Photo

The "N" word

152 replies to this topic
FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:54 PM Edited by FirstLadyofGTA, 15 November 2013 - 01:16 PM.

Right, that's why both Finn and Unoriginal, who are the only two people you've really engaged with on the subject, have both said your contributions make no sense.

Just me, right?

First off this is derailing from the topic Sivis but if you must...when was I engaging with Unoriginal?  He came in barking like a dog and the above post was me finding out if he was really paying attention which he obviously wasn't.  Girish....no it was Moonshield and if he couldn't even bother to take notice of which moderator was quoting him, I was pretty sure he wasn't reading my posts very well either.  Now with Finn there was some tense engagement and even he (after Max's comment; go back and read) had to admit that he 'supposedly' learned something.  It was Max who made him realize that my initial posts actually did make some sense. So.............

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:03 PM Edited by WinterEdit, 15 November 2013 - 01:03 PM.

So the question is, do you feel that the racial side of "Nigga" has been nullified through social acceptance and common use? Mostly via movies and music.

I'd say it depends on different people... and especially the race itself.

By this I mean that I guess it's more acceptable for a black guy to say it to a black guy instead of if a white guy said it to a black one (unless they are good friends, of course).

But in my personal opinion saying "nigga" isn't even a bad insult. It could be due to the amount of seeing it, but I wouldn't use it as an insult to a black guy in the first place, I would say something worse. Anyway, I don't insult anyone in real life unless they do so first, so it's a 'pointless' thought, really.

I do use insults when with friends, but they know it's not a real insult. If there is someone I know a little less, I might not be that "open about insults". I don't know a proper word for it.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Right, that's why both Finn and Unoriginal, who are the only two people you've really engaged with on the subject, have both said your contributions make no sense.

Just me, right?

First off this is derailing from the topic Sivis but if you must...when was I engaging with Unoriginal?  He came in barking like a dog and the above post was me finding out if he was really paying attention which he obviously wasn't.  Girish....no it was Moonshield and if he couldn't even bother to take notice of which moderator was quoting him, I was pretty sure he wasn't reading my posts very well either.  Now with Finn there was some tense engagement and even he (after Max's comment; go back and read) had to admit that he 'supposedly' learned something.  It was Max who made him realize that my initial posts actually did make sense. So.............
How is asking you to clarify what in God's name you are going on about constitute derailing the topics?

In the response where you quoted Finn, you claimed you were responding to Unoriginal. Why quote one person and then reply to a different one?

Max. went to great lengths to digest and explain your statements in a way which actually made sense; the entirety of your initial argument with Finn appears to be a product of him completely failing to understand what you were saying, which isn't surprising as it was totally opaque. The entire argument was basically superfluous and your descent into ad hominem attacks and bizarre insults didn't exactly serve you well.

Hence why I suggested that you should spend more time ensuring your responses made sense rather than trying to make yourself sound intelligent but instead just making them completely impenetrable. That extends to being unnecessarily rude and aggressive towards people who don't properly understand your points' 'cos you haven't explained them properly.

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Just me, right?

First off this is derailing from the topic Sivis but if you must...when was I engaging with Unoriginal?  He came in barking like a dog and the above post was me finding out if he was really paying attention which he obviously wasn't.  Girish....no it was Moonshield and if he couldn't even bother to take notice of which moderator was quoting him, I was pretty sure he wasn't reading my posts very well either.  Now with Finn there was some tense engagement and even he (after Max's comment; go back and read) had to admit that he 'supposedly' learned something.  It was Max who made him realize that my initial posts actually did make sense. So.............
How is asking you to clarify what in God's name you are going on about constitute derailing the topics?

In the response where you quoted Finn, you claimed you were responding to Unoriginal. Why quote one person and then reply to a different one?

Max. went to great lengths to digest and explain your statements in a way which actually made sense; the entirety of your initial argument with Finn appears to be a product of him completely failing to understand what you were saying, which isn't surprising as it was totally opaque. The entire argument was basically superfluous and your descent into ad hominem attacks and bizarre insults didn't exactly serve you well.

Hence why I suggested that you should spend more time ensuring your responses made sense rather than trying to make yourself sound intelligent but instead just making them completely impenetrable. That extends to being unnecessarily rude and aggressive towards people who don't properly understand your points' 'cos you haven't explained them properly.

OMG...it's derailing from the topic because the topic is about the use of N word...not whether you personally understood or cared about what I was posting!  And how on earth do you know if he went to great lengths to digest my post...please stop patronizing someone who isn't even here.  Max probably didn't need to go to great lengths to do anything he just understood what I was saying and probably understood that instead of me explaining why I hate the N word it was turning into a 'unless your black you can't comment debate'.  Finn wasn't challenging Max he was challenging me for essentially having the same opinion and Max.  What is so hard to comprehend about me saying 'You do not need to be Black American to have an opinion on this issue' !?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:22 PM Edited by sivispacem, 15 November 2013 - 02:36 PM.

And my responses in the context are every bit as on-topic as the overwhelming majority of posts have been so far. I'm addressing a lack of clarity in your replies that resulted in a two-page argument largely composed of ad hominem attacks conducted by you against another poster whose only mistake was not realising your generalist statements were ones of opinion, primarily because you didn't caveat them as such.

I can entirely see where Finn was coming from when he thought you were making objective claims about whether or not black people could use a word commonly seen as insulting towards each other. It's clear now that this wasn't your intent but that doesn't excuse the aggression in your responses and certainly doesn't explain why you made the totally illogical assumption that, by questioning your reasoning behind his belief, he was stating that only black people have any authority to make statements on the issue.

The "you can't comment unless you're black" claim you alleged against Finn he never actually made- you just assumed that his questioning of the fact you appeared to make an opinion statement as if it were fact constituted this.

You then proceeded to call him sexist, imply he was ignorant and bigoted, claim his only intent was to start an argument, make out like you were the victim of his chauvinism when you actually escalated the argument by being downright offensive, finally topping it off by saying that because you're female he must be the instigator because obviously he only cares what women think when they agree with him. All of which, quite aside from being f*cking ridiculous, painted you in a very negative light and really just made it look like you couldn't deal with anyone questioning your views without slandering them or implying they were discriminating against you just for disagreeing.

I hope that's a little clearer.
  • geobst likes this

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 02:59 PM Edited by Unoriginal Gangster, 15 November 2013 - 03:01 PM.

@FiratLadyofGTA; You use the term "barking like a dog" too much. Most of your content still makes little to no sense and therefore I'm not going to read over when responding. You're boring me and you're going on like an emotional teenager who didn't get their way.

I'm tired of arguing with you because you just confuse me with your post content, I don't know if its because you're an idiot or what.

I can surely say its a definite that you're not from the eighties. Your attitude, your grammar and your wording proves that. Either that or you're uneducated.

Learn to stop.

Stop derailing the topic

Words to live by. Let's get back on topic.

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

@FiratLadyofGTA; You use the term "barking like a dog" too much. Most of your content still makes little to no sense and therefore I'm not going to read over when responding. You're boring me and you're going on like an emotional teenager who didn't get their way.

I'm tired of arguing with you because you just confuse me with your post content, I don't know if its because you're an idiot or what.

I can surely say its a definite that you're not from the eighties. Your attitude, your grammar and your wording proves that. Either that or you're uneducated.

Learn to stop.

Stop derailing the topic

Words to live by. Let's get back on topic.

Be quiet...when you learn to look at screens properly maybe I'll take you seriously.  I already said you're a waste of my time. 

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:06 PM Edited by Unoriginal Gangster, 15 November 2013 - 03:07 PM.

Ricky-Gervais-Laughing-GIF.gif
  • Finn 7 five 11 and bread like this

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

And my responses in the context are every bit as on-topic as the overwhelming majority of posts have been so far. I'm addressing a lack of clarity in your replies that resulted in a two-page argument largely composed of ad hominem attacks conducted by you against another poster whose only mistake was not realising your generalist statements were ones of opinion, primarily because you didn't caveat them as such.

I can entirely see where Finn was coming from when he thought you were making objective claims about whether or not black people could use a word commonly seen as insulting towards each other. It's clear now that this wasn't your intent but that doesn't excuse the aggression in your responses and certainly doesn't explain why you made the totally illogical assumption that, by questioning your reasoning behind his belief, he was stating that only black people have any authority to make statements on the issue.

The "you can't comment unless you're black" claim you alleged against Finn he never actually made- you just assumed that his questioning of the fact you appeared to make an opinion statement as if it were fact constituted this.

You then proceeded to call him sexist, imply he was ignorant and bigoted, claim his only intent was to start an argument, make out like you were the victim of his chauvinism when you actually escalated the argument by being downright offensive, finally topping it off by saying that because you're female he must be the instigator because obviously he only cares what women think when they agree with him. All of which, quite aside from being f*cking ridiculous, painted you in a very negative light and really just made it look like you couldn't deal with anyone questioning your views without slandering them or implying they were discriminating against you just for disagreeing.

I hope that's a little clearer.

Of course it was an opinion what else would it be...when did I state my opinion was fact. move on.

next....Finn said.

''If you are black you may freely criticize use of the word amongst blacks, but having black family members doesn't make you black and automatically give you the opinion of a black person on the use of the word...duh.''

So that means unless you're black you cannot criticize the use of the word among blacks...then I proceeded to go through my family history to inform him that there is black DNA running through this body and that it wasn't just about in laws or the 'black family argument' as he stated.  Digest that first....there's really no point in going on if you keep defending this nonsense.  Then Max said something to the nature of ....why are you using race to filter people's comments because it should be irrelevant.  Is it that hard?

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

Jesus Christ, you just don't know when to stop.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

Your statement was basically "black people shouldn't use the word because it's offensive". I'm paraphrasing, but that's not necessarily a statement of opinion. It could be interpreted as such but it would be equally valid to interpret it as a general, blanket statement, as Finn did.

If you look at his response in the context of that interpretation, he isn't saying "you aren't allowed an opinion on the subject unless you are black", he's saying "you can't make general comments from the perspective of an entire racial groups without belonging to that group". Which though still debatable at least makes some sense.

None of these are mitigation or even explanations for your behaviour.

Mr. House
  • Mr. House

I'm not good with people, but at least I'm not a racist

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

Having to read the last two pages is more offensive than the word ni**er

• sivispacem and bread like this

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:01 PM Edited by lil weasel, 15 November 2013 - 04:04 PM.

Seems you all have come full circle on the "N" words.

Maybe you should start now on the alternates?

Remember the great fictional detective characters... "Boston Blacky", "Sam Spade" and the "Shadow". (That is an old joke for those who are so warped that they can't see it.)

So, how offensive do you make Coloured, Darky, and Spade? You should have noticed that because of lack of use they have faded in the last 30 years or so. So it would appear that lack of use does fade the words.

Anyone remember the song "Darktown Strutters Ball"?

Anyone remember the radio program "Amos 'n Andy" and its TV evolution being demeaning to the Race.

Now, we get "The Browns", which isn't? Why?

How about, "Undercover Brother"? Was that made for the honkey or for Race image improvement?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

"Coloured" is still in pretty frequent usage and doesn't seem to be that offensive, but you could argue that it's a general term for anyone who isn't white.

"Darkie" is pejorative and always has been. Tends to be used by older generations of closet racist, mostly from working class backgrounds. See also, "bongo", "jungle bunny" et cetera. All offensive terns with a veneer of being jovial.

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

It's usually pre-teen children that use the term "coloured". It happened a lot in my primary school and teachers would have a little go at whoever said it when talking about a black, or more often, a Pakistani child. I haven't heard the term "coloured" from many teens or adults.

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

Your statement was basically "black people shouldn't use the word because it's offensive". I'm paraphrasing, but that's not necessarily a statement of opinion. It could be interpreted as such but it would be equally valid to interpret it as a general, blanket statement, as Finn did.

If you look at his response in the context of that interpretation, he isn't saying "you aren't allowed an opinion on the subject unless you are black", he's saying "you can't make general comments from the perspective of an entire racial groups without belonging to that group". Which though still debatable at least makes some sense.

None of these are mitigation or even explanations for your behaviour.

No I'm sorry...this was my first statement:  ''I strongly dislike the use of the word in most circumstances.  I don't hear other ethnic groups popularizing derogatory terms to identify themselves, to the extent that the 'N' word is, within their cultures and I don't think this word should be any different.''  Now I'm pretty sure that's an opinion.  You paraphrased it because indeed interpreting my statement in a way that allows you to call it a blanket generalization suits your purposes of defending Finn and even though you admit your paraphrasing it could still be seen as an opinion you're going with interpreting it as a blanket statement instead of how you know I meant it. And now I have to take your interpretation of someone else's statement and I should just accept that instead...no thanks.  It's really cute that you're playing guardian angel to Finn but please stop talking to me like I'm your child. I'm not looking for your approval in regards to my 'behavior.'

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

I like Finn, seems like a nice guy. But FirstLadyofGTA sure knows how to handle herself, without a doubt.

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:17 PM Edited by Dale Nixon, 15 November 2013 - 07:21 PM.

have the three of you nothing better to do this friday eve?

oh and, firstlady, sivi is an insecure man that only has the internet (this forum and others most likely) to boost his ego that is nonexistent in the real world.
but here, here he is aristotle.

i guess unoriginal gangster is someone with repressed daddy issues who wants to impress sivi and get a hug.

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

oh and, firstlady, sivi is an insecure man that only has the internet (this forum and others most likely) to boost his ego that is nonexistent in the real world.

i guess unoriginal gangster is someone with repressed daddy issues who wants to impress sivi and get a hug.

Ironic that you ask if we have anything better to do.

Dale Nixon
  • Dale Nixon

methane on my mind

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

i only just got online son. you fiends have been at this ego trip discussion for hours, if not days. not ironic at all. in about 30 minutes my ass is heading to a party where there will be lots of good booze and hopefully good women.

adios homie

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

I'm not referring to how long you may or may have not been online for. And why are you going on about your personal life as if anybody would actually give a sh*t?

I'd also like to hear an explanation as to how you could possibly think I was trying to impress sivi in the slightest. Is it just because you think I'm trying to get some thumbs up from an OGA member? Whatever the reason, you're wrong and have horribly mistaken my agenda; not that I have one.

bread
  • bread

Grown conventionally and organically worldwide

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

i only just got online son. you fiends have been at this ego trip discussion for hours, if not days. not ironic at all. in about 30 minutes my ass is heading to a party where there will be lots of good booze and hopefully good women.

adios homie

Your Chuck E Cheese's fest does not count, try again.

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

theadmiral
  • theadmiral

Founder And Opening Batsman: Vinewood Cricket Club

• The Precinct
  • Trinidad-and-Tobago

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

What an insightful, mature addition to this thread.

bread
  • bread

Grown conventionally and organically worldwide

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

What an insightful, mature addition to this thread.

Constantly reproaching me is a waste of time, but if you are always bored with yourself then by all means carry on.  :lol:

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:18 PM Edited by sivispacem, 16 November 2013 - 08:25 AM.

Gotta side with Mockage here, the only thing sadder than moaning on the Internet is moaning about people moaning on the Internet. But hey, what do I know, I've got no life outside of this forum apparently.

First Lady, so you're claiming that this isn't a verbatim quote:

So you're saying that black people shouldn't use the word? That doesn't make any sense, besides, nigga isn't derogatory anyway, it probably began as satirical as someone mentioned and then became popular amongst the black continuity as a term of endearment.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying and it does make sense.  I come from an inter-racial family make-up and I'm well acquainted with the different opinions of the N word amongst the black population and that is the opinion that I take...and? 

Hmm. That reads to me as a pretty clear insinuation that you speak for the entire racial group. Could just be my interpretation (and Finn's, for that matter), could be how you've phrased it. And whilst it is paraphrased, you certainly agreed with Finn's question as to whether you were prescribing whether black people should use the world or not. It's there in the first six words of your response, clear as day.

Still doesn't excuse utter bilge like this:

Typical of an arrogant jerk you want me to be quiet so you can try and sound clever but you've already shown you're not.

...you wanted to stroke your ego failing to realize I could care less about what you think.

...but I guess you wouldn't grasp that being the arrogant individual you are.

There's nothing silly about being a sexist p****.

The fact that you find it impossible for a born female to post in GTA forums says everything about you and proves that you definitely are not someone whose opinion I will be concerning myself with ever on this forum.

Mmm, real tactful.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

I should point out that a couple of my posts were very poorly constructed because my phone was malfunctioning allowing me only to type like 3 words per minute, so my post may have seemed slightly nonsensical, and as if there were some key words missing. you can probably tell which post that was, regardless, I admit it was a bit of a stupid post In a few ways.

First lady, I'm not even going to bother with the rest, I've made the decision to stop arguing because ironically you seem to lack comprehension skills/skip most of what i say I'll say this:

I agreed with Max's post because even though he may have illustrated the same point you did, he posted in a manner that left little room for confusion, unlike your, somewhat 'incomprehensible garbage' as someone put it.

Also, nobody is defending me, this is the internet, come on now, they're obviously picking on you because you're acting like a fool and as a side benefit I have back up.

tokyocean
  • tokyocean

Snitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

It's irritating how people think nigga is the N-word. They don't even know the difference between ni**er and nigga are the same. Contrary to popular belief, saying "nigga" isn't like saying "hustla." White people think black people say everything that ends with "er" as "a," but they don't realize black people actually mean "nigga" instead of "ni**er."

geobst
  • geobst

Midnight Toker

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

From what I believe, the only reason there's a difference between spelling is simply that of pronunciation, or at least that was the believed case originally.

SK1NJ0B
  • SK1NJ0B

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

Anyone that uses either of those words are trash. The End.

Piggsy pls
  • Piggsy pls

pls

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

Seems like it's mostly teens and kids who use it, no matter what ethnicity. I don't see it dying off anytime soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users