Photo

Free roam might be the biggest mistake of Online

91 replies to this topic
prestonchan
  • prestonchan

Homie

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:30 AM

if there is no free roam, that game wont called GTA.....

go play something else pls

blk95ta
  • blk95ta

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

Free roam is good just a few things can be tweaked for a better experience. But yeah its actually a pretty nice thing overall

make passive mode passive in cars. make it so you can't run over people who are in passive mode. i don't even bother going into PM because it doesn't work when i'm trying to drive around and mind my own busniess. sometimes i don't want to play deathmatch, if i wanted to play deathmatch, i'd play the um, deathmatch mode.

i wish they had an option for a free roam lobby where friendly fire was disabled and you could only shoot another player if they had a bounty or shot at you first.

jdkzombie
  • jdkzombie

Professional Zombie

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hell, I'd vote for removal of Deathmatch, and Last Team Standing.  You can get more than enough of that from a free roam room if that's your thing.

I know I sure as hell did not buy this game with any intention of deathmatch, or glorified deathmatch LTS.  And I can rest assured that many, many others feel the same way.

All you need is a little imagination, and a free roam room can take hours of your day from you.

Dont Shoot
  • Dont Shoot

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:18 AM

Free roam is good just a few things can be tweaked for a better experience. But yeah its actually a pretty nice thing overall

make passive mode passive in cars. make it so you can't run over people who are in passive mode. i don't even bother going into PM because it doesn't work when i'm trying to drive around and mind my own busniess. sometimes i don't want to play deathmatch, if i wanted to play deathmatch, i'd play the um, deathmatch mode.

i wish they had an option for a free roam lobby where friendly fire was disabled and you could only shoot another player if they had a bounty or shot at you first.

So if you want to kill someone you just put a bounty on them and then they cant do anything as you walk up to them and shoot them in the face. And the person in passive mode can just run ppl over while being invincible. Also if friendly fire was off why would it matter if someone shot at you? So they cant hurt you but you can suddenly kill them if they shoot at you?

B3astGTS
  • B3astGTS

Why? Because cash cards...

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:02 AM Edited by B3astGTS, 16 November 2013 - 08:24 AM.

Everyone has fun doing different things so nothing wrong if someone likes free roam over the other options in the game. With that said, some people defending free roam in this thread are way, way off base.

Comments in the thread such as "free roam is the core of GTA", or "GTA is free roam more than anything" else are incorrect. GTA 1 MP was city wide DM. GTA 2 was either city wide or small map based DM. The first iteration of free roam was party mode in GTA IV. It was nothing more than an instance of the city to hang out in while you gathered your friends for the other game modes. It wasn't even free roam until Red Dead Redemption, where they added a few gang hideouts to give you more to do in between other game play modes. Rockstar just expanded it out further in GTA Online. It's still just a hub for those that want to make their own fun if they don't feel like doing jobs, missions, or activities.
  • awxb likes this

God-eater
  • God-eater

Ah, so that's how you change that.

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 08:23 AM Edited by God-eater, 16 November 2013 - 08:24 AM.

Free roam is like the coliseum was in Rome.

What would be awesome is if the missions could be started IN free-roam, with everyone else present. You would have an option to choose...

Standard Mission
or
Free-roam Mission

Now that would be bonkers.

That it would - I'd love to see a flight of choppers and planes go overhead (name of the mission escapes me) while me and another crew are wasting dudes at the Merryweather hangar for Los Santos Connection - meanwhile some Rank 5 rips past us having just robbed their first store... 

Yeah, that idea is pretty glorious - of course the utter asshattery that infects almost 100% of players I've run into in FR would mean the reality would be a horrible griefing nightmare (for example, with LS Connection, you do the whole thing only to find that 5 players in tanks are waiting for you at the hangar, or one guy with a grenade destroys the coke).

• saintsrow likes this

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

Everyone has fun doing different things so nothing wrong if someone likes free roam over the other options in the game. With that said, some people defending free roam in this thread are way, way off base.

Comments in the thread such as "free roam is the core of GTA", or "GTA is free roam more than anything" else are incorrect. GTA 1 MP was city wide DM. GTA 2 was either city wide or small map based DM. The first iteration of free roam was party mode in GTA IV. It was nothing more than an instance of the city to hang out in while you gathered your friends for the other game modes. It wasn't even free roam until Red Dead Redemption, where they added a few gang hideouts to give you more to do in between other game play modes. Rockstar just expanded it out further in GTA Online. It's still just a hub for those that want to make their own fun if they don't feel like doing jobs, missions, or activities.

comparing it to gta 1 and 2 is just silly
rockstar didn't even exist back than

SOHC_VTEC
  • SOHC_VTEC

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

With 10 crew members clearing out rooms, I can't stop playing this "free roam". Missions for money for ammunition for free roam lol

Miss Malevolent
  • Miss Malevolent

Bitch³

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

It obviously distracts people from actually playing the game and interacting with other players. I've been changing sessions and hosting deatmatches and races for the past 30 minutes hoping to find some players, but no luck.

And I have absolutely no idea what most of the players see in cruising around the city. I suppose it's fun in the beginning, even though we all explored the map in singleplayer, but I'm talking about sessions that are filled with 60+ ranks. What keeps these players just screwing around? Robbing stores and selling cars gets old really fast, nobody does impromptu races and most of the players are not even killing each other.

I have also tried joining jobs, but appereantly there are no games to be found for deatmatch on the maps I enjoy, and races are usually set to 1 lap.

So really, what's the appeal of free roam in online?

Um, you need better friends.

We often get on there, and do nothing but BS.

Couple of the crew like to kill cops, so we'll get into a good position and start up a spirited round of 4 and 5 stars.

The other day, we all went to the movies....then one of crew got bored, left the movies...and tried to block the entrance to the theater with a bunch of cars he stole. (Didn't work).

After that, we drove around looking at the hookers...couple of the crew would try and pick them up...I'd run over the hookers before they could get in the car.

Another day, darts, arm wrestling, tennis, golf...

Picking up crates...I mean there is more to GTA:O than missions, races, death matches. But to each their own.

• Dillinger83 likes this

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:21 PM Edited by PkUnzipper, 16 November 2013 - 06:41 PM.

Hell, I'd vote for removal of Deathmatch, and Last Team Standing.  You can get more than enough of that from a free roam room if that's your thing.

I know I sure as hell did not buy this game with any intention of deathmatch, or glorified deathmatch LTS.  And I can rest assured that many, many others feel the same way.

All you need is a little imagination, and a free roam room can take hours of your day from you.

I agree to this but with the exact opposite twist: They should get rid of bad sport lobbies and put a single TDM marker on the map. Any player could access this as a PvP alternative in FM to the existing FM lobbies. When ppl enter this marker,  they would be respawned to an identical copy of FM.  In this instance of the game world:

1. the population would only consist of peds, cops and those players who want to do PvP (the way they currently do in FM)

2. Eliminate BS labeling in this TDM marker and allow ppl to blow up sh*t and create mayhem the way they see fit in this instance of the map.  Players would be able to use their tanks, military aircraft etc without penaly on this server. They could participate in vehicle demolishon derbies anywhere they wanted to on the map.  They could play the revenge game until they run out of money to buy ammo, health care etc.etc.

But this TDM marker shouldn't apply to cheaters who dupe/glitch stuff like tow trucks etc. which f*ck up/freeze the servers etc.

3. Make only 2 stores available: aka Ammunation and LSC. But also keep access to the airport and military aircraft as usual. Because let's face it, these are the only 2 stores and map locations which PvP gamers, griefers and glitchers really use to any extent in FM.  :lol:

4. For the other non PvP style players like myself who opt to remain in the regualr FM map, all the existing TDM, mission markers etc. would remain the same.  The only difference is that players who opt for passive mode would truly be 100% invincible. So they wouldn't be vulnerable to being "accidentally" stickied/stalked/bombed/shot by other players who "forgot" to enter the TDM marker. :lol:  Also blocking any garage/apt exit with any vehicle would result in that vehicle automatially blowing up the moment it gets parked by a player. 

IMO  a 100% passive proof mode would eliminate a lot of the camping/griefing in the non TDM session of the map. It would also allow the non PvP players to do PvE activities like shooting/killing peds, police, holding up stores etc.  But not against other players (unless they entered the TDM map marker). So mission/job marker or investigating a random event/red area on the map that triggers gang missions etc would remain unaffected.  This is reasonable, since the majority of the PvP gamers would be in the TDM lobby session.

5. If a player violates the passive mode rule outside of the TDM marker session, then instead of a BS ban to playing with other BS players, they would be banned to a Solo gaming session (i.e. not Invite Only). Being banned to Solo means you can't play with crews etc. Which IMO is a far greater punishment than being stuck with other BS players.  Because most GTA gamers prefer a social online experience.  Violators would be required to play by themselves doing missions etc to restore good player points. Blowing up anything during this time out period would add to your Solo session time.

IMO if R* redefined the game environment like this, some 99% of the greifing would be eliminated in existing FM sessions.  This system would be a lot more fair system for those ppl who are accidentally labeled as BS (for self defense, being kicked from missions etc).  

So basically, all the ppl who want to kill indescriminately would then be able to do so free from BS penalities.  And all the players who simply want to enjoy FM free of being murdered everytime they respawn can do so without harrassement.

B3astGTS
  • B3astGTS

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:02 PM

comparing it to gta 1 and 2 is just silly
rockstar didn't even exist back than

I really hope you are trolling because that's just an idiotic response. GTA 1 and 2 are the same sandbox type games as the other GTAs, just from top down rather than 3D. If you are discussing what GTA is or what the core of GTA is you have to consider them. Not doing so is ridiculous.

LeSuede
  • LeSuede

Donde estan las drogas ?

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:07 PM

Without freeroam, there is no GTAO. You do missions, jobs, races so you may increase your rank and farm money. In return you can spend that money on various unlocks depending on your rank that you can utilize in free roam.

Remove freeroam and you lose the apartments, car customization, weapons customization, character customization (aside from the character creator), RPG stats, etc...

Basically you're left with a bunch of odd tasks all rolled up into a bag with nothing to connect them all together. Get used to it, freeroam is here to stay.

B3astGTS
  • B3astGTS

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

"

Without freeroam, there is no GTAO. You do missions, jobs, races so you may increase your rank and farm money. In return you can spend that money on various unlocks depending on your rank that you can utilize in free roam.

Remove freeroam and you lose the apartments, car customization, weapons customization, character customization (aside from the character creator), RPG stats, etc...

Basically you're left with a bunch of odd tasks all rolled up into a bag with nothing to connect them all together. Get used to it, freeroam is here to stay.

[\I]"

You do realize that its possible to play the game modes for fun and not for grinding right? You also realize that most of the stuff you mention in your second paragraph has little impact on the actual game play (car customization excluded)?

Finally do you realize that 95% of online multiplayer games feature selecting a mode without any sort of pre-mode lobby? It's been a common practice since the early 90s.

Mind you I'm not arguing in favor of cutting free mode or judging how fun it is versus other modes. I'm just pointing out how you are vastly overstating how essential/important free roam is.
  • awxb likes this

LeSuede
  • LeSuede

Donde estan las drogas ?

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:09 AM Edited by LeSuede, 18 November 2013 - 12:12 AM.

"

[\I]"

You do realize that its possible to play the game modes for fun and not for grinding right? You also realize that most of the stuff you mention in your second paragraph has little impact on the actual game play (car customization excluded)?

Finally do you realize that 95% of online multiplayer games feature selecting a mode without any sort of pre-mode lobby? It's been a common practice since the early 90s.

Mind you I'm not arguing in favor of cutting free mode or judging how fun it is versus other modes. I'm just pointing out how you are vastly overstating how essential/important free roam is.

Yes, I "do realise" but didn't you realize that already ? Now that we're all done realizing, let's get back on topic. In fact, I didn't state anywhere the jobs were boring or "not fun". But it would be foolish to ignore that free roam unlocks are there to encourage you partaking in all the side jobs and missions.

Also while it's true lobbies and game modes are a big part of multiplayer games' arsenal, it isn't a staple of online gaming. For each game you give me with a lobby system I can easily give you another without. So your 95% statistic has me slightly amused.

I don't think I'm overstating anything in saying free roam is a crucial aspect of GTAO. Just going back to the original trailer, GTAO pushed hard on the fact you could play with several other players in Los Santos together and get up to all kinds of shenanigans. Without free roam, all GTAO is a large pile of mediocre missions stuck in a lobby. What sells GTA is its atmosphere and environment, if players could not access it online then I'm certain GTAO wouldn't have gotten so much interest from players. This isn't COD where lobby missions and TDM are what the game is about.

People bought GTA because they wanted to roleplay a bunch of gangsters in a big city, cruising and sticking it to the man. Depriving them from a similar experience online would have been a bad idea and surely impacted on the game's success.

B3astGTS
  • B3astGTS

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:06 AM

"Yes, I "do realise" but didn't you realize that already ? Now that we're all done realizing, let's get back on topic. In fact, I didn't state anywhere the jobs were boring or "not fun". But it would be foolish to ignore that free roam unlocks are there to encourage you partaking in all the side jobs and missions.
Also while it's true lobbies and game modes are a big part of multiplayer games' arsenal, it isn't a staple of online gaming. For each game you give me with a lobby system I can easily give you another without. So your 95% statistic has me slightly amused.

I don't think I'm overstating anything in saying free roam is a crucial aspect of GTAO. Just going back to the original trailer, GTAO pushed hard on the fact you could play with several other players in Los Santos together and get up to all kinds of shenanigans. Without free roam, all GTAO is a large pile of mediocre missions stuck in a lobby. What sells GTA is its atmosphere and environment, if players could not access it online then I'm certain GTAO wouldn't have gotten so much interest from players. This isn't COD where lobby missions and TDM are what the game is about.

People bought GTA because they wanted to roleplay a bunch of gangsters in a big city, cruising and sticking it to the man. Depriving them from a similar experience online would have been a bad idea and surely impacted on the game's success.

"

Lets take this one paragraph at a time. First paragraph I wouldn't say encourage, but yea, it's a forced grind. That doesn't mean it has to be that way. They could you know, make weapons non rank dependent, and make prices reasonable. That doesn't make free roam the be all and end all of GTA online.

Second paragraph. Please actually read what I wrote. I said 95% of games don't, I repeat, DON'T have a pre-made lobby to hop into multiplayer.

Third paragraph, nice that you decided that everyone thinks the same way you do and that you know, people don't enjoy the individual modes more than say free roam.

Same thing with the last paragraph, you are making a sweeping generalization based on what you wanted out of GTA online.
  • awxb likes this

rlr149
  • rlr149

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:31 AM Edited by rlr149, 18 November 2013 - 06:37 AM.

free roam is the core of gta.......... as a series, the game is about doing whatever you want(i'm not including exploiting the game code in this). i didn't learn to fly the dodo in gta 3 by incessantly doing the story missions. i didn't deliver all the cars so the storyline could progress, or do the taxi/firefighter/paramedic missions for that reason either. i didn't jump the bridges in gta 1 for any reason other than to see if i could.

the reason i play gta is because it does give me so many options to just play any way i choose, not be forced into a specific type of play or path through the game(storyline not included). and i don't need to kill XX goons in XX seconds to feel like i'm having fun.

multiplayer in earlier gta's was certainly limited by technical constraints, i'm sure at the time they were saying it would be so much better if they could do more with it, but they couldn't.

as for the OP's point about DM, lost interest once i played planetside1, nothing lamer than 16 people trying to kill each other when you've been part of a 400 player fight.

also not interested in 1 lap races, most random jobs i join are so now i just don't bother unless hosting.

vince91
  • vince91

the pube in your orange juice

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

imaginationland.jpg

anyone?

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

It obviously distracts people from actually playing the game and interacting with other players. I've been changing sessions and hosting deatmatches and races for the past 30 minutes hoping to find some players, but no luck.

And I have absolutely no idea what most of the players see in cruising around the city. I suppose it's fun in the beginning, even though we all explored the map in singleplayer, but I'm talking about sessions that are filled with 60+ ranks. What keeps these players just screwing around? Robbing stores and selling cars gets old really fast, nobody does impromptu races and most of the players are not even killing each other.

I have also tried joining jobs, but appereantly there are no games to be found for deatmatch on the maps I enjoy, and races are usually set to 1 lap.

So really, what's the appeal of free roam in online?

If i was you i'd try to find a crew or the guys who you do play missions with add them as friends and play as a team. If i play GTA Online on my own it can get a bit boring so i can see where you're coming from. If you find yourself a group of suitable players it can be awesome, i play with about 8 different dudes so everyone has their own ideas to cause mayhem or generally f*ck around. Yesterday me and my friend took a Buffalo to LSC and made it look like the FBI Buffalo from IV, we dressed up like agents and patrolled the streets of LS performing raids on gang territories, harrassing minorities with nightsticks and taking down any player with a bounty on their heads with extereme force. Eventually some other dudes in the game realised what we were doing and joined in the fun, one of them had a county sherrif truck and we went out to the alamo sea area to take down gang territories to cut down on organised crime.

We also make use of those impromtu races aswell, we did a bmx race from one corner of the map to the other but with the rule that you had to ride towards oncoming traffic and rely on reflexes and the hilarious jump button, it took us f*cking ages but the whipe outs on route were just hilarious. We also played an unusual game where we had about 10 people all jump in a tiny residential pool in vinewood and have a swimming knifefight, last man paddling we called it.

Basically find some fun dudes who play often and be creative.

Mrgrandis_HKG
  • Mrgrandis_HKG

Employee Of The Month

• Members
  • Hong-Kong

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

You should play other games instead.

sincerely.

Pinnkiepie
  • Pinnkiepie

PIE

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

The Foundation and Structure is set.

What they can do now is to constantly build on it.

shunsuke
  • shunsuke

AKA, Masatooo !

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

I get it, but there is only so much you can do. And each of the tasks you mentioned are repetitive (or does someone actually find robbing a store, getting a crate or attacking the truck more than 3 times per day interesting?). Well, I guess I'm the only one that finds screwing around with friends boring after an hour or two, but each to their own ...

What the f*ck are you talking about? Robbing a store ? A crate ? You must be real lonely if that's what you only do in free roam

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

ey b0ss, cen u gibe me de peprment pls?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

The free roam in GTA Online is everything that GTA IV's freeroam was: Fun. GTA IV's freemode was purely a deathmatch without a time/death counter. GTA O's freeroam is literally a hub for EVERYTHING in the online experience.

awxb
  • awxb

Rat

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:22 AM

I get it, but there is only so much you can do. And each of the tasks you mentioned are repetitive (or does someone actually find robbing a store, getting a crate or attacking the truck more than 3 times per day interesting?). Well, I guess I'm the only one that finds screwing around with friends boring after an hour or two, but each to their own ...

What the f*ck are you talking about? Robbing a store ? A crate ? You must be real lonely if that's what you only do in free roam

These were the things suggested to me. Pay attention to the topic or don't post at all.

LeSuede
  • LeSuede

Donde estan las drogas ?

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:33 AM Edited by LeSuede, 19 November 2013 - 02:34 AM.

I love freeroam for the grand scale deathmatches, crazy car chases and just good ol' mayhem. Played tonight only in freeroam and had a blast. In one session it was me versus a crew of 6 or 7 (had to hop in my tank, im not good enough to take on half a room lol) so obviously they got butthurt , then the following session it was me versus 2-3 guys that were pretty gnarly at the game but in the end I pwnd them all. Yes, I know cool story bro. But you had to be there ! I was dominating that one guy 43 - 12 lol.

Long story story, people love deathmatching in free roam because it's huge and there aren't any restrictions to what you or they might do.

GTAPhilly1
  • GTAPhilly1

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

free roam is the heart and soul of gta online. endless hours of fun just goofing around. 

Are you a male? Interesting haircut? Is that a hippie thing? 

RAS_ZeroZ
  • RAS_ZeroZ

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:13 AM

Still.. 32 players would be an improvement in free roam, IMHO.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:22 AM

You'll have to wait for the next gen version for that.

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

Free roam is the heart of GTA. Why participate in deathmatches when free roam is usually one giant deathmatch in itself? In fact, the side mission deathmatches are extremely limited in comparison to a room full of people chasing each other around and killing each other.

I spent an hour riding around the map on the train being chased by other people trying to kill me. It was more fun than ANY side activity or mission I've tried to date. I also chase people around with nothing but a hammer trying to sneak up on them and smash their heads in.

Sometimes I simple get the cargobob from the airport and I kamikaze it into the middle of the biggest group of people I can find.

JUX
  • JUX

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Are you a troll? Or just f*cking retarded? 

Pinnkiepie
  • Pinnkiepie

PIE

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

I think 16 is enough , it's chaotic as it is :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users