Quantcast

» «
Photo

Best tire type for high speed no brake turns in an Infernus?

38 replies to this topic
Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

R.I.P. in peace Aesthetic, you beautifully beta bastard you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

I just realized that it was my tuner tires that were making my Infernus turn so stiffly through high speed turns when not braking. (Full hard left or right on the analog stick, and the car would barely make like a 45 degree turn without slowing down at high speeds.)

I was just messing around with different tire looks in LS customs, and I wanted to see how a certain set of muscle tires would look in the light, so I drove outside. Much to my surprise, suddenly, I was able to whip right around corners that were previously giving me trouble prior to the installation of the muscle tires. I've been driving this Infernus non stop since I got it a couple of days ago with my stimulus money, so it was pretty easy to tell a difference in its handling.

Bearing that in mind, what would be the best choice in tire, for high speed cornering? Like, going through 45-90 degree wide turns, at around top speed. (Like freeway turn offs, and the various corners laid around the 4 lane roads. *see picture below) Something that will give my car, well, "give." Tires that will allow me to swing around corners, without loosing control, and pulling a 1080.

UgGeChF.jpg

I'm assuming that tuner tires are very gripy, so I'd need something with less grip, but something that won't loose complete control when I lean in to a turn. Slowing down n' hand braking and all that is fun, sure, but it often means I loose a race against my compatriots because the other cars in the race don't have to slow down for every turn.

Dasrouse
  • Dasrouse

#1 Super Guy!!!!

• Members
  • Kyrgyzstan

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

Wait, call me a noob, but are you saying wheel type affects the handling of a car? I thought wheel type was for looks, I always go with the custom tire.

Glockodile
  • Glockodile

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Wait, call me a noob, but are you saying wheel type affects the handling of a car? I thought wheel type was for looks, I always go with the custom tire.

you're more than a noob, you are a moron. Custom tire is not a type of wheel.

• ThaReefer likes this

eric91611
  • eric91611

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:51 PM Edited by eric91611, 11 November 2013 - 08:55 PM.

you're more than a noob, you are a moron. Custom tire is not a type of wheel.
HAHAHAHAHA
no but to answer your question custom tires just mean they have writing on them. You have to go to 'wheels' and 'wheel types' in the mod shop to change from off road(high traction) or sport(good for racing) for example.
  • abfirstr8 likes this

jnasty919
  • jnasty919

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

wheel types do not affect handling op is fa**ot

• EyeMacHunt, pr0n- and BoJack Cognac like this

D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

Sorry to break it to you but breaking is a must. That's unless of course you happen to be one of those idiots in races who never breaks, just smashes off the inside of the car that's cornering properly.

Lagful
  • Lagful

Certified Fresh

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:02 PM

If you are wanting to take corners at full speed then use a motorcycle...

who-dat
  • who-dat

Kim Jong Uh?

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

wheel type most certainly effects traction on paved/off-road surfaces.

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:36 PM

If you are wanting to take corners at full speed then use a motorcycle...

Funny, what should be a treacherous assasin vehicle is in this game the most noob friendly transportation method.

Well, not funny, depressing. More so if you like bikes.

Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:46 PM Edited by Omnifarious, 11 November 2013 - 09:46 PM.

Charming... If true, then riddle me this, why are there the same exact same sets of rims, in different wheel types? Hm?

Hypertion
  • Hypertion

Prankster

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

i found the High End tires seem to require less braking and have great cornering while maintaining speed. they are terrible if you need to brake tho.

• Omnifarious likes this

Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:02 PM Edited by Omnifarious, 11 November 2013 - 10:02 PM.

i found the High End tires seem to require less braking and have great cornering while maintaining speed. they are terrible if you need to brake tho.

Ah! Thank you for an actual answer!

VickissV3
  • VickissV3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:04 PM Edited by VickissV3, 11 November 2013 - 10:06 PM.

Charming... If true, then riddle me this, why are there the same exact same sets of rims, in different wheel types? Hm?

Because it's the look of the TIRE that is changing when selecting wheel type - not necessarily the rims. 

VickissV3
  • VickissV3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

Wheel type is entirely superficial. 

Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

I can confirm that it's not. I am unable to make the same turns with tuner tires that I can with muscle tires.

Chuki_91
  • Chuki_91

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

If you compare "High End" and "Sport" wheels to "Tuner" and "Muscle" you'll see that the sidewall differs.

High end & Sport have low profile tires while Tuner and Muscle have high profile tires.

I have no idea if this applies to GTA.

haythem09
  • haythem09

Honorbru Dispray

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

OR... You can brake.

Also if the Tyres affect the actual handling, the Muscle being better is just your illusion because of how terrible the grip is on Muscle tyres, of course meaning you can "Turn" at high speeds. While loosing complete control of your car.

And the tuner being the stiffest is just the illusion that tuner wheels are probably the grippiest.

Though to be honest I doubt wheels affect the actual handling and grip at all.

VickissV3
  • VickissV3

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

I can confirm that it's not. I am unable to make the same turns with tuner tires that I can with muscle tires.

You saying that isn't exactly "confirmation". You not being able to make the same turns could be because of a number of extraneous factors and not the wheel. Again, different wheel types DO NOT impact driving performance , as much as people want to believe it does. 

cloudfuel
  • cloudfuel

Clean Racer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

Omni - These guys are testing (rather scientifically) a bunch of things and they all agree that tires affect traction: http://gtaforums.com...eed-experiment/

TrevorsShoe
  • TrevorsShoe

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

I think some of you take vehicle modifications and performance a little too serious in this game. Its GTA not Forza Motorsport.

Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

You saying that isn't exactly "confirmation". You not being able to make the same turns could be because of a number of extraneous factors and not the wheel. Again, different wheel types DO NOT impact driving performance , as much as people want to believe it does. 

Top speed, exact line, turn at exact moment. Nothing different other than a fraction of an inch in the turn. Did each turn 20 times. Same result. Hit left wall of turn with tuner tire, made turn with muscle car. Always ended up in right inside lane with muscle tires equipped.

Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:45 PM Edited by Omnifarious, 11 November 2013 - 10:49 PM.

With the tuner tires, the car feels very stiff, it doesn't want to lift from the road. With the muscle tires, it gives way about half way through the turn, and the aft end swings out.

Edit: "It's almost like having bald tires in real life, the car slides around a lot."

Craigson
  • Craigson

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:43 PM

With the tuner tires, the car feels very stiff, it doesn't want to lift from the road. With the muscle tires, it gives way about half way through the turn, and the aft end swings out.

Edit: "It's almost like having bald tires in real life, the car slides around a lot."

Agreed. Tuner tires seem to keep to road better but wider turns

hitmanran97
  • hitmanran97

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:25 AM

Try a set of Off road tires on A Sports Car... Feltzer is what I tried it on and call me crazy but since I put them on the car is like a magnet to the road... Feels like I Loose a bit of top end but definetly handles better !!! Worth it .. Try it out , let me know if you found a difference   :evilgrin:

iPushYayo
  • iPushYayo

El Chapos Capo

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Go to lowriders rims select the $ rims, add chrome and call it a day. You'll win every race ;)

..GhosT
  • ..GhosT

GTAForums Veteran

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

The wheels are all the same, they dont handle different if you put others on it..

There are just different categories so you have it easy to find your type of taste.
  • pr0n- likes this

Nipper
  • Nipper

Proud TRiSKULL Leader

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:35 AM Edited by Nipper, 12 November 2013 - 10:42 AM.

The wheels are all the same, they dont handle different if you put others on it..

There are just different categories so you have it easy to find your type of taste.

Placebo is one powerful force to reckon with though. It's like the miracle of sugar pills healing people, but only because they believed the sugar pill to be some super drug that would fix them.

If you believe in the myth, you will see the differences in the handling, not because it is there, but because it is expected.

Do some benchmarking and you will see, tuner, off-road, whatever you like, is for looks. I have tried this, my Futo drifts the same with off-road tires as it does with tuner tires. That is to say, it doesn't.

Honestly, if they added the option to add a working LSD, then most of the cars would be able to drift, the physics are there, the LSD is not.

• VickissV3 and pr0n- like this

malcolmfunktion
  • malcolmfunktion

Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:11 AM

I presumed from the start that the tyres would and should affect the handling but when there was no change to the traction stat I just didn't bother and assumed it was purely aesthetic.

Will have to try it out for myself now...hmmm

pr0n-
  • pr0n-

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

Placebo is one powerful force to reckon with though. It's like the miracle of sugar pills healing people, but only because they believed the sugar pill to be some super drug that would fix them.

If you believe in the myth, you will see the differences in the handling, not because it is there, but because it is expected.

Do some benchmarking and you will see, tuner, off-road, whatever you like, is for looks. I have tried this, my Futo drifts the same with off-road tires as it does with tuner tires. That is to say, it doesn't.

Honestly, if they added the option to add a working LSD, then most of the cars would be able to drift, the physics are there, the LSD is not.

909s.png I agree people are stupid

Racer__X
  • Racer__X

@DeejayJeanP

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

909s.png I agree people are stupid

Why stupid? The dude is right

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users