John F. Kennedy

23 replies to this topic
Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

Can someone explain to me why everyone was so (and still is) infatuated with JFK? Is it only because he was assassinated?

Also, slightly on-topic, do you believe in the conspiracy theories? If so, which and why?

Zotak
  • Zotak

Tom Hardy looks like me, or is it the other way?

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

He was a popular and likeable president, and the mystery surrounding his death durring a cold war with the russians adds to mysticism imo.

As for conspiracy theories, It's more or less like putting the truth in a meat grinder just to collect mince.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:20 PM Edited by lil weasel, 14 November 2013 - 07:26 PM.

He was the First Catholic elected. Prior to that the WASPs were afraid of the Pope running the Government.

He was a smiling Irish Man with a Boston Accent.

Many people liked his happy exuberance.

He never wore a hat, which ruined the industry. It took years before the baseball cap got popular.

He lost his boat, and his pop managed to spin it to make him a hero from it.

He was the first president to have a pretty wife that came across as a dumb bell.

He is the only president that might have been offed by: a lone gunman(?), or his own party(?) or the mafia(?) or Cubans(?) or Russians(?) or the CIA(?) or the Auto Industry in a bid to sell Armoured cars. take your pick. 

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:43 PM Edited by Vlynor, 14 November 2013 - 07:50 PM.

He was a smiling Irish Man with a Boston Accent.

Eh? I don't know if you can call him an Irishman, he's no more Irish than me, since he was 4th generation.

He never wore a hat, which ruined the industry. It took years before the baseball cap got popular.

Those are things I've never heard before, nice little tidbits of information.

Edit: Is the hat thing true?

jfk8.jpg

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

He also helped put an end to segregation in the south, and to destroy the KKK's growing popularity during his presidency.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:17 PM Edited by RoadRunner71, 14 November 2013 - 08:17 PM.

I've heard that he avoided a possible 3rd World War with the management of the Cuban Missile Crisis or something so.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:19 PM Edited by sivispacem, 14 November 2013 - 08:20 PM.

Those are things I've never heard before, nice little tidbits of information.

Edit: Is the hat thing true?

jfk8.jpg

They're as true as most of Lil Weasel's posts, I.E. not at all.

He's famous primarily because of his assassination and contribution to the civil rights movement. He was cast rather in the vein of Lincoln. To be honest he was an average domestic president and his foreign policy was an unmitigated disaster. Far from the common claim that he narrowly avoided WWIII during the Cuban Missile Crisis, he bungled his handling of it and it was only Robert McNamara's intervention that helped defuse it. 

irishsm0ke
  • irishsm0ke

Outlaw

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:45 PM

His major accomplishment imo was the civil rights movement. In the 60's, there was a lot of racism and segregation, with very few laws in place. He pushed through legislation for equality. This was around the time of Martin Luther King. 

He also helped avert nuclear war which many say if it wasn't for him, the US would have been attacked by Russia with nuclear missles. Can you imagine how the US would have ended up if our major cities had been nuked? 

As for sivispacem's comment regarding McNamara, it's true that he did play a role in averting disaster. But that was job as the Secretary of Defense. Kennedy's negotiations with Khruschev at the time boiled down to JFK's decisions in the end and a lot of people give credit to JFK for that disaster being averted. As far as McNamara goes, he's largely to blame for the war in Vietnam ending up the way it did.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

Kennedy voted against Eisenhower’s 1957 Civil Rights

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

As for sivispacem's comment regarding McNamara, it's true that he did play a role in averting disaster. But that was job as the Secretary of Defense. Kennedy's negotiations with Khruschev at the time boiled down to JFK's decisions in the end and a lot of people give credit to JFK for that disaster being averted. As far as McNamara goes, he's largely to blame for the war in Vietnam ending up the way it did.

Kennedy had the escalation on his hands anyway due to botching the Bay of Pigs and Operation Mongoose. His response to the Berlin Crisis was pretty meager and he perpetuated the non-existent "missile gap" issue which in turn led to increased Soviet hostility at a perceived American arms build-up in NATO-aligned parts of Eastern Europe and West Asia. During the Crisis it was Kennedy who called on the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who preferred a military option, but they were effectively overruled by McNamara. Kennedy is on record as having said during the stalemate of October 25th and 26th that the only way missiles would be removed from Cuba was through a direct US invasion.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:19 AM Edited by whatsstrength, 15 November 2013 - 12:20 AM.

Didn't he temporarily revoke the Federal Reserve's privilege to regulate our currency? I know there are several conspiracy theories around why they let the Fed take over again.

usnote1963_22.jpg

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:47 AM

Didn't he temporarily revoke the Federal Reserve's privilege to regulate our currency? I know there are several conspiracy theories around why they let the Fed take over again.

usnote1963_22.jpg

Executive Order 11110. It's the center of the Federal Reserve conspiracy theory. A lot of people thought that he was trying to revoke the power of the Fed and that's why he was killed.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:27 AM

I don't understand: Why do people hate the Fed so much?

Chunkyman
  • Chunkyman

Foot Soldier

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

I don't understand: Why do people hate the Fed so much?

Mostly because of goofy conspiracy theories and/or the fact that it's nominally "private".

There are many legitimate arguments against central banking, however. Link related

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:53 AM

Can't forget to mention he bagged Marilyn Monroe, quite an accomplishment on it's own.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:24 AM Edited by GunWrath, 15 November 2013 - 05:24 AM.

JFK had some gnarly wisdom and some honest and noteworthy quotes as well.

Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

Why in heavens did you mention conspiracy theories?

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:50 AM

JFK's death has been surrounded with conspiracies since it happened. It would be foolish of me to mention anything about JFK without mentioning the possible other causes of his death.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:10 AM

JFK's death has been surrounded with conspiracies since it happened. It would be foolish of me to mention anything about JFK without mentioning the possible other causes of his death.

No, it is foolish to mention theories because in two pages time it's going to be another NWO debate, but okay, if that's what you want.

OysterBarron
  • OysterBarron

You need a Pearl necklace? Hit me up ;)

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:04 AM Edited by oysterbarron, 15 November 2013 - 08:30 AM.

Even being a non American I can see he was a true leader and not just a puppet president! Who led with his heart and not with his dick.

Even seeing the death shot brings me a sense of America's great loss. knowing what he achieved in his time as president in the navy and just his general struggle through childhood is enough to pull anyone's heartstrings when the third shot hits.

He still could have done so much more if he had been given a few more years. I think we would be looking at a majorly different America if he had.

Rip john your an inspiration to us all!
  • Finn 7 five 11 and Frank Brown like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

Even being a non American I can see he was a true leader and not just a puppet president! Who led with his heart and not with his dick.

I actually laughed out loud at this.
  • OysterBarron and Frank Brown like this

Frank Brown
  • Frank Brown

Big Homie

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

No, it is foolish to mention theories because in two pages time it's going to be another NWO debate, but okay, if that's what you want.

Shh, Finn. You're going to ruin the plan.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

I think domestically he was a very good, unifying figure. The problem is he is looked at not for how he navigated domestic politics, but for foreign policy. ANd there is this frankly unequivocally wrong notion that he was some expert diplomat and was an incredible strategic genius. As sivis pointed out, he was pretty damn awful and made an ass of himself on numerous occasions in meetings with Khrushchev. Some historians argue the cause of the cuban missle crisis in the first place was the weakness in the way Kennedy carried himself in meetings with Khrushchev. 

As for the assassination stuff, it is definitely interesting and I'd like to know the answer. I think very soon (less than 5 years from now) most of the documents are going to come out and we'll have a better idea as to what happened. 

Triple Vacuum Seal
  • Triple Vacuum Seal

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

He was popular because he was...

- an Irish and Catholic president in a country that historically subjugated both of these demographics

- he somewhat stood up for the civil rights of African Americans....more or less

- he was a Kennedy (American royalty in a political sense)

- he died tragically and before his natural time in typical Kennedy fashion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users