Quantcast

» «
Photo

The space around the map

25 replies to this topic

Poll: What would you want around the map? (64 member(s) have cast votes)

What would you want around the map?

1. Sea (33 votes [51.56%])

Percentage of vote: 51.56%

2. Land with invisible wall (17 votes [26.56%])

Percentage of vote: 26.56%

3. Other (post it) (14 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:35 PM Edited by Wolfhuman, 12 November 2013 - 12:37 PM.

Since the first gta game (i think), there was always sea around the map.

But i have seen some people saying that its unrealistic to have a city in the middle of nowhere.

In red redemption however, there was no sea but the reason for that was because there were no planes so no were to go to.

But what about the idea to have some land around the city, but you can't go to it because there is a invisible wall?

Or something else? Post your idea, i am interested to see that.

• DIEXEL likes this

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

Endless Desert would have been better. A lot of people know why.

• DIEXEL, Witchking Of Angmar, ShinobiFixer and 1 other like this

bensons
  • bensons

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

Oblivion did the land with an invisible wall thing.

I liked san andreas where you could just keep on flying out to sea. I think looking out to sea gives a sense of something else being there.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:39 PM

The island system they've repeatedly used is the only one that makes sense, IMO. 

For a game that attempts to provide a level of realism, smacking a plane or a boat into an invisible wall would be dumb. 

Trailing off to infinite ocean and being forced to crash makes perfect sense. I honestly can't see a solution other than that would work. 

Same applies to the land mass. If you're hauling ass over a mountain it would be incredibly jarring to suddenly encounter one you couldn't fly over, or get passed because of an invisible wall. 

Simon_V
  • Simon_V

Red Dead Undead

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Wouldn't mind to have endless land around a city, but I don't really care.

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

I am split on this one, I find the sea rather boring as I am sure most people do, being land locked kind of distracts from the experience sometimes, but I am not convinced that an invisible wall would be any better

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

I wouldn't mind endless desert and your plane gets shot down at a certain distance. But no invisible wall like Fallout 3 etc.

fish61324
  • fish61324

Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

Water is fine. If R* put land with an invisible wall around the map... do you know how many people wold be complaining about not being able to get to that land......

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

Water is fine. If R* put land with an invisible wall around the map... do you know how many people wold be complaining about not being able to get to that land......

Correct. It's not worth the hassle to change it now. Look how pissed everyone got because they couldn't take Action Man to the virtual gym anymore. 

Murray Bunyan
  • Murray Bunyan

Peon

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

Infinite/procedurally generated land would be a great thing.

xXxTerrorist
  • xXxTerrorist

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

How about a world like CIV where you can just travel around it if you go straight.

DIEXEL
  • DIEXEL

Peon

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:10 AM Edited by DIEXEL, 21 November 2013 - 04:11 AM.

*North:0931-0942 - 11 ingame minutes from the island to the "invisible wall" (or what you call it) (from the mainland and not from the northern islands)
*East: 0047-0125 - 38 ingame minutes from the island to the "invisible wall"
*West: 1340-1425 - 45 ingame minutes from the island to the "invisible wall"
*South: 1307-1342 - 35 ingame minutes from the island to the "invisible wall"

I used the Frogger helicopter.

Why is the "invisible wall" in north so close to the island when it took at least 35 ingame minutes to reach the other "invisible walls" in the other directions?

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:24 AM

endless desert would've been great for modders!

• DIEXEL likes this

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:27 AM

How about a world like CIV where you can just travel around it if you go straight.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Loop back around on the opposite side of the map if you go too far. It would definitely be a pretty good solution in my books. Beats having to kill your vehicles engines and drown you.

quicksilver279
  • quicksilver279

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:27 AM

The island system they've repeatedly used is the only one that makes sense, IMO. 

For a game that attempts to provide a level of realism, smacking a plane or a boat into an invisible wall would be dumb. 

Trailing off to infinite ocean and being forced to crash makes perfect sense. I honestly can't see a solution other than that would work. 

Same applies to the land mass. If you're hauling ass over a mountain it would be incredibly jarring to suddenly encounter one you couldn't fly over, or get passed because of an invisible wall. 

It would be like the Truman show if there was a wall

• DIEXEL likes this

CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:28 AM

A system like the one in Saints Row 2, it was all water but you could see land in the distance, if you attempted to fly/drive too far out of the map, the game would automatically turn your aircraft/boat around towards the map.

• DIEXEL likes this

ll rdny ll
  • ll rdny ll

Master of the Bitchfit

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:04 AM

I've always wanted an endless desert/fields/whatever, with bounceback walls that hurl you back into the play area.

I don't know why, but I see it being a f*ckload of fun

twc97
  • twc97

Herbalistic

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:09 AM

I like the sea thing but I also liked gta 3s bridge outta town closed due to stormy weather. Very creative
  • DIEXEL likes this

Killerdude8
  • Killerdude8

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

Why Reinvent the wheel? R* have been using this system since the beginning, it makes the most sense and works the best.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

Maybe they shouldn't put the tallest f*cking mountain at the edge of the map next time. The view looks quite literally unreal.

• DIEXEL likes this

GT Motion
  • GT Motion

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Endless desert terrain, something like driving through New Mexico would have been great, then maybe they could have it to where once night falls in the desert some insanely hard thugs or psycho truckers come and kill you, forcing you to spawn in the city.  The island thing kind of ruins it for me.

• DIEXEL and Witchking Of Angmar like this

Sasqui
  • Sasqui

Gangsta sh*t

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:57 AM Edited by Sasqui, 21 November 2013 - 10:00 AM.

Infinite dense forest would give peoples something to look for bigfoot in. Infinite desert would be killer, too. Maybe your vehicles break down, a pack of wolves or coyotes start hunting you, your aim becomes unsteady and you get weaker due to dehydration and hunger, your health drops, and eventually you pass out and wake up just outside of the main map with some guy in a truck driving away if you were in the desert or, if you do this in the forest, you wake up and, if you look behind you quick enough, you see bigfoot disappearing over the horizon, implying that it saved you. 'Twould be a cool Easter egg.
However, there should be ocean on 2 sides at least. I'm okay with islands since I'm not sick of them yet, but by GTA VII I will be.
  • DIEXEL likes this

Shmiqq
  • Shmiqq

you know how it is man

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Well I remember for 3/LCS they covered off a little with the tunnel to upstate. Maybe they could put border patrol on edges and just attach it to land.

Or use the same excuses for not swimming, but this time for outer deserts: it's diseased so go there and you'll die, just like Liberty City's poisoned water.

darkdayz
  • darkdayz

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:10 AM Edited by darkdayz, 21 November 2013 - 11:11 AM.

Sea, ocean whatever. It always had been that and always will be.

Until they start merging maps on new hardware. It's possible now. They can start connecting everything when they have a decent amount of HD maps. Right now there is only 2 and a quarter if you include Ludendorff.

What I mean is for example maps that are (in the real world) next to each other. It is suggested that Carcer City is next to Liberty, on the outskirts, so that would be joined rather than seperated by water. The greater population of all the maps in one game would still be surrounded by Ocean.

If they did Las Venturas in HD, its in the state of SA so would be joined onto Los Santos.

RatchetAZ
  • RatchetAZ

Crackhead

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

Just endless desert or mountains and stuff, make it look realistic. Its one of the things that I didn't like about previous GTA games, just nothing there so there was no need to venture away from the map. But there should be something out there for GTA 6 whatever it is. Maybe they should look at having endless hills around the map (not where the beaches and sea is going to be) but have a wall or something stopping you, so at least it looks like the map is connected to the rest of the country.

Bleep*
  • Bleep*

General

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

It would be like the Truman show if there was a wall

Lol a giant backdrop where there's a secret door which leads to everything you've ever wanted in GTAV.

• DIEXEL likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users