Quantcast

» «
Photo

Middle-earth: Shadow Of Mordor (w/ RDR Design Leader)

83 replies to this topic
iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:52 AM Edited by iNero, 13 November 2013 - 01:53 AM.

cov_248_l.jpg

As movie audiences gear up for the next installment of The Hobbit, gamers now have their own Tolkien project to get excited about. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is on its way to a game screen near you on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. Developed by Monolith Productions and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, we feel the upcoming game showcases some of the gameplay innovation potential now possible on next-generation consoles through its groundbreaking Nemesis System.

While many previous games set in Middle-earth have revolved around the major events or characters depicted in Tolkien's books, Shadow of Mordor offers a new chapter that fits comfortably between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Players control a lone ranger by the name of Talion as he journeys deep into the heart of Mordor in the days before it transforms into a blasted hellscape. Along the way, developer Monolith is exploring a fascinating next-gen approach to enemies, encounters, and storytelling, one in which every player shapes their own story through the choices they make. The Nemesis System assures that every enemy you fight is a named foe, and if they survive their battle with you, they continue to grow, improve, and act in the world, even as you attempt to do the same with Talion. Our cover story recounts our extensive look at the game in action, from combat and leveling to story and setting.

http://www.gameinfor...rdor-67498.aspx

bAz.png

Summary of the GI Cover Story:

Seemed to me it was more concept although it was in gameplay form, like the camera was in the right spot if you were to actually play it but if it was real then it looked rough. But it's still early so I'm not worried about that. The gameplay seems really ambitious though.

-> Every enemy has a name, rank and memory. If you don't kill them in an encounter for whatever reason they will remember you later on and change their tactics, not only getting stronger in level but learning new immunities. Enemy dialogue changes because of your previous encounters as well.

-> Enemies have their own jobs to do and their AI allows them to do certain things on their own. For example an Orc you have to kill may be dueling another at one point or he may be doing whatever his higher ranking officer assigned him to do. It all progresses in real time with or without your interference.

-> If an enemy kills you in battle you don't "die" in the traditional sense. You do eventually respawn but time in the world passed (they didn't say how long). During this time the enemy that killed you was likely promoted because of him killing you or he could have been killed somehow (like losing one of the duels I mentioned above).

-> If your objective is to kill a high ranking warlord you can do it in several ways. One way would be chipping away at everyone under his rank and either killing them or making them become "agents" for you which will enable you to launch ambushes on their base or possibly even assassinate the warlord by making his 2nd in command your agent. However it's not guaranteed, the 2nd in command can fail and be killed but he may have partial success as well which takes a chunk of the warlord's health away to make your battle easier.

-> The combat seems like it takes cues from the Batman games. They mentioned there was a rhythm to it and you get to keep a combo multiplier going.

-> It's fully open world so it has all of the stuff you'd expect. XP, skills, sidequests, random events (hell the whole game is basically a random event with that nemesis system and the AI working on their own even when enemies aren't on screen).

-> You get to use normal melee combat, stealth with a dagger or ranged with a bow. How you level those up depends on what you took the target out with. A stealth kill will get you a special rune to use on stealth skills, direct combat will get you a melee rune and so on.

All in all I'm impressed by what I read.

http://www.neogaf.co...971&postcount=1

This one excites me the most:

The Lead Designer (and writer) of Red Dead Redemption is working on it!

https://twitter.com/...353412673310721

k70KWvu.png

Developed by Monolith Productions and published by Warner Bros.

Plattforms: PS3,PS4,360,X1,PC

Few more pics:

lua4HGf.png

tnaSjOC.png

• Dяno likes this

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:58 AM

Looks good

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:06 AM

It looks like its an Third-Person Action Game. Hopefully it has depth cause stuff like crafting and looting/inventory seems to be not in the game as it isnt an RPG.

Will be really interessting how this turns out.

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:18 AM

Looks promising, hope it doesn't suck.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

It would have been a lot more exciting if it were a new IP instead of another LoTR game. Next-gen systems are almost out. We need more original new IPs.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

Read the news on facebook.... everything seemed interesting. But then I found out Monolith is behind this... devs of the F.E.A.R. games. Completely lost faith in the game/interest.

Gigs84
  • Gigs84

Haven't you ever heard of the healing power of laughter?

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

Could be interesting, though I'm a little concerned on two things. One, though I enjoy the movies, the games for this series have failed to impress me. Two, I like that it's open world, but I wonder how much do you effect this open world.

I like the "converting enemies to agents" concept but would be interesting in seeing/reading more about it.

JonnyVercetti
  • JonnyVercetti

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

Weird I was searching for news of a new lotr game that could be coming out yesterday, then this pops up now.

Hmm I wonder how this will go down.. The Lord of the rings games are either really good.. or really bad.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:20 PM Edited by CatDog96, 24 November 2013 - 12:30 PM.

Yo fiends some screens here

middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-screenshot

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

I just wish that for once they made a proper open world RPG based in Arda, or at least just Middle Earth.

While this does look good to an avid Tolkien fan like me, however, I do feel that the greatness of the game is being diminished due to it being only an open world action game, not an RPG. As well as being limited only to Mordor, as I understand. Since I think the story will be to focused and condensed into one point, this will leave the rest of the world lifeless. At least the way I see it from personal experiences with these type of games.

But that's just me, I'd reckon.

JonnyVercetti
  • JonnyVercetti

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Looks okay, I'll highly look into it before I buy.

Just hoping one day.. just one day, there will be a skyrim-like lord of the rings game.
  • visionist likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:56 PM

I just wish that for once they made a proper open world RPG based in Arda, or at least just Middle Earth.

seriously.

there has not been a single good Lord of the Rings game ever made because they've made them all wrong.

turn-based?

RTS?

MMO?

to hell with that.

give me a solid, fleshed out, over developed, open-world, third-person RPG.

let us pick from a few different races, a few different classes, and then drop us off in our starting village somewhere in the corner of Middle Earth and let us embark on our own epic journey. think of the Skyrim model but with better and more challenging combat. or the Dragon Age model but with bigger a and more detailed world to explore. that's what a good Lord of the Ring game needs.

• Failure, visionist and CatDog96 like this

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

I hope there will be a TES/Fallout-like Star Wars and LoTR RPG some time.

There are those only ones, but I dont like online RPGs. ( unless they are coop in SP)

• visionist likes this

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Just hoping one day.. just one day, there will be a skyrim-like lord of the rings game.

yes im hoping for one as well. Hopefully this will be more than mordor. i am also let down that the new elder scrolls is online only.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

somenew screens

Shadow-of-Mordor-3-1280x447.jpg

Shadow-of-Mordor-4-1280x720.jpg

Shadow-of-Mordor-1-1280x720.jpg

Shadow-of-Mordor-2-1280x720.jpg

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

The Sound of Silence

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

There was once this big mod for skyrim called Middle Earth Role Playing (MERP)

They were to recreate middle earth in Skyrim, it was said that it was 9 times larger than the original Skyrim map, with the original story of LOTR, the screenshots released will say more.

But too bad Warner Bros asked them to shut down their development, shame...

I wonder if they made MERP stop their development just because of this game...

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

New 8 minute gameplay!

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=Bl9J_ewx3Rg
  • CatDog96 likes this

OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick
  • OnceAgainYoungFitzpatrick

Thug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

Sauron eye looks weird. As in the game itself, eh... I'm worried the game could get boring and repetitive. As others have stated, an open world game which takes place in all of Arda would be amazing.

• Moonshield likes this

Apex.
  • Apex.

Alright?

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:53 PM

Very cool, very cool indeed.

I've been getting 'back into' the Lord of the Rings series' lately and I hope to finally be reading the books soon, so this has piqued my interest. The graphics didn't particularly wow me, but then again it did say pre-alpha, and I don't know much about tech-terms but I imagine that means the graphics haven't been fully developed yet, so let's hope they improve that. Other than that thought this game looks like it has really good potential, let's hope it doesn't flop!

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:10 AM

It looked a bit like a lord of the rings assassin's creed

JonnyVercetti
  • JonnyVercetti

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

assassins creed & arkham put together.

hmm looks alright, not too sure yet.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

it looks good. But its open world, so theres much more that the game needs. sidemissions, activities and stuff.

I just hope, that its not too cinematic and scripted.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

At first i was excited but now i feel let down, to me, so far, it looks just like Assassins Creed. 

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:34 PM

Release: October 7th 2014

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

We're born with nothing and we die alone

• Zaibatsu
  • United-States

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:37 PM

I just pre ordered this on PC and I'm patiently awaiting for October 7th.

Hopefully they won't delay it 3 weeks before release for "polish" and release it 6 months later.

This game looks awesome. Here's to me not learning my lesson with Watch Dogs!  :rah:

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

October 7th?

but I want it now :(

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

October 7th?

but I want it now :(

veruca.png

• El Diablo likes this

Dяno
  • Dяno

dolan pls

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

You make the best threads brother Nero. Can't wan't to get my gameinformer this month to read it!

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:48 PM

This is one of the only games I'm looking forward to, so far, this year. I'm a big LOTR fan, and have been waiting for an action oriented open world middle earth game forever. I just hope it fits into the existing mythology and doesn't try to be too big.

Dяno
  • Dяno

dolan pls

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

How much you wanna bet they going to delay it like a month before it's released. Alot of games have been getting delayed this year and I swear if Watch Dogs gets delayed again, I'm going to choke my brother to death for hyping me up for it since 2012.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users