Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is there any possible to make GTA: Worldwide?

5 replies to this topic
sh2dc
  • sh2dc

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

The whole earth map will be greatest game ever!

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

Not GTA, no. Won't happen.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

That sounds quite possible, but you'll need a lot of time and by the time it's finished it'll look like sh*t compared to everything else on the market.

Aintgottime2bleed
  • Aintgottime2bleed

to weird to live to rare to die

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

Lol there would be alot of loadscreens or nothing on the map or 2d graphics, i think its to much for this time to make it happen, fly 14hours real life time to get to other side of map to do a mission that takes 3 minutes. 

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:04 PM Edited by WinterEdit, 12 November 2013 - 07:08 PM.

Well...

Let's take Minecraft for example. It is a Java-based game and loads parts of map as 'chunks', meaning not everything is loaded instantly. This allows for it to be like thousands of Earth-size areas big. Also remember that the graphics in it aren't exactly the best.

But GTA... could work. Not sure how GTA loads even the one city/state, but I assume it's at least some version of chunks too. The graphics could make some sort of a problem. But let's remember another game: Far Cry 2. It had a huge map also, good graphics and it still wasn't that big of a problem for PS3 to handle.

GTA would also require

a) A lot of time to make it... speaking of like decades, since R* created GTA V (being one state big) in ~5 years. So yeah.

or

b) Updating the game after releasing a small part of map as free DLC's/updates. For example, to add on Liberty City if LC was the starting place.

Another problem could be the disk space/data amount. GTA's nowadays take like 12 GB's (I recall that being GTA IV's data amount in Steam, if I am correct) and that was one city. I don't remember GTA V's data on PS3, but it's likely even more. So a GTA that'd be worldwide, would take huge amounts of disk space.

Theoretical calculation based on GTA IV stuff (warning: school level math incoming, anyone that is pro at mathematics can help if they want to)

Let's assume all the land in GTA IV would be 1,5x2,5 miles aka. 3,75 mi2 (don't remember the exact amount, I remember trying to test it with waypoints though.). All the data of GTA IV is 12 Gb (once again, assumption)...

if the Earth's land is 57 506 056 mi2 big, then it would be 12  * 57 506 056 (mi2) (mi2 in brackets because they are not necessary, and no Gb's because we don't want Gb to mess with our head now and the 2 in brackets so we remember to keep it there).

It results in 690 072 6722. Okay, let's take the square root from that.

~ 26269.

It would take around 26 269 Gb (26,2 Tb) if GTA IV was in the scale of the Earth... done with poor mathematics. I most likely messed up somewhere along the way, but the result is what I assume it is.

If it is correct: See the problem? No one has the disk space for such things yet, except some random people like NASA/other major companies.

If it's wrong (more likely): You can try to calculate it yourself... you'll more likely trust in yourself more or get the correct answer more likely than a random comment in the Internet.

I also tested it with square kilometers, and got a different result... so yeah, it's probably wrong. Which one or both? I don't know. I've never converted area to bytes. It was a fun challenge.

fireguy109
  • fireguy109

It's a long way to the top

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:36 PM Edited by fireguy109, 12 November 2013 - 07:40 PM.

The only reason Minecraft can work is because the worlds are generated from the seed. The world doesn't exist outside the boundaries of where you have traveled. This may seem confusing, but basically the only reason you can have infinite sized MC maps is because you don't explore the entire thing, most people stay within about two hundred chunks (16x16) of their spawn. If you figured out the scale of a MC map and then rendered (explored or otherwise generated from the seed) an area equal to earth's surface, the game save would be so big you couldn't store it on your entire drive (f*ck, you'd need Google-level storage) much less a distributable game disc (talk to MissCloud if you don't believe me when I say MC worlds can get way too big). Now MC has very basic storage. The entire map is a grid composed of chunks leading up to the build height limit and below to bedrock (248.0-0.0 on the y axis, last I checked). Everything is stored a single brick in that lattice. The tricks like double chests or multi-block objects are handled when it is rendered, and don't reflect how it's stored. Now imagine a GTA game, where you have hundreds of models of various sizes and collisions all bunched on top of one another, multiple objects in one grid space etc. Now include all the pathing for the roads, NPC paths, zoning - you're well beyond the realm of possibility and we've barely scratched the surface, considering the billions of models you would need to make a copy of the world in a video game.

TL;DR physically impossible. There's no way to store that much data. The reason MC works, like I said, is it's made on the fly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users