when you stop, the camera will slowly pan around back to the forward facing position. Keep that in mind if you have a turn or traffic ahead.
  6. Avoiding Stickies: This is probably the biggest problem for most people that are chasing/being chased, mainly for two reasons. One being that stickies have a wide blast radius of car-consuming death, and two being that stickies are, in my opinion, the number on most overused troll tactic. The short answer is stickies are hard to avoid if thrown by someone who can aim worth a damn. The long answer is you can better your chances of escape by swerving, making frequent turns, keeping on the move (e.g. not crashing), and avoiding other vehicles. Driving in a straight line or, god forbid, sitting still, makes you a significantly harder target. Maybe even enough to not be worth it.
  7. When to Leave Your Vehicle: Leaving your vehicle while being chased is a bold move, and not a decision to be taken lightly. There are three benefits to leaving your vehicle. One, you can find adequate cover to protect yourself; two, you have your full range of weaponry; three, you can lock onto your attacker for more precise shots. There are three downsides to leaving your vehicle. One, you can't run away if you change your mind; two, explosives will end you with minimal effort; three, if you're out in the open you'll probably just get run over. I recommend leaving your vehicle for one two-part reason. You are in an inadequate vehicle to escape (e.g. buses, slow motorcycles, bicycles, etc.), and you have enough time to get off your vehicle and find cover. Even on a bicylce you still have a better chance of survival by shooting back than you do getting off the bike and running if your attacker is right there. If you find yourself being attacked by someone in a vehicle while you are on foot, I recommend using a shotgun. They have surprising range, and typically, most players are facing straight at you when shooting from cars, making their biggest window available for your bullets. If their body is obstructed by the cars frame, shoot for the gas tank.

Personal Favs

For anyone who doesn't really have a gun they like, or can't decide which weapon to use, or whatever reason you might want to know, here are my favorite weapons and why.

Combat Pistol - My most used gun when travelling around free-roam would have to be the combat pistol. The aim is extremely accurate, the bullets are cheap, headshots are easy, and it takes out npcs like it's nothing. I prefer the combat over the regular pistol because it's better in every possible way, so no real argument there. Over the AP because the AP feels too much like a small rifle. It sprays bullets, yeah, but it doesn't feel as accurate. But in a car, definitely my go-to gun. Over the SNS mainly for it not having a silencer, but also the same reasons everyone else hates it. And over the heavy pistol because even though the heavy has more damage, the recoil slows it down and knocks off its aim too much for my liking. 
Carbine Rifle - My favorite weapon in the game. Deadly accurate at medium range, minimal recoil, and a moderate rate of fire, this weapon is a dream. This is the weapon I use the most in pvp and on missions. I prefer the carbine rifle over the assault rifle because it's more accurate, has higher damage, less recoil, basically just a better gun. Over the Advanced Rifle because even though the advanced has a faster rate of fire, it's less accurate. And over the Special Carbine because even though the special has higher damage, it is also less accurate than the Carbine. Overall, I prefer the carbine because it's the easiest to get headshots at longer ranges, and one bullet to the head beats more/stronger bullets to the body.

I've used every weapon and enjoy all of them, but those two are my absolute favorites. Other weapons do better jobs in certain situations, but 90% of the time I use one of those two.

TL/DR
  • Choose your weapons wisely. Miniguns aren't always "leet".

• Flashlights hurt more than they help. If you want to see in the dark, put it on a weapon you don't use.

• Silencers = WIN in deathmatches. Useless in freeroam (against players).

• Always use cover if you can. Be wary of your blind spots and flanks.

• Pulling the trigger in cover without aiming lets you "blind fire". It's more accurate than you think. Add Assault Shotgun for extra Pwnage.

• Clicking the right stick while aiming lets you zoom. Makes gun more accurate.

• Headshots almost always equal one-hit kills. Never hurts to try.

• Sneaking in deathmatches gives a huge advantage. USE IT!

• While aiming and moving, press the jump button. It lets you roll. Rolling breaks auto-aim and stops npcs from being able to shoot you for a short time. Most invaluable tip I have.

• Even if you have body armor, don't be any more reckless.

• Keep bullets stocked. There's no such thing as too much.

• HAVE FUN. SERIOUSLY.

Hopefully this helps you. If it did, share it with a friend. If not, let me know why. I'll personally work with anyone to help them become a better shooter. I want all players to enjoy this game and gunfights are what I know. Thanks for reading.

• RealUnimportant, Beez, Zenzic and 64 others like this

KingReflex
  • KingReflex

Veteran Fighter Pilot and Wall Glitcher

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Professionally presented. Love it.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

Thank you. Seemed to take forever to write. Didn't realize how much went into something so simple. If there are errors of any kind, please let me know. I'd like to help as many people as possible.

• Magick, DontSn1tch, Day Reaper and 1 other like this

Luvie
  • Luvie

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for tips, alot a useful information in there. I'm gonna try using the combat roll and blind fire tonight. Good to know about 'sneak' advantage in deathmatch. And I agree, very professional writing skills. Good job.

EliteGamer
  • EliteGamer

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

Press aim.

Press fire.
BE A GOD.

m3dic8d
  • m3dic8d

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

Assault shotgun + extended clip + silencer is ridiculous.

• NEG3R3N likes this

robban
  • robban

Thug

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

Thanks for sharing :]

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:02 AM

You can peek your head out of cover to get a reticle for blind firing by holding the left analog in the appropriate direction. I think that deserves to be in the blind fire section.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:07 AM

I was conflicted with including poking your head out to gain a crosshair. On the one hand it does give you a more accurate shot while blind firing which helps save ammo and get a cleaner, quicker kill, but only if your target isn't facing you, and if that's the case, why not just pop out, auto-aim, and be done with it? I've seen quite a few people poke their heads out in deathmatches right in front of me, and when doing so their most weak point sticks out like a sore thumb. Can't remember if you can auto-aim someone when they're peeking out. I'll find out and get back to you. Thanks for pointing this trick out. I really wasn't sure if it had too many uses to be included, but that's mainly because I rarely use it. Didn't want to include something I didn't know too much about. 

Thanks for tips, alot a useful information in there. I'm gonna try using the combat roll and blind fire tonight. Good to know about 'sneak' advantage in deathmatch. And I agree, very professional writing skills. Good job.

Let me know if anything helped or didn't. I don't want to be giving out misinformation, even if it is mostly my opinion. 

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

this is an awesome post... im a pretty good racer but my shooting kinda sucked, until i spent a couple of nights doing pure deathmatches/survival... but these tips are really gonna help me up my game even more to become a better all round player... already put some into practice while being hunted in freeroam and its helped...

Ive sent a PM to GunWrath to see if he will pin this post in this section as i think it would be a great help to new players (oir players like myself that drive more than they shoot) if anyone else like dit maybe drop him a PM to suggest it is pinned

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

I really appreciate it. I made this "guide" for reasons such as yours. I'd hate for GTA online's players to dwindle simply because they didn't know a few lesser known tricks to help defend themselves from "haters". I wasn't expecting my thoughts to welcomed with open arms, but I'm very grateful I can help. In the future I'd like to make a video guide/s to help with understanding or proving my points, but I simply don't have the cash or know how to make it happen yet. So, in the meantime, if anyone wants/needs help understanding or practising any tips in this thread, my PSN is Kiss_The_Keck and my Rockstar Social is Sittingbeef. Thanks again for your support.

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

tbh even after quite a high amount of gameplay (4 days 12 hours roughly) i still didnt know how to combat roll.... it sounds daft that ive played so much and still didnt know that but with there being no specific game guide and my friend is yet to lend me his guidebook (cos hes forgetful as hell, only lives 4 doors away from me yet everytime he forget it he cba going home.... but i love him so its ok) its something ive never been ablet o figure out on my own...

so that being said its helpful even to "veteran" (dare i say that about myself) players who have quite a bit of gametime under their belt...probably doesnt help that about 75% of my time is spent racing, where combat rolls are kinda irrelevant...

hopefully gunwrath will pick it up, review it and pin it... it helps if other people PM him to make the siggestion too,  at least thats what happened with my racing tips thread

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

Hey, I've got a lot to learn about racing, so I know where you're coming from. I do ok, but I can't hold a candle to most of the players I come into while racing. I tell myself it's because I refuse to race dirty and all the sideswiping and PIT maneuvers are the cause, but it's probably because I'm missing a whole bunch of little things. 

A little off topic, but I hate when you click the right stick while driving and the camera snaps behind you so you can shoot whoever is chasing you, but the camera doesn't snap to the front so you can make a turn or dodge traffic. Instead you get a painfully slow camera turn. If there's a way around that, let me know, like, yesterday. 

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hi MysterBeefy

TBH i dont think theres much of a way round that, its annoying but i have a tendency towards hitting boosts rather than rockets in races... try to keep out of range as best i can lol

but if you are a clean racer that doesnt play dirty were trying to build a lsit of them in the "approved racers" thread in my signature... basically a way to get GTAF players to race together, if 2 people vote you as an approved racer you get added to the first post in the thread so everyone knows... its also a good place to find other like minded racers that enjoy a good spin around a circuit... were also pretty open to giving tips and hints about our race styles etc, we odont jsut churn supercars round criminal records, most of us like to mix up the class between races and select different tracks to really work on our skills... also its good to lose races (thats how i learned everything i know) because you get to see the racing lines of more seasoned races, how the approach corners, braking points, slipstreaming etc....

if your on ps3 feel free to add me, be glad to do a race education session with you.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

I'll be glad to next time I'm on. I'll take all the help I can can get. 

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

add me up dude, details are in my signature, happy to run some circuits with anyone really, but if you need some tips ill gladly help out

Thehunteroftruth
  • Thehunteroftruth

Snitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hey thanks for the guide xD . I'm a newbie and i this helped me a lot :)

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

hey Thehunteroftruth,

if you PM GunWrath he might pin this topic as it is one of the most helpful gunslinging guides around

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Lol, thanks. I searched and searched and searched for anything related to R* pvp and couldn't find anything, which I figured was why so many players made simple mistakes. Not because they weren't any good, but because they simply didn't know how to do certain things in certain ways. So I figured, "Why the hell not? I'm literate. I'll give it a shot. The least that could happen is I'm told I'm *insert expletive*." I'm still confused as to why even after all the years of GTA IV and RDD there's still minimal information on how to save your own ass. *sniffs* Smell that? Conspiracy.

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

tbh all i can smell is burnt food from the office kitchen :p but your right, i like the im game prompts but i saw one yesterday that ive never seen before after owning the game from midnight release,,, hardly practical to only have those tiny little prompts... i mean would it be so hard to put an actual in game manual (saving the trees obviously) with some of the obvious stuff.. say for example, combat rolls.... cant wait to try this tomorrow and get into some deathmatches before my race meet

jerrodh7244
  • jerrodh7244

The Big Boss

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

When Street fighting > After killing someone change position/levels, etc. often. Go from one corner to the next, different alley's hide behind different dumpsters. Keep people looking. Not everyone (most) players don't pay enough attention to the map. And obviously the map does not show elevation so if you can use fireescapes, ladders, etc. to get an 'upper' hand it really throws them off. 

m3dic8d
  • m3dic8d

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:32 AM

this is an awesome post... im a pretty good racer but my shooting kinda sucked, until i spent a couple of nights doing pure deathmatches/survival... but these tips are really gonna help me up my game even more to become a better all round player... already put some into practice while being hunted in freeroam and its helped...

Ive sent a PM to GunWrath to see if he will pin this post in this section as i think it would be a great help to new players (oir players like myself that drive more than they shoot) if anyone else like dit maybe drop him a PM to suggest it is pinned

I'm glad you were man enough to admit this. I couldn't before (hence my generic post about shotguns lmao) but now I can admit I suck at deathmatch and fighting in general in this game. I've played 2 survivals and 2 deathmatches, but always got demolished so I only race. But after reading your post I played another DM and got 8-2. Usually I'm lucky to get 1 kill and die constantly haha.

This should be a sticky.

Edub_1234
  • Edub_1234

All bout dem Subarus

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:46 AM

I'm a level 146, 

Heres some tips. 

#1: DON'T USE THE DAMN ASSAULT SHOTGUN. 

#2:AP Pistol + Adv-Rifle are the BEST (Balanced) Guns in the game. 

Goddamn it R* You made this like COD and there Shotguns :l

Lordgodofhell
  • Lordgodofhell

Real life ghost

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:00 AM Edited by Lordgodofhell, 19 November 2013 - 06:00 AM.

I have a 2.4 kd,

Heres some tips.

-Try hard. I mean, try hard to get kills and try hard to avoid them. 

-Play a lot! The more hours you play, the better you get if you try hard. 

I haven't even begun to try my hardest yet but soon I will.

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:29 AM

I'm a level 146, 

Heres some tips. 

#1: DON'T USE THE DAMN ASSAULT SHOTGUN. 

#2:AP Pistol + Adv-Rifle are the BEST (Balanced) Guns in the game. 

Goddamn it R* You made this like COD and there Shotguns :l

I use my carbine rifle about 80% of the time and the combat pistol for about 10%. All other weapons fall into the last 10. I don't encourage anyone to use the assault shotgun all the time, but it, for example, you are behind cover on one side of a dumpster and someone else is hiding behind the other side, in my opinion, the assault shotgun is the best weapon to use to keep from dying. I will never, ever not use a gun that is "OP" or unfair. All too often I'll get into a team deathmatch where one or more of my teammates is afk (is that applicable to console gaming?), and I'm left to fend for myself against two or three bloodthirsty players. I'm not one to quit because the odds are against me, but I'll definitely do what I can to win. Funny thing is a bunch of guys/girls get pissed when they're losing and start lobbing grenades nonstop. That in particular annoys the hell out of me, but just because it's not the way I play doesn't mean I'll tell others never to do it. Adapt and overcome.If any of that was offensive, I didn't mean it to be. Just giving my opinion.

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

I'm glad you were man enough to admit this. I couldn't before (hence my generic post about shotguns lmao) but now I can admit I suck at deathmatch and fighting in general in this game. I've played 2 survivals and 2 deathmatches, but always got demolished so I only race. But after reading your post I played another DM and got 8-2. Usually I'm lucky to get 1 kill and die constantly haha.

This should be a sticky.

I know where my strengths are and you know yourself im a pretty strong racer (dont wana sound like im tooting my own horn, forgive the pun) which is exactly why most of my RP levels and money have come from racing and i have a "race optimised" garage...

But its tips like this that will help me become a more "all-round" player... FPS has never been a big part of my game play (more a GT5, Tony Hawks, SSX, Assassins Creed, Fifa sorta guy) so any game that involves shooting, its the shooting thats my weakness, which is why i dont play COD lol

looking forward to putting some of this into practice soon and hopefully getting my kd to a reasonable level and winning some DM's

HypyHyp
  • HypyHyp

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

This is an awesome post.... If I could add one tip to this.... Don't wear brightly colored clothing.... You're making it that much easier to find you.

m3dic8d
  • m3dic8d

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:22 AM

This should be a sticky.

I know where my strengths are and you know yourself im a pretty strong racer (dont wana sound like im tooting my own horn, forgive the pun) which is exactly why most of my RP levels and money have come from racing and i have a "race optimised" garage...

But its tips like this that will help me become a more "all-round" player... FPS has never been a big part of my game play (more a GT5, Tony Hawks, SSX, Assassins Creed, Fifa sorta guy) so any game that involves shooting, its the shooting thats my weakness, which is why i dont play COD lol

looking forward to putting some of this into practice soon and hopefully getting my kd to a reasonable level and winning some DM's

I want all my stats maxed out  :lol:

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

This is an awesome post.... If I could add one tip to this.... Don't wear brightly colored clothing.... You're making it that much easier to find you.

shame that, my crew colour is bright yellow lol....

but if people think it should be pinned (i.e sticky) then PM Gun Wrath and ask for it to be pinned... ill b honest i agree and have already dropped GW a PM about it...

@M3dic8d - me too, need to work on my stealth tho...

interestingly on that point one of the in game prompts told em the other day that stats do also degrade over time, so you need to keep it up for them to stay maxxed out..

MysterBeefy
  • MysterBeefy

aaaand I love you.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:01 PM Edited by MysterBeefy, 19 November 2013 - 06:02 PM.

0_0.jpg

I gave this character a desert-y-ish vibe & it seems to help me blend in. You can choose neutral colors and still look pretty decent. Not all the girls have to look like hookers. One of my wife's friends dressed their character like Peggy from Married With Children. Hilarious.

Oh, and that stat degrading thing is if you don't play for a while. Like, a long while.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users