Quantcast

» «
Photo

Elegy - 9F - Sultan - Surano (In-Depth review)

39 replies to this topic
D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:21 AM Edited by D_Marco, 21 November 2013 - 11:45 PM.

So, after reading much speculation as to which sports car is the best, I thought I'd give mine a firm testing.

I completed many and boy I mean MANY races solo, using each car in specific and different ways. All races were done with the following settings;

-Traffic ON

-Wanted level OFF

-Catch-up OFF

-Custom Cars ON

Tracks used;

-Through The Grape Vine (Emphasis on cornering up/downhill) - 3 Laps

-Senora Freeway (Point to Point with an emphasis on cornering at HIGH speeds)

-Dockyard (Testing handling as well as braking ability in narrow/little space)

-Taking Off (Speed, pure speed)

*Please note that these are just personal opinions based on MY experiences with each car. I would also like to encourage people to run the same tests so we can compare thoughts and race times. Doing so allows us to get a better understanding and average times*

Annis Elegy RH8;

0_0.jpg

Review;

First thing you notice with this car is a rigid, heavy feel. Taking off doesn't feel like the fastest thing ever because of this but don't be fooled. The acceleration power this car possesses is great considering how heavy it is. On certain tracks, cornering at times did feel sluggish and lethargic. The amount of weight this car throws around can cost you big time whilst cornering uphill or downhill. Even though it has great traction, the brakes just don't seem to work at times making it's weight even more noticeable.

The first couple of gears are short, allowing the car to pull it's weight somewhat effortlessly (on straights) and once you kick into 3rd/4th you get this sense of a consistent speed. What the Elegy does so well is indeed be consistent. Other cars slow down an awful lot when cornering or when taking a bump. Same can't be said for the RH8. If you can turn efficiently in this car then you're bound to find yourself in a podium finish very very often as it's hard to fall back into 2nd and 1st gear.

So how did it perform on specific tracks?

Through The Grape Vine;- I wasn't particularly pleased with my handling of this car up and down the hills. The braking on the Elegy complicates things a little too much at times. However, once you learn to brake soon enough and take the corners from the outside in whilst also feathering the throttle, you'll find yourself enjoying the ride a little more. The hardest bit about this track with the Elegy is going downhill. But man those straights(ish). This is where the car really shines as it's hard to over-steer on the S shaped roads even when holding the throttle down all the way.

Fastest Lap Time Achieved - 2m 20sec

Fastest Race Completion - 7m 18sec

Senora Freeway;- This was a bit of a funny one. I didn't feel as though the Elegy was going quick enough or cornering well enough but it's consistency/ability to maintain speed is what caught my attention here.

Fastest Time - 1m 57sec

Dockyard;- By far the least enjoyable track I raced with the RH8. I really needed the brakes to work better and for the car to be a little lighter. Coming out of the dock area onto the highway was a pain in the ass. Sharp cornering uphill with this thing is just a no no.

Fastest Lap Time - 1min 29sec

Taking Off;- Not much to this track but the 2 turns. On the first turn, you don't have to slow down or hit the brakes, just rev right through it. The 2nd turn is a little more complicated but nothing a slight feathering of the throttle won't help you with.

Fastest Lap Time - 47sec

Fastest Race Completion - 2min 25sec

Overall score; 8/10. The Elegy is a great car with poor braking. The weight can be an issue when airborne but a benefit as it's robust against "ramming".

Obey 9F Cabrio

0_0.jpgReview;

This car is probably the most exciting sports car to drive. It has phenomenal acceleration and you find no problems reaching top speeds with this thing. The fact it's very light and is relatively small, helps a lot when having to make sharp turns in succession. Drifting is almost impossible to stop yourself from doing in the 9F. When it comes to the wider, longer (I know what you dirty dogs are thinking...) tracks, the drifting becomes a huge issue. The constant wheel spins and "Tokyo" style driving really makes the cars best attribute (acceleration) redundant as you lose speed just as fast as you gain it. The Obey 9F has good braking along with responsive steering. It's the perfect car for small tracks with tight cornering.

Through The Grape Vine;- I really wasn't expecting this car to perform SO well on this track. I thought that given it's lightness, it would just fly off at every cliff edge. What surprised me most was how effective the acceleration combined with it's ability to drift really made the roads feel like somewhat of a play ground. I would hate to get rammed on this track driving a 9F though, you're definitely guaranteed a free flight. The flat S roads were tricky to manage at speed because of all the drifting.

Fastest Lap Time - 2min 20sec

Fastest race completion - 7min 17sec

Senora Freeway;- Frustrating to say the least. The 9F does a great job at reaching top speed but having to corner at these speeds is a mammoth of a task. After numerous goes at taking the turns in this track correctly without drifting off, I finally managed to get a decent run in. Don't be afraid to brake hard with the 9F for smooth cornering, the acceleration makes up for speed lost.

Fastest Time - 1min 57sec

Dockyard;- Complete contrast to the Elegy. This track brought out the best of the "Audi R8". The last turn you have to make just before the finish line was the only tricky bit. The car sort takes a mean bounce and can easily end up flying away into an abyss.

Fastest Lap Time - 1min 27sec

Taking Off;- Another really frustrating one with the 9F. Yes, reaching top speeds was easy so was spinning out. All the drifting this car does just doesn't suit this track at all. Even though I managed to clock a pretty good lap time the overall time it took to complete this race was always a mission with all the slipping and sliding.

Fastest Lap Time - 47sec

Fastest Race Completion - 2min 29sec

Benefactor Surano

0_0.jpg

Review;

The Surano isn't a popular sports car, which is a surprise given it's luscious looks and raw power. It doesn't accelerate as fast as a Comet or 9F but it's not far off it. What you notice with the Surano is that it just never stops picking up speed. This is purely down to the fact it has 7 gears. Rumor has it, this 'Jaguar F type' knock off tops out at 210mph!

The handling on this thing is a little hot and cold. You feel as though there's no way you can possibly spin out, it sticks to the road and responds beautifully to steering. Where I find it tends to go wrong is that it has incredible traction. Sounds stupid doesn't it? Unlike the 9F, when the Surano does oversteer and gets sideways, it becomes very difficult to drift. Because of its traction, the car will end up sticking and sometimes almost come to a complete halt. Which is good if you get rammed and don't want to powerslide across the track but can be such a negative if your out in 1st and hit a slight bump in the road.

Through The Grape Vine;- By far the trickiest track for this car. The roads really tease you into going full throttle and once the Surano gets going it never seems to stop accelerating. You have to be extremely cautious going into every turn with this beast. The fact it has fantastic braking helps a lot but knowing when to brake can be tough as you never really want to let go of the gas in the Surano. Every bump you hit on this track puts the car sideways, try to over correct yourself and you will spin out. Just let go of the throttle for a split second while tapping the brakes, then feather the gas till the car 'snaps' back into it's correct line.

Fastest Lap Time - 2min 17sec (Incredible results if you tame the beast correctly)

Fastest Race Completion - 7min 20sec

Senora Freeway;- The urge to floor the Surano is really taken care of on this track. Just make you remember to brake and take your corners from out wide to the inside. The danger with this car here is it's incredibly vulnerable to ramming. It will get sideways if you're not careful and because it doesn't drift so well you'll find yourself in the path of oncoming cars.

Fastest Time - 1min 57sec

Dockyard;- This is one track where you really need your brakes to be sharp and steering to be as responsive as possible. Thankfully, the Surano comes equipped with these features. The only real problem on this circuit is the same as the 9F, the last turn you have to make right before the finish line can make or break your race with this car.

Fastest Lap Time - 1min 26sec

Taking Off;- If you've ever wondered how fast the Surano can really go, this is the perfect race for finding out. You must be careful when cornering, turn too hard and you'll find yourself frustrated trying to correct the cars momentum. Hit the brakes just a tad bit before going into the bend and let go of the throttle until you feel comfortable enough to slam the accelerator.

Fastest Lap Time - 46sec

Fastest Race Completion - 2min 25sec

Overall score 8.5/10. Speedwise, the Surano is surely the fastest of the lot. But the fact you have to be so cautious can negate this. You also spend too much time trying to correct the cars line instead of exploiting its monstrous speed.

Karin Sultan(RS)

0_0.jpg

Review;

First thing's first, let us not fool ourselves into thinking the Sultan has the speed to match any of the premium sports cars. That being said, it's handling a weight distribution is SO good that all those seconds you lose on straights, you shave them off by cornering with this bad boy. The brakes don't work particularly sharp, but it's fitting for the cars weight/speed.

There's no doubt in my mind this is the best 'Rally' car in-game. The 4WD on this thing works wonders offroad and even on-road where other cars may struggle such as; going up/downhill. What really impresses me about this car, is that given it's lack of raw speed, you can still give other cars a good challenge on the right tracks. If you're planning to race the Sultan(RS) then be sure to keep it off tracks with long straights.

Through The Grape Vine;- The perfect track for showing off all the exquisite features of the Sultan. Bump in the road? No problem. The suspension will absorb it like a droplet of water to a sponge. Another car may be accelerating faster beside you but the driver of that vehicle won't be having a smoother ride. The Sultan pulls very well uphill and responds amazingly well to each and every turn. There's a few parts to this track where you may get off-road ever so slightly and in the past with other cars, it's caused me problems. Like I mentioned before, not with this Royal King.

Fastest Lap Time - 2min 22sec

Fastest Race Completion - 7min 17sec (Astonishing)

Senora Freeway;- Exactly what you want to avoid at all costs with this car. I have not much to say on this other than it lacks premium car speed.

Fastest Time - 2min 1sec

Dockyard;- Much like the Elegy here, I struggled with the lack of sharp braking. You can handle with ease around the circuit but once again, the lack of power to pull away really put a dent on your hopes winning on this track with this car. It may withstand knocks and bumps here but I just felt it needed a heck of a lot more acceleration to compliment it's handling.

Fastest Lap Time - 1min 30sec

Taking Off;- *sigh*

Fastest Lap Time - 49sec

Fastest Race Completion - 2min 31sec

Overall score: 7/10. On a track where speed is limited and your main concern is cornering ability, the Sultan is certainly the GOAT. If you're in dire need of speed, then you've brought the wrong car.

• MrVadersfist, XiBravo and gtarelatedusername2 like this

rocky533
  • rocky533

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

Good read, interested in the future cars, like carbo.  Your results seem about the same as mine..

Elgy - under steer but hard to ram.

9f - quick but loose fast turner. 

Interested in 

Carbo

Comet

croquette

feltzer

D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:34 AM Edited by D_Marco, 15 November 2013 - 12:34 AM.

Good read, interested in the future cars, like carbo.  Your results seem about the same as mine..

Elgy - under steer but hard to ram.

9f - quick but loose fast turner. 

Interested in 

Carbo

Comet

croquette

feltzer

I don't own any of these unfortunately. Will hopefully get around to doing that sometime soon. I want to keep this thread alive as there's no other in-depth reviews of sports cars on different tracks.

One thing I forgot to mention in the OP was that all 4 of my cars are fully tuned including 100% Armor

dedlee
  • dedlee

Thug

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:47 AM

definitely need a coquette/feltzer comparison.

Ewok626
  • Ewok626

Prankster

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

I like your elegy.

D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

I like your elegy.

Cheers.

definitely need a coquette/feltzer comparison.

Will look to invest in one of these soon.

gnad
  • gnad

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Nice post OP!

I'd like to see the Feltzer in this list :)

Strike-Eagle_1
  • Strike-Eagle_1

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

I agree for the most part, but you make it sound like the 9f is too hard to handle. I can tell as my go to sports car custom, it does wonders on speed heavy tracks. Route 68 proved to me that my 9f modded against 6 other carbos also modded blew them away at te acceleration. I started in the front as stayed there as the there stared at the 9fs butt. The turning during high speeds tip I can give is to nudge the stick to the side repeatedly in order for the car to gain back it's traction every steering wheel adjustment. Other than that, the turn heavy tracks are a breeze wen you boost pass after every turn.

Trenchfoot321
  • Trenchfoot321

DON'T HATE ME 'CAUSE I'M BEAUTIFUL, N**GA

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:33 AM

Agreed, that Elegy looks sick.  But since the only cars on this list that I have driven (Surano and Sultan) are the ones I'm not too fond of, I'm interested to see your comparison to these first two, which I've not yet tried.

D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:00 AM

Making me think twice about the way I look at my Elegy. I NEVER ever use it, I just don't want to get rid of something I paid so much to upgrade. It's been sitting there for weeks doing f all. After doing these tests (plan on doing A LOT more) I'm starting to see the Elegy as a legendary car of sorts. People will look back in a few years time when playing the next GTA and think "man, I really wish the Elegy from GTA 5 was in this game". Some of the compliments on my RH8 have also contributed to my new found love :inlove:

One more thing guys/girls, I heard that carbon parts make your car lighter.

So on that note, I'll also be testing these cars with the carbon parts. Even if it means adding spoilers (couldn't be a better fitting name) to my Surano and 9F.

Ribsey
  • Ribsey

Just bought a load of manure!

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

That was a good read, agree with 9F. I love how it feels floaty and light but of course that's detrimental when you got speed to go with it, still means it's fun to drive!

PerceusSOZ
  • PerceusSOZ

gtaforumsmods.freeforums.net

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed this read. Very in-depth, and very informative. I look forward to the update for the Surano and Sultan.

S-M-O-K-E
  • S-M-O-K-E

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:58 PM Edited by S-M-O-K-E, 15 November 2013 - 01:05 PM.

I would love to see the Feltzer & Comet reviewed by you.

I really enjoy my Elegy as well, but after i bought my Coquette the Elegy got placed on the back burner as i now had a car that not everyone had. After purchasing my Comet, the Coquette got put back there with the Elegy. Currently ive been playing with the idea of buying the 9F Cabrio but the stats just dont seem to compare well to the Comet.

Good read OP. I will certainly come back to read the rest once its finished.

Vandal783
  • Vandal783

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

I feel like someone should do an "in depth" review of the sports cars no one talks about.... Not to say that this isnt well done..it is. 

I just seems like these are the cars everyone constantly critiques whether I have driven one or not I feel like I already know everything there is to know about them.

How about some comparisons between some of the under used vehicles like the Coquette, Rapid GT, Comet, or even the Banshee. Theres got to be some original GTA fans out there that still love the banshee.

Just sayin.. 

Pinnkiepie
  • Pinnkiepie

PIE

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

That's it, i'm getting a 9F Cabrio! :D

super cool driving skills

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

lol alright mate calm down you're not jeremy clarckson

Barcodee
  • Barcodee

Trick

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I don't think these are accurate results, the Elegy is not as well rounded as the 9F and shouldn't have any times as fast. Sorry, I don't trust your results or racing ability.

Pinnkiepie
  • Pinnkiepie

PIE

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

Oh and thanks for the Review Jeremy :)

D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

I don't think these are accurate results, the Elegy is not as well rounded as the 9F and shouldn't have any times as fast. Sorry, I don't trust your results or racing ability.

I think you'll find that my results indicate the 9F is faster than Elegy.

Please do complete the same races I'm doing with the same settings, same cars, same number of laps and post me your results. I actually encourage everyone to do so.

• gtarelatedusername2 likes this

anada
  • anada

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

Good stuff, I'm quite interested in an in depth review of the Surano, Coquette and Feltzer as I am looking to trade in my Rapid GT for one of the three. Not a fan of the GT at all, too easy to lose control and gets owned when bumped. It can haul though

Torbey
  • Torbey

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

These are great. You should do them for all sports cars.

gtarelatedusername2
  • gtarelatedusername2

Vagabond of the Wastes

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:01 PM Edited by gtarelatedusername2, 15 November 2013 - 03:01 PM.

One more thing guys/girls, I heard that carbon parts make your car lighter.

So on that note, I'll also be testing these cars with the carbon parts. Even if it means adding spoilers (couldn't be a better fitting name) to my Surano and 9F.

Seeing as how armor increases weight, yet doesn't affect speed, I'd be surprised if the carbon parts actually did anything. =/

In any case, I appreciate the work you've put into this topic.

NuklerGhost101838
  • NuklerGhost101838

All men die; Few men ever really LIVE

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

Great review! Very in-depth and detailed, can't wait to see the rest of your reviews.

Vandal783
  • Vandal783

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:05 PM Edited by Vandal783, 15 November 2013 - 03:05 PM.

Good stuff, I'm quite interested in an in depth review of the Surano, Coquette and Feltzer as I am looking to trade in my Rapid GT for one of the three. Not a fan of the GT at all, too easy to lose control and gets owned when bumped. It can haul though

Oh goodness, if you don't like how the GT handles when it gets bumped your gonna hate those cars. In my experiences hitting a GT is like trying to spin out a brick wall. 9 times out of 10 the guy doing the rubbing ends up spinning himself out.

Its one of the best qualities about the Rapid GT

Flūttershy
  • Flūttershy

Now with free shipping!

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

Nice read, thanks.

JackWren
  • JackWren

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:30 PM Edited by JackWren, 15 November 2013 - 05:20 PM.

Nicely done, I appreciate the detailed, empirical testing. I haven't spent much time with the Elegy, but my findings with the 9f cab were similar. Lookin forward to the sultan review. Not sure if it's just a placebo effect, but with armor and bulletproof tires, the 9f doesn't feel quite as loose as it did while turning at stock. Would be nice if the added weight keeps the back end a little tighter.

zskunk88
  • zskunk88

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

I think you'll find that my results indicate the 9F is faster than Elegy.

Please do complete the same races I'm doing with the same settings, same cars, same number of laps and post me your results. I actually encourage everyone to do so.

For me the best overall for racing is Elegy, do time trials and try to get this times :

Downtown underground / 1.04.x
Thrills in the hills / 1.12.x
Dipping in / 2.12.x
Cutting corners / 0.54.x
Over the hump / 1.00.x

Gonna time trials with your tracks and will post result tomorrow too.
Feltzer and Obey are close to elegy times (like 1sec or 2sec).

D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

BUMP.

OP Updated with the Surano

D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Does anyone know how I can change the topic title?

Hypertion
  • Hypertion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:04 PM Edited by Hypertion, 15 November 2013 - 04:06 PM.

One really nice thing about the 9F is that it uses all 4 wheels to transfer power to the road... once you get used to controlling that you can shoot out of corners without sliding at all and get control out of any impact really fast.

its why its my Car of choice in the sports section.. The sultan likley is similar in that reguard.

the Feltzer i have seen to be very stable and able to handle almost any impact. its got decent speed but seems to be like the elegy in braking and turning.

oh and armor adds alot to the weight... both the elegy and the 9F handle very differantly without it.

Indeed my 9FCabiro is so differant without armor that at times it seems faster and more responsive than a armored Entity XF

• D_Marco likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users