Los Santos Rock Radio and Non Stop Pop FM

75 replies to this topic
Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:46 AM

Oh right, I thought he was referring to the "gobble gobble lyric in Amerie's song. I do remember when some of the songs on NSP were hits over here, I'd never expect them to be in a GTA game several years later. It just confuses me why they'd use songs like that, it is highly unfitting of the Los Santos environment imo. 

Well, it probably could have seemed like a good idea for a station at the time of development (even if they never fit the environment to begin with, they were probably gonna go for something similar to SF-UR).

• G.S.T likes this

OldGamer67
  • OldGamer67

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:09 AM

Non Stop Pop is probably one of my favorite stations to listen to. I never gave much thought about whether or not any songs "fit." I've liked most everything I've heard on it though I've never been a big fan of the Pet Shop Boys. Same with LSRR. I've played so much that I get them stuck in my head. My only complaint with the choice of music in general is that many of the songs sound very repetitive and just get annoying to hear after awhile.

And it all boils down to personal taste. Music is art and art is very subjective.

• G.S.T likes this

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:24 AM

I think the GTA V soundtrack is absolutely brilliant, such great song choices, definitely just as good as Vice City and San Andreas (and I never thought I'd be saying that) but yes I agree the radio station design is a bit muddled. 

I think that the radio stations went through a lot of changes in development and that certain stations were dropped, others were remodelled and that certain songs were kept but moved about through the stations. 

First of all, I think there was definitely an 80s station at some point other than Space. Take a few of the 80s rock hits like the songs from Queen, Robert Plant, Julian Lennon and Simple Minds from LSRR and couple them with Wham! and Pet Shop Boys and you have yourselves Absolute 80s, a real life station in the UK I listen to every day (seriously, I hear each of those songs on there at least once a month on there. It's funny because Big Log and Everything She Wants were being played a lot on there in the weeks leading up to GTA V so it was a really nice shock to hear them in the game). I think this idea was dropped in development. I think that LSRR was originally going to be a classic 70s rock station for songs like Photograph and that when the 80s station was dropped, the songs were split up and mixed into the other stations, I think Non-Stop Pop was probably created as a "dumping ground" for songs that came from other stations originally, with others added in to bulk it out. Great station though apart from the modern bullsh*t. I think there's a chance that Space was also created for this purpose, that a few songs from the original 80s station (probably Party All The Time and Give It To Me Baby) were passed onto here and they quickly added a few more funk songs that weren't originally there. 

I don't have a problem with this though, I think it adds a good deal of variety to the stations. 

I get the feeling that there was probably also a psychedelic rock station at some point, I think that's where Ogden's Nut Gone Flake came from, the rest were dropped and Ogdens was kept because a) it's amazing and b) because it's iconic after the trailer. 

I think that there was also probably a jazz station at some point, I really, really love Worldwide FM, but I think those three jazz songs on there came from somewhere else as they don't quite fit in with the chillwave focus it has. Then again, Gilles Peterson does like his jazz so I could be wrong. 

• G.S.T and Shmiqq like this

generalpudim
  • generalpudim

kill me...

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

i just turn off the radion,i always have my xbox playing my own playlist anyway,just hate the radios in this game

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:38 AM Edited by SmoothGTA, 21 November 2013 - 08:39 AM.

A couple things:

I'm pretty sure 'West End Girls' is a West Hollywood reference, so thats why its in. 'Higher Love' is for Michael and Amanda, but yeah it's odd for a rock station.

More on topic, yeah OP the 'structure' of NonStopPop is off. It's one of those stations that has catchy music I may not exactly notice while distracted with the cops. Your comparison with West Coast Classics is spot on, that's a really good grouping of songs. Just wish we had gotten 'I ain't mad at cha' for one more Tupac track that would have fit right in.

Another great, tight track list is the Lowdown FM. Pam Grier gets my vote for best DJ in V and every song flows right into the next. So yeah, there are some stations that are all over the place, but some are done pretty damn well.

Also, 'Hey Hey, What Can I Do?' would have been a perfect Led Zeppelin song for the game.
  • G.S.T likes this

Shmiqq
  • Shmiqq

you know how it is man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

No word of a lie man. LSRR shouldn't have had that much power pop/soft rock, it should've been on another station.

If anyone's played EFLC/TLAD and heard Liberty Rock exclusive songs, you'll agree that it makes LSRR look crappy. Hopefully new DLCs are gonna add better music, the best songs they put on LSRR were Bob Seger and Def Leppard, and not even Highway To The Dangerzone by Kenny Loggins. :(

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

No word of a lie man. LSRR shouldn't have had that much power pop/soft rock, it should've been on another station.

If anyone's played EFLC/TLAD and heard Liberty Rock exclusive songs, you'll agree that it makes LSRR look crappy. Hopefully new DLCs are gonna add better music, the best songs they put on LSRR were Bob Seger and Def Leppard, and not even Highway To The Dangerzone by Kenny Loggins. :(

I much prefer the softer 80s style rock and power pop to the slightly harder rock from LCRR in the Episodes but yeah, I agree that there should have been some kind of separation between the different styles of rock on there. 

Perhaps all of this is designed to make the radio stations more realistic though. In a game, I much prefer that the stations are designed around a genre because it makes sense to group like songs together from a game design perspective - but in the real world, at least here in the UK, we don't have genre radio, it's all very varied. Maybe they were trying to capture that. Non-Stop Pop sounds just like a local radio station we have in my area, one minute you've got Michael Buble then you've got Duran Duran then you'll have RIhanna then you'll have Maroon 5 then you'll get Abba. In fact it's even more varied than NSP, it's all over the place, just any pop from the last forty years. 

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

I much prefer the softer 80s style rock and power pop to the slightly harder rock from LCRR in the Episodes but yeah, I agree that there should have been some kind of separation between the different styles of rock on there. 

Perhaps all of this is designed to make the radio stations more realistic though. In a game, I much prefer that the stations are designed around a genre because it makes sense to group like songs together from a game design perspective - but in the real world, at least here in the UK, we don't have genre radio, it's all very varied. Maybe they were trying to capture that. Non-Stop Pop sounds just like a local radio station we have in my area, one minute you've got Michael Buble then you've got Duran Duran then you'll have RIhanna then you'll have Maroon 5 then you'll get Abba. In fact it's even more varied than NSP, it's all over the place, just any pop from the last forty years. 
This has been pretty much my train of thought as well. The only two genre stations in my area are county and classic rock, and the classic rock station plays as pretty much as wide a selection of songs, that could be classified as classic rock, as LSRR does.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:56 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 21 November 2013 - 04:00 PM.

The Loggins song "Danger Zone" would have been perfect for flying jets, but they chose his obscure "I'm Free (Heaven Helps the Man)" instead. A real missed opportunity imo. In response to @jarredxmorris, I am familiar with the Absolute 80s station over here. Maybe GTA V should have had something like that, similar to Vice City FM in EFLC. Even that station seemed inconsistent at times though. They had pop rock and new-wave mixed in with funk and R&B tracks. Then again though, it was a big playlist so there was alot of room for variety.

Coral_City
  • Coral_City

The Don

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Pop = top hits ?

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:05 PM Edited by SmoothGTA, 21 November 2013 - 07:09 PM.

I think Danger Zone is too obvious, if that makes sense. In my opinion the soaring vocals, and cheesy nostalgia keyboards of I'm Free(Heaven Helps the Man) fits V and Michaels character. Plus a lot of people have heard Danger Zone to death, and probably not much else. For what it's worth it was the first song playing as I pulled a Lazer out of the big hanger at Fort Zancudo, last night :cool:

Edit: Someone mentioned turning the radio off as soon as they get in a vehicle. Does anyone else do the complete opposite? There's something fun about channel surfing while all hell is breaking loose around me.

PedoneRosso
  • PedoneRosso

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

After MUCH listening of GTA V's stations, I finally came across a song I didn't know which I like:

Unfortunately the station's DJ is even more unplesant than he's supposed to be, and only 2 or 3 more songs are not bad, on that station (don't remember the name, but it has a plectrum as its symbol).

- All the above is just personal opinion: "I gusti son gusti" -

ihavcandygetinthevan
  • ihavcandygetinthevan

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

Los santos rock, raaaadddio

tyranatopherrex
  • tyranatopherrex

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

I guess the "Rock" stations are directed toward 80s' (and 90s'?) nostalgia mainly, but I'm still waiting for a software house going under the name of "Rockstar" to include some good old 70s' classics of the genre:

will I ever be able to listen some Led Zeppelin

(some of theirs could find a place also in the country music station)

or Jimi Hendrix

(this one is still THE Power-Rock ballad by definition, for me)

in the official soundtrack of any GTA?

Led Zeppelin hardly lets anyone use their songs in media… But there have been Hendrix songs in games like guitar hero so that one could be very likely

Special Members
  • Special Members

Mia Khalifa <3 <3 <3

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

I actually think "West End Girls" adds a lot to the atmosphere when I`m driving in night-time. That one and Ice Cube`s "You Know How We Do It" are my favorite songs to listen too at night. But it may also have to do with the fact that "West End Girls" is one of my personal favorite songs ever. But, yeah, when it plays on a station with that sh*tty Britney Spears song, it doesn`t feel right. I especially hate it when I`m listening to West End Girls, and it suddently stops, and then I hear "It`s Britney, bitch", and it pisses me off. I`m not that big of a rock buff, so the soft and hard rock on LSRR didn`t bother me that much. Even though Stevie Nicks "I Can`t Wait" feels more like it belongs amongst the 80`s songs on NSPFM rather than LSRR. If that song is rock, it has to be the softest rock song ever. West Coast Classics is easily my favorite radio station, though. And yeah, Radio Los Santos sucked! Such a disgrace to the one in SA. I`m not that big of a fan of that hipster crap on Radio Mirror Park, or that punk sh*t on Channel X. Even though I thought the soundtrack for GTA V was far better than GTA IV. 

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

Like jarredxmorris said, it is like they were going for a separate '80s pop rock and '70s rock stations but then they decided to throw modern pop into the mix. It was done pretty haphazardly especially when the modern pop songs are all like from 2007. It would've been more interesting if the pop station showed the indie pop, folk pop, etc trends of today along with regular pop that isn't five years old.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users