Racing tips

29 replies to this topic
Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

I've been racing for a decent amount of time and figured it's time for grandpa here to share all his wisdom with you kids. 

Enjoy.

PIT Maneuver defense tactics:

Brake. It's simple, just hit the brake when you see one coming. Yes you'll lose ground however you'll lose less than if you let yourself get hit. One of two things will happen, he'll collide into you but won't spin you out, this might cause him to spin himself out however, or he'll go right past you into a wall/river/whatever is on the other side of you. When that happens I won't lie it's pretty epic. It's really tough though to get it into your mind to brake when this happens. A little training and you'll be laughing at the PIT maneuver.

Cornering:

It goes without saying but learning to corner properly makes a huge difference in this game. This is common knowledge to most but I'm listing it here because it's so damn important. I catch up to almost everyone all the time because of the way I corner turns. another cornering tip is watch the arrows that point you in the right direction during a race. 1 arrow means keep the pedal to the metal, 2 arrows means you should slow down slightly while 3 arrows is almost always a hair pin turn and you should slow down drastically before reaching the turn. Another cornering tip is brake before turning. This seems slower at first and if you're neck and neck with another racer you'll see him fly past you towards the corner. It might be temping not to do this cause it looks like you're losing your lead however go through the whole thing properly and you'll exit that corner faster than he will, if he makes it at all. Just need some patience and a little practice.

Slip Streaming:

It's uses are obvious but if you're a destruction derby type, try NOT hitting everyone you pass. This will result in higher speeds for your vehicle becasue every scrape slows you down, even if you manage to pass your opponent. Use the braking method to avoid being pit maneuvered by the person you're passing or use a feint when passing. (that is pass to one side, then quickly switch to the other when you see your opponents car move to block you.

Going fast:

Obviously the gas button makes you go, but beyond that, what tips can you use to go faster? Here's a few. Don't turn, yeah I know you have to for corners but between corners try touching the thumb stick the LEAST ammount that you can. The quicker your point your cars nose to it's next turn and the quicker your finger comes off the thumb stick the faster you'll go and the longer you'll keep that speed. Say you're slip streaming someone and you make a clean pass and you're racing the sewers. Once you pass them you have a looong straight to go, keep that extra speed you gained from slip streaming by not touching the analogue stick. If you do, you'll slow down to your cars normal max speed and lose any slip streaming speed you gained after passing the car that should now be behind you.

Unusual paths to take:

Practice taking unusual paths, like the very fist jump on the sewers map most people slow down so they don't miss the arch tunnel that comes up right after the jump. Instead practice taking the jump at full speed an aim for the slanted side wall. You'l still hit the checkpoint but when you get to the slanted U turn you'll be higher on the wall and at a better angle making the turn faster and easier. Plus you're unlikely to get rammed from behind because you didn't slow down, and it's unlikely anyone will follow you... At least not intentionally.

Learn when to ram people:

Yeah I don't like doing it but sometimes it's a necessary evil. Like if you're 50 feet from the finish and you're going to lose to someone who's been slip streaming behind you intentionally not passing you to wait for this moment. Screw that guy, take him out or preferably block him if you can. The last 100 yards or so to the finishline is a no holds bar event, get used to it, also braking to avoid a PIT maneuver at this stage in the race isn't advisable.

Boosting off the start:

Don't hit the gas until you see green/go. Simple.

I can't think of anything else at the moment so please share any tips you have!

• Magick, Tupiz and NDE108 like this

oxygen123
  • oxygen123

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

how many races have u won? i won 355 and i can tell u all ur tips are awesome!

Carld123
  • Carld123

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

Thank you!!! I made a thread last night asking for tips :D

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

In GTA V I've won roughly 250 races vs roughly 340ish losses. 

However I've been an avid racing game fan since Top Gear for the SNES... You could say I have a bit of experience.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Yeah I don't like doing it but sometimes it's a necessary evil. Like if you're 50 feet from the finish and you're going to lose to someone who's been slip streaming behind you intentionally not passing you to wait for this moment. Screw that guy, take him out or preferably block him if you can. The last 100 yards or so to the finishline is a no holds bar event, get used to it, also braking to avoid a PIT maneuver at this stage in the race isn't

Its never necessary to ram people.... And no one like a snake in the grass,

An intentional wipe is a wipe out no matter when its done, start or finish.

Nothing is worse then someone who races clean and then goes for a wipe move at the end.  I see snakes in the grass all the time and always remember them next race.  As in I never race clean besides them ever again.

Ramming happens, but even if I ram someone by mistake I try my best to make sure they stay on track and keep straight.  Boxing someone out is one thing.

But if you race clean an entire race and then go ram happy at the end, that's a total bitch move.  And most people don't get fooled twice.

I have players do this to me all the time... And then next race I take them out asap.

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

Yeah I don't like it either... like I said sometimes it's a necessary evil.

Vooodu
  • Vooodu

WiCkED

• BUSTED!
  • Canada

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Or you could just let them pass and take 2nd place.  I do it all the time.

If a player is going for a clean pass instead of a wipe im sorry, I just can't go for the wipe.  

But that's just me...

• Black Rabbit and T0lly like this

JohnTaper
  • JohnTaper

Buddy, I think you're slime.

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:28 PM Edited by JohnTaper, 14 November 2013 - 02:29 PM.

I don't brake when people try to PIT. I turn away from the pit, which also feels unnatural. If somebody tries to hit you in the right rear, you turn left just before or at moment of contact, and they usually bounce off you flying off the road. I can't count how many times I have done this and you don't lose ground like braking.

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

I don't brake when people try to PIT. I turn away from the pit, which also feels unnatural. If somebody tries to hit you in the right rear, you turn left just before or at moment of contact, and they usually bounce off you flying off the road. I can't count how many times I have done this and you don't lose ground like braking.

I'll have to practice this some more cause it hasn't worked out well for me all the time. I agree it does work though just not as well as I'd like.

T0lly
  • T0lly

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

If a player is going for a clean pass instead of a wipe im sorry, I just can't go for the wipe.  

But that's just me...

Agreed. Slipstreaming is not a bad thing, it is part of the physics of the game. If someone is behind me and able to utilize the slipstream to pass, then I say they did a good job and deserve the pass. There are tactics you can use to reduce slipstreaming affect the vehicle behind you may be using without [screwing that guy] and taking them out.

Try slowing down and forcing them to go into first then use their draft to pass at the finish.

Try taking an unorthodox line, they will may not follow and lose the slipstream.

Weaving erratically is not a good method in my eyes. It may cause them to lose the slipstream but is not good racing and increases the chances for a wreck. And no one wants to wreck, right?

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

But that's just me...

Sometimes I do if the other player was a clean racer. Sometimes i don't. I almost always try to block someone from passing me at the end of races. It does piss me off though if you slip stream but don't pass when you have a chance to cause they just want to wait till the end to do it. I know it's a valid tactic but it irks me nonetheless that I had to hold 1st place for you an entire race when you could pass me and we could both be going much faster taking turns slip streaming. I figure if I did the work I'm not going to just hand you a win.

BurningBalls
  • BurningBalls

The furthest minion of the Crimson King

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

Wow, great thread.

Especially for someone like me who doesn't usually play racing games. I always get confused when people pit me, lol.

sparkydeltorro
  • sparkydeltorro

Trick

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

I prefer the bike races in general.  Less bullsh*t..

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

Something I forgot to mention about braking when getting pit maneuvered is you can keep the gas pushed and brake at the same time. You'll lose less ground this way.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

I have a few things to add:

If someone is slipstreaming you, don't let them pass because you want to race clean. Don't think 'it's part of the mechanics of the game'. You know what else is part of the game? Hitting them. No, not overly aggressive, but get in their way when they try to overtake. Push them away if they're past your rear from slipstreaming - don't give them a free lunch because they stayed in second until the last checkpoint, you're in first, you deserve it. Of course, if you can't counter a simple slipstream, then you don't deserve first.

That said, if someone's going faster than you and is behind you - not just slipstreaming - brake. Brake hard. Time it so that you press the accelerator when they hit you, slowing them down a lot and giving you a nice speed boost. 

If you're doing a dirty race, at the corners try to time it so that you hit other people and use them instead of braking. Yes, it's an old, annoying move, but if everyone's playing dirty, that's part of it. 

Now, onto clean racing: try and form a slip-streaming pair in first and second (i.e. you keep overtaking each other). This will lessen the effect of catch-up if it's on (not saying catch-up is bad - it isn't - but you'll easily keep your lead in front of the other players), otherwise it'll give you a good advantage. 

Take the inside corner, e.g. if you're on the motorway, and it's a sweeping left turn with you racing on the right side, stick to the centre of the motorway so you have less ground to cover.  

• mo-seph likes this

Howej004
  • Howej004

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Best tip i can give is if it's a straight line to the finish and it's a big distance, let someone else go ahead of you so you can get in their slip stream. 

If you are only just in 1st place someone will get in your slip stream and beat you

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

Another tip for Fighter Jet races is hit the brakes at the start and let everyone get in front of you. Then as soon as weapons are armed simply shoot everyone down in front of you. By the time they all respawn they should be busy taking themselves out leaving you alone in the lead till the end. It's cheap but you know... you're racing fighter jets.

• BuyMeTheMoon likes this

BuyMeTheMoon
  • BuyMeTheMoon

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Norway

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:07 PM

Another tip for Fighter Jet races is hit the brakes at the start and let everyone get in front of you. Then as soon as weapons are armed simply shoot everyone down in front of you. By the time they all respawn they should be busy taking themselves out leaving you alone in the lead till the end. It's cheap but you know... you're racing fighter jets.

I always do that, haha, and it works nearly all the time

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

I know... I feel dirty when I do it but yeah so far I've only ever lost the very first race I tried that in. Ever since then it's been nothing but wins. I'm surprised no one else tries it.

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

Seeing posts asking how to win races. bumping topic cause I don't feel like repeating myself.

Got questions, feel free to ask.

soggyinvert
  • soggyinvert

Playa

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Hmmm great stuff :)

tapz63
  • tapz63

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

Fighter jet races? How have I not seen that? Where abouts do you start them from?

Black Rabbit
  • Black Rabbit

Owsla

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

But that's just me...

Sometimes I do if the other player was a clean racer. Sometimes i don't. I almost always try to block someone from passing me at the end of races. It does piss me off though if you slip stream but don't pass when you have a chance to cause they just want to wait till the end to do it. I know it's a valid tactic but it irks me nonetheless that I had to hold 1st place for you an entire race when you could pass me and we could both be going much faster taking turns slip streaming. I figure if I did the work I'm not going to just hand you a win.

I'm going to disagree with you on this. YOU did all the work? You know what is harder than staying in first place? f*cking trying to stay behind someone who is in first while the slipstream is trying to force you past said person. It takes a lot more skill to do that then to just drive in front of the pack. 

DillBagnr
  • DillBagnr

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

Yeah I don't like doing it but sometimes it's a necessary evil. Like if you're 50 feet from the finish and you're going to lose to someone who's been slip streaming behind you intentionally not passing you to wait for this moment. Screw that guy, take him out or preferably block him if you can. The last 100 yards or so to the finishline is a no holds bar event, get used to it, also braking to avoid a PIT maneuver at this stage in the race isn't

Its never necessary to ram people.... And no one like a snake in the grass,

An intentional wipe is a wipe out no matter when its done, start or finish.

Nothing is worse then someone who races clean and then goes for a wipe move at the end.  I see snakes in the grass all the time and always remember them next race.  As in I never race clean besides them ever again.

You know what, if you whine about somebody's racing, it's not going to help you win at all.

Ramming people when appropriate will, though.  Racing is about winning, not appeasing crybabies.

• Bury The Shovel likes this

Black Rabbit
  • Black Rabbit

Owsla

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

Any tips for breaking a missile lock? I try everything, I'll make huge circles, fly in a corkscrew, change directions, hit brakes......it's amazing what they'll follow. 

• Kracus likes this

Tupiz
  • Tupiz

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

My tip: use the right stick to look into corners to avoid crashes. Also when you're going over a blind hill.

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

Any tips for breaking a missile lock? I try everything, I'll make huge circles, fly in a corkscrew, change directions, hit brakes......it's amazing what they'll follow. 

Sure go up and look behind you. If you're in a chopper your best bet is to go up, if you're moving at a decent clip pull back hard. It's also a good idea to keep an eye on the missile in question so look behind you often if your attacker is behind you. Also if you're already flying up and a missile is shot at you, go upside down, if you're already upside down, go straight down, you see where I'm going with this? The idea is to turn 90 degrees facing up to whatever direction your facing, so up might be sideways to you.

If your opponent is fast, try slowing down, essentially I guess what I'm trying to say is be unpredictable. If it's imminent that you're going to be shot, jump out of the aircraft.

• Black Rabbit likes this

Mpirerocks
  • Mpirerocks

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:19 AM Edited by Mpirerocks, 25 December 2013 - 04:20 AM.

Nah I don't like people who race like you.. Let me tell, you if I've been busting my ass to stay in your slip stream to pass you at the right moment before the line and you clip me your a d$&k point blank. I swear you people who feel ramming is ok should be reported. I'm not gonna waste my time. Drafting ain't cheating, it racing. Rubbing is racing also but ramming is demo derby.

Ram me In a race and I won't stop coming at you until your last. Honestly if my Xbox and or tv get thrown against the wall it's because of jerks who ram..

Hate me if you want but I like to race. Created a couple tracks.. One loosely based off someones here but slightly different and more straights. Another on in midtown ls.. I like it but all it's missing is a hairpin turn, more one the way.

Gt valuingkarma754
SC mpirerocks
  • Cwinny24 likes this

mo-seph
  • mo-seph

Cunning Stunt

• Members
  • None
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

some good tips on here,,, there used to be a racing tips sticky that got deleted in the recent GTAF rearrange... shame as a lot of good tips were lost... but as i wrote it ill add some here and delte any duplication from the OP

Traffic

If traffic is on keep an eye out longer ahead on the road. half expecting every NPC to randomly turn into you,,, be prepared for anything as then you can avoid it if it does happen and no worries if it doesn't.... Also if you have traffic on try and overtake with an NPC car between you and your fellow racers, stops them from PIT'ing you as there's a car in the way and gives you a nice clean overtake... this uses the slingshot slipstream idea

Practice, Practice, Practice...

Getting use to the tracks helps so doing some solo runs can be a real benefit. Theres no-one else on the track to worry about and you're free to find what lines work best for you and your car.

Weather

Obviously rain can affect your traction so this is something to bear in mind when entering corners, try not to go too fast or too sharp into the turn or you will spin out... keep clean smooth lines

My Rules of Thumb are

1) Drive Smooth
2) Dont try and PIT people, you lose more than you gain, mostly respect....
3) take corners from the outside to the inside back outside... the less sharp the turn, the faster you can take it
4) pick higher traction over slightly more speed or acceleration, its totally worth it
5) use NPC traffic to your advantage
6) Have a butt load of fun... whether you win or lose racing is about the getting from a - b not just crossing the finish line.. i race alot cos i enjoy it,, i get murked in deathmatches loads so racing is my main source of income until my shooting ability (not in game, but using the controller) gets better and I can hold my own in LTS and DM

Motorbikes

I really love a good motorbike race, but a little tip that contradicts my earlier advice... Specifically on motorbikes use your handbrake... the normal brake is your front wheel (cool for endos, but lose traction and steering in a race) whereas your handbrake is your rear brake... help to keep this in mind when approaching a turn on a bike, keeps alot
more stability in the turn.

Fastlaps, Race Partners and Extra RP

Obviously we all want faster lap times. Some of my fastest lap times have been when ive lost places and have to try and come back into the first three, obviously this is where catchup can help if its left on, but it usually get me fired up for hitting those slipstreams, slingshot
overtakes and the inside line in corners... ive also noticed this can gives me more RP in the Race.

Ive regularly now seen the message "you have reached maximum RP for this activity" and figured out that every time you hit two checkpoints quicker than the rest of the pack it counts an "overtake" and quite often you will see a "10 Overtakes" message when youve hit a few checkpoints without actually overtaking anyone... because its based on point-point times. nearly every time ive seen that message my lap time has been faster than the race winner, or ive made up some serious ground in P2P races.

Then theres the Slipstream RP bonuses. If you slipstream a car for more than 5 seconds you get a little RP bonus. Theres also an RP bonus for being first when you hit a new lap.. so in an ideal world (which rarely happens) you want to be making ground each lap, finishing in first for the lap, then letting some people overtake you to slipstream them,
slingshot overtake at the last couple of checkpoints and do the same again,, on a 5 lap race of Criminal Records its easy to max out the little RP bonuses this way.

This is where Race Partners come in... The fastest lap times are set using slipstreaming. If you and a friend can get clear of the pack and keep slipstreaming the entire race, as the rear driver gets the speed boost he over-takes to the lead position, then the follower car gets the speed boost and over-takes the new leader. With a precise pair of drivers this is how really fast lap/P2P times are set as you can both effectively slipstream for 50% of the race (RP bonus) and each slingshot overtake will help reduce your overall times (as the car you overtake gets into a slipstream off your slightly boosted speed)

So that being said you can get more RP if you arent leading the race the whole way through.

Catch Up on vs Catch Up Off

Obviously if your hosting this is an interesting choice.. Personally I (and most RRR1 members) go for catch-up off in most races. I like to know if im leading, my speed wont be crippled by a game engine. For me, there's also a slightly hollow feeling to be in last and know your only making up ground because of some in-game function, if im losing id rather lose fairly... motivates me to get better.

However if your not as confident in your racing ability, or know your in a group of bumper drivers, having catch up on can help you recover if you do get taken out or miss time your cornering. Catchup on can also "level the playing field" when you have a lobby of mixed levels but you want to keep the race interesting (as imo just leading the race all the
way can be a bit boring and less RP than winning by a second, with some close neck and neck slip-streaming... winning is still winning right??)

Custom Cars

I guess this depends on how much you want to win and who you are playing with... if im in a mixed lobby of friends who dont all have custom for the class we are racing I tend to by nice and turn Custom off... In those circumstances i need the RP less than a lower level racer.. who needs to get some more race time to be a real (custom on catch up off style) challenge... I like to be challenged rather than just wiping the floor with my friends because i have more game time under my belt and them getting demotivated to keep racing.

That said if im hosting for randoms there's a little part of me that wants to just take the easy win and avoid the possibility of being taken out early in the race... until we build up a bit of banter, i know im playing with some clean racers and then I might be open to switching custom off

What to Keep in your Garage (IMO)

Im not going to say which car is the fastest or the best... i truly believe a lot of that preference comes from driving style and your own personal choices... I know what works for me, but that doesnt mean it will work for you. However if you race alot and take yourself pretty seriously as a racer then you need a strong arsenal of cars at your deposal, to customise over time and give you that edge on the track. Personally given the frequency of class types id recommend you have the following at your disposal, in this order of priority (as to begin with you may only have a 2 car garage, then moving up to 6 then 10)

(2 Car Garage)

1 x Sports (Free Elegy is a good and economical choice to upgrade)
1 x Motorbike

(6 car garage, inc the above)

1 x Compact (as not many people mod compacts for racing, but on the odd occasion you race them it could give you the edge)
1 x Offroad (Sanchez is a good strong choice for winning)
1 x Muscle
1 x Coupe, Sedan or SUV (your pref, not many people race in these classes IMO)

(10 Car Garage, inc above)

1 x Coupe, Sedan or SUV (whichever you don't already have)
1 x Supercar (cos you likely cant afford one till you have some races/cash under
your belt, at which point you will have more race mods unlocked for upgrading)
1 x Sports Classics

This gives you one in each category, your gonna have to make a decisions between your coupe, sedans and SUVs... being that bit slower  I dont see as many races in these  categories compared to Sports and Super. If you can afford a super car before you ahve a 10 car garage by all measn get yourself one before hand... but bear in mind if you dont have money to mod it too its kinda a pointless purchase... youd be better to mod your
lower end vehicles first to give you a better chance in races in these categories (hell if youve got a pimped out compact host some compact races youcoud see your win:loss ratio improve), and use a standard super for super races, as its will perform the same as an owned one without the big price tag.

Join a Racing Crew

Coudnt recommend this more, joining a racing crew will do a lot for your skills on the track. Having regular races with other hardcore racers will improve your game quite a lot, giving you guidance for line choices through the apex of turns and good track knowledge. Obviously theres a lot of crews in the recruitment section, and a couple of links in my sig to Approved Racers that always race clean, NOT PIT... no reverse driving or other messing about, just clean racing.

illRAGElli
  • illRAGElli

Entity XFetish

• Members

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

Join a Racing Crew

Coudnt recommend this more, joining a racing crew will do a lot for your skills on the track. Having regular races with other hardcore racers will improve your game quite a lot, giving you guidance for line choices through the apex of turns and good track knowledge. Obviously theres a lot of crews in the recruitment section, and a couple of links in my sig to Approved Racers that always race clean, NOT PIT... no reverse driving or other messing about, just clean racing.

Maybe join Los Santos Racing Sport (see in my Signature how)

Sorry in Advance for Recruitment-Slipstreaming, Mo-seph ;O

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users