Quantcast

» «
Photo

What do you think the best game of the current gen was?

52 replies to this topic
Woody112
  • Woody112

Greedy Jew

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

The best game? GTA 5. But my most liked game, Max Payne 3. People say it sucks because it's played in Brazil, Max is bald and there's no comic-style cutscenes. But f*ck me it was good. I still watch it on YT because everything is just so epic in it. From the gunplay to the small details to the badass actions from Max, and the soundtrack. Sweet mother of music. It's darn epic. Oh, and before you start saying that the game sucked, this is MY OPINION.

No doubt. That soundtrack made me a massive HEALTH fan.
Anyways, Red Dead is indubitably the gotg.

Forzum
  • Forzum

Fossy

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Metal Gear Solid 4 & Red Dead Redemption. 

Alchemist
  • Alchemist

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States
  • The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

I'm tied up between RDR, GTA V, and GTA IV.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

This was a great Generation for gaming. Assassins Creed 2 is well up there for me, agree with OP on that. And my choice might piss some people off but my opinion is my own.

My favorite game of the generation goes too...Modern Warfare 3. Yep, that's right. I loved the story mode, i loved the survival mode, i loved the spec ops, and i LOVED the multiplayer. I completed that game to within an inch of it's life. Ended up with like 1500 gamerscore on it, which is the most I've earned for any game.

It isn't just the game i loved it's the memories of it. Ranking up when it first came out, wanting to hit 10th prestige so badly, playing spec ops with my mates, trying to hit as many waves as i could on survival. The game just brings back so many fond and fun memories for me. And that's exactly what a favorite game should do.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

Red Dead Redemption, hands down.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:16 PM Edited by WinterEdit, 18 November 2013 - 03:32 PM.

Now that I have time to explain my choice, I'll now explain it and tell my top 5 games of this generation and why. I made a similar list as a comment to uh... Metacritic? Golden Joystick forums? I don't remember. But anyway, let's... get on with it.

I also haven't played some fan-favorite games such as Red Dead Redemption, so I could not put it on the list. I guess that if I had played it, it would've been on the list.

This post will be a huge one; hopefully paragraphs make it easier to read. :)

1. The Last of Us

I've always been a fan of story-based games. Of course, games like GTA are fun when you want to do nothing but blow up cars and assault random civilians on the street. But my, not only this generation's, but all-time favorite game is The Last of Us. I have not played some classics people have almost made religions for such as The Legend of Zelda or Half-Life 1 or 2. But currently, The Last of Us is the best one of them all.

What makes it the best for me, then?

Pros:

+ Immersive and great story

+ Great characters

+ Excellent graphics (for old hardware)

+ Marvelous voice acting

+ Ellie ^^

+ Season changes

+ Music

+ David... antagonist of the year

Cons:

- No real side missions (although you won't even think about such when playing the game)

- No moral decisions...

Score: 10/10 (Stellar)

2. GTA V

Hugely anticipated game ever since it's reveal back in 2011. The most budget ever used to a game to date. Was it worth it? For me... it was. GTA V was not a disappointment, even though some people are a bit annoyed on how it's not a real life super simulator. It's the best open-world game I have ever played. Although GTA V's story isn't as good as The Last of Us's one, it's still a great one.

Pros:

+ Good story

+ Fluent character switches

+ Relatable characters

+ Better open world feeling than other games for me

+ Graphics are great for an open-world game

+ GTA: Online...

Cons:

- ... which has many problems, depending on how you view them (LSC glitches for example)

- Hunting has no reason

- Omniscient cops

- Still wishing for the "No Wanted" cheat from GTA: SA. Oh well, maybe in GTA VI.

Score: 9,5/10 (Stellar)

3. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

The first game I got which made me more story-centered. Even though people claim it's "bad", I do not share that opinion... but I have not played Uncharted 2, which is likely why I can't list it here... anyway. UC3 is good enough for me, anyway. If/when I get to play UC2 some day, I might change my opinion.

Pros:

+ Nathan Drake

+ Historical facts... maybe (?)

+ Impressive levels

+ Graphics

+ Voice acting

+ Desert level specifically

Cons:

- A bit challenging controls

- Puzzles that are for Mensa members... although I'm probably just stupid. Could be both.

- Some places required knowing where the enemies would come... otherwise you'd die quicker in a blink of an eye.

Score: 9,0/10 (Exquisite)

4. BioShock 2

This is also one story-centered game. It was the first game ever to make me shed manly tears. Rapture was one cool-looking place, and it's probably my all-time favorite setting that hasn't gotten inspirations from real life (e.g. GTA takes inspirations from real life cities, for example). 

Pros:

+ Big Daddy and his drill... wait, that sounds wrong.

+ Rapture

+ Very unsettling and interesting city

+ Plasmids

+ Story

Cons:

- A bit sticky controls, at least on PS3

- Fights can sometimes be a breeze, but sometimes you're basically against enemies that have their deadliness level boosted to 9001.

Score: 9,0/10 (Exquisite)

5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Second open-world game on this list... anyway. Skyrim was probably one of the most anticipated fantasy games when it was revealed. Having the game on both PS3 and PC, I can say the game is pretty good. Story is good, but it's not the main reason I play the game whenever I do; I play it to kill dragons like a badass. Oh and I eat their souls and cast them into damnation in the process. Dragonborn FTW.

Pros:

+ Fantasy genre

+ Shouts (FUS RO DAH!)

+ (PC version) So many mods...

+ Open-world plus the hundreds of in-door places to go

+ Who doesn't love dragons?

Cons:

- The amount of bugs in this game is too damn high!

- Inevitable boredom at some point... happens on most games though.

- Console controls are sticky on this game too

Score: 9,0/10 (Exquisite)

Honorary mention for Minecraft:

Although not really a part of the current console generation (started on PC's and then moved to Xbox 360), I figured I would still mention it here. It's open world in it's purest, giving you the ability to destroy the entire Minecraft world block by block, or to build gigantic cathedrals to honor the name of Notch. It's basically the definition of open-world. Plus there are mods to make it even greater than it already is.

It would not be on the list however, but perhaps the 6th on it... mainly because only your imagination is the limit in it, plus there are updates from time to time to give more things to do whatever you want.

Alright, that's about it. It became quite long, but let's not let it ruin our fun. I tried to explain why I like these games and why I placed them so the best I could. 

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

Dude, it's his opinion leave him alone.

dude, it's a public forum.

I can comment on whatever I want :pp

I'm not sure what exactly the OP considers "the current gen," but I would have to vote for either Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, or Assassin's Creed.

pretty much a tie.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

I think it was Assassins Creed 2 it is one of the best games ever, it's better that all others (except 4 i haven't played it yet so I can;t judge)

If not the best, it's one of them. The awesome level of detail, soundtrack and storyline make it have a magic atmosphere.

The gameplay was great but then they began milking the series and make everything easier and more automatic...

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

For me i would say that the GOTG is between AC2, Fallout 3, RDR, GTAIV and GTAV. I think that even though they are all great games that RDR just beats them all.

1. Red Dead Redemption

2. GTA V

3. GTA IV

4. Assasins Creed 2

5. Fallout 3

Opiated_Escape
  • Opiated_Escape

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

GTA IV, Skyrim, Yakuza 4, Mass Effect 2.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 18 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'm not sure what exactly the OP considers "the current gen," but I would have to vote for either Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, or Assassin's Creed.

pretty much a tie.

I assume the most common definition of current-gen is the time when games for current generation of consoles have been published (2005/2006-2013)

Flight180Victm
  • Flight180Victm

Give me the power, I beg of you!

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

pretty much a tie.

Then at least be respectful of his opinion.

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:12 PM Edited by Erebos, 18 November 2013 - 08:13 PM.

He can talk sh*t all he wants, had the most fun on CoD4 so that's my game of the gen.

I enjoy online FPS games so that's why I chose, of course I have other favorite games, but as I said I had the most FUN on CoD4.
  • Flight180Victm likes this

Flight180Victm
  • Flight180Victm

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

He can talk sh*t all he wants, had the most fun on CoD4 so that's my game of the gen.

I enjoy online FPS games so that's why I chose, of course I have other favorite games, but as I said I had the most FUN on CoD4.

Yeah, he's always been an asshole on here. I've never liked him. He's always been judgmental of others...  :sarcasm:

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Yeah, he's always been an asshole on here. I've never liked him. He's always been judgmental of others...  :sarcasm:

cry about it :lol:

also, grow a spine. it's the internet....

Flight180Victm
  • Flight180Victm

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:10 PM Edited by Flight180Victm, 18 November 2013 - 09:12 PM.

cry about it :lol:

also, grow a spine. it's the internet....

See what I mean?  :sigh:

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

You Sir, Do Not Praise The Sun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

For me Trials HD and Trials Evolution changed my perspective on platform games of today.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

pretty much a tie.

Im talking about the 360, ps3 and probably the wii I just didn't know how to word the title since it was before the ps4 came out and the new xbox comes out in a few days.

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

That's the way it is on forums, the veteran members are always assholes. Nothing I haven't seen before.

Flight180Victm
  • Flight180Victm

• Members

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:11 PM

That's the way it is on forums, the veteran members are always assholes. Nothing I haven't seen before.

Well I plan on staying here for a long ass time and not turning into an asshole. ;)

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

Well I plan on staying here for a long ass time and not turning into an asshole. ;)

if you guys want to circle jerk, do it through PM.

no one cares that you hate me :sigh: get a life.

Im talking about the 360, ps3 and probably the wii I just didn't know how to word the title since it was before the ps4 came out and the new xbox comes out in a few days.

ok I gotcha'.

when people talk about "generations" in gaming, it's usually referring to consoles within the same tier (like you said) with PS3 and 360 being the current generation, PS2 and Xbox being the previous. because you can't really count Xbox1 or PS4 just yet. but sometimes "generations" also go by years or decades; that way you can fit all games (even PC exclusive games, rare as they are) into the same category.

like you might consider a generation to be ANY game released from 1995 to 2000.

or any game from 2000 to 2005. which would make the current generation any game from 2005 to 2010. the next generation will be any game released between 2010 and 2015.

Flight180Victm
  • Flight180Victm

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

It's public forum. We can comment all we want! :D

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

Part-time spy, full-time maniac

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

I wouldn't worry about you turning into an asshole. it's impossible :pp (kidding)

Personally for me it is GTA V, loved every minute, never had 90 hours in one playthrough with sh*t left to do before, not even fallout new vegas (without the dlc) gave me that time. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users