Photo

Anxiety attack while playing online with others. Why and how can I pre

371 replies to this topic
fw3
  • fw3

I SMELL FISH!

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:57 AM

Your posts are funny but I am kinda worrying why this is the only game that does this to me.

Despite what other may experience or the humor that they reply with, I suggest if you are experiencing any kind of detrimental effect from the game then you should perhaps stop playing it. Without knowing anything about you or what may be triggering your reaction, it makes the most sense to step away and do something more productive.

In my own experience, I've experienced undesired effects from some games. Acclaim's Burnout featured a blurred peripheral view when cars went at top speed that gave me slight motion sickness when I played too long.

Personally, there's a definite thrill in GTAV:O when racing and battling against live players online, which could likely have an adverse reaction for you. 

But again, if it's too much, take a break before you have a full-fledged panic attack... or worse! chill bro! cheers.

• nexoric likes this

Suppa K
  • Suppa K

Only Zuul

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:57 AM Edited by Suppa K, 14 November 2013 - 12:58 AM.

Lol OP are you serious.

Oh god this is hilarious.

Edit: I can't play RE1 remake for more than an hour because I can't handle survival horror games if it makes you feel better. I'm still only like 2 hours in, I bought it at release.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

Okay well that makes more sense.  Honestly, do a lot of missions. Practice your headshots and timing. I don't know what setting you use, but for free aim I personally like setting sensitivity low as I'm able to aim better and not have the crosshair fly around. Use the combat roll and get good at learning how to control your aim/predict where it will pop up on screen. Don't rush and use cover - I know that one sounds obvious, but it's surprising how many people like to just run into the street. Eat snacks to regain health and allow you to down them one more time before they take advantage of your already depleted life.

Don't stress too much about people beating you. You'll get good and more used to it. At the end of the day, f*ck it. It's just a game and if you're not having fun.. take a break or focus on the things you do enjoy. c:

I have messed around with the sensitivity option quite a bit. I can't seem to find the right pace though. and I really don't know if the aiming reticule helps me or makes it worse. I use "complex" but I think it's hurt my accuracy more??? I really don't know. I want someone to see if TAPPING the shoot button increases accuracy. I am sure it does but I bet is also defeats the rate of fire and makes it more difficult to kill the other person first.

molliwopped
  • molliwopped

Local Hero

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:00 AM

Every time when someone gets close to me in the game I start to panic a bit. My heart starts beating and it's just pure anxiety. Also get the feeling that my heart sank into my stomach. I'm kinda worried to why this is happening to me in a videogame. I play a bunch of games. Even survival horrors but they don't make me feel anxious. This game, on the other hand, does.

I probably should be asking this in a Medical site but I want to see if others are like me on here that get very panicky with this game in general.

Sounds like you're just getting to into the game or have an issue playing online with others. So long as you aren't having legit panic attacks (hyperventilation & numbness) or any other serious medical responses to the game, I'd venture to say its just your adrenals kicking in and raising your hear rate and shunting your blood. Monitor yourself and if it gets to be too much stop playing.

Assuming this is a legit post of course

Yes I am serious. I play a ton of online games. Name a game and I play it lol. It's just adrenaline I guess. But it isn't the good type because it's stressing me out. IDK exactly.

Sounds like you spend too much time staring at a screen.

Blasterman4EVER
  • Blasterman4EVER

Judgement Time

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:01 AM

Your posts are funny but I am kinda worrying why this is the only game that does this to me.

You have to let go of everything, honestly. The desire to have perfect stats or a ridiculously high KDR. Let go of the concept of people being reasonable and peaceful.

Just float like you're in a river, try to control what you can, and just let controlling the ills and successes go. I almost never rage, even if someone really gets the best of me. Sometimes, if somebody kills me for no reason and I am interested in doing something else, I just let it go.

Don't forget all of the fun and beauty in the game. If you focus on the idiots around you too much, you will get anxiety. F*ck em.

• Tabula Rasa, nexoric and redfirebird87 like this

gtapluralgerm
  • gtapluralgerm

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:02 AM

Every time when someone gets close to me in the game I start to panic a bit. My heart starts beating and it's just pure anxiety. Also get the feeling that my heart sank into my stomach. I'm kinda worried to why this is happening to me in a videogame. I play a bunch of games. Even survival horrors but they don't make me feel anxious. This game, on the other hand, does.

I probably should be asking this in a Medical site but I want to see if others are like me on here that get very panicky with this game in general.

Quite normal to feel anxious as your body prepares you to react to something. In the games case it would be the other player shooting or blowing you up. You could try reminding yourself not eveyone will atack immediately and not think of everyone as a threat. Might help you relax

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:04 AM

Lol OP are you serious.

Edit: I can't play RE1 remake for more than an hour because I can't handle survival horror games if it makes you feel better. I'm still only like 2 hours in, I bought it at release.

I don't how it's funny . I bet you will get this way when you become elderly and become very paranoid :p

I can play survival horrors. It's strange how I put up with those and actually love them. It's probably because I know what I got myself into. In GTA anything can happen. The guy can be friendly...OR he can be deadly. I am more afraid of the sneaky snipers. Those are the people that definitely phase me.

Jolly SWAGman
  • Jolly SWAGman

Has a jumbuck in his tucker bag

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:06 AM Edited by Jolly SWAGman, 14 November 2013 - 01:08 AM.

I still reckon give malcolmfunktion's advice a go. You said it makes it worse and escalates when you've tried before but in way you kinda need it to escalate so you realise its not too big a deal for stuff to get out of hand and for you to be over powered. Try doing some stuff in free roam your really bad at and after you die 15 times in a row stuffing it up you might not feel as bad when getting killed by others. I sucked at stealing the jet and got killed about 15 times trying. Get killed that many times in a row without achieving anything and you get over minding if you die.  So what if your not much of a Person VS Person player, just remember you got the game for other reasons and shrug it off is someone wants to kill you. They do it more than once without you fighting back and their the one who has the problem not you. Let em act like douches and run away and find something you wanna do.

Feel free to PM if your on XBOX and ill add you if you want someone to play with

• paulmgrath likes this

GTAPhilly1
  • GTAPhilly1

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:09 AM

Actually OP, 

one thing I've noticed in GTA5 is that it's so much easier to play defense than offense. With the radar, it's nearly impossible to charge a player because they see you coming and are usually parked and out of their car waiting for you. 

I would try to play more defense and see how that works for you.Trust me, I don't want to brag but I'm about as good a player as there is on GTA5 and my most difficult battles come from when I decide to go after a certain player and they hold strong with defense (running from me, setting up a trap, and then waiting for me to appear). 

Anyway, don't smoke weed, as one guy said, that increases heart rate, anxiety, and paranoia. 

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:17 AM

Actually OP, 

one thing I've noticed in GTA5 is that it's so much easier to play defense than offense. With the radar, it's nearly impossible to charge a player because they see you coming and are usually parked and out of their car waiting for you. 

I would try to play more defense and see how that works for you.Trust me, I don't want to brag but I'm about as good a player as there is on GTA5 and my most difficult battles come from when I decide to go after a certain player and they hold strong with defense (running from me, setting up a trap, and then waiting for me to appear). 

Anyway, don't smoke weed, as one guy said, that increases heart rate, anxiety, and paranoia. 

Now wait a sec :p

Defense as in using Stickies...??? No way I am getting sent into bad sports lobby again. ha. It'd be 14 days next time. I don't enjoy the game at all in that mode. If I weren't such a bad player, I wouldn't mind. But I am the weakest player in the game so I'm easy to pick on.

(not to mention I rage message a bunch of people who kill me). my fault for giving them reasons to spawn trap me.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:18 AM

One thing you could try to get yourself used to stressful situations is this:

Whenever you come home, pretend someone is chasing you and it is a race against time to run as fast as possible to your door, put the keys in, slam it shut and lock it behind you. After a few weeks of doing this every night you should be used to anxiety and heart rate increase and GTA probably wont do anything to you anymore.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

One thing you could try to get yourself used to stressful situations is this:

Whenever you come home, pretend someone is chasing you and it is a race against time to run as fast as possible to your door, put the keys in, slam it shut and lock it behind you. After a few weeks of doing this every night you should be used to anxiety and heart rate increase and GTA probably wont do anything to you anymore.

I used to do a bunch of crazy stuff with my friends that got our hearts pumping but that's been two years since I've done anything like that. I guess I am just losing my cool :( stupid growing up

GTAPhilly1
  • GTAPhilly1

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:36 AM

Actually OP, 

Defense as in using Stickies...??? No way I am getting sent into bad sports lobby again. ha. It'd be 14 days next time. I don't enjoy the game at all in that mode. If I weren't such a bad player, I wouldn't mind. But I am the weakest player in the game so I'm easy to pick on.

(not to mention I rage message a bunch of people who kill me). my fault for giving them reasons to spawn trap me.

no not stickies. 

using the radar to set up with your gun ready and out, crouched behind your car or a building, when you notice someone is coming after you. I use almost zero explosives. 

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

Actually OP, 

no not stickies. 

using the radar to set up with your gun ready and out, crouched behind your car or a building, when you notice someone is coming after you. I use almost zero explosives. 

I will try to do this other than trying to outdrive the enemy.  I tend to always hit traffic when evading so I will try to find a spot to park my car and take point. I bet the guy will use explosives to kill me but if he explodes my car then that's fine with me.

GTAPhilly1
  • GTAPhilly1

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:42 AM

Actually OP, 

no not stickies. 

I will try to do this other than trying to outdrive the enemy.  I tend to always hit traffic when evading so I will try to find a spot to park my car and take point. I bet the guy will use explosives to kill me but if he explodes my car then that's fine with me.

Sure and just remember there's no pressure to play. If you feel uncomfortable you have to listen to yourself. Go for a walk, read a book, take a break, sometimes, you have to just listen to your gut. It could be a lot of things it's not really just the game GTA, it's probably a lot of things going on in your life, maybe unsettled things or stresser's. Try eating a healthy diet, exercising, and socializing. Those 3 things will do a lot for you. GTA will always be there when you want to play it. 

Omnicr0n
  • Omnicr0n

Magnificent Bastard

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:43 AM Edited by Omnicr0n, 14 November 2013 - 01:44 AM.

Drink a 12 pack before/while playing it does the trick every time.

Try this. Nothing like a little "liquid courage" and the internet to make you feel like a big man! ;)

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:45 AM

Try this. Nothing like a little "liquid courage" and the internet to make you feel like a big man! ;)

It is also good because you don't have to wait until the end of a mission or say goodbye to your friends. Or even exit properly. You just turn off your ps3 and stumble into bed.

• paulmgrath likes this

Seanathon
  • Seanathon

Playa

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:45 AM Edited by Seanathon, 14 November 2013 - 01:52 AM.

I didn't read any other posts but I am definitely going to suggest you put down the console controller and get EXERCISE. You are in dire need of EXERCISE and also maybe REAL HUMAN contact(second one probably isn't extremely important because you are probably a school student and have parents/siblings to talk to/fight with, etc). And no I'm not trying to make you feel like sh*t and put you down or anything but those are two things that will help you.

The people suggesting alcohol are just trying to get you killed, if your heart is racing from a mere video game then I suggest you do not drink alcohol unsupervised.

PS I'm not a doctor or anything(clearly lol) but I have had a situation similar to yours.

Canucks555
  • Canucks555

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:46 AM Edited by Canucks555, 14 November 2013 - 01:55 AM.

FarCry3 gave me headaches after 30 mins of gameplay. Every session. I remember I'd take 2 Tylenol before sessions lol. Agree if any game has a physical negative effect one should be careful as to how they play,

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:46 AM

Actually OP, 

no not stickies. 

Sure and just remember there's no pressure to play. If you feel uncomfortable you have to listen to yourself. Go for a walk, read a book, take a break, sometimes, you have to just listen to your gut. It could be a lot of things it's not really just the game GTA, it's probably a lot of things going on in your life, maybe unsettled things or stresser's. Try eating a healthy diet, exercising, and socializing. Those 3 things will do a lot for you. GTA will always be there when you want to play it. 

Exercising would probably do it. I socialize but not as much as I'd like to. Everyone is going to college and or working. I need to get a job pronto. That'd make me care less about dying in a game DRASTICALLY

mupp3tz
  • mupp3tz

Xbox 360

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

"You muzza f*ckaaas. You think you all cooool and sh*t? Well fu- oh. DAMMIT."

Also OP, if you are on foot and you see a fast car approaching. Get cover at a strategic place by the street, equip shotgun, wait. If you're in a car, I like to get a certain distance away and 180. If they also eventually turn around, you can start shooting because their intentions are probably bad haha

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

If heavy drinking is not for you, you should consider taking up playing Cricket. You could google if there is a league in your area. It promotes calm and focus in all kinds of stressful situations.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

I didn't read any other posts but I am definitely going to suggest you put down the console controller and get EXERCISE. You are in dire need of EXERCISE and also maybe REAL HUMAN contact. And no I'm not trying to make you feel like sh*t and put you down or anything but those are two things that will help you.

Lol I hung out with two of my friend last night. IDK what that says to you but just saying

Blasterman4EVER
  • Blasterman4EVER

Judgement Time

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:50 AM

Weed will definitely give you terrible anxiety, especially while playing a game like this. I tried it once thinking it would be so fun and cool and awesome.

It was miserable.

• Tabula Rasa likes this

Suppa K
  • Suppa K

Only Zuul

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:51 AM

Lol OP are you serious.

I don't how it's funny . I bet you will get this way when you become elderly and become very paranoid :p

I can play survival horrors. It's strange how I put up with those and actually love them. It's probably because I know what I got myself into. In GTA anything can happen. The guy can be friendly...OR he can be deadly. I am more afraid of the sneaky snipers. Those are the people that definitely phase me.

I mean I definitely do get a slight rush in some situations, but honestly I think every player being aggressive by default and so many assholes ruined any thrill. No one is creative about it anymore, people just run up and blow you up in their adder or some other unoriginal ugly sports car. I usually don't find too many enthralling chases or player these days.

I also actually LIKE having a high level bounty on my head, or any that will get players to chase me. It doesn't happen too often. The other day I got on and two guys just started relentlessly chasing me and I just figured they were typical assholes. They weren't letting up and I actually was ready for a nice chase but they shot out my tires and made quick work of me. Turns out I had a bounty on my head, I must have just not noticed the message when I logged in and I swore I checked my map to see if my dot was red but I didn't see anything, which is why I thought they were just f*cking with me.

Being shot by players is the norm, so it's not really scary or thrilling much ever since it's what I expect. 

Seanathon
  • Seanathon

Playa

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:54 AM Edited by Seanathon, 14 November 2013 - 01:57 AM.

I didn't read any other posts but I am definitely going to suggest you put down the console controller and get EXERCISE. You are in dire need of EXERCISE and also maybe REAL HUMAN contact. And no I'm not trying to make you feel like sh*t and put you down or anything but those are two things that will help you.

Lol I hung out with two of my friend last night. IDK what that says to you but just saying

So its a no on the exercise then? Funny how you never read that part, or chose to avoid it.

The exercise is the most important part, I only mentioned the human contact thing because it actually is important but between parents, schoolfriends, etc most people don't have a "deficiency" in human contact.

Omnicr0n
  • Omnicr0n

Magnificent Bastard

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 01:57 AM Edited by Omnicr0n, 14 November 2013 - 01:58 AM.

In all seriousness, OP, I suggest you look into breathing exercises. Once you have trained yourself to breathe deep and clear your mind, you can go from heart pounding panicky feeling to calm enough to perform in a few seconds.

Sounds hippy, but it is well established practice to deal with stress.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:01 AM

In all seriousness, OP, I suggest you look into breathing exercises. Once you have trained yourself to breathe deep and clear your mind, you can go from heart pounding panicky feeling to calm enough to perform in a few seconds.

Sounds hippy, but it is well established practice to deal with stress.

I bet it would work. I should empty my mind and just focus on breathing.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

If cricket or heavy drinking isn't for you, yeah, try some meditation and remember the key is to have absolutely nothing at all on your mind - Not even the thought to think about nothing. Only then will you reach enlightenment and have the ability to suffer random griefing in GTAO without adverse physical side effects in real life.

Relax_and_Get_High
  • Relax_and_Get_High

I smoked with Johnny Hopkins

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:08 AM Edited by Relax_and_Get_High, 14 November 2013 - 02:09 AM.

Finally a thread where I can say, dude go smoke some weed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users