Photo

If GTA Online wasnt GTA...

32 replies to this topic
TWA B747
  • TWA B747

Captain Jake

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:42 AM

I hear practically everyone defending their dickhole actions in GTAO by saying "its GTA! You're SUPPOSE to kill everything that moves and cause massive chaos! That's why they give us guns! If you don't like it go play Sims!". Now I and several others around here know that GTAO is NOT like previous GTA games because its NOT about just being a psychopathic asshole. It's about building respect and wealth and providing a social spin with some gunplay thrown in for spice (but not the MAIN focus we have deathmatches for that).

What I'm wondering is -if GTA Online was released WITHOUT the Grand Theft Auto brand - would people's attitudes about how they act in the game be the same? Or does simply putting "Grand Theft Auto" in the title automatically give people license to act like griefer f*ckheads for no reason?

Thoughts?

AscendantWyvern
  • AscendantWyvern

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:48 AM

For one, I'd think a lot less people would buy it. Dat Brand Label.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:58 AM

I like GTA to be a bit more friendly (a tad) but people are going to comeback with "The game is actually focused on being crooks"

Dr Kain
  • Dr Kain

Playa

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:58 AM

I wouldn't have even given it a chance.  I don't play online games, but I was interested because it was GTA.  

TWA B747
  • TWA B747

Captain Jake

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

I like GTA to be a bit more friendly (a tad) but people are going to comeback with "The game is actually focused on being crooks"

Yes the game is crime focused, but its not about being a mindless killing machine or griefing other people till they leave.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yes the game is crime focused, but its not about being a mindless killing machine or griefing other people till they leave.

Just saying what others would say.

Ros
  • Ros

Winterfell Royalty

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

The griefing is terrible. If it weren't GTA I'd like to believe people would be more friendly.

GRINCH ASS BITCH
  • GRINCH ASS BITCH

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

What's your gamertag/PSN, OP?

TWA B747
  • TWA B747

Captain Jake

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

Why?

ZeroDivision
  • ZeroDivision

Veteran Survivor

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

Maybe I'm just incredibly lucky, but I've honestly never had a problem with griefers. Granted I spend very little time in free roam, but I haven't seen that much griefing in all the time I've played.

Haven't run into a spawn camper I couldn't return the favor on, no police riot van sprees, and I haven't seen a single tank mayhem run in my entire time on this game. I wouldn't have even known you could order up a tank if I didn't read it here on the forums.

I actively stay away from other players, too, but generally the sessions I've been in there's usually one or two player hunters and the rest of us tend to just stay out of each other's way.

Again, maybe I'm just that lucky, but I'm having a hard time believing a lot of this stuff that gets said on the forums having not seen it for myself.

GRINCH ASS BITCH
  • GRINCH ASS BITCH

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

Why?

Cuz I's wanna know.

molliwopped
  • molliwopped

Local Hero

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

My thoughts are that people think about this game way to much, and compile weird ass stories/complaints. 

dlow
  • dlow

Just an Old Man

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:19 AM

I guess some players think the only thing to do in game is ride around and kill other players, because of the "We are Crooks" attitude within the game

but they leave out  "honesty among theives"  LOL

I play freeroam 99% of the time, and have hit lobbies where spawn caming outside your apt/garage was going on, .....to me this looks like it would be boring as hell just waiting on someone to walk/drive out of a Apt or Garage

People camping the the Mod shops  would have more action i guess but still it seems like it would be a boring way to play,

I did hit a lobby where several  (4)players had tanks and were greifing everyone,  while it was annoying it wasnt to hard to evade them

I do wish the passive mode covered you in a vehicle also, just to help counter these types of players

The only that really pisses me off is helping a random player  surive a bounty  or a Merc attack ect ......then having that player kill me ........A buddy and me helped a random survive a 9k bounty  he was a low rank (6) i think  so we knew other than pistols he didnt have a lot of options to survive

once the bounty ended he pulled his pistol and popped us both in the head .....so we turned on the asshole mentatality kept bountys on him, mercs and everything else we had

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

Every online game I have ever played or have seen played is just as "bad" as GTA:O, so an alternate title wouldn't change anyone's general behavior, despite potentially attracting different demographics. However, due to brand recognition, it most likely wouldn't be nearly as popular, and with that, not defended/bashed to the same extent it is now.

To anyone here who thinks that the "griefing", "trolling" or "crying" is bad in this game, go play or watch a few videos of WOW, EVE Online, Civ4/5, or even something marketed towards a younger crowd, such as Puzzle Pirates-- you'll find that people generally behave the same way in each of those games.

Online games are prime examples of GIFT in action.

FJack
  • FJack

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Would be nice to see freeroam flourish into something special, not just another permanent spawn deathmatch. It seems some servers have good guys but its hard to tell who the good apples are amongst the majority of glitchers and campers in freeroam.

I like testing low levels by giving them a buzzard and watching what kind of choices they make. If they really make the wrong choice I roll up the newspaper and teach them how its no fun to be on the short end.

Then to reaal screw with them , sometimes i'll give them a second buzzard after the lesson. Generally they salute and fly off to have fun without killing others peoples fun.

Afterall it's just a game.

M6 dRMG
  • M6 dRMG

Umirin?

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

My thoughts are that people think about this game way to much, and compile weird ass stories/complaints. 

This.
People, especially on this forum, spend way too much time analyzing play styles and trying to diagnose everyone that enjoys chaos/other playstyles than themselves with a mental condition.
Just play. Play and have a good time. Embrace the carnage. If you can't do that then why don't you play something else? I guess its ego. You feel like then 'they've won', even though those very people who are killing you don't lose any sleep at night wondering whether those pixels they killed are ok. Honestly, if you dislike other players so much there are options. One of them is invite only.

WildmouseX
  • WildmouseX

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

there are two things against you right now. 1: the game is still "new", and still selling like prep-h at a hemroid suffers convention - so servers are pack with people who play a game for a few months till the next game hits. and 2: the game is still a work in progress and there's not much else to do. add to this a great many who have glitched themselves so much money that they have nothing else to do.

once all the distracted squirrels wonder off, the glitch greifers get kicked out, and ctf/heists/and so on get added the remainder of us will mostly be off doing other things.

----

One way you can avoid free mode greifing is to look at how many job points people on the server has - if most of them have  a lot of job points, then those players are mostly doing jobs, and using free mode for stealing/selling cars and transferring between jobs...... if most of the players have 0 job points, then they are all screwing around in free mode.

ProblemChiild88
  • ProblemChiild88

Trick

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

Cry_Baby_by_buttonnose.jpg

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:46 AM Edited by WBaker, 16 November 2013 - 10:51 AM.

Who having this problem is on PSN? I simply do not see these things on XBL.

That or I'm starting to wonder if this problem is user error.

TWA B747
  • TWA B747

Captain Jake

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Why?
Cuz I's wanna know.
Yes I can see that - but WHY do you want to know?

OT - Guys let me remind you that this thread is a discussion about whether players in GTAO would act differently if it wasn't a GTA game. This isn't a thread to bitch about griefing. There are PLENTY of those.

And to the guy who replied by posting a picture of a crying baby - how exactly did that add to the conversation huh?

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

it's a useless argument
assholes will be assholes no matter what the game's called

D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

The Call of Duty effect is what I call it. It's spread to almost every online game.

TWA B747
  • TWA B747

Captain Jake

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

it's a useless argument

It's not an argument - its a discussion. There is a difference.

jerrodh7244
  • jerrodh7244

The Big Boss

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

It will become more calm with time. As months go on. Good time for COD and BF4 to come out as it will bring a lot of those hot heads to those games. 

FR_Player-One
  • FR_Player-One

Pew Pew Pew - - -

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

I hear practically everyone defending their dickhole actions in GTAO by saying "its GTA! You're SUPPOSE to kill everything that moves and cause massive chaos! That's why they give us guns! If you don't like it go play Sims!". Now I and several others around here know that GTAO is NOT like previous GTA games because its NOT about just being a psychopathic asshole. It's about building respect and wealth and providing a social spin with some gunplay thrown in for spice (but not the MAIN focus we have deathmatches for that).

What I'm wondering is -if GTA Online was released WITHOUT the Grand Theft Auto brand - would people's attitudes about how they act in the game be the same? Or does simply putting "Grand Theft Auto" in the title automatically give people license to act like griefer f*ckheads for no reason?

Thoughts?

For those saying "Dur diz is GTA I can kill u nd be an ass" yo. GTA / Rockstar never said you HAVE to grief people, be an ass, spawnkill them repetitively, destroy their cars etc. Never was it said that this was the point of the game and how you are supposed to play the game online.
As well Rockstar doesn't encourage these attitudes on other players and instead rewards cooperation, promote shared activities and money, teamwork, crews etc.

This is just a sh*tty excuse to a bad behavior.
You're not forced to act like this. You have the choice. You're doing it by yourself.

But I don't believe if it was another game or name, it would be any different, or at least not that much unless the game is really focused on cooperation rather that "free" or pvp actions.

Also, this might explain a few things :

https://www.youtube....h?v=lyOHNjZ-2qM

Gamespot - Reality Check - Why are online gamers jerks ?

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

it's a useless argument

ofcourse it's an argument
"its GTA! You're SUPPOSE to kill everything that moves and cause massive chaos! That's why they give us guns! If you don't like it go play Sims!"

is the argument some people are trying to make
my reaction to this is that it's a BS argument because dicks will be dicks regardless of what the game is called

within this discussion about the conduct of players in gta there are different arguments being made

so yeah there is a difference, you don't seem to get it though
  • a20characterusername likes this

muhmuhhuh
  • muhmuhhuh

Prankster

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

I dont think its got anything to do with being GTA.

There are idiots all over the world and online gaming is no different. Every game no matter how great or crap gets ruined to some extent by players who just cant play the games in the way intended. 

I dont get glitchers at all, and I dont mean GTA money glitchers, im talking about ones who actually cheat for a big advantage. Like in games like Fifa where they will use flaws in the coding to gain an advantage. How is that fun?

Its a society problem. Everybody wants to win at all costs and dont care how they go about it just as long as they can say they won. 

TWA B747
  • TWA B747

Captain Jake

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

it's a useless argument

yeah there is a difference, you don't seem to get it though
Why do you feel the need to come into my topic and start sh*t? Because my view is different than yours?

robban
  • robban

Peon

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:54 PM Edited by robban, 16 November 2013 - 05:56 PM.

I start to wonder if this even is a GTA game, BUYING cars... come on.

But I guess that was their solution once the players getting huge amount of money without glitching, heists will be released eventually...

DillBagnr
  • DillBagnr

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

Thoughts?

It'd be a game called "Online" where you drive around and be nice to people?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users