Quantcast

» «
Photo

Grand Theft Auto V: Underrated by Games. Anyone else agree?

33 replies to this topic
CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

If anyone is wondering why I don't post anymore, it's be

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

On Metacritic, GTA V has a user score of only 8.2 (PS3 and 8.1 (X360). The problem is that many people were expecting GTA San Andreas HD (which I hope Rockstar makes so people stop complaining about GTA V) and the others who like GTA IV better are simply story whores.
I've seen many complaint threads where people are listing things that they hated in previous games, for example, I have seen complaints regarding the lack of dating in GTA V (which I'm thrilled about, I'm glad they removed that crappy feature) and the fact that Bowling has been cut, all people ever did was complain about bowling before GTA V was released, and for good reason, but when it's gone, sh*t hits the fan, this is the sort of behavior to expect from a baby, for example, even if a baby is not playing with a ball (in the case of GTA, a bowling ball), they cry when it gets taken away. As for others, all they do is complain how they like the story in GTA IV better (I personally liked GTA V's story better but that's beside the point), people think that GTA IV's story makes all of it's issues go away, as I mentioned on several other threads, GTA IV's story doesn't make the planes flyable, it doesn't make Bowling and Pool fun, it doesn't add vehicle variety and it doesn't make the constant harassment from 'friends' to go bowling any more bearable. While I respect opinions, people should either justify their opinion better or simply say which game they prefer.
Anyway, enough ranting, does anyone agree that GTA V is underrated by games?

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Anyway, enough ranting, does anyone agree that GTA V is underrated by games?

N Gk8uADa.gifO

jerrodh7244
  • jerrodh7244

The Big Boss

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:28 PM

I dont know I kind of agree looking at some of the games around 8.0. We are in a day in age when really a good game is an 8.5+. I mean I dont play as many games I guess so maybe I feel different. My only problem is the amount of negativity (and it might mostly just be these forums) but that people view the game as. Even if its not the best GTA ever created it's still a great game and a ton of fun. 

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Compared to CoD Ghosts' rating, I'd say it's pretty reasonable.

Hugef1
  • Hugef1

Playa

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

If people hate the game, why does it bother those who like it, and vice versa. Why does it even matter?

• Matty likes this

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012
    Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Not at all. I like GTA V and still play it on a regular basis, but a game that sold 29 millions copies, broke sales records and has a higher user score than most games do isn't what I'd call "underrated".

Personally it's an 8.5 to me. While it's fun it's not at all what it could/should have been. Poor amount of side missions for three protagonists, lack of interiors, a beautiful yet under-utilised map, a inconsistent and annoying cop system, lack of basic mechanics such as crouching, grabbing and holding onto ledges etc.

I think it's a bit much to say it's terrible, but generally most people rate it fairly and honestly. I'd say its average user score is spot on. A great, but flawed game.
  • Ermac and TakinThyBacon like this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:18 PM

so just because I like GTA IV more I'm a story whore??

you are simply saying for a fact that everything in GTA IV was just bad and GTA V had it all done right

Learn to accept the opinion of others dumbass and Rockstar whore

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:18 PM Edited by Official General, 14 November 2013 - 03:37 PM.

NO.

8.5/10 is my score. I just don't think it deserves anything more than that. 

There is your answer. In fact I think it's slightly overrated. SA fanboy ? Nah bro, I love SA, but I'm a Vice City man first. Story whore ? Wrong again. While I like a great story, any GTA game has to equal the balance with great, fun and interesting gameplay. The story is not the deciding factor for me. 

So, as far as I'm concerned, your reasoning and logic is straight bullsh*t. And I think you're just a Rockstar ass licker. 

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

Sounds about right to me, I love the game but hate some of the things they have done with it. It lacks many things that would make it a 10 for me

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Insert Things I Hate Here

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

GTA IV has better gameplay.

carl turtle
  • carl turtle

Trick

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:37 PM Edited by carl turtle, 14 November 2013 - 02:37 PM.

GTA IV missions are repetitive and boring

HoleInTheSky
  • HoleInTheSky

Dullard

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

I don't buy this "underrated" "overrated" bullsh*t. People call it how they see it. In most cases, huge fans will usually call something underrated just because they want more people to love it, and those who dislike anything popular will immediately call it overrated. Not much to go by.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Underrated? Shut up... that score suits this game. Hell I gave it a 7.5.
  • Immigration likes this

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Street Cat

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

I wasn't expecting San Andreas 2.0 for Christ sakes...I was expecting a better GTA game that built on past GTA/RDR games. You point out such insignificant details, do you even know what you are ranting about?

GTA V: 8.8

Your thread 1/10

Tikhung
  • Tikhung

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

*overrated.

LateNightNeons
  • LateNightNeons

Trick

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:52 PM Edited by LateNightNeons, 14 November 2013 - 02:56 PM.

I doesn't matter,

Metacritic user reviews are not relevant to anything. They are either 10 or 0 in every game. The final score is determent of how popular the game is, if it's an exclusive, if it has a rival, if critics gave it favorable reviews then the haters are gonna downrate it , if critics gave it bad reviews then the fanboys will more likely up vote it etc.

Dan001
  • Dan001

Hello

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

An 8.5 for an 8.5 kind of game.

I don't see the issue here.

Huffin-Puffin
  • Huffin-Puffin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

I don't think V is underrated, I think IV is horribly over rated. On a scale where V is an 8.5 I can't see how IV is worth more than a 7 with its miserable world, miserable characters, sh*t story, million cut scenes and the pathetically slow pace it gets started at. I've never played a game so dour and serious, it doesn't fit into the GTA series at all.
  • OneManCrimeWave likes this

Ellie Hunt
  • Ellie Hunt

Sonofa Gun

• Awaiting Authorization

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

Compared to The Last of Us, which for me was an absolutely excellent game, I'd say GTA V has a pretty reasonable rating due to the fact that TLoU has a rating of 9.1 and GTA V has a rating of 8.1

It may be a little underrated based on the story, but then if you compare these two remarkable stories, it kind of actually makes sense. I'd also like to point out that the GTA V story was also very good because you're able to choose how you end your story, whereas in TLoU you don't get to make a decision about what you can do at the end.

Personally I'd rate GTA V at 8.3/4 based on how TLoU is rated.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

If you look at other metacritic scores where people scored it, it's actually one of the highest ones there. Probably the highest rated if you figure in the amount of people. A lot of the scores on that site are from fanboys or trolls, it's the sh*thole of reviewing sites. Just enjoy the game yourself and don't worry about what other people think.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

To answer your question op...yes.

GTA V gets a solid 9.5 from me. It's my favourite GTA to date, and by far the most fun. The reason I don't give it a perfect 10, is down to the rather short campaign being a result of R's focus on MP. But playing through the story a 2nd time and mixing it up a bit with the mission variety, more than makes up for it. Adding to that, the game also contains the most entertaining character in gaming history - Trevor!

But I agree with you regarding SA. I too hope R* makes a 2.0 hd remake of that game so hopefully it will shut the kids up, and the rest of us can move on without having to hear their tantrums everytime a new GTA releases.

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:35 PM Edited by r34ld34l, 14 November 2013 - 04:35 PM.

OP, do you only check numbers and not read words? Yeah did think so. READ REVIEWS then you will know WHY.

727gta
  • 727gta

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Ridiculous. If you are a person who only reads what they want (the criticism) then yes it is underrated. But if you also look at the pure fanboys (not saying people who like this game are fanboys) they think this game is a masterpiece, perfect, flawless and the game of the generation. Which I know it is their opinion but no game is perfect, no game will ever be either.

Basically the underrated/overrated arguments are pointless and will just go back and forth with no side agreeing with the other. GTA V is well scored at around 8 because it has glaring flaws which stops this game reaching its potential. 

Ermac
  • Ermac

Black Spasmodic

• The Yakuza
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

You really can't use user reviews to gauge that though. A large amount are either 0's because "DIS GAEM SUX, NO CEE JAY, NO JETPACK, OVERHYPED" or 10's because "BESTEST GEAM EVAR, EYE VEE SUKED" instead of rating it based on it's strengths and weaknesses. Add that to the fact that as you pointed out, people feel it deserves a higher user score, so they'll drop a 10 just because.

For me it's a solid 9. It's amazing, but at the same time, there are things they missed that really shouldn't have been missed at all imo.

GTAPhilly1
  • GTAPhilly1

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

It's definitely a solid 8.5/10! 

It's more of a download than a true game (minus the missions/tdm/races that nobody plays)

But very fun at times! 

Punk Noodles
  • Punk Noodles

Playa

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

People in general have sh*t taste in entertainment, and that includes games. GTA V is a clear 10 to anyone with at least half a brain.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:42 PM Edited by ThroatSlasher2, 14 November 2013 - 05:42 PM.

GTA V underrated ?

tumblr_muchksAXjA1s8hpsjo1_400.gif

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

This underrated and overratd stuff is a little dumb to be honest. Its all somewhat dependant on opinions. I personally feel anything above a 7.5 and below a 9.5 is reasonable for V.

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:27 PM Edited by bish0p2004, 14 November 2013 - 07:28 PM.

SA is my favorite GTA game, but I would hate a SA 2.0. I simply want R* to improve upon features that worked in previous games, rather than completely remove them. Or, add something in that is at least equal in terms of fun.

As far as [fun] gameplay features go, SA is the cummulation of 3 and VC, plus more, which is why so many hold it in such high regard. IV stripped down a lot of these fun features. V added some of them back (which is why I personally like it better than IV), but it still doesn't have a lot of the fun, replayable features of SA.

Anyways, I give it an 8/10 as it's still a good game.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

I don't think V is underrated, I think IV is horribly over rated. On a scale where V is an 8.5 I can't see how IV is worth more than a 7 with its miserable world, miserable characters, sh*t story, million cut scenes and the pathetically slow pace it gets started at. I've never played a game so dour and serious, it doesn't fit into the GTA series at all.

shut the f*ck up man

because of kids like you they are dumbing down the games (somehow GTA V has found a balance in many points but still some OTT missions were just not needed and were put in to calm you crybabies down)

not every game has to be like COD where sh*t gets blown up every second understand that

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users