Photo

Los Santos Rock Radio and Non Stop Pop FM

75 replies to this topic
xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:16 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 15 November 2013 - 06:23 PM.

Many people have mixed reactions for GTA V's soundtrack. However, the main problem I have is with the rock and pop stations. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining since there are songs I love. However, I feel that like alot of GTA V's soundtrack, these stations were rushed with not much thought put into them.

Regarding Los Santos Rock Radio, I will say that this is probably my favourite station, but even then I have issues with it. I can't help but feel like too much soft rock killed the vibe. It especially sounds awkward when they mixed these said soft rock tracks like Chicago, Doobie Brothers ("What a Fool Believes") and Simple Minds with harder rock like Def Leppard and Foreigner ("Dirty White Boy"). With the Southern Californian setting, there probably could have been more metal.

Non Stop Pop FM is even worse. The song variety doesn't even make much sense. They have stuff ranging from pop rock like Hall & Oates to synthpop like Pet Shop Boys, Wham and Jane Child to house music like Corona, Stardust and Modjo to modern pop like Britney Spears and Rihanna finally with a hip-hop/R&B Amerie song thrown in for good measure. Aside from the fact that alot of these songs probably don't qualify as "pop" as the station implies, they could have been on other stations as well. There could have easily been a separate station for the house tracks similar to SF-UR or something, but it's been mixed in with songs of sometimes completely different styles and kills the vibe imo. Alot of these songs don't even suit the LA vibe either, alot of it sounds like UK chart music back in the day (e.g All Saints, Mis-Teeq, Robyn). I don't know if Los Angeles has a pop station similar to this, but I wouldn't assume so (apologise if I'm wrong). And to top it all off, you have Cara Delevingne as (for me, personally) an annoying DJ with a rather irritating voice, and claims of some songs to be genres they're not, like "Anthem" by N-Joi being a "pop classic that sounds just like a modern pop record" when it's really a House/Rave song and sounds nothing of the sort. Overall, although I really enjoy alot of songs on this station (minus most of the modern pop tracks), I feel it's a bit of a mess with the genre variety. Most GTA stations have been confined to one genre or style, but I feel Non Stop Pop goes for too much at once and therefore feels very rushed and effortless.

Say what you will about GTA IV's soundtrack, but I at least felt the stations were better-organised and fitted the NYC/LC atmosphere more. Sorry if I've made some ignorant statements here, but these are just my views on V's soundtrack. I probably have opinions on the other stations but those two in particular are ones I wanted to talk about.

I'm not trying to start some arguing here, I just want to hear your thoughts about how the radio stations were set up, even other stations if you please. All opinions are welcome here.

• NinjaWJ, DaRkL3AD3R and PedoneRosso like this

TabooV2
  • TabooV2

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

I have no issues with either of those. The one station I can't stand is the modern Hip Hop station. It's atrocious! I like the West Coast Classics one though.

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:24 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 15 November 2013 - 06:25 PM.

I have no issues with either of those. The one station I can't stand is the modern Hip Hop station. It's atrocious! I like the West Coast Classics one though.

I have no problem with the rap stations considering they're both fitting of the setting, though I never listen to Radio Los Santos. West Coast Classics does have some great stuff though, that is a well put-together station.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

I like the songs for the most part but they should have had a separate soft rock and hard rock station. 

• xXGst0395Xx and OneManCrimeWave like this

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

I like the songs for the most part but they should have had a separate soft rock and hard rock station. 

This, I definitely agree with. Mixing them together just felt out-of-place. What they could have done was separate the station into two sections, with Kenny Loggins hosting the soft rock playlist and another hosting the hard rock playlist.

kvic
  • kvic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

The first thing I do when getting in a car is to switch off the radio.

• ShadowDog94 likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

This, I definitely agree with. Mixing them together just felt out-of-place. What they could have done was separate the station into two sections, with Kenny Loggins hosting the soft rock playlist and another hosting the hard rock playlist.

I am not one of those people who complain about the music because I do like most of it but they really did need a hard rock or heavy metal station. They could have had a metal station hosted by Lemmy of Motorhead and it would have been perfect. 

• Cutter De Blanc, xXGst0395Xx and ShadowDog94 like this

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

The first thing I do when getting in a car is to switch off the radio.

I normally don't resort to that. If there's nothing on that I like though, well there you go.

PedoneRosso
  • PedoneRosso

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:43 PM Edited by PedoneRosso, 15 November 2013 - 10:23 PM.

I guess the "Rock" stations are directed toward 80s' (and 90s'?) nostalgia mainly, but I'm still waiting for a software house going under the name of "Rockstar" to include some good old 70s' classics of the genre:

will I ever be able to listen some Led Zeppelin

(some of theirs could find a place also in the country music station)

or Jimi Hendrix

(this one is still THE Power-Rock ballad by definition, for me)

in the official soundtrack of any GTA?

• xXGst0395Xx likes this

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

I guess the "Rock" station is directed toward 80s' (and 90s'?) nostalgia mainly, but I'm still waiting for a software house going under the name of "Rockstar" to include some good old 70s' classics of the genre:

will I ever be able to listen some Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix in the official soundtrack of any GTA?

There might be some licensing issues. I have never heard them in any video game. Fire by Hendrix would have been good though.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

Isn't LSRR just a classic rock station, playing any type of classic rock? I agree with everything else. :^:

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:46 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 15 November 2013 - 06:47 PM.

I guess the "Rock" station is directed toward 80s' (and 90s'?) nostalgia mainly, but I'm still waiting for a software house going under the name of "Rockstar" to include some good old 70s' classics of the genre:

will I ever be able to listen some Led Zeppelin or Jimi Hendrix in the official soundtrack of any GTA?

Well Los Santos Rock Radio does have a Robert Plant song (lead singer of Led Zeppelin) so that COULD count in a way, but I really thought an actual LZ song would have been good, as well as Hendrix.

Isn't LSRR just a classic rock station, playing any type of classic rock? I agree with everything else.  :^:

True, but I feel there's too much soft rock and not enough hard rock, hence the two styles sometimes being merged which doesn't sound too right. Non Stop Pop's playlist however is just a mess.

PedoneRosso
  • PedoneRosso

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Well Los Santos Rock Radio does have a Robert Plant song (lead singer of Led Zeppelin) so that COULD count in a way, but I really thought an actual LZ song would have been good, as well as Hendrix.

Unfortunately, the only thing linking Led Zeppelin's music with Robert Plant's is the voice of the singer.

• xXGst0395Xx likes this

SoulTrain75
  • SoulTrain75

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

i like about all of lsrr and maybe half of nspfm my fav station would probally be lowdown though i think they did a good job on it and space is cool to. alot of that stuff on the radio that comes on when i get into cars though just sounds like a bunch of noise to me. like someone just got a keyboard and started hitting keys, but i guess theres some people who like that type of stuff though.

PedoneRosso
  • PedoneRosso

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:08 PM Edited by PedoneRosso, 15 November 2013 - 07:09 PM.

sorry, I just posted in the wrong thread!

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

OP, you're spot freaking on. I have always felt that these stations lack consistency to their supposed genre. It's like instead of picking a genre and grabbing a bunch of good songs from it, instead each DJ just got to pick whatever their favorite songs are and put them together in a mish-mash station.

But then again, the soundtrack is bar none the most disappointing thing in this game, and that's something I'm sorta okay with because Independence FM can resolve these issues later on.

• xXGst0395Xx likes this

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

OP, you're spot freaking on. I have always felt that these stations lack consistency to their supposed genre. It's like instead of picking a genre and grabbing a bunch of good songs from it, instead each DJ just got to pick whatever their favorite songs are and put them together in a mish-mash station.

But then again, the soundtrack is bar none the most disappointing thing in this game, and that's something I'm sorta okay with because Independence FM can resolve these issues later on.

Some stations are consistent with their genres like the hip-hop and funk stations, others just feel lazily put together.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Non Stop Pop FM is actually a station I brought up in the article I did, I'll just copy that part here:

...This kind of thing started to affect other radio stations to, let's look at 100.7FM Non Stop Pop, a station which actually changed style multiple times over the development course, once a party pop style station to a pop dance station to what now is more a Contemporary Pop Station playing a mix from the past 30 years, well, hold on, those three 80s songs sure feel out of place on a station playing "Gimme More" and "Only Girl (In The World)". This one is a difficult station and one Rockstar clearly had some internal conflict with, the amount of cut songs and style changes it had before it lands on what feels like, essentially, a thrown together modern day pop station that also plays Euro 2000 dance tracks and the odd few 1980s pop songs, giving the awkward feeling of things not fitting right...
  • xXGst0395Xx likes this

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:00 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 15 November 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Non Stop Pop FM is actually a station I brought up in the article I did, I'll just copy that part here:

...This kind of thing started to affect other radio stations to, let's look at 100.7FM Non Stop Pop, a station which actually changed style multiple times over the development course, once a party pop style station to a pop dance station to what now is more a Contemporary Pop Station playing a mix from the past 30 years, well, hold on, those three 80s songs sure feel out of place on a station playing "Gimme More" and "Only Girl (In The World)". This one is a difficult station and one Rockstar clearly had some internal conflict with, the amount of cut songs and style changes it had before it lands on what feels like, essentially, a thrown together modern day pop station that also plays Euro 2000 dance tracks and the odd few 1980s pop songs, giving the awkward feeling of things not fitting right...

I actually thought of your article while I was posting this. It's spot-on for the most part.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:02 PM Edited by GtaIvFanboy, 15 November 2013 - 08:03 PM.

There the Only Stations i Like the rest were either Meh or Trash IMO But i see your Point. 

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

There the Only Stations i Like the rest were either Meh or Trash IMO But i see your Point. 

Same here, though I also like Soulwax FM and West Coast Classics. I do actually like alot of songs on both stations, I just think their playlists in general are poorly put together.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Terrible soundtrack. Rockstar needs to hire me to pick the songs for GTA 6. I will give them the greatest music known to man  :devil:

The4orTy67
  • The4orTy67

Spieler Hasser

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

Non-Stop Pop really surprised me. Hearing songs I always thought people in sh*tty Europe hear and so on.

Radio stations in general I don't like in V. They messed up big time.

Sam? You hear me? I'm comin' for you man! I come for you and your brother man! I will eat your children I will rip open your chest and eat your heart man if Strauss were here I'd fight him too all praise be Stan Lee for he is the ruler of the 616 and 1610!

Polish_Trucker
  • Polish_Trucker

It's the Hoff, I've been on this beach since Baywatch

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Terrible soundtrack. Rockstar needs to hire me to pick the songs for GTA 6. I will give them the greatest music known to man  :devil:

What songs would you pick then?  :sly:

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:30 PM

Non-Stop Pop really surprised me. Hearing songs I always thought people in sh*tty Europe hear and so on.

Okay, so what makes Europe so sh*tty exactly?

• ShadowDog94 likes this

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:30 PM

What songs would you pick then?  :sly:

Too many favourites. Trust me though it would be way better than the stuff in GTA 5  :pp

Cr!minal
  • Cr!minal

Career Criminal

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:58 PM Edited by Cr!minal, 15 November 2013 - 08:59 PM.

I absolutely agree with OP. While GTA V radio stations were not bad, they felt like lacking something (word disorganized fits well along some stations). Liberty Rock did have few really good rock songs, but too many soft rocks tracks killed it.

I personally think GTA IV rock radio felt much better (matter of taste of course).

• xXGst0395Xx likes this

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

yeah the LSRR felt kinda weird. The selection wasn't that great and it felt like a mashup or various sub genres of rock thrown together as a "classic rock" station. Doobie Brothers mixed in with the same station as the Juian Lennon song?? Cmon!!!

xXGst0395Xx
  • xXGst0395Xx

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

yeah the LSRR felt kinda weird. The selection wasn't that great and it felt like a mashup or various sub genres of rock thrown together as a "classic rock" station. Doobie Brothers mixed in with the same station as the Juian Lennon song?? Cmon!!!

I don't think that's a bad combination. The Steve Winwood and Def Leppard songs are a more bizarre combination.

PedoneRosso
  • PedoneRosso

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:27 PM Edited by PedoneRosso, 15 November 2013 - 10:33 PM.

Do I remember wrong or there was The Darkness' "One Way Ticket To Hell...And Back" in a previous chapter of the GTA saga?

If so, I'd like to know which GTA had it, and the radio station's name, if s.o. can remember...

(thanks in advance)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users