Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Art of Tank Sniping Explained

277 replies to this topic
Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

R.I.P. in peace Aesthetic, you beautifully beta bastard you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:26 AM Edited by Omnifarious, 06 February 2014 - 08:28 AM.

POPULAR

So, I finally figured out how to snipe people out of their tanks. No, it's not about finding that super sweet secret thermal exhaust port. It's about distance. "Distance?" I hear you chime in with swiftly. Yes, distance my dear. This not only applies to tanks, but PVs (Player Vehicles) as well.

So what do I mean with all this distance nonsense? Beyond a certain point, (Around .20th of a mile from my personal experience) is the point at which the model of a PV, such as a car, or tank, will render, but for some reason, won't have a hit box of its own. "OOohhhh!" I hear you say. Yes, that's how it's done. Beyond this distance, it doesn't matter, .20 of a mile, .70 of a mile, and (in my farthest reaching test) 1.2 miles away, doesn't matter.

Try it yourself with a friend, get a tank, (Whether it be from Fort Zancudo, or a personal tank) and have your friend sit in the tank at a place around .20-.70 of a mile away from wherever it is you're going to snipe from. For this test, I chose the Richard's Majestic Hotel heli pad. (See picture below.)

GzcW1hY.jpg

From here, the 400k house can be seen from about .70m (we're gonna pretend that m stands for miles and not meters here) away. The red circles below represent where the tank is parked, unfortunately, the camera phone doesn't have a very high zoom...

RIsxBjV.jpg

From the south east corner of the Richard's Majestic Hotel, to this bridge, (as shown below) is about .20m away. You can just barely make out the car that is circled. (I shot a guy out of that through the upper left of the roof.) This is a great testing point for your tank sniping practice. It's very level, open, and you have a clear view of the tank/car you're practicing on.

U5ZSolb.jpg

The trick to a mile + shot, is simply looking for the health bar. Even though they're out of render distance, (people stop rendering after something stupidly small like 100 meters away.) their car they're in will still render even a mile away, albeit, very glitchily in some cases. (low res textures, jumping around, etc) Your greatest friend here, is hitscan. Every gun in the game is hitscan, even your sniper rifle is hitscan. What does this mean you ask? It means that you don't have to take ANYTHING into account; not distance, not velocity, not even the wind, NOTHING. You fire, and it hits ...instantly.

The easiest way to sniper targets at long range, is to simply leave your cross-hairs at a location in front of your traveling target, and fire when they drive through your cross-hairs.

Now remember, if you can see the health bar, then you can hit them, doesn't matter if they have their back to you, or their side. Your bullet will bypass the WHOLE car/tank, and hit the player inside. (The health bar isn't required, but just helps you find where their body/head is inside the tank.)

For some reason, even though the player model doesn't render at that distance, their hit box still does. Where as the vehicle's model renders, but has no hit box. Rockstar logic, lol. Not to mention, it seems to be MUCH easier to hit people at long range, almost as if your bullet is as big as your cross-hair's dot in the center. (At longer ranges, the dot can take up the whole driver side window of a car.

I hope this helped! I've already sniped 3 tanks, and a few passing cars on the freeway this way.

Edit 1: "To figure out the distance between two objects, simply set a waypoint from one to the other, and get into a car. It will tell you the distance between you and the other location in the lower right hand corner of the radar."

Edit 2: "I can confirm, that at close range, (below .20th of a mile) that the back left vent of the tank, is a weak point. What I mean by this, is that you can use this to snipe the driver out of his tank, just like a normal car window. Just wait for him to turn away from you, and pretend like you're sniping someone out of their car via the back left window. I have killed 4 tank drivers like this. One was right in front of me, almost touching me he was so close, so it most definitely works at close range lol."

"I haven't tested out the normal sniper rifle, but the heavy sniper most definitely can fire straight through the vent and into the operator's cabin. So I guess, the tank really does have a super weak thermal exhaust port, lol."

Edit 3: "After extensive testing, I can confirm that it's not only a specific point on the rear left venting, but it is in fact the ENTIRETY of the rear armor's grated venting that's weak to the heavy sniper's rounds. I tired from many different angles. As long as you have a straight angle through the rear vents, to the operator's seat, then you can kill the operator, regardless of distance. (At least, in my previous testing, just had a few tanks that I couldn't snipe from the back end today at close range. So perhaps they've patched it, or it was just dumb luck... oooorrrr a few God mode'ers.)"

Some helpful advice from SAVILLAIN with an image of the weak points of the tank.

did some tank bounty killing and people were getting mad at me for " just going after a low bounty kill " but who cares

so then I went into the lab and found the best places to take the tank out

rNrUgAY.jpg

• hafftrak, MC., manutd36 and 53 others like this

gnad
  • gnad

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

Wow nice thread op. Very well explained. I'm good on sniping Thanks to bf3
  • ReverendPain666 and SCS_Skreamies like this

Balikye
  • Balikye

*Siiiigh* Fine, just call me Bali.

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:38 AM Edited by Balikye, 14 November 2013 - 01:42 AM.

Going straight out and doing this now! :3 Oh, btw, I forgot to say thanks! Domo arigato!!!

• Omnifarious likes this

Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

R.I.P. in peace Aesthetic, you beautifully beta bastard you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:00 AM

Wow nice thread op. Very well explained. I'm good on sniping Thanks to bf3

Thanks for the kind words haha.

• gnad likes this

Axton
  • Axton

Vault Hunter

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

Very well said and articulate, OP.

Split into paragraphs so hopefully no 'TL;DR' morons, though I'm sure they'll be some.

As for the information given, I'm gonna go with it. I would test it myself, but I can honestly say I have never seen a tank Online before, besides the NPC's in Fort Zancudo.

• ten-a-penny and Omnifarious like this

Blasterman4EVER
  • Blasterman4EVER

Judgement Time

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:31 AM Edited by Blasterman4EVER, 14 November 2013 - 02:32 AM.

I almost wish you hadn't shared this. I felt like I was walking around with one of the best kept secrets.

It's true, what this man says.

Without exaggerating... I have sniped perhaps 100 or more people out of tanks using this method. It is the ultimate equalizer and knowing it is why I don't complain like a lot of people about tanks being overpowered.

Get a couple of cats in a session who know this... those tank trolls will be crying.

• RooftopSniper and LuCkySabeR like this

Lagful
  • Lagful

Certified Fresh

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:36 AM Edited by Lagful, 14 November 2013 - 02:38 AM.

So the hitbox is just non-existent at those distances? What the f*ck? I had no idea. This has to be the most informal thread I've read in a while. +1

I didn't even know about getting the distance through waypoints either.. lol

• Omnifarious likes this

SteveNYC
  • SteveNYC

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

I hate those idiot tank operating glitchers. Hunting tanks has been my sport for weeks now I've gotton close to  40 45 of them  they usually leave after the 3rd or 4th time u snipe them.  The .50 is great but in my  expert opinion  Rockstar  should add the Anzio 20mm Mag Fed Anti Tank Sniper Weapons system.  It looks just like a Barrett M82 except its  130lbs and  almost 7 ft long with a range of about 5000 yards this way u can snipe them from atop of the maze bank building as their passing the wind farm on the del pierro fwy . LOL

SteveNYC
  • SteveNYC

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:41 AM

And to add to that  we should have the ability  to choose our ammo  at ammunition  especially  for the heavy sniper, to add high explosive incendiary rounds, and white phosphorus grenades, so u can go off the radar  climb atop the tank open the hatch and cook his ass it would deter allot of these lil 12 yrs old driving the tank spinning the turret like they have Tourette syndrom

prodigy_hades
  • prodigy_hades

Peon

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

good, this deserves its own thread
tired of explaining to ppl how to snipe a tank especially when some doesn't even know its possible
I encourage ppl to read this and learn instead of getting another tank or buzzard or lazer and bring chaos to the city
good job OP  :santa:

• LuCkySabeR likes this

SOHC_VTEC
  • SOHC_VTEC

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

Good info op! These forums deserve more threads like these, positive and informative. Keep up the good work!

SteveNYC
  • SteveNYC

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

Its even funnier when the kid in the tank ( whose most likely a serial glitcher ) calls u a hacker and threatens to report u when u take away his invincibility, tbh  the reason why they get hit is because they stop  and try to flex their 120mm muscle on everyone  lol, even in a real life scenario a tank in an urban setting you'll have every troop with a javelin missile launcher aiming for that idiot 

SteveNYC
  • SteveNYC

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:57 AM

All in favor for Rockstar to include a 20mm Long Range Sniper Weapons System

• alexzub likes this

aurther61287
  • aurther61287

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:06 AM

great just let everyone know another glitch to exploit. fantastic. this game wont be playable in a few months time considering the rate of hackers/glitches compared to the rate they fix them

giraffeboy
  • giraffeboy

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:19 AM Edited by giraffeboy, 14 November 2013 - 03:19 AM.

I wouldn't call this a glitch or an exploit, it's a great equalizer against morons who glitch tanks/buzzards/lazers in their garage and grief with them. Someone upset that their fun might be ending?

• MC., Gr8bighead, officerdoofy and 3 others like this

Alix626
  • Alix626

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:21 AM

Obviously this only works with a Heavy Sniper?

SteveNYC
  • SteveNYC

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

great just let everyone know another glitch to exploit. fantastic. this game wont be playable in a few months time considering the rate of hackers/glitches compared to the rate they fix them

I have a feeling   Rockstar is working on a patch or an upcoming fix in one of their patches where these special vehicles these kids have and insured in their garages eg. tanks riot vans buzzards  etc  will be booted out, at least its wishful thinking

SteveNYC
  • SteveNYC

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:26 AM

Heavy sniper is more of a one shot deal with a high health bar...........the reg sniper rifle  prob based off a .308  takes  one if the health bar is below half  2 if its full  sometimes  u get lucky  with 1 shot even with a full health bar , but the .50 is more effective  especially at long draw distance ranges

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:29 AM

While this is interesting, this is pretty lame and I don't even use a tank.  Definitely needs a fix.

willeyj
  • willeyj

54-46

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

You just gave away the secret to rooftop sniping. At least you did it well. Good thread.
  • LuCkySabeR likes this

Alix626
  • Alix626

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:31 AM

Heavy sniper is more of a one shot deal with a high health bar...........the reg sniper rifle  prob based off a .308  takes  one if the health bar is below half  2 if its full  sometimes  u get lucky  with 1 shot even with a full health bar , but the .50 is more effective  especially at long draw distance ranges

Hey thanks for the answer :cookie:

Coyteria
  • Coyteria

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:32 AM

Speaking on his behalf, doitashimash*te

SteveNYC
  • SteveNYC

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:33 AM

I wouldn't call this a glitch or an exploit, it's a great equalizer against morons who glitch tanks/buzzards/lazers in their garage and grief with them. Someone upset that their fun might be ending?

by the looks of his z-type icon I would  say we have a glitcher present lol

Coyteria
  • Coyteria

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:34 AM

Also, was told this by someone already. But you still need to aim at the player.

SteveNYC
  • SteveNYC

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:38 AM

Sniping is a thinking mans game reading the map figuring, when there gonna break from cover when to lead the shot etc, He might have given away the secret  but most of the call of duty rampage killing cowboys in the lobby  wont know where to find him anyway, even knowing where the blip is  but the by time  he figures it out hes been killed 3 times already and  sending u hate messages, that part I do love the most  makes those 5-10 kills a session quality kills the more memorable   

• EyeMacHunt and RooftopSniper like this

GameTitan88
  • GameTitan88

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

I already knew of this... Thanks for sharing anyway. I love when their is a tank kid killing indiscriminately in a server. I go to the end of del perro pier and antagonize him to come after me. Oh, The rage as they constantly try to get back in their tank.

Coyteria
  • Coyteria

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:41 AM

So how far in terms of distance? Does it have to be far? I usually fluke my shots. I need help.

SteveNYC
  • SteveNYC

One Shot One Kill

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:42 AM

So how far in terms of distance? Does it have to be far? I usually fluke my shots. I need help.

Once that health bar appears under his name u have a clear shot.....andhe should be receiving a you have been scoped message  after the triggers been pulled lol

Biohazard Abyss
  • Biohazard Abyss

SC Thread Avatar Comp Winner

• BUSTED!
  • Cuba
  • Best New Member 2013

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:44 AM

n1b782.gif

Omg I almost choked. LOL

I haven't seen that gif in forever lol it's the best didn't read gif along with

jaime-didnt-read-lol.gif

EyeMacHunt
  • EyeMacHunt

Tank Hunter

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:46 AM

Have 1173 Heavy Sniper kills, I estimate at least 1000 of them are PVP and 50% of those being tanks. That't what 30 days in bad sport does, plenty of tanks to shoot.

The rage coming through the mic after a tank snipe makes every kill worthwhile

• Wolfhuman, stonedpimpso, RooftopSniper and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users