Photo

Explanation of the GTA Universes

4 replies to this topic
Deathgrimmer
  • Deathgrimmer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Ok, so I've been looking around the net to find out more about the gta universes. An found that there's the 3d universe and HD. An only brands and radio stations carry over. But my question is if that's all true, why did Willy from Lovefist make an appearance in Gta V when he was in Vice city? Same with Lazlo. Also why did rockstar decide to make two separate universes? I was really looking forward to finding Cjs house or atleast see some character appearance. Thanks

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:11 PM Edited by Tycek, 14 November 2013 - 10:12 PM.

Willy could appear in V, because he hadn't in VC, same with Lazlow. They were nothing more than voices. Here they finally received physical form. 

R* created different universes to leave the 3D era in the past, because they could simply achieve much more with better technology. Fresh, greatly recreated cities were different than cities full of compromises from the 3D era and the one dimensional characters, who fitted cartoon looks of the previous era had to left place for deeper, more humane characters of HD era. 

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

It's no concrete thing, it's a way for Rockstar to shut up all those people who whine for CJ or Tommy to return.

It's also because of the difference in technology from the times, since there isn't another way to say why Los Santos is so drastically different in 3D compared to HD - as tech gets better, the universes are just going to have to change, but having the same character in a wildly different area simply doesn't make sense.

It also means Rockstar doesn't have to force their story into canon and can just start anew, since the former would make for some annoying differences that no-one except people who whine anyway would care about.

If you want, CJ and two other Grove street people are in an Easter egg in V.

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Hustler

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:27 PM Edited by thatstupidbug, 14 November 2013 - 10:31 PM.

Ok, so I've been looking around the net to find out more about the gta universes. An found that there's the 3d universe and HD. An only brands and radio stations carry over. But my question is if that's all true, why did Willy from Lovefist make an appearance in Gta V when he was in Vice city? Same with Lazlo. Also why did rockstar decide to make two separate universes? I was really looking forward to finding Cjs house or atleast see some character appearance. Thanks

I think R* itself isn't sure about the Whole "universe" theory, but I think we can assume something: every graphic leap (2d-3d-hd) create a new "era" or "universe".

Let me use the batman movies as example: I did something similar in another topic, but explain is always funny

So, let's take the Batman movies (by Burton) in 1989-90's, and the modern Batman trilogy (by nolan).

1) every movie is part of the same brand, called "batman" ---> every GTA game is part of the "grand theft auto" brand

2) every movie is NOT in continuity: Batman begins isn't the sequel of the first Batman, but a reboot of the franchise, so the previous story is "erased" ---> GTA IV and V are a reboot of the previous storyline, so the previous story in the new era never really happened

3) so why some things do carry over from one movie/games to another? Well,to put it simple, they are NOT the same things we used to know

This is gotham in 1989 in his gothic beauty

07232008_batman1989.jpg

and this is gotham in the new movies , a modern city

Gotham-City.jpg

Was the city re-build in 20 years? No, the name is the same, maybe the backstory of the city is the same, but the city itself is NOT the same. Names are re-used because a brand must stick to what is part of the franchise, so it's easy to use "San andreas" and "Los santos" again because that's the way we use to call South california in the GTA world, But name aside, the Whole city is not the same, it's a new place with a new story to write. that's why there CAN be a cul-de-sac called Groove steet WITHOUT CJ house, because it's a totally new Groove Street ---> link http://i.imgur.com/7Wnuwuf.jpg

4) But why characthers comes back or talk about their past life (in other games?) If you just want to have a quick answer, they're just easter egg, little hommages to the old generation. An easter egg doesn't actually need a logic behind it, that's why we can have Love fist or donald love (in a newspaper on GTA IV)

BUT, if you REALLY wants to find a logic behind them, we need to use the same rules used for Gotham: same name,maybe same backstory, but different character. We have a Joker in both movies

jacksjokerVSheathsjoker.jpg

It's the same character, right? NO! Because they have a different backstory, different motivation and they ineract in a different world than the other one. The first one died, yet watching him back in the reboot isn't a surprise. The folowing example didn't occur  in the movie, but the "new joker" can also say something like "last thing I remember was falling from a tower", and YET he is not the same joker as the other one, like the lazlow that is in V is not the same that worked at V-rock  Again, same name, maybe even same backstory and mannerism, but different world and setting

I don't think this question is over once and for all, but I hope this post can be usefull. Obviously Tomorrow R* can say the total opposite and they'll be right, but for now I'll stick with this view. 

• Deathgrimmer likes this

Deathgrimmer
  • Deathgrimmer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

[quote name="thatstupidbug" post="1064074253" timestamp="1384468072"][quote name="Deathgrimmer" post="1064074049" timestamp="1384466030"]
[/quote

I think R* itself isn't sure about the Whole "universe" theory, but I think we can assume something: every graphic leap (2d-3d-hd) create a new "era" or "universe".

Let me use the batman movies as example: I did something similar in another topic, but explain is always funny

So, let's take the Batman movies (by Burton) in 1989-90's, and the modern Batman trilogy (by nolan).

1) every movie is part of the same brand, called "batman" ---> every GTA game is part of the "grand theft auto" brand

2) every movie is NOT in continuity: Batman begins isn't the sequel of the first Batman, but a reboot of the franchise, so the previous story is "erased" ---> GTA IV and V are a reboot of the previous storyline, so the previous story in the new era never really happened

3) so why some things do carry over from one movie/games to another? Well,to put it simple, they are NOT the same things we used to know

This is gotham in 1989 in his gothic beauty
07232008_batman1989.jpg

and this is gotham in the new movies , a modern city

Gotham-City.jpg

Was the city re-build in 20 years? No, the name is the same, maybe the backstory of the city is the same, but the city itself is NOT the same. Names are re-used because a brand must stick to what is part of the franchise, so it's easy to use "San andreas" and "Los santos" again because that's the way we use to call South california in the GTA world, But name aside, the Whole city is not the same, it's a new place with a new story to write. that's why there CAN be a cul-de-sac called Groove steet WITHOUT CJ house, because it's a totally new Groove Street ---> link http://i.imgur.com/7Wnuwuf.jpg

4) But why characthers comes back or talk about their past life (in other games?) If you just want to have a quick answer, they're just easter egg, little hommages to the old generation. An easter egg doesn't actually need a logic behind it, that's why we can have Love fist or donald love (in a newspaper on GTA IV)

BUT, if you REALLY wants to find a logic behind them, we need to use the same rules used for Gotham: same name,maybe same backstory, but different character. We have a Joker in both movies

jacksjokerVSheathsjoker.jpg

It's the same character, right? NO! Because they have a different backstory, different motivation and they ineract in a different world than the other one. The first one died, yet watching him back in the reboot isn't a surprise. The folowing example didn't occur  in the movie, but the "new joker" can also say something like "last thing I remember was falling from a tower", and YET he is not the same joker as the other one, like the lazlow that is in V is not the same that worked at V-rock  Again, same name, maybe even same backstory and mannerism, but different world and setting

I don't think this question is over once and for all, but I hope this post can be usefull. Obviously Tomorrow R* can say the total opposite and they'll be right, but for now I'll stick with this view.
[/quote]

Great explanation, just what I was looking for. Other answers were great too

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users