Photo

Real Life vs. Video Games (firearms)

11 replies to this topic
Pillidge
  • Pillidge

smok wed evrydai

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

I noticed a very similar pattern in pretty much every game that was made between 2009 and 2013: they are all completely unrealistic in terms of their firearms' physics, and most of them are rendered boring because of it, in my opinion. 

Shotguns:

Shotgun spreads are typically between 5 and 7 feet in diameter. After the pellets are spread out as far as they can be, they disappear for no reason whatsoever. 

On top of this, the shotgun shells never appear to emit smoke as they are ejected, even though there is usually 25 grains of powder in each shell.

Lastly, there are few modern-day shooting games that take note of a shotgun (especially the above NeoStead 2000) being able to be fired at a rate of more than 45 RPM. It is easier than it looks to cycle the pumping action at a rate of at least 120 RPM. 

Recoil:

Simply put, recoil on all weapons is drastically under-exaggerated. If any of you would like to prove me wrong, I would like to see you post a video of yourself firing a Colt Anaconda at a rate of 550 RPM. 

Suppressors:

In many video games (especially first person shooters), suppressors make a "twing" sound when the weapon is fired. Never in my entire life have I heard anything so comical being emitted from a gun's barrel. Real-life suppressors are not so hilarious, and instead make either a quick (echoed) "twsst", or a "twot". 

Not only that, but suppressors are put on many varieties of weapons that do not have the ability to even handle them, let alone have any effect from them. These include shotguns and revolvers. Although specially-made shotgun suppressors exist, they are extremely complex, and do not hush the shotgun as well as a normal suppressor would do to another type of firearm.

Terminology:

Correct:
-Magazine
-Suppressor
-Cartridge
-Rifle

Incorrect:
-Clip
-Silencer
-Bullet
-Assault Rifle

Why did I list "assault rifle" under the "incorrect list"? When Hitler took note of the great effectiveness of the new MP44 (which he believed to be a machine pistol), he renamed it to the "Sturmgewehr 44", or "Storm Rifle of 1944". This weapon was intended for assault purposes. Therefore, its name has since been incorrectly used on a number of occasions (outside of a military setting, in which a rifle is called a "rifle"). This means that whenever you see something such as "School Shot Up With Assault Rifle" on CNN, you should think to yourself "Interesting, he used an outdated and illegal firearm to kill people". 

Long Story Short:

In real life, a shotgun's spread is half a foot wide at 25 meters, and is accurate up to 90 meters.

In real life, suppressors do not sound like birds. They sound like a hushed "pop".

In real life, recoil is existent.

In real life, anti-materiel rifles are not generally used against infantry, nor are they ever intended to be used while running.

In real life, shooting a gun indoors (without any ear protection) will make your ears ring for a good hour or so.

The one thing I want is a video game that excludes all of these fictional elements, and introduces what happens in the real world. It would keep me entertained for a few months. 

Lastly, one of the main problems with this "made-up realism" is that it poisons the minds of 7-12 year olds who play these games. So, if you ask them what "AR" stands for in "AR-10", they will answer "Assault Rifle". 

/facedesk

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

Who gives a sh*t, they're games.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

So you joined the forums specifically to moan about this? They're games which have no real impact on your life. Reassess your priorities.

• Mr. House likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

What sorta bugs me is the way they make the weapon reload animations; in every game they change it... Interesting reading, nonetheless.

Pillidge
  • Pillidge

smok wed evrydai

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

So you joined the forums specifically to moan about this? They're games which have no real impact on your life. Reassess your priorities.

No.

I joined the forums to post here, and this happened to be the first thread I posted.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

FourTwoZero

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

Games are games, man. their not supposed to be ultra realistic.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

I thought Max Payne 3 felt pretty good in regards to gun physics, but then what the hell do I know; I've never fired a gun in my puff.

Cherokee3
  • Cherokee3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

Shotguns perform well in gta iv, in fact the assault shotgun and that "street sweeper" are quite accurate, able to take down or severely injure enemies several ten meters away. Only Johnny's sawn-off is lacking accuracy but the reason is obvious. But other guns have pinpoint shooting when using a mouse on PC… I don't really understand. Is that a bug? Controllers' manual aiming must be more realistic. I remember when crouching the kickback of a gun reduces dramatically in gta sa.

Anyway the post is good, thanks for sharing the ideas. There are people complaining about the driving in gta v, but few of them actually care about the handling of guns in gta games. The more gamers request, the more developers will put effort in making games better. So it's good to express yourself!  :lol:

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

I shall revoke the throne, atop the stellar tree

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Wouldn't this moan have been better suited to the "gaming chat" section?

Pillidge
  • Pillidge

smok wed evrydai

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

mean*

Not as many people go there.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu
  • Contribution Award [Sports]

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

mean*

No, moan.

Pillidge
  • Pillidge

smok wed evrydai

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

mean*

No, moan.

It is not a moan.

It is a rant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users