Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is passive mode completely useless?

53 replies to this topic

Poll: Is passive mode completely useless? (107 member(s) have cast votes)

Is passive mode completely useless to the point that it's not worth ever activating?

1. Yes (67 votes [62.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.62%

2. No (40 votes [37.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote
trip02
  • trip02

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

They should have two different free modes. One where players kill each other and another "friendly free roam" where it is impossible to kill someone else. Even if your car gets blown up or you get run over, you should just get back up and continue along your merry way in this mode. Needless to say, if you want to go on a killing spree, you can enter the pvp free roam mode. Doubt it would ever happen.

It's corny when you finish a mission with someone and you both go back into free mode and the other person decides to blast you.

SecludedMemory
  • SecludedMemory

Lysergified

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:52 PM Edited by SecludedMemory, 15 November 2013 - 09:52 PM.

I think if "Off the radar" lasted much longer passive mode would be obsolete. Or if passive mode took you off the radar as well that would be nice.

It wouldn't, because someone couldn't call up Lester and just reveal you, not to mention it wouldn't help lower level players out at all, who need passive mode more than anyone. 

SHarm
  • SHarm

Reincarnation of Tommy Vercetti

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

They should have two different free modes. One where players kill each other and another "friendly free roam" where it is impossible to kill someone else. Even if your car gets blown up or you get run over, you should just get back up and continue along your merry way in this mode. Needless to say, if you want to go on a killing spree, you can enter the pvp free roam mode. Doubt it would ever happen.

It's corny when you finish a mission with someone and you both go back into free mode and the other person decides to blast you.

Oh f*ck off with your bullsh*t it's GRAND THEFT AUTO you noob

Destroy The Orcs
  • Destroy The Orcs

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

It's useless. I was still getting blown up by tank rounds after I put it on. And it doesn't work in vehicles so its like why bother? What am I gonna run to my destination? Fahk no.

Learn to run away and line of sight people in passive mode don't just steal a car in front of them rofl

bad players crying because they can't be immune to everything 

oo00oo00oo
  • oo00oo00oo

O.O

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

Alright AscendantWyvern, looks like you were correct in the consensus is that passive mode is a 'joke' lol.

I personally disagree with everybody who voted 'Yes' and think those are stupid lol.

For the record, I routinely use passive mode and think it's great.

SecludedMemory
  • SecludedMemory

Lysergified

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

That'll never be possible and would pretty much only favor trolls after a certain point. Red Dead Redemption tried it, and it only worked to a certain extent, but players could still kill each other's steeds and trample each other. It didn't kill the player, but it knocked them down temporarily, and could be repeated pretty much until the griefer gave up, the victim left the server, or they managed to find a safe spot, which could be difficult considering the better horses in that game made pretty good ATVs. Another problem was a weapon called the Explosive Rifle, which couldn't normally kill a player in friendly free roam, there was a certain way you could shoot it that so that you could kill them.

Bottom line is, as soon as R* made a friendly free roam, no matter the amount of patches there would always be a way around it, and you better believe the griefers and trolls would find out how pretty quick, and most of their victims would never learn how to defend themselves.

From what I could tell, friendly free roam in RDR mostly thrived long after the game's popularity had reached its peak.    

SHarm
  • SHarm

Reincarnation of Tommy Vercetti

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

Oh for anyone who camps on top of a high building thinking they are untouchable in passive mode doing the jerk off animation or the middle finger one

Don't worry you'll be sh*tting yourself when I get a helicopter and land on you...killing you :)

Andy_lattermen
  • Andy_lattermen

Shot Caller

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

did the passive mode glitch in the car get patched yet

Raylion
  • Raylion

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:59 PM Edited by Raylion, 15 November 2013 - 11:12 PM.

Learn how to use it, if you don't learn how to use it, I'm just going to keep on tanking you

I do know how to use it but its not effective for those who don't want to engage in player versus player while in free roam.  The solution then becomes to go to crew only and friend only sessions which translates into less people using public free roam.

If you want to kill or be killed by other players then great, I've no issue with that but there isn't an effective public free roam option for those that don't.

• trip02 likes this

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

I've found it VERY useful against tanks man. As long as you're not standing in the road for other vehicles to run you down, you're good.

This. It is objectively very useful.

Anyone having trouble staying alive in passive mode is extremely bad.

Anyone who thinks it's useless has probably also been complaining about getting killed a lot.

The poll shows which people actually play the game, and which people just bitch about everything on the forums without ever playing.

D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

Completely useless? No.

Flawed? Yes.

• Raylion and trip02 like this

BrightonGTA
  • BrightonGTA

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

Just a waste of $100.

Passive mode is free if selected from the start menu & without any cash on you.

noemnrut
  • noemnrut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

So here comes how useless passive mode is, 

in a car--shoot it or blow the car up. 
on the road--simply run over it.
not on the road--call 911 and get a fire truck, use water cannon.
on rooftop--call merryweather and get a heli, land on him
inside a building--motorcycle run over

Passive mode doesn't save your life at all.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:34 AM

Now it's time for a game I like to call "Common Sense".

"In a car": Don't get in a f*cking car when someone that wants to kill you is right next to you.

"On the road": Don't stand still in the middle of the road when someone is racing toward you in a car.

"Not on the road": LOL. Don't stand right next to someone in a tank when you hear the sirens coming 5 minutes ahead of time and then just watch as they get out of the tank and then they turn away from you to shoot the firefighters and then they run away from you get into the firetruck and then they drive over and spray you with the hose. If you ever died like this, you should probably just stop playing.

"On rooftop": Don't just stand out in the open on an open rooftop as you watch the helicopter landing, the pilot getting shot, and the guy getting into it to come towards you. And you somehow forget about the fact that most roofs aren't just flat, they have walls and cover you can take. And, you know, a lot of ways to get down.

"Inside a building": Don't go into a building with another player nearby. It doesn't matter if you're in passive mode or not. And if it's an Ammunation, the person will get shot for coming inside. And good luck killing someone with a motorcycle if they actually jump around instead of standing there and letting you hit them fifteen thousand times (or manage to get your bike lined up just perfectly to hold them down).

And somehow you've never heard of Off The Radar, or the fact passive mode players can shoot you at any time by entering a vehicle, both of which ruin your strategies and will get you killed against anyone half-way decent.

"Passive mode doesn't save your life at all" -- Yes, it does. All the time.

What you meant to say is:

"Passive mode doesn't save your life at all, if there's some frustrated psycho that's willing to spend half an hour to kill you once, and if you don't use any abilities or weapons the whole time, and if you just stand there and let them kill you. The other 99.9% of the time, yes, passive mode does save your life."

sYko DiamondZ
  • sYko DiamondZ

Monkey

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:37 AM

If people want to kill you but can't shoot you... They'll find a way, and you can't whip out a weapon to defend yourself.

I think passive mode should make you completely resistant to any form of damage coming from another player, or else it's not effective.

• abfirstr8 and trip02 like this

trip02
  • trip02

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:46 AM

Oh f*ck off with your bullsh*t it's GRAND THEFT AUTO you noob

What a well thought out contribution to the discussion

• sYko DiamondZ likes this

abfirstr8
  • abfirstr8

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

Stopped using it since I was getting killed more in the mode than outside of it. The majority of times I get  killed in passive mode during free roam is by some guy running me etc. So its just easier to just have the ability to fight back and then have them leave you alone

Agent00Brandon
  • Agent00Brandon

Secret Agent

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

No. It'll always be useful as long as you're standing on higher ground where ppl can't run you over. Although I only really use it when I have to stop playing and do something, more convenient for me than joining a new session just to end up in my apt
  • AzraelX likes this

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:07 AM Edited by AzraelX, 16 November 2013 - 01:09 AM.

No. It'll always be useful as long as you're standing on higher ground where ppl can't run you over. Although I only really use it when I have to stop playing and do something, more convenient for me than joining a new session just to end up in my apt

Yep, I always use passive mode if I have to go AFK. Sometimes I come back and there's a player firing a gun at me or doing the jerk motion or hitting me with explosive shells from their tank, but not once have I been dead.

Yay for the incredibly useful passive mode.

It's saddening there are people who are actually so bad that they won't be satisfied unless "passive mode" becomes "spectator mode".

Areacode8O8
  • Areacode8O8

Phuken Ninja

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:24 AM Edited by Areacode8O8, 16 November 2013 - 01:25 AM.

Helps after missions when randoms spawn right next to you. So no it's not useless. If your afk then you should be jumping out of the game anyway

SecludedMemory
  • SecludedMemory

Lysergified

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:07 AM Edited by SecludedMemory, 16 November 2013 - 02:10 AM.

You're talking about the relatively small percentage of griefers with bottomless bank accounts who will spend 10+ minutes and stop at no costs to kill one person. If anything constantly running and trying to get away just encourages them to continue. There's a big difference between someone shooting and running you over from an Entity and someone who will try every tactic you mentioned, and the large majority of griefers (at least the ones I've encountered) aren't going to try every single thing you mentioned on one person.

Others have already covered it in this thread, but I'll chime in and add that I've dealt with plenty of people like it, and I've successfully used passive mode tons of times in the past against the very same people. 

• AzraelX likes this

EliteGamer
  • EliteGamer

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:41 AM

I've found it VERY useful against tanks man. As long as you're not standing in the road for other vehicles to run you down, you're good.

Anyone who thinks it's useless has probably also been complaining about getting killed a lot.

The poll shows which people actually play the game, and which people just bitch about everything on the forums without ever playing.

Passive mode makes players very difficult to kill, assuming they have even the most basic survival instincts, but it also prevents them from doing anything so IMO switching session is largely superior.

Passive mode will save you from a spawn-killing tank but you won't be able to do anything until the tank gets bored and attacks someone else, switching session will save you from dying AND allow you to continue playing the game.In this game there just doesn't seem like any reason NOT to cut your losses, unless maybe you've got a ton of friends in a server (in which case you probably won't get spawn-killed for long).

Passive mode is effective if survival is your only goal, but it's not enough to keep you alive as you go about your business.

"Not on the road": LOL. Don't stand right next to someone in a tank when you hear the sirens coming 5 minutes ahead of time and then just watch as they get out of the tank and then they turn away from you to shoot the firefighters and then they run away from you get into the firetruck and then they drive over and spray you with the hose. If you ever died like this, you should probably just stop playing.

I have actually killed a guy using that exact method. He switched out of passive as I was doing it, but I managed to spray him down before he shot me out of the fire-engine.

• AzraelX likes this

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

Passive mode makes players very difficult to kill, assuming they have even the most basic survival instincts, but it also prevents them from doing anything so IMO switching session is largely superior.

Passive mode will save you from a spawn-killing tank but you won't be able to do anything until the tank gets bored and attacks someone else, switching session will save you from dying AND allow you to continue playing the game.In this game there just doesn't seem like any reason NOT to cut your losses, unless maybe you've got a ton of friends in a server (in which case you probably won't get spawn-killed for long).

Passive mode is effective if survival is your only goal, but it's not enough to keep you alive as you go about your business.

That's a good point. I guess the only real reason to stay is if you really have nothing better to do than frustrate some guy that desperately wants to kill you :p And maybe order up a tank while you go Off The Radar to add some injury to his insult lol.

But yeah, you're right. While passive mode makes you extremely unkillable, it also makes you extremely unproductive in the face of heavy offense. You can go Off The Radar to generally get about 40 seconds of car distance between you and them, but that only buys you time until you get to wherever it is you wanted to go. At which point, the timer's just ticking as he closes the distance.

If conflict-free productivity is your number one goal, then finding a new session is definitely the better choice.

I have actually killed a guy using that exact method. He switched out of passive as I was doing it, but I managed to spray him down before he shot me out of the fire-engine.

Haha, he must have never heard of such a thing before, it was probably too late for him by the time he realized what you were doing. That's funny as hell though.

Whenever I get the impression the person's plotting something nefarious, I go invisible on the radar the second they stop paying attention to me, and take off in whatever direction will break line-of-sight the fastest.

Flexx
  • Flexx

Greatest Human In World History

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:11 AM Edited by Flexx, 16 November 2013 - 12:05 PM.

There are nerds who use passive mode to grief while invincible, so its definitely not useless.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users