Quantcast

» «
Photo

Middle-earth: Shadow Of Mordor (w/ RDR Design Leader)

81 replies to this topic
El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:08 AM

that's a poor question.

your mileage will obviously vary depending on how you play each quest, how much time on you spend on Nemesis missions, or other side activities.

I'm sure some people could finish 20 quests in 20 hours.

other people might play 20 quests for months.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

All hope lies in Doom.

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:18 AM

The game looks quite fun, but changes to lore are making my fanboy heart weep. Some of those things are completely ridiculous.

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 05 October 2014 - 11:46 AM

The game looks quite fun, but changes to lore are making my fanboy heart weep. Some of those things are completely ridiculous.

Any particularly rediculous alterations? Been tring too look up some stuff regarding specific lore changes but can't find anything.

HaythamKenway
  • HaythamKenway

All hope lies in Doom.

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 05 October 2014 - 12:19 PM

I haven't played the game, so I'm just forming my opinion of what I've heard and read and thus someone who actually got their hands on it could easily clear things up, but anyway:

First are two very obvious changes - first is the fact that Gondorians were still occupying Mordor 50-60 years before the events of LotR... while, canonically, they left the land almost 1500 years before. Okay, whatever. The second change is a bit worse. Men can't come back to life in Middle-Earth. The only, super special exception was Beren. The fact that some random ranger in a derivative material is put on the same level as one of greatest heroes in Tolkien's works is just wrong.

Spoiler

I'm probably just overreacting, but I feel Tolkien's work isn't some commercial "expanded universe" kind of stuff where any writer can just jump on and retcon whatever he wants and create his own OP original characters.

• Davo the Assassin likes this

Wayne Daniels
  • Wayne Daniels

Cattle Rustler

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

that's a poor question.
your mileage will obviously vary depending on how you play each quest, how much time on you spend on Nemesis missions, or other side activities.

I'm sure some people could finish 20 quests in 20 hours.
other people might play 20 quests for months.

Well not really, I was just curious. You know how games have their rough estimate play through times.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 05 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

I'm gonna give it another shot now, will go for mission quests until most of the stuff is unlocked.

reform
  • reform

Beaten, battered, bruised, Told to get down

• Members

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:45 PM

I haven't played the game, so I'm just forming my opinion of what I've heard and read and thus someone who actually got their hands on it could easily clear things up, but anyway:

First are two very obvious changes - first is the fact that Gondorians were still occupying Mordor 50-60 years before the events of LotR... while, canonically, they left the land almost 1500 years before. Okay, whatever. The second change is a bit worse. Men can't come back to life in Middle-Earth. The only, super special exception was Beren. The fact that some random ranger in a derivative material is put on the same level as one of greatest heroes in Tolkien's works is just wrong.

Spoiler

I'm probably just overreacting, but I feel Tolkien's work isn't some commercial "expanded universe" kind of stuff where any writer can just jump on and retcon whatever he wants and create his own OP original characters.

Crikey. Well they're certainly some drastic and tactless lore faux pas.

Part of me feels like they might as well have just created a new heavily Tolkien-inspired IP instead of branding this game as literally set in his world, but I guess they already had the license, and they wanted that name attatatched o their product.

Kind of a shame considering the great player reviews this is getting. I expect I will pick this up, but I'll just have to detatch myself from its story as much as possible, although maybe that won't be hard as folks are saying the plot is pretty weak anyway.

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

all your game are belong to I

• Members

Posted 05 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

I have the opposite reaction as you Lianghu, very dissapointed and regret buying it already.

No story, just that you have to kill orcs, a lot, abilities are weak and based on absolutely nothing it seems. But hey, I've only spent an hour in it now, but I'm already bored. Will try again later.

Its a game about ethnic cleansing. Chopping orcs is the point. There's depth to it, but only in how you go about killing orcs, which ones, when, etc...

Basically, if you still liked beating up baddies at the end of Arkham, get this game. If you didn't, don't get this game. Simple as that. Combat is definitely up there with arkham (miles better than ac).

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:10 PM Edited by Stormingz, 05 October 2014 - 08:12 PM.

I'm interested in getting this game for Xbox one, but I have a few questions; is this game really worth the current retail price of £50? I enjoyed the Batman Arkham series combat, I thought it was really fluid, and smooth, and since I've heard the combat is real similar, that's a plus for me.

My second question is, is there much variety in this game? I mean, do you basically hack and slash your way though the whole game? Also, what's the story like? I've always found the story in LOTR games to be really weak and boring, and since the only gameplay I've seen is combat, I was wondering if the story had any backbone.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

To Catch A Flame

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:51 PM

I'm interested in getting this game for Xbox one, but I have a few questions; is this game really worth the current retail price of £50? I enjoyed the Batman Arkham series combat, I thought it was really fluid, and smooth, and since I've heard the combat is real similar, that's a plus for me.

My second question is, is there much variety in this game? I mean, do you basically hack and slash your way though the whole game? Also, what's the story like? I've always found the story in LOTR games to be really weak and boring, and since the only gameplay I've seen is combat, I was wondering if the story had any backbone.

The combat is very fluid. At times though I find that some of the inputs don't register, but it's almost the same as the Arkham series. You can't double counter in the Arkham games, in this if you get 2 enemies going to attack you then you can counter them both at the same time. It's pretty cool. The upgrades are really fun. The more powerful you get the more fun the combat gets. At least for me. 

You don't have to hack and slash your way through the game. There IS stealth and you can also use a bow. Just like in Batman and other stealth games, you can clear an entire room without any enemies knowing.

As for the story line I haven't gotten far in it as I said. But the story is written by the same guy that worked on RDR. So far I find it interesting, but not really in-depth as you'd expect from a LOTR game.

All in all the $50 was worth it because I'm having a lot of fun with it. It looks good and it doesn't have any performance issues (on PC). The climbing is a bit wonky. It's not as fluid as you'd expect from AC or Uncharted. There a quite a few people streaming this on Twitch every now and then, so you can check out some streams before going to buy it.

• Stormingz likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 06 October 2014 - 10:23 PM

so I did pick the game up after payday this weekend and got around to putting in a few hours.

then a few hours more last night.

here's the dealy-yo-yo.

people have been complaining about how the story doesn't match up with Tolkien lore. personally I could give a sh*t. the game is fun and it's clearly not supposed to be canon. having played into the campaign long enough to see a handful of both primary and side missions, plus gathering, plus the Nemesis system, it's safe to say that Shadow of Mordor is not Game of the Year and it's not a wondrous breakthrough for the industry.

it's also safe to say that Shadow of Mordor is a lot of fun and one of the better RPGs of 2014.

gameplay is solid all around, combat is intense but seamless, the AI is very well balanced, and there's a variety of missions that will be seemingly endless. it's an enjoyable, beefy RPG with a lot of open-ended options and freedom in gameplay. you have multiple approaches to completing most missions and don't seem to be forced into any specific path.

it's like a super polished version of Assassins Creed or Batman Arkham in the style of its combat/action.

I'm having a great time with it so far because it's the kind of title you can just sink into for a totally mindless gaming session for as long as you want. the open world is pretty dynamic, feels very alive, and it seems like there's always something to do whether you're playing the actual campaign or the different mission scenarios.

Wayne Daniels
  • Wayne Daniels

Cattle Rustler

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:49 PM

Finally releases in Australia tomorrow, picking it straight from work can't wait. I haven't pre ordered but there should be copies left :/

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

To Catch A Flame

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:44 PM

I got to (I guess you could say) Act II last night. I unlocked the Shadow Strike/Kill ability which never gets old. 

Easily my favorite move in the game. I also unlocked the branding ability (finally!) which definitely makes combat easier when you're outnumbered 20:1

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:01 PM

Bump.

So, considering how graphically awesome this game is, I was afraid to install the game only to be disappointed.

For the record, I have a:

Intel Pentium G3220 3.0 GhZ

4 Gigs of RAM

GT 730 MSI 2GB

Guess f*cking what: It RUNS. And really well. Of course, I'm playing on low settings, except textures and vegetation on medium, on 720p, and it f*cking runs. 30 frames per second, no bullsh*t.

I mean, I'm pretty f*cking happy. It's a good game, love it, and it runs on my PC. Maybe not on 1080p on ultra (6 GB, what the f*ck), but it still has the next-gen look.

Just this:

7f5.gif

Dutch Psycho
  • Dutch Psycho

TETTEN! :-)

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

I played this game for about 10 hours and i completely got bored of it. I don't know what is going on with me but i'm losing interest in games very fast after i looked forward to it. The gameplay and story are good but it's getting repetitive and the world is one big place of the same.

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

• Members

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:05 PM

Too bad, Dutch. I get it though. If you don't like it after 10 hours you're not going to like it.

I can't get enough of it. I've now learned branding so now I went back to the first world and tore apart the army there. I'm way powerful now and had killed all the captains before so they were replaced by a bunch of weaklings. Now more than half the captains are mine, the others are dead. One warchief is dead, two are mine and the other two are waiting to be betrayed by their bodyguards.

My dude is levelled up to the final tier of powers so I now get two finishers for each 5 hits and criticals counts for two. That translates into a lot of dead uruks. I love the sense of empowerment this game gives you. I'm perfectly capable of standing off with about 50 uruks now, while at the start I was getting mauled constantly because I kept running headlong into fights I couldn't win.

I had a great rivalry with a hunter called Kaka the Puny. I think he became a captain early on for killing me, and kept rising the ranks. He was annoying because he has exploding arrows and is immune to ranged, stealth and a beast slayer. He also travels in packs so he was really hard to take out. And he keeps coming back from the dead, his head now wrapped in bandages because there probably isn't much left you know of him.

When I take on my first warchief, guess who the bodyguard is? Kaka back from the dead again. But i took him down, and his chief, in an epic prolonged battle. First I kept coming at them and running away, slowly drawing them away from the stronghold and the constant reinforcements. Then I methodically peeled away the underlings before first smashing kaka and then his warchief. Hell yeah!

Now when Kaka comes back to hunt me, its no longer a threat, but kinda sad. Like he's deranged and doesn't want to give up.. He's always alone now, which makes it even sadder.

Well, next time he comes back I have a nice surprise for him. He can fight for me now.
Frigging loving this game! And that's coming from someone who hated the first lotr movie with a passion and fell asleep 40 mins into the second one. I really hate it so I still don't give a crap about the story, setting, characters, etc. But it doesn't matter.

I'm going to finish my takeover of udun now.

TEoS
  • TEoS

Say pal, you don't look so good.

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:12 AM Edited by TEoS, 13 October 2014 - 04:16 AM.

I feel you on the explosive arrows, and the general asspain of ridiculous strength combinations some of the captains have, though I must say that the feeling you get when you take down some of the harder ones makes it totally worth it. Domination is also nice because it's guaranteed, unlike praying for a decapitation when you're trying to kill them. I do worry a bit that this game will force me to dominate all the captains and thus shoot itself in the foot by removing the funnest part.

Other than the awful story missions (HEY GAME DEVELOPERS, NO ONE LIKES FORCED RP WALKING DURING MISSIONS, I GET THAT ITS IMMERSIVE OR WHATEVER BUT IT'S NOT FUN PLEASE STOP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD), this game is fantastic. I finally got branding, and the game really opens up from there. While I understand that they wanted you to go around killing the captains for a bit before you start commanding them, I really wish it hadn't been a story based unlock, because I cannot stop rolling my eyes through all the cut scenes. I don't care about Talion, or the BBC of Sauron, or any of the essential plot characters. The orc captains are actually the only characters that are even remotely interesting, and that's probably because they are limited to 1 or 2 lines of (for the most part) humorous taunts.

Witchking Of Angmar
  • Witchking Of Angmar

One Ring to rule them all.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

anyone else encountered an orc like this yet?  :lol:

• Stormingz likes this

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:15 PM

anyone else encountered an orc like this yet?  :lol:

Sounds like he's getting ready to do some freaky sh*t.
  • Witchking Of Angmar likes this

TEoS
  • TEoS

Say pal, you don't look so good.

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, one of the warchiefs in my game did that. He had the surname "of the Spiders" so I thought he just didn't speak because he'd been raised by Spiders. It was simultaneously funny/unsettling when I first encountered him.

GTA DUDE05
  • GTA DUDE05

Prankster

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:02 AM

Free new Shadow of Mordor DLC - Play as the Black Hand

Shadow-of-Mordor-Black-Hand.0.0_cinema_9http://www.polygon.c...rk-lords-finest

theworldfamous
  • theworldfamous

• Members

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

Yay, finally finished this yesterday. I put it aside for a while, but coming back felt good.

I also put in way too much work slaughtering captains and storming strongholds so my character is outrageously powerful with all but 3 or 4 abilities unlocked. I love the sense of empowerment in this game, when it starts 10 uruks can easily overpower you, at the end you can now through 100 of them like it doesn't matter.

The ending was disappointing, but then again, who cares about the story anyway. I gather it was something about the ranger not liking the orcs for some reason. Anyway, great game. Good mix of old school fun and a bit of next gen smarts that keep it interesting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users