» «
Photo

A beginners guide to racing in GTA V Online

15 replies to this topic
trickeh2k
  • trickeh2k

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:52 PM Edited by trickeh2k, 13 November 2013 - 01:35 PM.

Hi,

I felt like I could make a ”beginners guide to racing” in GTAO since at this point, being at lvl 126 and getting there by doing races for about 75% of my time spent, I’ve learned a thing or two and have become a decent racer. This my personal thoughts and ideas and not to be considered a 100% fact, but rather a guidance. Hopefully, most of it is true anyways ;)

Ok, first thing you should start focusing on is obviously the cars. You’re given a free car from the start (well, you have to steal it – but hey, it’s free to install with a tracker). I would suggest that you get a sedan or coupe if possible. Don’t bother with sports since you will get the Annis Eleghy RH8 for free if you’ve signed up to Rockstar Social club page.

Since sports and Super cars are the most popular car genres, I suggest you aim for a cheap garage for starters (there’s one just next to the mod shop under the bridge for about $20k or so) and once you got that, surf into legendary motorsports website through the phone and claim your free car.

At the start, you’re gonna have a bit of a trouble gaining enough cash and winning races (most likely). Don’t forget to get the easy cash by selling a car each 24hr in-game hours (24hrs = 48 minutes IRL). Preferably you want high cash cars, the ones that are somewhat easy to find like the Übermacht Oracle and one of the Ballers (ÜO looks like a BMW 6-series and Baller like a Landrover). Oracle goes for 8k and Baller for 9k.

To have the best opportunities in getting cash and RP, try to aim for a lobby consisting out of 4 people. Any less and you won’t be able to hit maximum cash rewards and with more, races tend to get too messy. Anything above 4 players will not give you any more cash and the amount of extra RP is very minimal. Best way to level up and get cash is of course to play in a private lobby with three friends where you take turns in winning, however I’ve always found “farming” like this too tedious and boring but it’s up to you to decide on how you wish to approach it.

Most lobbies tend to use the catch up feature which means that upgraded cars have less impact. You should also try and spend your money wisely and upgrade likewise. First should be the suspension, it’s the cheapest upgrade and it will give your car more stability through the corners. Secondly the transmission which will improve both traction and acceleration. After that engine upgrade and once that is done go for the turbo. Armor is next and lastly you want to upgrade the brakes. Brakes are important, but the difference between the stock braking and maximum upgrade is not that huge, so money wise it’s not that great in terms of ROI (return of investment). If you find yourself crashing a bit too much, you should probably aim to get the armor upgrade earlier since it will reduce the chance of your steering getting messed up after crashing.

Once you’ve gotten your garage you could either chose to keep your current first free car and start upgrading it later or get a bike. I would go for the bike since you can get one of the best bikes (Akuma) for $12k which is very cheap. Upgrades for the bike isn’t that expensive either and upgraded bikes makes a bigger impact than cars with catch up on IMO.

Once you’ve gotten your garage and the Eleghy RH8 I suggest you invest most of your money into this car. It’s one of the best cars in the sport class apart from it’s horrible brakes, but it makes up for it with having the best traction out of all sports cars.

Now, one thing you need to learn is how the car physics works in this game. Unlike previous games the e-brake (handbrake) is totally useless. I suggest to keep away from that almost all of the time. Hitting corners is what kinda throws you off a bit if you compare the handling towards other racing games. Anything that will send your car bouncing will make it very easy to spin out if you accelerate and turn at the same time. In order to avoid this as much as possible, brake more and brake earlier! I wise man once said “You need to brake in order to faster”.

If you notice that you have too much speed entering or exiting a corner, the best way to regain traction is to tap the acceleration while turning to avoid spinning out. If you’re going in even faster than that, tap brake and acceleration one at a time quickly until your car regains traction and start to turn properly. Another devious and tricky thing to learn is jumps and elevation, if your car is flying in the air and doesn’t look like it’s gonna land straight – don’t try to turn and accelerate! Let go of the gas, let the car land first and then steer in the direction to get it straight. Once it lands and you’ve started turning and notice that the car responds, then it’s time to floor it again!

In terms of tracks, chose to one’s you enjoy the most! I would suggest staying away from Criminal Records, not only is it just a circle, it also has the lowest payout out of all tracks and since there’s no challenge doing it, it will in 95% just be a ram fest where one guy pulls the winning raffle ticket and claims the first place. If you want to go for something easy, I suggest Down the drain instead. It’s IMO a super boring track with not much challenge, but people seem to like it anyway.

The start of a race is in most races very important. Depending on whether or not catch up is on it of course makes less or more difference, but if catch up is on, starting out in the front is often not very advantageous, rather the opposite. People will catch up too you within seconds and in most cases try to ram you off the road. I suggest you go for a regular start instead of a turbo start in these races. Stay behind the first two or three cars, wait for them to make the mistake in the first corners and then try to cruise by instead. Usually less messy and much better tactic wise since it’ll hopefully gain you some places and keep your car intact.

In case you’ve somehow missed the tip in the loading screens, turbo start is done by hitting the acceleration as soon as the green GO! appears, if you didn’t get the turbo start it means you hit the gas too early. You have about 0,5s (if not more) from when the go symbol appears to hit the gas, so rather press late than early.

These are the starter tips I have for you. Rest is up for you to practice to learn each and every car in its tier. My suggested cars for the tiers I’ve raced a bit are:

Motorcycles: Akuma
Compacts: Bilista

Sedans: Tailgater
Muscle: Gauntlet
Coupes: Dewbauchee Exemplar (
LegendaryMotorsports)
Sports: Eleghy RH8 or Feltzer (LegendaryMotorsports)

Super: Entity XF (LegendaryMotorsports)

http://www.ign.com/wikis/gta-5/Vehicles
Here's a good list with stats numbers on the cars. Now, please take noticed that these numbers are not 100% accurate. I tend to look for a car with good acceleration and handling, but handling is more or less the cars ability to turn at higher speed, traction isn't measured.

Good luck out there and if there’s anything you’re curious about or so – feel free to ask! Also, if there's anyone else who feels they have something to contribute - don't hesitate to add your tips and tricks.

• senormidget likes this

senormidget
  • senormidget

Basic Bitch

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

Nice guide.

Additional tips:

- Watch out for cardboard boxes on the ground, for some reason in the world of GTA a cardboard box can flip your car or send you spinning into a wall

- Drifting might look cool but all the time you are drifting you are losing speed, it is much better to brake earlier/harder and maintain maximum traction throughout the corner, all four wheels will be firmly on the tarmac making it much better to accelerate out of corners

- Watch your racing line, always go from the outside of a corner to the inside

- Try and slipstream whenever possible especially on the final straight

- On races with traffic, weave in and out of other cars to prevent others from slipstreaming behind you

• trickeh2k likes this

trickeh2k
  • trickeh2k

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

Nice guide.

Additional tips:

- Watch out for cardboard boxes on the ground, for some reason in the world of GTA a cardboard box can flip your car or send you spinning into a wall

- Drifting might look cool but all the time you are drifting you are losing speed, it is much better to brake earlier/harder and maintain maximum traction throughout the corner, all four wheels will be firmly on the tarmac making it much better to accelerate out of corners

- Watch your racing line, always go from the outside of a corner to the inside

- Try and slipstream whenever possible especially on the final straight

- On races with traffic, weave in and out of other cars to prevent others from slipstreaming behind you

Yes, that's one of the reasons I don't do Down the drain, apart from that it's utterly boring :) Good point about drifting, yes it slows you down quite much. This is also why you should stay away from e-braking since it puts your car into a dead stop.

In general, that's how you'd want a racing line for most turns, but not all of them. Also, keeping a racing line might be the worst idea ever depending on how the other racers behave and how far ahead or behind you are. Cutting a corner sharp is preffered, but only if you're sure you can do it without being smashed in from the side. If you're close, rather do a wider turn to avoid collision.

I wouldn't necessary recommend someone slipstreaming all the time. Since the slipstream is so insanely overpowered, it can cause you to enter a corner at a much higher speed than you intended and cause you to spin out, crash etc. Slipstreaming is best suited for straights when you can pass someone more safely.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

I play both sides of the fence

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

I just wish when I'm searching for races it quits throwing me into vehicle class "Super" all the time. I would say it atleast happens 75% of the time. I'm so sick of racing super class, I will never purchase a "super" class car now. I hate them that much. Just Sports, muscle, and motorcycle class from here on out. So pretty much, it takes me 10-15 minutes to find a race thats not super class most of the time. Just getting old. If your wondering, hosting a match sucks on here. I never can get any guys to join matches. One player here, one player there, if just one player joins, the timer starts and before you know it, its just you and one other player racing. It won't let you wait it out to find more players.

trickeh2k
  • trickeh2k

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

I just wish when I'm searching for races it quits throwing me into vehicle class "Super" all the time. I would say it atleast happens 75% of the time. I'm so sick of racing super class, I will never purchase a "super" class car now. I hate them that much. Just Sports, muscle, and motorcycle class from here on out. So pretty much, it takes me 10-15 minutes to find a race thats not super class most of the time. Just getting old. If your wondering, hosting a match sucks on here. I never can get any guys to join matches. One player here, one player there, if just one player joins, the timer starts and before you know it, its just you and one other player racing. It won't let you wait it out to find more players.

Pro tip bro, join an open crew with lots of members. I'm in one called Apex Stalkers which is all about racing and clean racing as well. We're getting near the limit for the first one (300 members). There's rarely any problems with getting people to join for me anymore when I'm hosting a race.

grantos3000
  • grantos3000

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 11:13 PM

You can also press Y (on Xbox360) when searching for other players to extend the search time a bit more.  You can only do this once though per race/mission etc - you do need to to be the host for this though.

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:43 PM

Okay, I'm not so dissapointed now that I know racing will still have decent payouts if there are more laps after patch 1.06. I was sweating for a second. LOL. Now, just to figure out the Rep. Will it be like it was before the patch? I've read a bunch of posts that say they changed it, but they are so back and forth I'm not sure. My next question is how is Rep. earned during races after the patch 1.06? I'm so confused anyway, it seems like when I raced I was getting Rep. all the time but now after the patch, will that change?

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

found my answer. Rep. is like money, more laps, more money.

trickeh2k
  • trickeh2k

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:35 PM

If it's like before, rep is also maxed out if traffic is set to on, customs on and catch up off.

Venth
  • Venth

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:17 AM

Here is a question Im not quite sure of the answer to although ive done a bunch of racing.

Using ps3 controls, X is the handbrake. If you look at the control map in the menus, it also says that R1 is handbrake. However if you use R1 it clearly has a different function than X. Although R1 will brake you if you hold it, ive noticed it guns the engine and fires the turbo flash somethimes, it even seems to give you a boost when coming out of a turn? It is hard to tell and I cant figure out how/when to best use it, or even to use it at al.

I was wondering if anyone could explain exactly what R1's function is, and how to best use it to improve racing.

Thanks!

motorider420
  • motorider420

MotoRider42HC

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

Get A Speed Boost Every Time!

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

Allow me to add something that Racing Driver Jackie Stewart once said:

Brake going into the turn, but make sure you accelerate consistantly. You don't want to applie throttle then brake then throttle, but SMOOTHLY accelerate, in one go, coming out of the corner.

Brake softly in, make the turn and as you come out, gradually apply throttle. don't floor it.

Ace advice, even if i suck at racing haha

Venth
  • Venth

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:52 AM

Mototrider420 I'm not sure if you posted that video to respond to me. I appreciate if you did but I was not referring to hitting the gas on 'go' for a turbo start at the beginning of the race. Im not sure if you are xbox or ps3, but on PS3 if you use the standard control config I was referring to the use of R1 throughout the race. I tried to explain as best I could in my above post but basically it is listed as 'handbrake' along with 'x' button on the controller map but clearly has a different function than 'x' handbraking if you have turbo installed on your vehicle.

trickeh2k
  • trickeh2k

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

Here is a question Im not quite sure of the answer to although ive done a bunch of racing.

Using ps3 controls, X is the handbrake. If you look at the control map in the menus, it also says that R1 is handbrake. However if you use R1 it clearly has a different function than X. Although R1 will brake you if you hold it, ive noticed it guns the engine and fires the turbo flash somethimes, it even seems to give you a boost when coming out of a turn? It is hard to tell and I cant figure out how/when to best use it, or even to use it at al.

I was wondering if anyone could explain exactly what R1's function is, and how to best use it to improve racing.

Thanks!

Hmm interesting, never thought about that since the handbrake is useless for cars. Well, I can't say that I tried the R1 with the cars yet though but it's very useful for bikes (just discovered, lol).

It feels very strange that it would give you a boost coming out of a corner though. So far in my experience, the only thing it does is to make the car come to an almost deadstop. Utterly useless!

Venth
  • Venth

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:49 AM

Thanks!

Hmm interesting, never thought about that since the handbrake is useless for cars. Well, I can't say that I tried the R1 with the cars yet though but it's very useful for bikes (just discovered, lol).

It feels very strange that it would give you a boost coming out of a corner though. So far in my experience, the only thing it does is to make the car come to an almost deadstop. Utterly useless!

Try tapping it on a straightaway or when you are taking a corner. you will see the turbo flash you wont see with X and -something- happens I just dont know what. If you hold it down it will bring you to a dead stop for sure

KingReflex
  • KingReflex

Veteran Fighter Pilot and Wall Glitcher

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

You can also press Y (on Xbox360) when searching for other players to extend the search time a bit more.  You can only do this once though per race/mission etc - you do need to to be the host for this though.

Expert tip: switch matchmaking to closed then open again to reset timer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users