Photo

Anxiety attack while playing online with others. Why and how can I pre

381 replies to this topic
nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

Every time when someone gets close to me in the game I start to panic a bit. My heart starts beating and it's just pure anxiety. Also get the feeling that my heart sank into my stomach. I'm kinda worried to why this is happening to me in a videogame. I play a bunch of games. Even survival horrors but they don't make me feel anxious. This game, on the other hand, does.

I probably should be asking this in a Medical site but I want to see if others are like me on here that get very panicky with this game in general.

Is it just free roam or everything?  If its just free roam then two ways I would deal with it depending upon my mood...probably neither are that good.

1 - Just go into crew/friend sessions and take a little rest from it.

2 - With your biggest gun at the ready actively seek out other players until you get used to constant contact.

If its all aspects of the game then perhaps take a few days break from the game entirely and see how you feel after that.

I don't have any friends that play this game besides one who never plays and my crew is inactive. I get very very panicky when I drive away from someone on foot. I have been sniped out of my car and helicopter so many times that it has taken a toll on me. It just gives me a rush but not the good kind.

In that case I would do something other than GTA for a little while or just do closed friend sessions (you'll be the only one in the session).

So I assume when you do things like races all is okay?  It's just the free roam side of things?

Just free roam. If I do deathmatches and races etc, I don't feel a thing. I am just doing what you are supposed to do ya know

heybud
  • heybud

Peon

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

I guess im different but to me this is the most exciting and fun part of the game. I like getting chased more than chasing other people. I have the most fun playing online when I have a bounty on me, i dont get why some people hide in their apartments.

irishsm0ke
  • irishsm0ke

Outlaw

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

To be honest, I don't think it has anything to do with the game type/mode. If you're getting anxiety over any aspect of a video game, it sounds like you're just an anxious person in general. Instead of fighting that feeling, embrace it. Use it as an advantage/strength.

Raylion
  • Raylion

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:58 PM

Every time when someone gets close to me in the game I start to panic a bit. My heart starts beating and it's just pure anxiety. Also get the feeling that my heart sank into my stomach. I'm kinda worried to why this is happening to me in a videogame. I play a bunch of games. Even survival horrors but they don't make me feel anxious. This game, on the other hand, does.

I probably should be asking this in a Medical site but I want to see if others are like me on here that get very panicky with this game in general.

Is it just free roam or everything?  If its just free roam then two ways I would deal with it depending upon my mood...probably neither are that good.

2 - With your biggest gun at the ready actively seek out other players until you get used to constant contact.

If its all aspects of the game then perhaps take a few days break from the game entirely and see how you feel after that.

I don't have any friends that play this game besides one who never plays and my crew is inactive. I get very very panicky when I drive away from someone on foot. I have been sniped out of my car and helicopter so many times that it has taken a toll on me. It just gives me a rush but not the good kind.

In that case I would do something other than GTA for a little while or just do closed friend sessions (you'll be the only one in the session).

So I assume when you do things like races all is okay?  It's just the free roam side of things?

Just free roam. If I do deathmatches and races etc, I don't feel a thing. I am just doing what you are supposed to do ya know

In that case do closed friend sessions/invite only sessions for free roam.  There will be no one else there and you can do things at your leisure.

On occasion you may find yourself in a public session but just quickly go into single player mode and then select a new closed session again and you're sorted.

Hope things get better for you!

• nexoric likes this

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

I guess im different but to me this is the most exciting and fun part of the game. I like getting chased more than chasing other people. I have the most fun playing online when I have a bounty on me, i dont get why some people hide in their apartments.

I don't hide when I get a bounty. When I get a bounty, I know people will come after me so I just take it. It's just when out of nowhere someone is chasing me. It triggers a negative emotion and makes enjoy the game less.

AzraelX
  • AzraelX

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

I have the same thing happen when I play Ecco the Dolphin.

• Jolly Swagman likes this

kipakolonyasi
  • kipakolonyasi

Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

then play and get good at it. i get into a lot of dogfight in freeroam and i do well. 

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

In that case do closed friend sessions/invite only sessions for free roam.  There will be no one else there and you can do things at your leisure.

On occasion you may find yourself in a public session but just quickly go into single player mode and then select a new closed session again and you're sorted.

Hope things get better for you!

Thanks man/woman :p

It may sound kinda lame but when I play closed sessions, I feel isolated. I like playing public because I don't feel alone. So it's a win/lose in both type of sessions.

malcolmfunktion
  • malcolmfunktion

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

Honestly mate, my advice to you...next time your playing make it your business to go out and get killed by another player, even multiple times. Just walk out of your apartment and run up to other players and let them shoot you, when you respawn, let them shoot you again, then once you realise that its not that big if a deal respawn the next time in passive mode and approach the same Rambo wannabe with both your hands giving him the finger...then just stroll off...next time, put up a fight...and if you fail, so what, just remember it doesn't even matter.

Also, I only know 2 other people online but I add and have been added by alot just from playing...its nice to have people who've added you on PSN backing you up and sh*t. Just add some people you've met online and then at least you can be (mostly) certain that these people will not try and give you any grief...
  • Bluesun62 likes this

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:07 AM

Honestly mate, my advice to you...next time your playing make it your business to go out and get killed by another player, even multiple times. Just walk out of your apartment and run up to other players and let them shoot you, when you respawn, let them shoot you again, then once you realise that its not that big if a deal respawn the next time in passive mode and approach the same Rambo wannabe with both your hands giving him the finger...then just stroll off...next time, put up a fight...and if you fail, so what, just remember it doesn't even matter.

Also, I only know 2 other people online but I add and have been added by alot just from playing...its nice to have people who've added you on PSN backing you up and sh*t. Just add some people you've met online and then at least you can be (mostly) certain that these people will not try and give you any grief...

Ahhhh no offense but this advice is sh*te :S

I have done this a few times and it only escalated. The guy ran me over while in Passive mode and I had to change free roams just because of it, too.

I try making friends on the game but seriously it's so damn odd. Every person that actually helps me out in free roam either becomes a backstabber or a total lame-ass who doesn't want to communicate.

EliteGamer
  • EliteGamer

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:08 AM

Sounds like you're getting anxious due to uncertainty. When a player closes in on you you don't know whether they're hostile or friendly and you don't like getting caught by surprise.

Easiest ways to eliminate that uncertatiny

a) Play private sessions with only your friends

b) Shoot everyone

Khaos89
  • Khaos89

Has a small willy

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

It's happened to me before when I first began playing, assuming it's just adrenaline.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

It's happened to me before when I first began playing, assuming it's just adrenaline.

http://cogsci.stacke...-person-anxious

I looked at this and anxiety fits to what I am feeling. I actually am fearing of dying in this game. I have felt adrenaline before with some friends and I remember laughing after it. But I am stressing after I die in this game. Hope that clears up the confusion a bit.

gTaOXIC
  • gTaOXIC

Shock Troop

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

I actually kinda know what you mean. Every now and then I'll get that "heart pumping anxious kinda thing" just because of the type of game this is. I mean you honestly can't trust anyone while your playing. For one, if you don't pay attention to your radar when you leave your apt. you could either get sprayed with bullets waiting for that damn cut scene or get sniped from someone camping on the roof. And that's just within the first minute or so of playing not to mention the calamity that ensues when your just cruisin' around town. But hey, it's gta.. That's what makes it fun.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:21 AM Edited by nexoric, 14 November 2013 - 12:22 AM.

I actually kinda know what you mean. Every now and then I'll get that "heart pumping anxious kinda thing" just because of the type of game this is. I mean you honestly can't trust anyone while your playing. For one, if you don't pay attention to your radar when you leave your apt. you could either get sprayed with bullets waiting for that damn cut scene or get sniped from someone camping on the roof. And that's just within the first minute or so of playing not to mention the calamity that ensues when your just cruisin' around town. But hey, it's gta.. That's what makes it fun.

Oh yeah.I always press down on the DPAD twice to see whose outside my apartment. But of course, when you leave the garage, it takes what? 20-30 seconds, and someone has already gotten there in time to kill you. IDK why people do it but that kinda of stuff makes me jump a little. Totally unexpected and really not necessary haha. I always spam the "1 on 1" button when I die and it grinds my gears when they decline it.

malcolmfunktion
  • malcolmfunktion

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

I have done this a few times and it only escalated. The guy ran me over while in Passive mode and I had to change free roams just because of it, too.

I try making friends on the game but seriously it's so damn odd. Every person that actually helps me out in free roam either becomes a backstabber or a total lame-ass who doesn't want to communicate.

Sorry mate, I don't mean to be giving sh*t advice. The only reason I suggested it was because its more or less what I did to just be comfortable enough with whatever happened online without getting too overwhelmed. I'm speaking from experience also, I suffered for years with panic disorder and although I'm over it now, I still get hyper sensitive sometimes to situations that are exciting or stressful, meaning that I'll get more overwhelmed than the average person which triggers more adrenaline or anxiety than what's "normal". In a game that I've found to have many griefers that are unavoidable at times, the only solution I see is to get to the stage when it doesn't bother you, the only way to get to that stage is by letting it happen...or at least not giving a sh*t if it does happen...ive jumped to other sessions myself because things got our of hand.. I just think to myself "f*ck this sh*t in out of here, see ya". And although my heart used to race uncomfortably when I started this game because of other players, now I'm used to it and I don't get stressed or anxious anymore.

Feel free to add me on PSN, I hope you come to terms and get over these uncomfortable feelings and enjoy the game. :)

teh_g
  • teh_g

Time for a brew..

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:27 AM Edited by teh_g, 14 November 2013 - 12:28 AM.

Just think about your breathing if you feel your heart rate go up significantly.

In through nose 5secs, out through mouth 5secs.

I have had it in hectic raids in wow, poker, and occasionally in GTA.

and the advice about going out and getting shot up, it's good advice, go nuts, push your boundaries in-game.

• malcolmfunktion likes this

Tritium
  • Tritium

Special Agent

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:33 AM

I used to be fine with people around me, until after every mission I did, the other players would just kill me instantly.
Now I'm pretty fu***ng paranoid and keep in passive mode and away from the city.

It's such a mean thing to do, kill someone for no reason.

Why can't we all just get along?
  • nexoric likes this

jerrodh7244
  • jerrodh7244

The Big Boss

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:34 AM

Drink a 12 pack before/while playing it does the trick every time.

Waste of time drink liquor.

• mastershake616 likes this

Tritium
  • Tritium

Special Agent

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:35 AM Edited by Tritium, 14 November 2013 - 12:35 AM.

In through the nose, out through those wrinkly lips.

Go home, Fabien!

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:35 AM

Sorry mate, I don't mean to be giving sh*t advice. The only reason I suggested it was because its more or less what I did to just be comfortable enough with whatever happened online without getting too overwhelmed. I'm speaking from experience also, I suffered for years with panic disorder and although I'm over it now, I still get hyper sensitive sometimes to situations that are exciting or stressful, meaning that I'll get more overwhelmed than the average person which triggers more adrenaline or anxiety than what's "normal". In a game that I've found to have many griefers that are unavoidable at times, the only solution I see is to get to the stage when it doesn't bother you, the only way to get to that stage is by letting it happen...or at least not giving a sh*t if it does happen...ive jumped to other sessions myself because things got our of hand.. I just think to myself "f*ck this sh*t in out of here, see ya". And although my heart used to race uncomfortably when I started this game because of other players, now I'm used to it and I don't get stressed or anxious anymore.

Feel free to add me on PSN, I hope you come to terms and get over these uncomfortable feelings and enjoy the game. :)

I really do need to stop caring so much about dying in this game. I feel like it's inevitable though because of how much I lose in gunfights/PVP.  What's strange is I played GTA4 online ever since it came out and I still play it off and on to this day. But since I am very good at that game, I never have to worry. Crazy how tables turn in a new installment in the series.

I don't have PS3 anymore, if I did, I would. Thanks BTW!

mupp3tz
  • mupp3tz

Xbox 360

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:39 AM

Well, really you gotta figure out why it is you feel so tense? Could be anything from getting stressed over your KD, finding it unfair, not feeling like you're good enough to fight back so you'd rather avoid it at all costs, etc?

I don't really know what to suggest. I'm usually one who laughs when I get killed and is game to go on a playful spree against them or just make my way to a mission or race if not.

Embrace the chaos. Just have fun with it and don't take it too seriously. A couple of the people I enjoy hanging out with were made from initially violent introductions.

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:47 AM Edited by nexoric, 14 November 2013 - 12:49 AM.

Well, really you gotta figure out why it is you feel so tense? Could be anything from getting stressed over your KD, finding it unfair, not feeling like you're good enough to fight back so you'd rather avoid it at all costs, etc?

I don't really know what to suggest. I'm usually one who laughs when I get killed and is game to go on a playful spree against them or just make my way to a mission or race if not.

Embrace the chaos. Just have fun with it and don't take it too seriously. A couple of the people I enjoy hanging out with were made from initially violent introductions.

If I had two or more friends to play with in this game, I would not have this issue at all. I feel like a lonewolf except...more like a lonesheep ha. If I could actually get some damn kills without using the buzzard then I'd be quite confident and positive while playing. (Free Aim BTW). I stopped caring about my KD not too long ago. But yes, I stress out because I know I will lose a confrontation with another person. I panic and my breathing pattern gets longer, not quicker. It really gets to me and makes me feel like sh*t when I do die. I expect to die but I still feel the negative emotion and don't know why. You'd think I'd shrug it off because I predicted it but... still hits me in the chest a bit. (That's where I feel it the most)

AxisRAHL85
  • AxisRAHL85

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

Same thing happens go me sometimes and I'm always smoking up. It's something about PvP for me. Had to stop doing arenas in WoW because of it. Just remember to breath and take frequent breaks
  • nexoric likes this

mastershake616
  • mastershake616

The Wolf of BAWSAQ

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

Smoking weed will increase your heart rate, paranoia, and level of anxiety. 

My advice? Be an aggressor. Go to them instead of letting them come to you. Eventually, it won't be a big deal at all. 

• malcolmfunktion likes this

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

Smoking weed will increase your heart rate, paranoia, and level of anxiety. 

My advice? Be an aggressor. Go to them instead of letting them come to you. Eventually, it won't be a big deal at all. 

I am trying really hard to not come up with excuses but it's the god awful truth. I am an aggressor in GTA4 but in this game I just suck so bad that I die when I try hard to kill someone. It's like karma is after me even though I am going at the people who killed me first. Bad luck or maybe I try TOO hard for revenge

mupp3tz
  • mupp3tz

Xbox 360

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

Okay well that makes more sense.  Honestly, do a lot of missions. Practice your headshots and timing. I don't know what setting you use, but for free aim I personally like setting sensitivity low as I'm able to aim better and not have the crosshair fly around. Use the combat roll and get good at learning how to control your aim/predict where it will pop up on screen. Don't rush and use cover - I know that one sounds obvious, but it's surprising how many people like to just run into the street. Eat snacks to regain health and allow you to down them one more time before they take advantage of your already depleted life.

Don't stress too much about people beating you. You'll get good and more used to it. At the end of the day, f*ck it. It's just a game and if you're not having fun.. take a break or focus on the things you do enjoy. c:

• nexoric likes this

malcolmfunktion
  • malcolmfunktion

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

A couple of the people I enjoy hanging out with were made from initially violent introductions.

Haha, yeah, same here. I was in a 1 on 1 war with another lad stranded in the mountains, we were both using sniper rifles and it was at night. It was literally, he died, I died, and repeat. It was alot of fun because when we could - we would turn our blips off and re-position, and I got a fright everytime he shot me with a head shot, it was really tense. Eventually he added me as a friend and we both walked out of the mountain peacefully and he gave me a lift into the city. Lol
  • mupp3tz likes this

redfirebird87
  • redfirebird87

Perpetually Pedantic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

Online interactions are unpredictable.

Don't ever play EVE.

This.. dear god this!

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:56 AM

A couple of the people I enjoy hanging out with were made from initially violent introductions.

Haha, yeah, same here. I was in a 1 on 1 war with another lad stranded in the mountains, we were both using sniper rifles and it was at night. It was literally, he died, I died, and repeat. It was alot of fun because when we could - we would turn our blips off and re-position, and I got a fright everytime he shot me with a head shot, it was really tense. Eventually he added me as a friend and we both walked out of the mountain peacefully and he gave me a lift into the city. Lol

"can't beat em, join em" .

I have done this in different games. *cough* cod

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users