Los Santos Rock Radio and Non Stop Pop FM

75 replies to this topic
Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

Do I remember wrong or there was The Darkness' "One Way Ticket To Hell...And Back" in a previous chapter of the GTA saga?

If so, I'd like to know which GTA had it, and the radio stion's name, if s.o. can remember...

(thanks in advance)

As far as I know, that's not been in any GTA game, sorry to burst your bubble.

• PedoneRosso likes this

PedoneRosso
  • PedoneRosso

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

Do I remember wrong or there was The Darkness' "One Way Ticket To Hell...And Back" in a previous chapter of the GTA saga?

If so, I'd like to know which GTA had it, and the radio stion's name, if s.o. can remember...

(thanks in advance)

As far as I know, that's not been in any GTA game, sorry to burst your bubble.

I remember wrong.

Fortunately I've always had a bit of an anarchic memory, or I'd really think I'm getting a little too old to play GTA!

(thanks for answering)

PedoneRosso
  • PedoneRosso

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

I guess the "Rock" station is directed toward 80s' (and 90s'?) nostalgia mainly, but I'm still waiting for a software house going under the name of "Rockstar" to include some good old 70s' classics of the genre:

will I ever be able to listen some Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix in the official soundtrack of any GTA?

There might be some licensing issues. I have never heard them in any video game. Fire by Hendrix would have been good though.

Some others by Hendrix you might want to lend a hear to:

- Little Wing

- Castles Made of Sand 

- Voodoo Child http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvmKlZGTTU4

- All Along The Watchtower (by Dylan) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJV81mdj1ic

- Purple Haze http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-4d7dL12C8

- Foxy Lady http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZFf6l1VSWo

- Hey Joe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi3O8Um2VEY

...And sorry for all those other titles I'm not able to remember at the moment.

Luna Lovegood
  • Luna Lovegood

You're just sane as i am

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

Non Stop Pop FM is actually a station I brought up in the article I did, I'll just copy that part here:

...This kind of thing started to affect other radio stations to, let's look at 100.7FM Non Stop Pop, a station which actually changed style multiple times over the development course, once a party pop style station to a pop dance station to what now is more a Contemporary Pop Station playing a mix from the past 30 years, well, hold on, those three 80s songs sure feel out of place on a station playing "Gimme More" and "Only Girl (In The World)". This one is a difficult station and one Rockstar clearly had some internal conflict with, the amount of cut songs and style changes it had before it lands on what feels like, essentially, a thrown together modern day pop station that also plays Euro 2000 dance tracks and the odd few 1980s pop songs, giving the awkward feeling of things not fitting right...

Space 103.2 shoulda have been the pure 80s station while non stop pop the modern day pop 

Tony.
  • Tony.

I don't agree with that in the workplace

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

I agree 100% about Non Stop Pop. It was really weird to hear songs from 80s groups (Hall & Oates, Wham!, and the Pet Shop Boys) alongside 90s European dance music and then modern day chart pop (like Rihanna and Britney Spears). That station was a mess. It's as if they got the rights to these tracks without being sure of what stations they wanted, and then just threw together what they thought was similar enough. That, or they wanted an all 80s station and a dance station at some point but couldn't get the rights to more songs or were running out of time, so they just stitched it all together.

Also, I somewhat agree about how some songs don't fit the vibe. Case in point, "West End Girls" by the Pet Shop Boys.

I've known this song for years, and I always pictured it in a rainy London/general UK city setting. I still do, it doesn't remind me of California one bit.

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:59 PM Edited by whatsstrength, 16 November 2013 - 12:00 AM.

Yeah, Non-Stop-Pop was a very mixed bag, no consistency. My favorite stations are Space and Radio Mirror Park. I go nuts every time Eddie Murphy comes on.

• Lock N' Stock and JustOneMonth like this

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:59 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 16 November 2013 - 12:22 AM.

I agree 100% about Non Stop Pop. It was really weird to hear songs from 80s groups (Hall & Oates, Wham!, and the Pet Shop Boys) alongside 90s European dance music and then modern day chart pop (like Rihanna and Britney Spears). That station was a mess. It's as if they got the rights to these tracks without being sure of what stations they wanted, and then just threw together what they thought was similar enough. That, or they wanted an all 80s station and a dance station at some point but couldn't get the rights to more songs or were running out of time, so they just stitched it all together.

Also, I somewhat agree about how some songs don't fit the vibe. Case in point, "West End Girls" by the Pet Shop Boys.

I've known this song for years, and I always pictured it in a rainy London/general UK city setting. I still do, it doesn't remind me of California one bit.

Yep, as much as like I like that song, it does not fit GTA V's atmosphere. They probably only put it in because of it's title ("West End" = "West Coast" maybe).

Everything you said is spot on though. Non Stop Pop is not right at all. It has no idea of what exact genre it wants to be. Never have a seen a station in a GTA game with too many styles at once.

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Maybe you're right about IV's soundtrack fitting the motif, but for me, there were no songs from that soundtrack that I found memorable or that I associate exclusively with the game.

There are a number of songs that fit so well in V that I'll hear elsewhere in the future and instantly associate with the game. Adding the original score -- another thing IV didn't have -- only helps its cause.

V has a memorable soundtrack, even if it's a little disorganized. 

• Lock N' Stock likes this

TimeLordDoctor
  • TimeLordDoctor

Praise him, Praise him, Praise him, Praise him, Praise him,

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

How dare you insult my Robyn! 

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

How dare you insult my Robyn! 

I never insulted Robyn, I'm just saying the variety of the station in general doesn't seem right. "With Every Heartbeat" is one of the few post-2000 pop songs on the station that I actually like.

Tony.
  • Tony.

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:16 AM

Yep, as much as like I like that song, it does not fit GTA V's atmosphere. They probably only put it in because of it's title ("West End" = "West Coast" maybe).

Everything you said is spot on though. Non Stop Pop is not right at all. It has no idea of what exact genre it wants to be. Never have a seen a station in a GTA game with too many styles at once.

I thought of the exact same thing as to why that song is in. Of course, "West End" still reminds me of the West End in London, not the West Coast. Great song, but a poor choice for this game.

There's definitely very little consistency with Non Stop Pop. At least LSRR is all rock, even with the soft and hard rock mix, I didn't mind that much. I also felt that "Garbage" by Tyler, The Creator was out of place on FlyLo FM. The rest of the station seemed like was experimental electronic music, and then suddenly a rap song appears (unless there were other songs on that station that had lyrics, but I can't remember any). And like Ash mentioned in his article, Worldwide FM suffers from this issue as well, with two random jazz songs from the 70s being placed in with chillwave.

I don't know what happened with V, but it seems like the songs weren't chosen very carefully. I had sent a text to WGN Radio asking Lazlow about who picks the songs, and he said either Dan or Sam Houser chooses the songs, so if someone isn't crazy about the song choices or soundtrack in general, it all falls on them I guess.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:22 AM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 16 November 2013 - 12:30 AM.

I thought of the exact same thing as to why that song is in. Of course, "West End" still reminds me of the West End in London, not the West Coast. Great song, but a poor choice for this game.

There's definitely very little consistency with Non Stop Pop. At least LSRR is all rock, even with the soft and hard rock mix, I didn't mind that much. I also felt that "Garbage" by Tyler, The Creator was out of place on FlyLo FM. The rest of the station seemed like was experimental electronic music, and then suddenly a rap song appears (unless there were other songs on that station that had lyrics, but I can't remember any). And like Ash mentioned in his article, Worldwide FM suffers from this issue as well, with two random jazz songs from the 70s being placed in with chillwave.

I don't know what happened with V, but it seems like the songs weren't chosen very carefully. I had sent a text to WGN Radio asking Lazlow about who picks the songs, and he said either Dan or Sam Houser chooses the songs, so if someone isn't crazy about the song choices or soundtrack in general, it all falls on them I guess.

As far as Pet Shop Boys songs go, they probably should have gone with "Heart" instead, it would have fit somewhat more.

From what I know, Ivan Pavlovich is the soundtrack supervisor on most GTA games in recent times. Clearly the blame could be put on him, with not enough effort being put into capturing the LA vibe or giving the stations a good amount of consistency. It's strange considering he's worked on better soundtracks like San Andreas and Vice City Stories, so I don't know what happened here.

Tony.
  • Tony.

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

From what I know, Ivan Pavlovich is the soundtrack supervisor on most GTA games in recent times. Clearly the blame could be put on him, with not effort being put into capturing the LA vibe or giving the stations a good amount of consistency. It's strange considering he's worked on better soundtracks like San Andreas and Vice City Stories, so I don't know what happened here.

That is pretty odd. The only explanation I can think of besides laziness on their end is that the stations we have now are far different than what they initially wanted, and then some issues probably arose, forcing them to change things around and leaving them with some inconsistencies and without a lot of time to fix things.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:34 AM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 16 November 2013 - 12:34 AM.

From what I know, Ivan Pavlovich is the soundtrack supervisor on most GTA games in recent times. Clearly the blame could be put on him, with not effort being put into capturing the LA vibe or giving the stations a good amount of consistency. It's strange considering he's worked on better soundtracks like San Andreas and Vice City Stories, so I don't know what happened here.

That is pretty odd. The only explanation I can think of besides laziness on their end is that the stations we have now are far different than what they initially wanted, and then some issues probably arose, forcing them to change things around and leaving them with some inconsistencies and without a lot of time to fix things.

They obviously were enthusiastic about it though, claiming it to be their largest soundtrack to date. With the huge budget they had for song licensing, I think they'd at least do better. Even Episodes from Liberty City had a good soundtrack (better than IV imo) so I thought they'd be on a right track somewhere when it came to V's.

Tony.
  • Tony.

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:57 AM

They obviously were enthusiastic about it though, claiming it to be their largest soundtrack to date. With the huge budget they had for song licensing, I think they'd at least do better. Even Episodes from Liberty City had a good soundtrack (better than IV imo) so I thought they'd be on a right track somewhere when it came to V's.

Vice City FM and the additions made to Liberty Rock Radio practically made the EFLC soundtrack for me. I was hoping we'd see something similar for V, but I guess not. They were probably more enthusiastic about the OST, which I actually did like for the most part.

And come to think of it, now that you mentioned EFLC, they managed to create a problem with one of the stations there, too. Why did Vladivostok FM go from being a mix of Eastern European (and mostly Russian) pop, rock, and rap hosted by a Ukranian girl to European dance and modern disco hosted by a English guy? I understand the whole nightclub vibe they needed for BOGT, and the station itself wasn't bad, but couldn't they have just done a whole new station instead of staying with Vladivostok? Even the radio bumpers for it still say "Direct from Hove Beach!" and then the DJ mentions that they're at Bahama Mamas.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:01 AM

And come to think of it, now that you mentioned EFLC, they managed to create a problem with one of the stations there, too. Why did Vladivostok FM go from being a mix of Eastern European (and mostly Russian) pop, rock, and rap hosted by a Ukranian girl to European dance and modern disco hosted by a English guy? I understand the whole nightclub vibe they needed for BOGT, and the station itself wasn't bad, but couldn't they have just done a whole new station instead of staying with Vladivostok? Even the radio bumpers for it still say "Direct from Hove Beach!" and then the DJ mentions that they're at Bahama Mamas.

I was thinking of that. Yeah, that was a very bizarre genre transition. I do think it's kinda lampshaded though when DJ Paul says "What the f*ck is Vladivostok FM, I thought this was America!". The original Vladivostok however does have one song that has a very house/dance sound to it, almost like Electro-Choc. Forgot the name of it though.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:26 AM

Vladivostok FM on TBOGT was another last moment change, all internal file names point to it being a new station named EuroDANCE FM but I guess they wanted to save new stations to be eflc only so instead relocated that to where it was in the game, as you say, idents and stuff are exactly the same as gta4 and rushed into the mix at the start.
  • Lock N' Stock and Budweiser Addict like this

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:36 AM

Vladivostok FM on TBOGT was another last moment change, all internal file names point to it being a new station named EuroDANCE FM but I guess they wanted to save new stations to be eflc only so instead relocated that to where it was in the game, as you say, idents and stuff are exactly the same as gta4 and rushed into the mix at the start.

This is quite interesting, never heard this anywhere else on the internet. Yet, I fully trust you above anyone else when it comes to this type of stuff.
By the way, were there actually any other stations 100% removed from the episodes? It just seems to me that LCHC could have possibly fell into this category, considering how different it's playlists are between episodes.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:59 AM

Apart from removed/alt track choices, there are no other "cut" stations outside or eurodance, lchc is listed here as always being lchc.

The only other interesting tidbit was that originally six radio stations were meant to beupdated per dlc. In tlad the sixth station was jazz nation radio, which had a single song added before it was dropped.

Tilemaxx
  • Tilemaxx

POV City Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:15 AM Edited by Tilemaxx, 16 November 2013 - 06:15 AM.

Rock Radio is OK, but kinda soft. Non-stop FM in inconsistent. Music selection is way off. It's like a 90's retro station or something, but there you have Rihanna in it the next moment. I haven't heard "Lady" or "Rhythm of the Night" on an IRL radio for a really long time now, probably 7-8 years or so... Even "I Don't Wanna Fall in Love" got a little airplay back in 1990 (although it's a nice song).

This is not what a 2013 pop-station sounds like. The other stations are pretty good though, but i agree with a previous post, Tyler is garbage imho and he totally ruined FlyLo, which is pretty dope.

• Lock N' Stock and ten-a-penny like this

ObsydianRaven
  • ObsydianRaven

Formerly Sethpenguin

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Concepts]

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:25 AM

While the songs are good, Channel X needed more modern Hardcore Punk. As for the V soundtrack as a whole, I feel as if most of the stations are very mismatched when it comes to their songs.

• Lock N' Stock likes this

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

the worst one is the song that goes GABBA GABBA GABBA HEY GABBA HEY

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

It's got me thinking, could there have possibly been some 80's station in the game at some point during development?
I mean, you've got those three on Non Stop Pop, then there's a large portion on Los Santos Rock Radio which really feel more 80's pop than rock (as good as it is, how the f*ck does Higher Love count as rock???).

At the end of the day though, as inconsistent as it is, I'm satisfied and like all the songs on Los Santos Rock Radio. Probably one of the best stations in the whole series if you ask me.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:37 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 16 November 2013 - 12:40 PM.

It's got me thinking, could there have possibly been some 80's station in the game at some point during development?
I mean, you've got those three on Non Stop Pop, then there's a large portion on Los Santos Rock Radio which really feel more 80's pop than rock (as good as it is, how the f*ck does Higher Love count as rock???).

Yeah, the Steve Winwood song sounds really inconsistent on a "rock" station. I was REALLY hoping for a full 80s station (similar to The Mix in Saints Row 2 and Vice City FM in EFLC) to appear. They even had a few more 80s pop tracks planned for the station like "Star" by Kiki Dee and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears which were cut. They could have used these cut tracks and the ones that made it into the game to put together a retro 80s station but I suppose they thought "f*ck it" and decided to stitch them together with 90s European house and modern-day chart pop.

Non Stop Pop FM could have been two stations when you think about it, one for 80s pop-rock/synthpop and one for 90s and early 00s house music. I think they should have ditched the modern-day pop tracks from the start because I dislike most of it and don't feel it fits a GTA game at all. I thought Rockstar were better than that when it came to choosing songs. So many missed opportunities when it came to the songs on this station, they could have been put to much better use.

Tony.
  • Tony.

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

Yeah, the Steve Winwood song sounds really inconsistent on a "rock" station. I was REALLY hoping for a full 80s station (similar to The Mix in Saints Row 2 and Vice City FM in EFLC) to appear. They even had a few more 80s pop tracks planned for the station like "Star" by Kiki Dee and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears which were cut. They could have used these cut tracks and the ones that made it into the game to put together a retro 80s station but I suppose they thought "f*ck it" and decided to stitch them together with 90s European house and modern-day chart pop.

I was also hoping for a full 80s station, like I mentioned earlier. In fact, back when people were slowly discovering individual songs from the soundtrack, as soon as I saw that Simple Minds, Wham!, Hall & Oates, Pet Shop Boys, and that song "Party All the Time" were all in the game, I was expecting one, it just seemed obvious at the time when we didn't know any radio station names just yet.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:47 AM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 21 November 2013 - 01:06 AM.

Don't you mean "1 Thing" by Amerie? Yeah, that is a very annoying song though I can find it catchy depending on what mood I'm in. It was also a song in Saints Row 2 from what I remember. It's not even "pop", its's more of a hip-hop song, doesn't belong on a station with 80s and 90s eurodance and pop at all. 

I was also hoping for a full 80s station, like I mentioned earlier. In fact, back when people were slowly discovering individual songs from the soundtrack, as soon as I saw that Simple Minds, Wham!, Hall & Oates, Pet Shop Boys, and that song "Party All the Time" were all in the game, I was expecting one, it just seemed obvious at the time when we didn't know any radio station names just yet.

Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. Like you said, Rockstar probably ran out of time and combined the licensed 80s songs they had with European house and chart pop songs (some of which weren't even big hits in the United States) to make up a so-called "pop" station. It would have been better as a primarily 80s station with the house and dance going on a different one. I don't think the modern pop tracks were ever needed in the first place. I hear enough of that sh*te on the radio nearly every day. I mean, when I saw Britney Spears and Rihanna as part of the playlist, I thought it was a joke. I switch the radio ASAP the moment I hear their songs playing. Some of the modern pop tracks are bearable, like "Glamorous", "Pure Shores" and to a lesser extent "Scandalous", but I still think it's highly unfitting for a GTA game.

When you think about it, Non Stop Pop probably would have made more sense being in a London-based GTA game with the UK chart music and British DJ (Cara Delevingne), but it feels very out of place in a GTA game with a California-esque setting.

• UltraGizmo64 likes this

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:03 AM

If Rockstar does any major DLC like EFLC down the line I hope to god they introduce a full 80's station. If not, it's almost a must for the next game. Either way though they HAVE to include Everybody Wants to Rule the World, I think that the song is just so fitting to GTA as a whole.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:07 AM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 21 November 2013 - 01:07 AM.

If Rockstar does any major DLC like EFLC down the line I hope to god they introduce a full 80's station. If not, it's almost a must for the next game. Either way though they HAVE to include Everybody Wants to Rule the World, I think that the song is just so fitting to GTA as a whole.

I agree. It does fit sort of fit Michael's personality in a way. It probably will make it in eventually, not sure.

Tony.
  • Tony.

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Don't you mean "1 Thing" by Amerie? Yeah, that is a very annoying song though I can find it catchy depending on what mood I'm in. It was also a song in Saints Row 2 from what I remember.

He's actually talking about this song from East Los FM. I don't mind the Amerie song, but the moment I heard it in the game, I had an instant flashback to Saints Row 2. And you're right, I don't think any of those European dance songs they had in were hits here. I had only heard of one of them. Some of the songs on Non-Stop Pop (plus maybe a couple from Los Santos Rock Radio, like Baker Street) definitely would have gone in perfectly in a modern day GTA set in London.

If the next game is set in Vice City, then I'd be shocked if there wasn't a full 80s station.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

Don't you mean "1 Thing" by Amerie? Yeah, that is a very annoying song though I can find it catchy depending on what mood I'm in. It was also a song in Saints Row 2 from what I remember.

He's actually talking about this song from East Los FM. I don't mind the Amerie song, but the moment I heard it in the game, I had an instant flashback to Saints Row 2. And you're right, I don't think any of those European dance songs they had in were hits here. I had only heard of one of them. Some of the songs on Non-Stop Pop (plus maybe a couple from Los Santos Rock Radio, like Baker Street) definitely would have gone in perfectly in a modern day GTA set in London.

Oh right, I thought he was referring to the "gobble gobble lyric in Amerie's song. I do remember when some of the songs on NSP were hits over here, I'd never expect them to be in a GTA game several years later. It just confuses me why they'd use songs like that, it is highly unfitting of the Los Santos environment imo. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users