Photo

CASUAL GAMERS vs HARDCORE GAMERS

17 replies to this topic
tikhung01
  • tikhung01

Maybe we're just sleepwalking....

• Members
  • Vietnam

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:00 PM Edited by Mainland Marauder, 16 November 2013 - 05:16 AM.

(DISCUSSION BEGINS ON POST #4 BELOW)

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

I would have enjoyed participating in a conversation about the topic of this thread but all you did was post a youtube video.

You lazy bastard...learn how to talk to people.  Learn how to speak for yourself and convey a feeling or idea.  

So, I'm not going to participate.

• Mockage and WildBrick142 like this

Mockage
  • Mockage

g#

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:46 AM

I would have enjoyed participating in a conversation about the topic of this thread but all you did was post a youtube video.

You lazy bastard...learn how to talk to people.  Learn how to speak for yourself and convey a feeling or idea.  

Well said, the fact that he's unable to properly form an introduction to the topic at hand is absolutely pathetic.

I'm out on this one as well.

• WildBrick142 likes this

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

This is a forum. We discuss things. So, let's discuss things. Youtube has a comment section. (Note that Youtube comments are a sterling example of what forums and comment boards and such turn into without moderation.)

I really don't want to start a separate thread about this. I was going to, but I want to show a new forumer how discussions work on discussion forums.

What's a "hardcore gamer?" You play every new game that comes out? I remember those days fondly. I didn't have the means to buy them all, but I had the means to go to the video store (some of you may recall those) and play whatever new that was coming out. I was playing Star Raiders and Missile Command on an Atari computer when I was in preschool. That was about as "hardcore" as I could get at that age and that time.

What's it mean now? Are you "hardcore" because you were on here a year or two ago clamoring for "MOAR INFO PLZ" about V when it wasn't available yet? Well, I guess it kept this place busy. Before everyone was on the Internet, it was all in EGM/GamePro/Nintendo Power etc. and that's how you got information.for an upcoming game. Maybe a couple tiny screenshots, smaller than the screen on the phone you carry in your pocket now, and whatever few paragraphs of information the developer decided to tell the game magazine. So, I read those magazines and went to Blockbuster to rent the stuff that looked cool. I was "hardcore" as anyone was concerned. Now I'm like, "what do you want, Rockstar to tell the entire story a year before the game comes out?"

I don't know, something happened. I was about 16 or so, and all of a sudden the little bit of disposable money I had was going to outings and such with girlfriends and, while I played games, I pretty much just played the stuff I already had. Then I got living on my own and decided that the impact of a disposable $60 went further with a video game than it would with a girlfriend, which I'd never keep where I was living and with the odd hours I was working. "OMG you never have time for me!" My PS2 never gave me that sh*t, so there. I started playing again, but it wasn't like I could always go out and buy every new thing going out. I never actually started playing GTA until San Andreas, then went back and played the others. There's a LOT of stuff from the 2000s I never got to or only played recently. I finished Fallout 3 not long before V came out. I'm thrift-shop, Gamestop used section hardcore, I guess.

Now let's explore "casual gamer." What is that? Is it someone like me today who will pick up an occasional new game when the budget allows, and play it when there's no work to do? That's me on V. I'm almost done with the storyline, though I've spent too much time switching to Trevor naked and high as a kite in the wilderness and ready to engage in random drug-fueled rampages. Am I "casual" because I'm doing that to kill an hour instead of spending all day online? Probably so. But, hey, I actually was at GameStop at midnight on Sept. 17th. That's kinda hardcore-ish.

Or, is it what a "casual gamer" plays? We're talking about the games your mom plays. "Santa Claus" "brought" me a newly-released Game Boy when I was eight years old, and strangely enough Mom liked to play the hell out of Tetris. But she had no interest in playing Contra or Castlevania or Mega Man or whatever else I had in my room if I was fortunate enough to have a TV to play it in my room. So nowadays, Mom plays Candy Crush Saga or whatever else I'm getting Facebook notifications about. There are a lot of moms out there, so there's a big market for "casual" games and they don't take five years or a billion dollars to make like GTA. I guess the Sims is the GTA of casual gamers. Every little girl who had a dollhouse growing up could now have one on their computer. It's the highest-selling PC game of all time, like it or not.

I've been around this forum long enough to see people talk about what kind of "hardcore" gamers they are grow up, go to college, get married, have kids etc. and they're just happy to have enough time to play a mission or two at a time on V. You're no better than any of us because you're hardcore, but there's nothing wrong with being "hardcore." Like I say, this forum would've been dead in the time between IV and V if not for them. There are plenty of times I'd rather be 13 years old and giving a sh*t about anything I didn't like (like, say, video games) was pretty much optional.

Anyway, that's what these two labels mean to me. Once some others expound upon their ideas on the topic, we'll have a discussion! :)

• gtaxpert, Tyler, F4L? and 2 others like this

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

3 years on GTA Forums!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

This is how I see it:

Hardcore gamers are those people who often miss school or work to play or try new videogames. They always talk about videogames, go to midnight releases and quote videogame characters (I'm getting f*cking sick of hearing people quoting Franklin in my school, btw). They also love every game they have without even noticing that it sucks, mostly because they don't read/care about critics. Most of them play all day long and they pay for most DLCs. Most of them will play next-gen (Or should I call it current-gen...) at release, if it's not already released. Most of them are underage people.

Casual gamers are those who often play videogames, but won't miss class/work for it. They play a game even if another game was released. They buy games early, but only pre-order some. They buy some DLCs, but are tend to keep their money for more important things. Sometimes they will talk about games, but they won't make an entire discussion about one. They read critics, sometimes criticize, but they're mostly  influenced by their own gameplay. Some of them will have next-gen at release, some already have it, but most of them still play current gen. Most people on this forum are in this category.

Under average gamers are those who play videogames, but not too much. They will buy some videogames and will play them longer than most people. There is nobody in this category on this forum as they're not interested in talking about games. They don't buy a lot of games at release.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

This is how I see it:

Hardcore gamers are those people who often miss school or work to play or try new videogames. They always talk about videogames, go to midnight releases and quote videogame characters (I'm getting f*cking sick of hearing people quoting Franklin in my school, btw). They also love every game they have without even noticing that it sucks, mostly because they don't read/care about critics. Most of them play all day long and they pay for most DLCs. Most of them will play next-gen (Or should I call it current-gen...) at release, if it's not already released. Most of them are underage people.

Your view of a hardcore gamer is the complete opposite to mine.

Aintgottime2bleed
  • Aintgottime2bleed

to weird to live to rare to die

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

Casual gamers = just play for fun thats all.

hardcore gamer = competetive play and want to go to the max ( best k/d, highscore, leaderboards ), i think games doesnt matter except a couple games (  fps ) since those games doesnt need skill = not hardcore/competetive also you playstyle depends. You need play by rules like you camp = ip ban + you casual.  I think a hardcore player has to played a certain game for years so he knows exactly how the game works and thats his advantage. Also hardcore players dont want bs cuz that ruins the competetive part and ruins the balance.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

In my opinion normal gamers are the true ones. Only because they enjoy games to the max, and that is the point of games.

tikhung01
  • tikhung01

Maybe we're just sleepwalking....

• Members
  • Vietnam

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

Let the video talks....

Tyler
  • Tyler

we can build you

• Unknown

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

Let the video talks....

Trip is saying he wants your personal opinion. Not the video alone. Most people who want to share a piece of media like a video about a certain topic have more to add than just the contents of the video. You can reflect on what the video made you think about. You could say what you agree and disagree with, since it's improbable that you agree with the video 100%. Hell you could use the video as an introduction to talk about what it means to you to be a specific type of gamer, or talk about types of gaming you think aren't being covered in the hardcore/casual dichotomy. Instead, you chose to post a video and nothing else, which is considered spam but the topic is interesting enough to illicit a response from quite a few people... So let's actually talk about the video's points?

I think the video has some points right but the presentation is off-putting and almost makes the point moot. He's right to show that the definitions for a "hardcore gamer" are as varied as the community of people who plays games are, themselves, but he does so in a way that feels just as condescending as being called a "casual" gamer.

Anyway, I don't really see the line. Or maybe my lines for the definition are just way too far off from the norm to be useful. The only people I can emphatically say are "hardcore" enough to warrant the name are those who get off from their 9-5 job and play Dwarf Fortress or D&D... Or any ASCII-roguelike or tabletop game. Those games which require hours of time to simply understand and move within the world of, let alone actually play, are hardcore to me. I love those games because of the ability of depth they have by being so obscured behind mechanics and lore and rules, because creativity thrives in constraint. But that's all irrelevant.

As for casual gamers... I think pretty much every gamer is a casual gamer. We play games because we enjoy it as a hobby. We like this game or that because it makes us think or it gives us good feelings or whatever. Maybe we just like the way the game plays. The reasons for playing games are as valid as any other, and they can stretch beyond mechanics that involve point-and-click adventuring, mindless M1-flamethrowing, button-mashing, finger swiping or chart drawing. There's no point to the comparison of casual versus hardcore, because at the end of the day we're all passionate about certain games or maybe the medium itself, and trying to divide the community with a line that says "you don't care enough to be called this" is absolutely f*cking stupid when you're favorite medium is being presented on news outlets as a reason for why mass shootings happen. Stop arguing about this and help people who don't play games understand that DOOM is not a tool that creates violent youth. It's just a really fun, gory set of mechanics that was inspired by excessive profanity and nerdy aesthetics. 

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

This is how I see it:

Casual gamers are those who often play videogames, but won't miss class/work for it. They play a game even if another game was released. They buy games early, but only pre-order some. They buy some DLCs, but are tend to keep their money for more important things. Sometimes they will talk about games, but they won't make an entire discussion about one. They read critics, sometimes criticize, but they're mostly  influenced by their own gameplay. Some of them will have next-gen at release, some already have it, but most of them still play current gen. Most people on this forum are in this category.

Under average gamers are those who play videogames, but not too much. They will buy some videogames and will play them longer than most people. There is nobody in this category on this forum as they're not interested in talking about games. They don't buy a lot of games at release.

What I see is that you have perfectly described fanboyism and non-fanboyism, or to put it another way, blind love for the sake of playing games and playing games to enjoy them.

Casual gamers = just play for fun thats all.

hardcore gamer = competetive play and want to go to the max ( best k/d, highscore, leaderboards ), i think games doesnt matter except a couple games (  fps ) since those games doesnt need skill = not hardcore/competetive also you playstyle depends. You need play by rules like you camp = ip ban + you casual.  I think a hardcore player has to played a certain game for years so he knows exactly how the game works and thats his advantage. Also hardcore players dont want bs cuz that ruins the competetive part and ruins the balance.

The problem with trying to make a definition like this is that it's way, way too specific. All you have here are the top competitive players in mostly 18-rated games who play by made-up constructs; as the video says, if someone plays non-violent games, not competitively - or even plays 18 hours a day with violent video games but camps (because only FPSs are hardcore amirite?) or does some other completely fine tactic that causes people who fit your definition of 'harcore gamer' to be fustrated - they're a casual gamer? 

Pretty sure that's just a group of CoD, BF and CS elitists who get annoyed when people don't play in their idealised 'competitive' fashion, so call them casuals as an insult. 

Also known as pricks.

In my opinion normal gamers are the true ones. Only because they enjoy games to the max, and that is the point of games.

How descriptive. Please, tell me what a 'normal' gamer is, and why one should only blindly enjoy games to the max.

Anyhoo, here's my take on all this; hardcore and casual gamers are just something people who play games want to feel special about, so they created this idea that they're true  hardcore gamers, and are better than those 'filthy casuals'. Just a form of elitism.

The problem with actually taking this idea seriously - as demonstrated in the video - is that you can't form a scale (like time played or skill) or a table (if you play x game then you're hardcore), or a mixture of the two, since that creates so many damn categories that you're just resorting to defining yourself, your friends and those youtubers you look up to as hardcore awesome epic brosome gamers and everyone else is just some casual.

It's like mountaineering, people who climb mount everest are just filthy casuals with too much money, it only counts if you climb something like K2. Because they want to feel special.

Or Gear for...well, anything; if your gear is too cheap, filthy casual. Too expensive?  Casual with too much money. What defines too cheap and too expensive? Anything above and below what you, the true gamer/sportsman/mountaineer/artist/craftsman etc. have. Unless you're in a group, in which you're all special and other people are just dicks, right guys?

• Mainland Marauder likes this

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

Where is the video? :blink:

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

Trip is saying he wants your personal opinion.

Exactly.

I very much enjoy the study of sociology, and this discussion(of hardcore/casual) has been around since the beginning of gaming.  It has been and will forever be morphing and changing.  Video gaming is still a very young entertainment device.  It has only recently found its legs IMHO.

I'm a hardcore gamer, but anyone of you could kick my ass in any video game made in the past bunch of years.  Hardcore is about the dedication and devotion if you ask me.

1 GTAIV5.pngtripmills 3,323,970 7d15h19m

That is my ranking stats in GTAO OGA crew.  Ask anyone who has logged any time with me online and they will confirm that I suck at the game.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

GTA5 is a great way to differentiate between casual and hardcore gamers:

Hardcore gamers find GTA5 very easy indeed.

Casual gamers find GTA5 very challenging.

No joke here: I have a friend who is very casual gamer, and it took him simply ages to get past those easy peasy missions.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

No joke here: I have a friend who is very casual gamer, and it took him simply ages to get past those easy peasy missions.

Yet if I ask you to play Monkey Island, you would have no f*cking clue what to do since you're too used to just shooting everything.

So that would make you a casual gamer again and your friend might just be a hardcore gamer then.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

single file line str8 out the do'

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:42 PM Edited by Lazyboy., 20 November 2013 - 04:43 PM.

Casual and Hardcore is just too vague. Is there nothing inbetween?

In my opinion, a casual gamer is somebody that occasionally plays free games on their phones or Facebook, or somebody that would occasionally play a game like "Call of Duty" or GTA.

Then in the middle ground, it would be someone who plays games like COD or GTA more often, but doesn't play competitively. Someone that wouldn't go on GTA to race seriously, but would have catchup turned on, traffic off etc. They'd get bored of it within a few weeks, though.

Hardcore is a tricky one. Myself, I don't play every game at release, but I play games a lot and like to play competitively. I played IV up until GTAV released. I got a few other games along the way and played them as much as I could, but I end up going back to IV and perhaps a few other games like MCLA and GT5. In my opinion, hardcore would be the most vague. Someone like me, who plays GTA a lot, would be "hardcore", just as someone who would take days off school/work, and play games as soon as they release competitively, and would buy all the DLC.

They're both "hardcore", just not as "hardcore" as eachother.

Aintgottime2bleed
  • Aintgottime2bleed

to weird to live to rare to die

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

QOUTE The problem with trying to make a definition like this is that it's way, way too specific. All you have here are the top competitive players in mostly 18-rated games who play by made-up constructs; as the video says, if someone plays non-violent games, not competitively - or even plays 18 hours a day with violent video games but camps (because only FPSs are hardcore amirite?) or does some other completely fine tactic that causes people who fit your definition of 'harcore gamer' to be fustrated - they're a casual gamer? 

Pretty sure that's just a group of CoD, BF and CS elitists who get annoyed when people don't play in their idealised 'competitive' fashion, so call them casuals as an insult. QOUTE 

No my point is you can play like 90% fun 10% competitive or 90% competitive and 10% fun ( ofcourse fun else you wouldnt play but basicly you play for highscore ). If you play for fun then you a casual and dont get the max out of it. I like zombie ( horde/survival ) games but i only play with people i know cuz evrything need be good so all we care bout is points and higher rounds, in order to get most points you need think and dont hit power ups and ammo noobs are very annoying. Fps games have 1 purpose thats testing u speed/reflexes/aim etc. ( if you want to win you need all that, unless you just play for fun ). Now whats skilled about auto aim, healthregain, insta kill nades and knifes also putting alot objects on map sucks. Camping really got nothing to do with fps but yeh k/d aint lie lol. Casual player think "cool claymore " while hardcore players think " free kills " = bullsh*t + unfair.

Misbegotten cad
  • Misbegotten cad

Prankster

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Yet if I ask you to play Monkey Island, you would have no f*cking clue what to do since you're too used to just shooting everything.

So that would make you a casual gamer again and your friend might just be a hardcore gamer then.

Well, I just played through Monkey island 1 and 2 last month, for the umpteenth time, and had a blast of a time. The games are classics, and there is no hardcore gamer that has not played them.

One good mark of a hardcore gamer IS about shooters, though:

Hardcore gamers are weapons experts.

-Hardcore gamers instantly and intuitively know what weps to use in any given situation, against any given enemy.

-no hardcore gamer would try use shotgun or pistol at long range, for example, or waste heavy weps on weedy enemies.

And it does bring tear to our eyes when we have to watch casual gamers fumble with their weapons in the most embarrassing fashion.

-youre engaging a heavily armoured vechile with a shotgun? What are you moron???

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users