» «
Photo

Anxiety attack while playing online with others. Why and how can I pre

381 replies to this topic
nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:32 PM Edited by nexoric, 15 November 2013 - 12:55 AM.

Every time when someone gets close to me in the game I start to panic a bit. My heart starts beating and it's just pure anxiety. Also get the feeling that my heart sank into my stomach. I'm kinda worried to why this is happening to me in a videogame. I play a bunch of games. Even survival horrors but they don't make me feel anxious. This game, on the other hand, does.

*Anxiety/fear of dying in this game because I am feel very helpless.

EDIT: has nothing to do with socializing like some people are thinking.

I probably should be asking this in a Medical site but I want to see if others are like me on here that get very panicky with this game in general.

• Rick Daddy, Caligastia and xoC18H21NO3xo like this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

Drink a 12 pack before/while playing it does the trick every time.

• darkwar854, kstowe, pitan666 and 7 others like this

DirtyT
  • DirtyT

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

Online interactions are unpredictable.

Don't ever play EVE.
  • redfirebird87 and JackWren like this

withonion
  • withonion

Playa

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

Stop playing this game then. Are you incapable of making a decision?

• BatFerYou likes this

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

TROLLING DOES NOT EXIST IF YOU ARE STRONG.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

Rub one out, smoke a bowl and go into passive mode and stand on a ledge should do it.

• Hamsterbaffle, ParanoiaX, stonedpimpso and 16 others like this

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

We Heistin'

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

Every time when someone gets close to me in the game I start to panic a bit. My heart starts beating and it's just pure anxiety. Also get the feeling that my heart sank into my stomach. I'm kinda worried to why this is happening to me in a videogame. I play a bunch of games. Even survival horrors but they don't make me feel anxious. This game, on the other hand, does.

I probably should be asking this in a Medical site but I want to see if others are like me on here that get very panicky with this game in general.

You have a gun, man. Be prepared to use it.

I don't get panicky. I immediately assume that the chucklef*ck is going to try to kill me. That way, if he doesn't, i'm pleasantly surprised.

Or, he's dead.

• chili27, UtterTehSEAL, Shrreder2017 and 1 other like this

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

Your posts are funny but I am kinda worrying why this is the only game that does this to me.

Bluesun62
  • Bluesun62

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Yup. I spend more time watching white dots and wondering when I'm gonna get killed than watching the traffic I'm driving in....lol

• saintsrow, manutd36, undrtow218 and 4 others like this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Perhaps it's due to having to actually be social.. or the fear of the unknown.

gunslinger88
  • gunslinger88

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:38 PM

Online interactions are unpredictable.

Don't ever play EVE.

not blue shoot

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Why would you even care if someone jumps you or kills you in freemode? I could see if it was back when the medical fees were there, but there is absolutely no consequence to dying now.

withonion
  • withonion

Playa

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Your posts are funny but I am kinda worrying why this is the only game that does this to me.

Joking aside, i think your putting too much of yourself and your own personal fears of failure into the character and the possibility of getting a cap in yo ass.

• malcolmfunktion, nexoric, abfirstr8 and 1 other like this

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:40 PM Edited by nexoric, 13 November 2013 - 11:41 PM.

You have a gun, man. Be prepared to use it.

I don't get panicky. I immediately assume that the chucklef*ck is going to try to kill me. That way, if he doesn't, i'm pleasantly surprised.

Or, he's dead.

I wish I could think like that but I suck at this game. So much. Everytime I get in a gun battle with someone I stress out and just lose because I know I suck at it. I know I will lose. I tried staying positive but that only crushed my hope ha. 

Stop playing this game then. Are you incapable of making a decision?

I paid a lot for this game (150). It can be fun free roaming. and I actually get a thrill when people chase me when I have a bounty on my head. but when I want to do my own thing, I just get a little worried from the unexpected

• saintsrow likes this

dreadluxx
  • dreadluxx

дрэдлоксъ

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

Seriously, its a game so chill.. smoke some weed as mentioned maybe to calm your nerve

Oh &

Dont pull ya gun unless ya gonna use it..

Dont let someone like me beat cha to it..

malcolmfunktion
  • malcolmfunktion

Gangsta

• Members
  • None
  • Best Topic 2014 [Things you didn't know about GTAO until now]

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:41 PM

Its just knowing that its actually someone and not just a computer. My adrenaline goes up playing this game also but I don't find it uncomfortable, I find it more fun. The more used to encounters with other people I have the less adrenaline I get...so my advice to you would be to just not shy away from it...millions of people online, all doing the same sh*t...

kotaco
  • kotaco

Clan mXm

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

Sounds like you're just getting to into the game or have an issue playing online with others. So long as you aren't having legit panic attacks (hyperventilation & numbness) or any other serious medical responses to the game, I'd venture to say its just your adrenals kicking in and raising your hear rate and shunting your blood. Monitor yourself and if it gets to be too much stop playing.

Assuming this is a legit post of course

• nexoric likes this

Raylion
  • Raylion

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

Is it just free roam or everything?  If its just free roam then two ways I would deal with it depending upon my mood...probably neither are that good.

1 - Just go into crew/friend sessions and take a little rest from it.

2 - With your biggest gun at the ready actively seek out other players until you get used to constant contact.

If its all aspects of the game then perhaps take a few days break from the game entirely and see how you feel after that.

DirtyT
  • DirtyT

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:43 PM

If you're getting an adrenaline rush from your tv set, you need to get some fresh air.

Take a walk, man.
  • darkwar854 and nexoric like this

RowanSane
  • RowanSane

SURF crew Commissioner, Xbox 360

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

Hell son, I get that playing my second shot on the 8th if the scores are close - especially if the wind is allowing a chance to make the green in two.

But seriously, how serious are we talking? A little nervous adrenaline rush when approached by a potential enemy is nothing to worry about. Have you played many online games (PvP not co-op)? I used to get nervous before big boss fights in WoW, especially if tanking or healing so it can happen co-op too...

a20characterusername
  • a20characterusername

\_(ツ)_/

• Members
  • None

TRUST NO ONE, FEEL NOTHING

nothing at all ;__;

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Sounds like you're just getting to into the game or have an issue playing online with others. So long as you aren't having legit panic attacks (hyperventilation & numbness) or any other serious medical responses to the game, I'd venture to say its just your adrenals kicking in and raising your hear rate and shunting your blood. Monitor yourself and if it gets to be too much stop playing.

Yes I am serious. I play a ton of online games. Name a game and I play it lol. It's just adrenaline I guess. But it isn't the good type because it's stressing me out. IDK exactly.

GTAPhilly1
  • GTAPhilly1

Mack Pimp

• Members

Honestly they are triggered by bigger things in your life. I suffered for a few months very badly when I quit smoking pot.

Try to tell yourself you are fine and it's nothing serious. Honestly, take a break from GTA it's not worth it. It could be the fact that it's a stressful game and some people are affected differently by games. I know there was a time when playin FPS would stress me out but now in my life I enjoy them somewhat. 

The best thing you can do is to play a different game. 

• nexoric likes this

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:48 PM

Is it just free roam or everything?  If its just free roam then two ways I would deal with it depending upon my mood...probably neither are that good.

2 - With your biggest gun at the ready actively seek out other players until you get used to constant contact.

If its all aspects of the game then perhaps take a few days break from the game entirely and see how you feel after that.

I don't have any friends that play this game besides one who never plays and my crew is inactive. I get very very panicky when I drive away from someone on foot. I have been sniped out of my car and helicopter so many times that it has taken a toll on me. It just gives me a rush but not the good kind.

kotaco
  • kotaco

Clan mXm

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:48 PM Edited by kotaco, 13 November 2013 - 11:49 PM.

Yes I am serious. I play a ton of online games. Name a game and I play it lol. It's just adrenaline I guess. But it isn't the good type because it's stressing me out. IDK exactly.

Well as a medic I can tell you a medical site or doctors advice would be to quit playing them if it's having a negative effects on you. There's really only one type of adrenaline, the release is phsyiologically the same as well as the effects its just a matter of how you respond to the release. Focus on your breathing when this happens, in through your nose out through your mouth in a rhythmic, slow, manner and that may help you out.

Also try and find a good crew to play with to take your mind off of the concepts of losing/dying.

• ParanoiaX likes this

cwo-reynolds
  • cwo-reynolds

Thug

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

Lots and lots of Valium will do it for you. You won't give a f*ck about ANYTHING if you take enough.

kotaco
  • kotaco

Clan mXm

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

Lots and lots of Valium will do it for you. You won't give a f*ck about ANYTHING if you take enough.

Yeah and stop breathing as well.

• Giovas-570-4 and PandaLambpaws like this

Raylion
  • Raylion

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:51 PM

I don't have any friends that play this game besides one who never plays and my crew is inactive. I get very very panicky when I drive away from someone on foot. I have been sniped out of my car and helicopter so many times that it has taken a toll on me. It just gives me a rush but not the good kind.

In that case I would do something other than GTA for a little while or just do closed friend sessions (you'll be the only one in the session).

So I assume when you do things like races all is okay?  It's just the free roam side of things?

G_Masta_Phunk
  • G_Masta_Phunk

Blunt Smoking Philosopher

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

Riding up on another player with the intent to kill them or the other happening to you is a badass experience which creates some rise in blood pressure and sh*t. Its WHY people play online other than just single player... the unpredictability of other people... Like its waaaayyy more intense going after that red dot knowing its another living breathing human thinking "I've got to get the f*ck out of here!!" and you are closing in on him thinking "Almost got you." 

Then.. once you show up... sh*t happens... and anything can come as a result... you could be blown to smithereens or you could professionally take his head off with a well placed shot. 

And yo... dont listen to these fools about smokin a bowl... Weed is good dont get me wrong, I love the sticky icky but if you want to really chill out... hit some of the hash oil... big Dabs all the way 

DSCN0524.jpg

• Ylerion and GrandReaping like this

nexoric
  • nexoric

Homie

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

Well as a medic I can tell you a medical site or doctors advice would be to quit playing them if it's having a negative effects on you. There's really only one type of adrenaline, the release is phsyiologically the same as well as the effects its just a matter of how you respond to the release. Focus on your breathing when this happens, in through your nose out through your mouth in a rhythmic, slow, manner and that may help you out.

Also try and find a good crew to play with to take your mind off of the concepts of losing/dying.

I have noticed that when I get out of range of people I remember to breathe out :/ it's a sight of relief. Every time.

I wish this didn't happen to me because I have enjoyed every GTA game but this is just hitting me hard

whitebic
  • whitebic

lol

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

take a bong rip.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users