Photo

Vice City vs GTA V

30 replies to this topic
TheDust
  • TheDust

Peon

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

I'm not trying start an argument (a nice debate would be cool though) I'm just interested in people's opinions.

For those who's favorite GTA is Vice City (or anything other than V is what I'm getting at) what makes it better than V for you?

In my personal opinion I don't belive the game rivals V's but I think the atmosphere was a better in some of the previous GTA's.

What makes it better for you?

(No arguments, insults, or being a douchebag. A heated debate is fine, as long as you constructively present your opinions and don't berate someone else)

drizzle1
  • drizzle1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

GTA V is really bad, as in so bad every single other GTA game's atmosphere beats it.

TheDust
  • TheDust

Peon

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

GTA V is really bad, as in so bad every single other GTA game's atmosphere beats it.

Why do you think that? You don't really bring up any points.

drizzle1
  • drizzle1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

This article says it all here: http://smartknowledg...eo-game-history

TheDust
  • TheDust

Peon

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

Alright, the article does bring up a few good points. I agree with the map, I wish it was in islands and had a little more variation, it does feel sort of flat to me.

jpalmer2004
  • jpalmer2004

Stop being an idiot!

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

I want to see Vice city with upgraded graphics.......The city would look beautiful..

• TheDust, Sakurai Aoi, NewReno and 1 other like this

Reshe
  • Reshe

Warchief of the True Regiment

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:15 PM

Article does admittedly bring up a few good points, but the person who wrote it is over-exaggerating at many more points.

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Vice City was overrated. That map was so sh*t, even back in the 3D era. Though the story is the best in the series next to GTA IV.

Jay9928
  • Jay9928

Bitch Ass

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

I love V, but a couple things I love about VC is that 80s vibe (80s kid here), and the MUSIC stations

kasheku
  • kasheku

Somewhere in LS

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

Imagine a box set GTA. All the words in one game. You want to go to LS from VC? no prob, throw in disc 3. 

I wouldnt mind switching discs if I could jump to all of the other GTA worlds. 

• Cakelover21 likes this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:25 PM Edited by Official General, 13 November 2013 - 06:28 PM.

Okay let me put in my two pence, since Vice City is my favorite GTA.

Setting and Location : Vice City just looked amazing for it's time. It was a near-perfect re-creation of 1980s Miami, it captured the city's glamorous, sunny, tropical and Hispanic vibe and feel so brilliantly. GTA V's own graphical rendition of Los Santos looks just stunning, even more so at night, the city really does feel like LA. The weather effects are surreal, I just love the sunset and sunrise. LS could have been bigger, but overall Rockstar did a great job. Draw

Game Length : Vice City's main story took me a good few months to finish and complete, and in addition to this, there were so many different side missions and activities in the form of asset-building, freelance, odd jobs etc - so I found myself playing the game for a very long time the first around. GTA V in contrast, had a very short main story and the side missions, although similar to VC,were very few and far between. I finished V in less than a month, and not much was left to do, and I have not played it since. Vice City wins.

Gameplay : Both Vice City and GTA V contain many examples of classical, high-octane, and explosively fun GTA action within elements of their gameplay. But Vice City had a better structure and style to it's gameplay - it's rags-to-riches theme offered such a rich variety of fun and interesting gameplay elements both in and out of the storyline. In VC you played the roles of a drug-dealer, a hitman, mob boss, an extortionist, a businessman, a wealthy tycoon, a real estate mogul and back to being a straight-up violent and murderous thug. The city of VC itself was just great to explore in free roam, random gang war shootouts erupted in the streets, there were SO many accessible interiors for it's size. GTA V had some brilliant gameplay moments in the main story indeed, especially with the heists. But V's missions were very limited in it's variety from the second half of the game onward, especially outside of the story missions in V, and the small amount of individual side missions of the protagonists were not that interesting or anything special. Also, asset-building in V is just not as fun as it is in VC, the asset side missions take too long to be available to the player. Once again like GTA IV, V had no random shoot-outs between gangs in the streets, the element of danger was missing from the hood. Vice City wins

Main Storyline: Vice City's story had all the classic ingredients to make a great GTA story. Big drug deal gone wrong, working for Hispanic drug cartels, street gang wars between the Cubans and Haitians, taking over the city's rackets and building an empire, internal Mafia feud, betrayed by your closest crime associate, I could go on. VC's story just made you never to want to put the controller down. GTA V in contrast had some great moments in the story in very patchy form - Madrazo's periodic involvement, and conflict with Michael, the Balla/Families gang stuff early on, Trevor's beef with the Lost MC and redneck gangs - all that was very good. However most of V's storyline was swamped by that boring and uninteresting corrupt FIB agent/cop stuff. Sometimes, the plot felt like something out of Splinter Cell or COD, which really put me off that part of the story. The Merryweather stuff was kinda far-fetched too. So in short V was mostly about heists and being a lapdog for bad cops and government agents. This was not classic GTA material for a GTA story. Vice City wins.....by a large margin too

Protagonists, Antagonists  : Vice City produced the most all-round, pound-for-pound best GTA protagonist in the entire series - Tommy Vercetti. Tommy was everything I could want in a GTA protagonist. A prison-hardened, Mafioso with a cold, murderous instinct, totally unforgiving and fearless, but yet ambitious, highly driven and motivated, and very loyal. GTA V had Michael the charismatic, but dull middle-aged guy (and a self-centered snitch), Franklin was straight gangsta, but he whined and moaned a lot and Trevor was just annoyingly crazy and wild, plus dirty and despicable. VC had much better antagonists in Ricardo Diaz and Sonny Forelli - one a paranoid, homicidal drug baron and another a ruthless and greedy Mafia boss. I'd rather have them over some stupid polo-shirt wearing corrupt top cop and a corny rich guy that sounds like a news anchorman. Vice City wins.

Overall Vice City WINS

• FirstLadyofGTA likes this

Clone501st
  • Clone501st

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Yeah, every (big) GTA game since Vice city has lacked a maffia main character.  I really hoped that Micheal would be a maffia don or something. I love playing with a maffia main character.

Bizdaddy
  • Bizdaddy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

I love V, but a couple things I love about VC is that 80s vibe (80s kid here), and the MUSIC stations

This for Vice City plus I f*cking loved Love Fist. San Andreas is actually my favorite of the series, so many things to do and I really liked CJ, plus the scope of the map, they say V is bigger but it sure doesn't feel like it. I miss all the extra stuff you could do from getting fat or buff to gambling and getting your traits to 100% really seemed to make a difference.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:13 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 13 November 2013 - 05:20 PM.

That article is a just a complete whinefest that is simply a matter of opinion rather than fact.

I have to say though, Vice City probably still remains my favorite.

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:16 PM

I like GTA V (not for the story though) but GTA Vice city was my first and probably still my favorite.  It's too complicated to go through the reasons but nostalgia for me is very powerful and I felt that in abundance when playing Vice City.  Scarface was one of my favorite films and the little details borrowed from that film and shows like Miami Vice put into the game were fun to submerge yourself in.  :)

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

Ironic thing is, Vice City is the shortest GTA to date, the game only has 51 Story Missions (inc. Property Missions that are required to progress into finale).

But at the same time, I don't think anyone's done a calculation of GTAV's missions when taking out the quick pick up missions (e.g. Buying Masks, Buying jumpsuits, finding cars, etc, are counted as whole missions.)

• G.S.T likes this

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:27 PM Edited by FirstLadyofGTA, 13 November 2013 - 05:32 PM.

Setting and Location : Vice City just looked amazing for it's time. It was a near-perfect re-creation of 1980s Miami, it captured the city's glamorous, sunny, tropical and Hispanic vibe and feel so brilliantly. GTA V's own graphical rendition of Los Santos looks just stunning, even more so at night, the city really does feel like LA. The weather effects are surreal, I just love the sunset and sunrise. LS could have been bigger, but overall Rockstar did a great job. Draw

Game Length : Vice City's main story took me a good few months to finish and complete, and in addition to this, there were so many different side missions and activities in the form of asset-building, freelance, odd jobs etc - so I found myself playing the game for a very long time the first around. GTA V in contrast, had a very short main story and the side missions, although similar to VC,were very few and far between. I finished V in less than a month, and not much was left to do, and I have not played it since. Vice City wins.

Gameplay : Both Vice City and GTA V contain many examples of classical, high-octane, and explosively fun GTA action within elements of their gameplay. But Vice City had a better structure and style to it's gameplay - it's rags-to-riches theme offered such a rich variety of fun and interesting gameplay elements both in and out of the storyline. In VC you played the roles of a drug-dealer, a hitman, mob boss, an extortionist, a businessman, a wealthy tycoon, a real estate mogul and back to being a straight-up violent and murderous thug. The city of VC itself was just great to explore in free roam, random gang war shootouts erupted in the streets, there were SO many accessible interiors for it's size. GTA V had some brilliant gameplay moments in the main story indeed, especially with the heists. But V's missions were very limited in it's variety from the second half of the game onward, especially outside of the story missions in V, and the small amount of individual side missions of the protagonists were not that interesting or anything special. Also, asset-building in V is just not as fun as it is in VC, the asset side missions take too long to be available to the player. Vice City wins

Main Storyline: Vice City's story had all the classic ingredients to make a great GTA story. Big drug deal gone wrong, working for Hispanic drug cartels, street gang wars between the Cubans and Haitians, taking over the city's rackets and building an empire, internal Mafia feud, betrayed by your closest crime associate, I could go on. VC's story just made you never to want to put the controller down. GTA V in contrast had some great moments in the story in very patchy form - Madrazo's periodic involvement, and conflict with Michael, the Balla/Families gang stuff early on, Trevor's beef with the Lost MC and redneck gangs - all that was very good. However most of V's storyline was swamped by that boring and uninteresting corrupt FIB agent/cop stuff. Sometimes, the plot felt like something out of Splinter Cell or COD, which really put me off that part of the story. The Merryweather stuff was kinda far-fetched too. So in short V was mostly about heists and being a lapdog for bad cops and government agents. This was not classic GTA material for a GTA story. Vice City wins.....by a large margin too

Protagonists, Antagonists  : Vice City produced the most all-round, pound-for-pound best GTA protagonist in the entire series - Tommy Vercetti. Tommy was everything I could want in a GTA protagonist. A prison-hardened, Mafioso with a cold, murderous instinct, totally unforgiving and fearless, but yet ambitious, highly driven and motivated, and very loyal. GTA V had Michael the charismatic, but dull middle-aged guy (and a self-centered snitch), Franklin was straight gangsta, but he whined and moaned a lot and Trevor was just annoyingly crazy and wild, plus dirty and despicable. VC had much better antagonists in Ricardo Diaz and Sonny Forelli - one a paranoid, homicidal drug baron and another a ruthless and greedy Mafia boss. I'd rather have them over some stupid polo-shirt wearing corrupt top cop and a corny rich guy that sounds like a news anchorman. Vice City wins.

Overall Vice City WINS

Yay...I love you even more now lol. Thanks for your post and I'm duplicating it!  I write too much in real life and sometimes I get lazy here, especially if I've already written essays on other threads. 

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Since 1776

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Ironic thing is, Vice City is the shortest GTA to date, the game only has 51 Story Missions (inc. Property Missions that are required to progress into finale).

But at the same time, I don't think anyone's done a calculation of GTAV's missions when taking out the quick pick up missions (e.g. Buying Masks, Buying jumpsuits, finding cars, etc, are counted as whole missions.)

Dan Houser said in an interview that Vice City was a rushed game. They were feeling confident and happy with the success of III, and so they just got to work immediately on Vice City.

I think the tone of the game reflects the mood that Rockstar North was in at the time. The game is bright, vivid, and colorful. He also said that after the hot coffee thing with SA, the mood of the studio was kind of depressing, and so GTA IV reflected that. I agree with him. GTA IV was gray and dark. The story wasn't exactly a happy one either.

If I could find this interview I would post it here, but I don't even know what type into to Google to start. Someone posted the same interview on here like 2-3 weeks ago.

Lil ski
  • Lil ski

Hawai'i 5-O

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

whineken_zps0d1c1422.jpg

Here you go, writter. I got you a beer...

seriously, I feel the guy on some of his points but damn dude, they were only MINOR issues for me. Those points really doesn't break the game. V is still an awesome game. Even though I like Vice City and the nostalgia I had with it, I would only go back to that game to replay the story, NOT the gameplay. V has my vote.

damn it seems like V is sounding a lot like when Obama got elected. People had high hopes and was "promised" this or that like it was the second coming of Jesus Christ or something. but then when they finally get it, they are severely disappointed like they just got a creation from Satan himself!

• G.S.T likes this

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

Although my favourite GTA is san andreas I think if I played it now I wouldn't have as much fun as I would if I was playing gtav.

rovert
  • rovert

Los Santos Hobo

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

Game OST: VC

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

V actually reminds me of VC in some extent. Particularly the paradise-type feel around the beach. 

I'd never consider Vice City better than V because VC didn't have a lot to do, though it felt like it at the time. 

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

Gameplay : Both Vice City and GTA V contain many examples of classical, high-octane, and explosively fun GTA action within elements of their gameplay. But Vice City had a better structure and style to it's gameplay - it's rags-to-riches theme offered such a rich variety of fun and interesting gameplay elements both in and out of the storyline. In VC you played the roles of a drug-dealer, a hitman, mob boss, an extortionist, a businessman, a wealthy tycoon, a real estate mogul and back to being a straight-up violent and murderous thug. The city of VC itself was just great to explore in free roam, random gang war shootouts erupted in the streets, there were SO many accessible interiors for it's size. GTA V had some brilliant gameplay moments in the main story indeed, especially with the heists. But V's missions were very limited in it's variety from the second half of the game onward, especially outside of the story missions in V, and the small amount of individual side missions of the protagonists were not that interesting or anything special. Also, asset-building in V is just not as fun as it is in VC, the asset side missions take too long to be available to the player. Vice City wins

Overall Vice City WINS

Yay...I love you even more now lol. Thanks for your post and I'm duplicating it!  I write too much in real life and sometimes I get lazy here, especially if I've already written essays on other threads. 

Woow, I'm flattered thanks !! Lol 

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Not only VC is waaay shorter than V (even with the mask/clothes missions) but Sonny is probably the sh*ttiest antagonist, even worse than V's. The guy barely appeared during the whole story.

I do agree that the story in VC is better. Vance being a traitor was really shocking.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:36 PM Edited by Official General, 13 November 2013 - 06:43 PM.

Not only VC is waaay shorter than V (even with the mask/clothes missions) but Sonny is probably the sh*ttiest antagonist, even worse than V's. The guy barely appeared during the whole story.

I do agree that the story in VC is better. Vance being a traitor was really shocking.

At the time, VC just did not feel short to me, it took me three months to complete. This was back in 2002, so maybe I just got better at gaming since then, I don't know. And VC had much more side stuff that was fun and interesting to do than GTA V and to some extent GTA IV, so that's probably why I found myself playing it for so long. 

I disagree, I liked Sonny Forelli as antagonist, because even though you rarely saw him, those chilling and threatening phone calls he made to Tommy once in a while, just always reminded me that something real bad was gonna happen one day, but I just did not know when. The mystery and suspense of that really had me on edge. When Sonny's Mafia guys finally come to VC to try an kill Tommy and take over his business and rackets, it suddenly hit me that Sonny was scheming some major plot to take me down all this time !! I was like, "what the f**k, you snake !!". And the final bloody showdown with Sonny, his crew and Lance at the mansion was the icing on the cake. 

Sonny sh*ts all over V's antagonists. But at least you recognize that VC had a better story.

haythem09
  • haythem09

Honorbru Dispray

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

Compare your favorite nostalgia-based GTA to GTA V today!

ajrunke
  • ajrunke

I'm on a boat!

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Compare your favorite nostalgia-based GTA to GTA V today!

What an invalid argument. Many of us are able to separate our opinions from the nostalgic memory of aged GTA games. I can claim with certainty that Vice City captured an atmosphere incredibly poignantly which has yet to be matched on any level. This has nothing to do with nostalgia. It has everything to do with the music, memorable characters, relevant side missions and a beautiful recreation of an 80's era Miami.

GTA V's characters were uninspired. The side missions were adequate enough, but lacked any sense of relevance to the LS world. The only relevant side missions to the world of LS are the movie missions which involved Michael and the aging actor. It was very brief.  Other than that, the missions were quite generic.

In VC, we were doing coke runs on go fast boats, chumming around with porn stars, getting our drink on with rock stars, dabbling in crony construction deals and tusseling with mob bosses. All missions I just listed off the top of my  fit the Miami Vice era so perfectly.

Bizdaddy
  • Bizdaddy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

Actually have played San Andreas "recently" and it was still just as fun.

gnad
  • gnad

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

Too much posts in the thread already

I won't read everything but IMO Vice City would be a better remake than Los Santos. WITH the GTAV engine.

Mad_Maxine
  • Mad_Maxine

ʇnɥʍ

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Thr problem I had with VC (other than the scary obsession some people have with wanting another 80s GTA) is even tho the story was great, after it was done.. there was just nothing for me, Other than just what.. driving around?.

Nice story, short lifespan overall, SA kept me enteratined the longest of any GTA game, V might beat that, who knows.

• I SHADOWFOX I and Bizdaddy like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users