Photo

Anxiety attack while playing online with others. Why and how can I pre

371 replies to this topic
nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:25 AM

How young do you think I am? I probably come across as a 16 y old and I'm not lol. Damn I need some maturing to do.

Actually 16 is exactly what I pegged you as. No joke. And I didn't take your writing style or other posts into account for that (people three times that age can act like they are no more than a single digit in age).

Just figured if you were on your perm, only referenced middle school, and waiting on a job that you were in your middle to late high school years. It's fairly typical of your age group is all.

But seriously? Highly recommend getting a job, even if you have to walk to it. Or mow lawns. You'll thank yourself later when you go for your first real job that you have something worthwhile to put on your resume. Plus you'll meet new people, maybe make some friends too.

Damn. It's just the internet though. I act like a way different person face-face. I am actually 19. Guess I am letting my inner child out on here with my nonsense whining. I only refer to middle school cuz high school was a breeze and I barely look back at it. I had my first job but he had to let me go. Not enough business. I am probably going to try out college though

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:28 AM

Or they could make it like GTA4 where you didn't target pedestrians. lol

Well, they didn't, lol. A cop isn't really a pedestrian though, they only show up when you're committing serious crimes, and even then you can disperse them via Lester. It would also be helpful to you if your goal is to prevent players from killing you, since their aim will move to the cops instead of you, and the cops will kill them if they try to shoot you.

Assisted-aim is definitely 100x easier to get kills than free-aim. Having trouble with it just means you didn't play it long enough to get used to it.

I  finished 100% story with free aim xD . i dunno man. I think it's just screwed up. I think the shots don't register. or only half of the bullets actually come out of the gun or soemthing

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:34 AM

Read this book Hagakure the link is below... it is free... Print it out and such or just read it online.... I read it around your age and it helped me with some sh*t. I also was a martial artist at a young age, try getting into karate or such... any type of martial arts works just as long as you learn how to defend your mind body and spirit. 

http://judoinfo.com/pdf/hagakure.pdf

Also... I used to carry this book around a lot in highschool. IT is called "A Manual for Living" by Epictetus the Roman stoic philosopher.... 

http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/0062511114

very good for controling anxiety and being comfortable with the situation around you. 

Also.. Message me if you want man, I studied years of philosophy.... no psychology "self help" sh*t... or pill popin brain sh*t... real self affirming sh*t. Wisdom and the love of it. 

If I were still in school I would read it but in my own time, I can't sit down and push myself to read anything. I was never a fan of reading :/ sorry.

Psychology is something I'd like to study . Because hell, I think way too much and I need to express myself better because my brain is just turning into mush. I'd like to test myself over it as well. But I think it all comes down to being lazy or not motivated.

Then try out a karate dojo. Tell me what city you live in and I can find you a good school. Martial arts is perhaps the best thing I have done/do to keep a cool mind in the universe. That and study philosophy... now philosophy can be studied 1 of 2 ways... 1 is reading.. which you rejected 2. is discussion. In fact the Greeks would say the ONLY way to study philosophy is through discussion (well the Greek philosophers worth a damn anyways) 

Martial arts is using the body to train itself (the body) and the mind. While philosophy uses the mind to train the mind. Martial arts includes many forms of yoga to... even workout routines can help in this sort of way. 

It is hard to find someone who is philosophically inclined... check the local dishwash guy at your favorite diner. HE is usually pretty philosophically inclined. You could always stroll a university and find the guys who look like professors but also could be bums... they are good too. Your local religious authority is great as well, however they are always bias... no matter the religion. Or hell.. perhaps even the sensei of the dojo... they are as wel usually philosophically inclined. 

Philosophical discussion is needed for the human to be effective at not only every day activity but pwning fools in Gta V... have a steady mind and a confident spirit, it might just carry on to your online experience.

Talking about that would probably be actually interesting if I knew anything about it haha. I have seen many movies where the characters have these discussions and it always caught my attention

ZeroDivision
  • ZeroDivision

Veteran Survivor

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:44 AM

Damn. It's just the internet though. I act like a way different person face-face. I am actually 19. Guess I am letting my inner child out on here with my nonsense whining. I only refer to middle school cuz high school was a breeze and I barely look back at it. I had my first job but he had to let me go. Not enough business. I am probably going to try out college though

Fair enough. College is usually a good bet. I made most of my lasting friends there, plus you're there because you want to be there, and not because you have to be. Has a massive impact on how people act around campus. Save some money though, and do your first two years in community college. It's the same crap classes everywhere those first two years, but it'll be cheaper for you that way. Tuitions aren't going down these days.

Side note: @G_Masta_Phunk: If you're interested in a discussion on philosophy, hit me up sometime. This applies to anybody else interested as well. Wasn't my major in college but business has a lot more morals, ethics, and philosophical approaches than a cursory glance might initially suggest.

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:46 AM

Troll triple posting in troll thread

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

Blunt Smoking Philosopher

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

Everyone knows sh*t about philosophy.... like... asking questions... like.. whether or not your mind has a direct influence on the world around you? and if it does what does that mean and to what extent does it influence the world?

A Cliche one would be "IS the yellow I see the yellow everyone sees" cus like, my yellow could be your red yet we both call it yellow... perhaps an explaination to the reason why some people like their paint jobs while others think it is god awful. 

or like "IS everything pre-designed or is it all in the moment? if it is all in the moment, then is anything 'meant to be' or is it all random? " 

These questions are good because once you an make sense of the world around you, or perhaps understand the extent of which you can understand the world around you, you can then place yourself in the world. Even if you never find the answer to any question you ever asked, you are still questioning it and thus becoming more comfortable with it, braver or more mature sort of speak. 

Anyways.. I will end up rambling.. honestly for me, best way to deal with the anxious stress that comes with the idea of someone else "pwning" you is practicing martial arts... Like... I have had my ass kicked by so many people in the 15 years I have been training... sooo many people.... but i've also kicked some ass.... same sh*t happens in GTA O....

Learn to get your ass kicked... I will again bring about the original quote I left you

• The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead. This is the substance of the way of the samurai.

By meditating on being destoryed, you are essentially preparing yourself for death, shame, getting your ass kicked, getting your ass handed to you... being showed up.. being tossed about like a rag doll to the force of another's will.... let it be the universe or another human.. 

Try meditation, it requires no reading and will calm the mind, prepare it for the universe, the real one and the gta o one... 

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:54 AM

Everyone knows sh*t about philosophy.... like... asking questions... like.. whether or not your mind has a direct influence on the world around you? and if it does what does that mean and to what extent does it influence the world?

A Cliche one would be "IS the yellow I see the yellow everyone sees" cus like, my yellow could be your red yet we both call it yellow... perhaps an explaination to the reason why some people like their paint jobs while others think it is god awful. 

or like "IS everything pre-designed or is it all in the moment? if it is all in the moment, then is anything 'meant to be' or is it all random? " 

These questions are good because once you an make sense of the world around you, or perhaps understand the extent of which you can understand the world around you, you can then place yourself in the world. Even if you never find the answer to any question you ever asked, you are still questioning it and thus becoming more comfortable with it, braver or more mature sort of speak. 

Anyways.. I will end up rambling.. honestly for me, best way to deal with the anxious stress that comes with the idea of someone else "pwning" you is practicing martial arts... Like... I have had my ass kicked by so many people in the 15 years I have been training... sooo many people.... but i've also kicked some ass.... same sh*t happens in GTA O....

Learn to get your ass kicked... I will again bring about the original quote I left you

• The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead. This is the substance of the way of the samurai.

By meditating on being destoryed, you are essentially preparing yourself for death, shame, getting your ass kicked, getting your ass handed to you... being showed up.. being tossed about like a rag doll to the force of another's will.... let it be the universe or another human.. 

Try meditation, it requires no reading and will calm the mind, prepare it for the universe, the real one and the gta o one... 

Did this result from playing shogun 2 by any chance?

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:55 AM

Troll triple posting in troll thread

He is responding to everyone posting to him... without having one gigantic post lol... and ya i double posted :0

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

HAHA Shogun 2 .... TRY SHOGUN 1 my brother! Total war is the best game series to this date... though they blew Rome 2 down the crapshoot... 

Shogun 1 + years of martial arts.. + years of listening to the Wu Tang Clan. 

Blasterman4EVER
  • Blasterman4EVER

Judgement Time

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:58 AM

The samurai philosophy is golden. Spot on. Reminds me of a phase in college. It's true. Fall. Get up. Die. Revive. Again and again. Expect suffering and death.

Where did you quote that samurai passage from?

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:59 AM

The samurai philosophy is golden. Spot on. Reminds me of a phase in college. It's true. Fall. Get up. Die. Revive. Again and again. Expect suffering and death.

Where did you quote that samurai passage from?

He said it is from that book that is quoted on the loading screen in Shogun Total War

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:02 AM Edited by G_Masta_Phunk, 15 November 2013 - 03:03 AM.

haha ya Hagakure.... Shogun 2 used that book and I was very psyched when they did as I have had it since middle school. Read it many times, in many different times of my life.... Shogun 2 also uses quotes from the book of the five rings.... a more tactical take on Samurai philosophy but still really good. 

But Total War is known for their BOSS quotes... I mean who the f*ck even knows who Heraclitus is.. and he is quoted a few times on Rome 1 and 2 .... same with Seneca and Epictetus... 

OHH Also.. Hagakure is used in a movie called "Ghost Dog." A Forest Wittaker movie with music and production from the RZA....

Samurai + Hiphop = badass

Blasterman4EVER
  • Blasterman4EVER

Judgement Time

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:03 AM

The name of the book? Five Rings? Did I miss it?

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:04 AM

Hagakure is the 1st book I mentioned... Book of 5 rings is the 2nd

ZeroDivision
  • ZeroDivision

Veteran Survivor

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:05 AM

haha ya Hagakure.... Shogun 2 used that book and I was very psyched when they did as I have had it since middle school. Read it many times, in many different times of my life.... Shogun 2 also uses quotes from the book of the five rings.... a more tactical take on Samurai philosophy but still really good. 

But Total War is known for their BOSS quotes... I mean who the f*ck even knows who Heraclitus is.. and he is quoted a few times on Rome 1 and 2 .... same with Seneca and Epictetus... 

OHH Also.. Hagakure is used in a movie called "Ghost Dog." A Forest Wittaker movie with music and production from the RZA....

Samurai + Hiphop = badass

Man, I need to go load up Total War again. I don't remember any quotes being in that game, but I attribute that to my bad memory more than anything. I do remember the ninja and geisha assassination movies though. Still awesome.

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:08 AM

Come to think of it... I dont think Shogun 1 had quotes in it.... may have started with Rome 1 Total War. I guess back then it was just Rome Total War 

biggsull
  • biggsull

Foot Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:10 AM Edited by biggsull, 15 November 2013 - 03:13 AM.

Gurubashi arena back in world of warcraft, every so often a chest would spawn on a timer and you needed like 10 of the chest items to get a really sweet thing that put a damage shield on you, for your lower level guys..

Everyone would go there to gear our their lower lvl characters with this trinket thing and they would need maximum level players most of the time to fight off the other groups of people going for the same chest..

People would start lining up 10 15 minutes before, just sitting around this circle pit arena.. watching the clock.. you couldnt fight anyone unless they were in the actual pit and the chest spawns in the middle of it... the chest took a few seconds to open and you couldnt really do it while a fight was going on.. people would run back after dying and sometimes it would last until the chest just disappeared.

Some of the most awesome PVP ever happened in those scenarios.. I used to get so much anxiety right before a big fight.. or in some of the raids later on in the games timeline where you had to finish all the bosses as a group without wiping once on hardmode.. I actually gave myself an ulcer on that sh*t.

Holy sh*t this threads been derailed after reading the above posts.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:13 AM

Gurubashi arena back in world of warcraft, every so often a chest would spawn on a timer and you needed like 10 of the chest items to get a really sweet thing that put a damage shield on you, for your lower level guys..

Everyone would go there to gear our their lower lvl characters with this trinket thing and they would need maximum level players most of the time to fight off the other groups of people going for the same chest..

People would start lining up 10 15 minutes before, just sitting around this circle pit arena.. watching the clock.. you couldnt fight anyone unless they were in the actual pit and the chest spawns in the middle of it... the chest took a few seconds to open and you couldnt really do it while a fight was going on.. people would run back after dying and sometimes it would last until the chest just disappeared.

Some of the most awesome PVP ever happened in those scenarios.. I used to get so much anxiety right before a big fight.. or in some of the raids later on in the games timeline where you had to finish all the bosses as a group without wiping once on hardmode.. I actually gave myself an ulcer on that sh*t.

Haha I can only imagine something like that! Reminds me of Hunger Games when they are supposed to run in the middle for the equipment.

Blasterman4EVER
  • Blasterman4EVER

Judgement Time

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:17 AM

Thanks... I studied Akira Kurosawa's films for a couple years and have been fascinated with samurai ever since.

Anonymous420_1.ps
  • Anonymous420_1.ps

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:03 AM

This only happened to me when I was hooked on Spice or smoke a whole lotta dank. Mostly happens in war games. Just gotta put tue controller doen and try again.. of your a SOBER , go to a doctor you dope. Serioou next you could be the warning lable for all games.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:12 AM

This only happened to me when I was hooked on Spice or smoke a whole lotta dank. Mostly happens in war games. Just gotta put tue controller doen and try again.. of your a SOBER , go to a doctor you dope. Serioou next you could be the warning lable for all games.

lmao

Relax_and_Get_High
  • Relax_and_Get_High

I smoked with Johnny Hopkins

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 06:43 AM

Mods come lock

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

simple fight or flight response. it's triggered by being immersed in the game. 

further reading if you're interested: Short Quip: http://www.escapistm...-Effects-Linger

Decent article: http://www.rockpaper...os-behind-them/

Been answered dozens o times but here's one more. :p

vince91
  • vince91

the pube in your orange juice

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

put down the controller and wank.

you can get it harder than ever before when your blood pressure starts rising it feels so good man

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:23 PM

The best advice I could give you is to accept your in game mortality and acknowledge in advance that when it happens you're not going to get upset. Doing this will allow you to devise a strategy for survival since death won't mean much to you anymore. Yes you'll lose a bit of cash, it's not the end of the world.

If you'd like a bit of practice I suggest playing dark souls. You'll die a lot.

BlaineCountyHooker
  • BlaineCountyHooker

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

What the f*ck? Youre 19 and still dont have youre liscence? Im sorry but thats pathetic and your real problem is you seem isolated from people. DO get some friends who are like you, theres alot of them out there haha you said no to friends, girlfriends, said maybe to school? man up, in one year you will be an adult without a liscence, not planning on going to college, probably still living with your parents getting anxiety over GTAO. You need to face the real world and know what real stress and anxiety is. Set your priorities straight. Set down the controller, go get your liscence, make some friends, and be an adult. Time to give up gaming for a little unless its a little on the weekends or something. This is your problem here. Cant go on living life with mommy and daddy gaming day in and day out without work when youre 20 next year

tymaster50
  • tymaster50

blank

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

A+ topic right here. 

Vespucci Hipster
  • Vespucci Hipster

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

I had the same thing happen to me at your age. I had countless games under my belt but when Ultima Online first came out... The thought of interacting with others sittin in their homes just like me gave me a chill up my spine.

The stakes of UO were fierce. Death meant losing everything even the shirt off your back. So every player encounter could mean crushing defeat in seconds.

In those moments my chest would tighten and my back would cramp to the point of hurting. My heart was going a mile-a-minute.

Why I think this happens: It's adrenaline pumping into you. On a subconcious level you realize: you are now pitting yourself against another person. Their mind vs. you. That very thought is exhillarating in itself and as this "battle of minds" continues it's natural for the brain to become so involved that it gives you the boost of adrenalyne.

How I pushed through it: relax your body and take a deep breath and continue to breath. Say to youself, "it's just a game, have fun and see where this battle will go". Smile and reaalize that it is in fact just a game and that you'll have countless more battles like these so enjoy and study them to be a better gamer.

How to get over your fear: be a troll for a little bit. Just run around in free-roam and kill everyone you see. Have fun and if the heart racing starts up, breath and just have fun. I want you to kill others and see that they're just players like you. Out to have fun and explore GTAO, just like you. U are all equalls here in the sessions (barring hackers of course)

BlaineCountyHooker
  • BlaineCountyHooker

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

I had the same thing happen to me at your age. I had countless games under my belt but when Ultima Online first came out... The thought of interacting with others sittin in their homes just like me gave me a chill up my spine.

The stakes of UO were fierce. Death meant losing everything even the shirt off your back. So every player encounter could mean crushing defeat in seconds.

In those moments my chest would tighten and my back would cramp to the point of hurting. My heart was going a mile-a-minute.

Why I think this happens: It's adrenaline pumping into you. On a subconcious level you realize: you are now pitting yourself against another person. Their mind vs. you. That very thought is exhillarating in itself and as this "battle of minds" continues it's natural for the brain to become so involved that it gives you the boost of adrenalyne.

How I pushed through it: relax your body and take a deep breath and continue to breath. Say to youself, "it's just a game, have fun and see where this battle will go". Smile and reaalize that it is in fact just a game and that you'll have countless more battles like these so enjoy and study them to be a better gamer.

How to get over your fear: be a troll for a little bit. Just run around in free-roam and kill everyone you see. Have fun and if the heart racing starts up, breath and just have fun. I want you to kill others and see that they're just players like you. Out to have fun and explore GTAO, just like you. U are all equalls here in the sessions (barring hackers of course)

Jesus people get outside some more

teh_g
  • teh_g

Time for a brew..

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

Has anyone seen ChromeAdder recently?  I'm getting a little worried about him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users