Quantcast

» «
Photo

Why Option C can not work. (MAJOR SPOILERS!)

39 replies to this topic
TrevorFuqsAshleyInHerButt
  • TrevorFuqsAshleyInHerButt

General Anal

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Everyone with some brain cells left would pick Option C. Who really wants to get rid of a playable character you build up with skills, clothes, cars and followed the story? 

But Option C makes the whole game obsolete. Everything you did after the jewelry heist was mainly for Devin Weston and Steve Haines.

Wei Cheng and Stretch are just cannon fodder. 

But the whole game you run along and play ball to satisfy Haines & Weston.

If Mike & Trevor are really so pissed and dislike them, why they don't kill'em right away?

Trevor kills lots of people without remorse, criminals, peds and feds.

He could just pop Haines & Weston right away.

This Mike-Trev-Frank-conspiracy against Haines & Weston could have started right away.

But no. 

The end has to be dramatic like in Breaking Bad, with either Mike or Trevor dying.

Option C is an utopia of an ending.

Hollywood Happy end.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

I do somewhat agree with you. While I chose option C for the sake of keeping all the chatacters, I think it just defeats logic and all conventions of good story telling.

Out of all the ending, Option A seems like the most reasonable and logical. Remember how apesh*t Trevor went after Franklin just laughed at him for tripping over the fence? Everybody just thinks of that scene as something for comic relief, however I think it was written in to show Franklin how mentally unstable Trevor was. Even if Franklin liked him, I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to continue a long-term criminal partnership with someone like him.
  • TrevorFuqsAshleyInHerButt likes this

FireBallz21
  • FireBallz21

The Ultimate Question: Doctor Who?

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

Edit your post on the part that says: 

Spoiler
because some people haven't watched the ending.

• TakinThyBacon likes this

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:41 PM Edited by John The Grudge, 11 November 2013 - 12:49 PM.

I suppose they hadn't considered killing Haines and Weston until the end.  If they killed them at the start then there would be no story.

In GTA the story comes second to gameplay.  For that reason it makes sense that all the player controlled characters survive.  If you were to write a realistic ending for the game then all three protagonists would get killed or arrested.  I'd also like to defend happy endings.  A miserable ending isn't more artistic or dramatic by definition.  What's important is that it's done well and makes sense in the context it's in.

If a finely crafted story is what you're after then you will never ever get that in a GTA game.  As far as they go though GTA V is quite good.  It has good dialogue and more interesting characters than previous games.  It's not even close to the level of craftsmanship seen in the best TV shows (Boardwalk Empire for example) or films though and it's unreasonable to expect that.

Maybe in the future we'll see more AAA games that are driven more by story than gameplay and then we might see a higher standard of writing but that's some way off.

This topic brings Mafia II to mind.  I think the slightly more linear nature of that game afforded it more freedom with it's story.  They didn't have to make allowances for gameplay to the extent that GTA does.  I think it's story unfolded in a more dramatic and compelling fashion than GTA V's as a result.  Mafia II had a proper ending without having to worry about free roam after the credits rolled.  In Mafia II they could have killed the protagonist if they wanted.  GTA is about accumulating money and farting around it's world.  You can't really allow for that and not have an improbable story.

DisasterMaster13
  • DisasterMaster13

Anarky Bitches!

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Option A doesn't make sense either. Why the hell would Trevor run away from Franklin, I'm pretty sure he would kill him instead. Plus I see Option C as Franklin overcoming his fatal flaw which is always looking for the easy way out.

Shah Sam
  • Shah Sam

Shah

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

But Option C makes the whole game obsolete. Everything you did after the jewelry heist was mainly for Devin Weston and Steve Haines.

But the whole game you run along and play ball to satisfy Haines & Weston.

If Mike & Trevor are really so pissed and dislike them, why they don't kill'em right away?

Trevor kills lots of people without remorse, criminals, peds and feds.

He could just pop Haines & Weston right away.

This Mike-Trev-Frank-conspiracy against Haines & Weston could have started right away.

Yeah, let's kill eveyone right away because they're giving us some work to do.

Maybe Michael and Trevor hated Haines and Devin, but they're not stupid. They knew that FIB and Merryweather would try to kill them if they killed Haines and Weston. But when both of the antagonists wanted Franklin to kill Michael and Trevor, they couldn't just let it happen, they had to do something... And that's why they killed them both in the C-ending.

• Jacob-B and weirdkerr like this

roostersrule2
  • roostersrule2

I'm Batman

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

Wei Cheng I forgot about him haha, I think a lot of people missed the Sleeping Dogs easter egg there, the protag in SD was Wei Shen.

UndraftedTalent
  • UndraftedTalent

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:09 PM

dude... I just got on to season 5 of breaking bad, not cool, not cool at all brah 

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Street Cat

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:10 PM Edited by Hooves07, 11 November 2013 - 03:11 PM.

So you say...But here is MY issue with option A or B...why in the hell would anyone side with Weston or Haines? Frankling double crossing anyone makes him the KING of RATS in the kindom of rats. As far as the clash with Michael and Trevor, after the end if you hang out with Trevor he explains why he did not kill Michael and his true feelings on the Brad situation. If the story had better writing it would have been better for a scene to be included in the end game to ressolve the issue right there.

Franklin has no real motive to kill Michael (or Trevor). They both made him rich. Why do it...because Devin Weston and Steve Haines says so? Option A or B makes you into a f*ckin hand puppet with either Haines or Weston elbow deep in your ass.

fish61324
  • fish61324

Soldier

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:22 PM Edited by fish61324, 11 November 2013 - 03:23 PM.

Spoiler

That's me. I have never watched 1 minute of breaking bad. I was kind of hoping to start watching from the first episode some time soon.... but now I pretty much know what happens at the end..... thanks to the f**king ahole OP

• AndrewDeSanta and UltraGizmo64 like this

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Street Cat

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:29 PM Edited by Hooves07, 11 November 2013 - 03:37 PM.

Spoiler

That's me. I have never watched 1 minute of breaking bad. I was kind of hoping to start watching from the first episode some time soon.... but now I pretty much know what happens at the end..... thanks to the f**king ahole OP

You might want to go ahead and start watching...I started the show during the last few episodes of the final season. Even now main pages like Yahoo and Google will show spoilers. I am still waiting for the final 8 episodes to drop on Netflix (should be this month). A show that popular, it's going to be impossible to avoid spoilers from the considerate people of the internet.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

Option A doesn't make sense either. Why the hell would Trevor run away from Franklin, I'm pretty sure he would kill him instead

You want to talk about people acting out of character in this game, how about Terry and Clay? These two were two thirds of a full on assult against a maximum security prison, but they run away from a dirtbag like Trevor, even when Terry had as much (if not more) military experience as Trevor.

727gta
  • 727gta

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

Spoiler

Get a grip. You've never watched Breaking Bad and you were "kind of hoping to start watching" it. He didn't reveal any details about how it ends. 

• Startug likes this

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:47 PM Edited by cp1dell, 11 November 2013 - 03:49 PM.

I swear to f*cking god, that everyone who claims that C makes no sense probably just read a summary or watched it on YouTube, and never actually played the game.

Trevor, Michael, and Franklin never had a chance to kill Haines and Weston before. It's why they went the whole route of letting someone know they were "melting gold at the factory" and kill Haine and Weston's goons. Nobody would think they would walk away from that, and they had the perfect chance to make their move right then and there.

Haines and Weston had the three protagonists by the balls the whole game, all because Michael decided to rob the jewelry store and come out of hiding. He had to work with the FIB so they could continue their deal. Michael brings Franklin along because he claims he is going to teach him sh*t. Trevor sticks around because he's tormenting Mike, and wants to bust Brad out and he needs Michael's help.

Then Haines wants our protagonists to work with a good friend of his, Devin Weston. That was also part of the deal. They could never get rid of Weston because Haines wanted the three guys to do sh*t for him.

It's only until the end of the game where the guys have done their part, and Haines and Weston no longer have a use for them. Yes, it was wrapped up really quick, but don't say that it makes no sense. There was no way they could have done what they did earlier in the story without getting killed or thrown in jail.

• TheMasterfocker, Jacob-B and weirdkerr like this

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Drunk on Power

• United-States
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:58 PM Edited by Spuds725, 11 November 2013 - 04:02 PM.

I will ditto the above explanation... by cp1dell

If you really want a useless story-- play San Andreas again-- the antagonist in that story could have been taken care of long before...

Sorry this is OT--- but Breaking Bad is not at all about the ending--- the show is about Walt's journey and IMO they should have ended it after season 4-- which was a much better ending for the series IMO... with an awesome ending line.

There is no Breaking Bad spoiler in this thread-- if you watch the show you will know why-- I can't explain it further without indeed putting out spoilers.

Regarding netflix-- For the previous 2 seasons, it was full 10 months after they aired each season before they put them on netflix. I hope you don't have to wait that long.

Waldie
  • Waldie

Private Dick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:59 PM Edited by Waldie, 11 November 2013 - 04:00 PM.

Option C is the only one that does work.

In options A and B, aside from the fact the characters are horribly written and out of character, they just don't make any sense. For example, if you kill Trevor, why the hell does Weston just seem to forget about Michael? And vice versa.

Taking both parties out seems to be the only logical way of dealing with the situation. Considering the rest of the game and some of the crazy missions, I really don't think the end is all that far fetched. And while I have nothing against sad endings, killing off a main character isn't a necessity for making a good ending.

As for not killing Haines and Weston earlier:

They had no reason at all to kill Weston early on. It wasn't until Molly was killed and he began his vendetta campaign against Michael that he became a problem. 

Haines was a high profile FIB agent. Bumping him off wasn't something to be considered lightly. They didn't need that kind of heat and Michael and others must simply have thought it better to go along with his demands - but of course, eventually he pushed them too far.

• Shah Sam likes this

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

I think Rockstar were trying to trick us by making Trevor slightly annoying towards the end of the story so that we would contemplate choosing option A.

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

In options A and B, aside from the fact the characters are horribly written and out of character, they just don't make any sense. For example, if you kill Trevor, why the hell does Weston just seem to forget about Michael? And vice versa.

Taking both parties out seems to be the only logical way of dealing with the situation. Considering the rest of the game and some of the crazy missions, I really don't think the end is all that far fetched. And while I have nothing against sad endings, killing off a main character isn't a necessity for making a good ending.

As for not killing Haines and Weston earlier:

They had no reason at all to kill Weston early on. It wasn't until Molly was killed and he began his vendetta campaign against Michael that he became a problem. 

Haines was a high profile FIB agent. Bumping him off wasn't something to be considered lightly. They didn't need that kind of heat and Michael and others must simply have thought it better to go along with his demands - but of course, eventually he pushed them too far.

"Haines was a high profile FIB agent."

The dude had his own f*cking TV show. The FIB had their own file on him and Michael, which is why they needed to break into the HQ.

Yeah, and Weston was just another job for Haines in the beginning.

There were tons of reasons as to why everything couldn't happen until the end. I don't agree that it was a good idea to have it all packed into one mission, but it still made sense and worked.

I will ditto the above explanation... by cp1dell

If you really want a useless story-- play San Andreas again-- the antagonist in that story could have been taken care of long before...

Not to play devil's advocate, but Smoke was in hiding the entire time. He ran CJ and his family out of Los Santos. Had Tenpenny working for him to keep him busy. CJ had no idea where or what Smoke was doing until he could get back to Los Santos.

• Jacob-B likes this

Shah Sam
  • Shah Sam

Shah

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:13 PM Edited by thebodies, 11 November 2013 - 04:16 PM.

Good post, just a little bit information:

If Frank kills Trev, he will receive a call from Haines, announcing that Merryweather has lost its licence to operate in the state.

Weston can't kill anyone without Merryweather.

If Frank kill Mike, he will receive a call from Weston, informing Franklin that he's already contacted Haines' superiors and ensured that he would not come after Frank for not killing Trevor.

I'm assuming that Weston told Haines' superiors about his illegal and corrupt activities. This would probably make him lose his job, and maybe even his TV-show.

Therefore, ending A (kill Trevor) would be the only ending where Haines' lives happily ever after.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Have you actually seen/played the aftermath of either of those endings?

Ending A: Merryweather loses it's ability to operate within the state, sending Devin bankrupt. Thus losing his influence and ability to go after Michael.

Ending B: Franklin has Devin talk Haines's supperiors talk him out of whacking Trevor, since Devin has enough influence in the F.I.B (still doesn't explain why Cheng doesn't try to finish things with of though)

Waldie
  • Waldie

Private Dick

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:34 PM Edited by Waldie, 11 November 2013 - 04:36 PM.

Okay, fair enough. I'm wrong - I actually didn't know that. The truth is I didn't even stick around till the end of the credits for A and B as they left a bad taste in my mouth and wanted to rush back to the comfort of my "C" ending.

It still sounds weak and a bit tacked on though, as does the whole multiple endings thing. It worked in IV, felt forced here.

kasheku
  • kasheku

Somewhere in LS

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

The OP never really gave the ending of BB away. For those that are crying, you can stop

as for the topic, i chose C because there were still a few side missions for all my characters and i wanted to experience it in full. 

• Startug likes this

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Tech Knight

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

I guess they didn't kill Hains and Weston because they are very high up in the ladder and killing them would just end up screwing all of them into a corner. The reason they did kill them in Option C is because they were already screwed in a corner, Both Heins and Weston want Michael or Trevor killed. By this point all three of them thought "screw the ladder" because they would be dead if they didn't do anything. It was kill or be killed at this stage. And by the end they still got the chinese to worry about but marryweather backed off because its owner Don Percival is thankful that they killed Weston and the FIB would also back off because without Hains, Dave Norton could regain control and convince the other agents to stop pursuing the trio.

At the end, was the ending a cop out? 

- For me its half and half, on one hand they did manage to kill 4 high ranking criminals and officials within hours, but on the other hand. It wasn't just one guy doing it but 3, much like the rest of the game they went in and did it as a team. For the crew that managed to rob the union depository, it wouldn't be far-fetched to think they could coordinate to do this. I mean damn, if you played the mission "Multi Target Assassination" Franklin managed to kill 3 of the biggest stock holders in the city with only Lester to help him. 

When all is said and done, Option C fits the games tone perfectly and screw the masochists that always want a sad ending.

TakinThyBacon
  • TakinThyBacon

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for the BB spoiler op!

• TrevorFuqsAshleyInHerButt likes this

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Why didn't John Marston shoot the first government agent who came across his doorstep?

Why didn't Niko just shoot Faustin and Dimitri for hurting Roman? 

Why didn't Tommy just kill Diaz the first time he suspected him?

Why didn't CJ just shoot Tenpenny at the donut shop? 

Why didn't Claude go and find Catalina while they were both stuck on the same dang island and the bridge was out and it was somehow illegal to cross the water? It's a small island.

Why didn't Vic Vance report his superior for the illegal stuffs?

Why didn't Tony... I don't have one for Tony I never got far in LCS. 

We can always ask why, but sometimes the stupid things have to be done in  order for a story to happen. In this case, Michael wanted to go back into retirement after this blew over, Franklin had decided to help Michael and not run from the consequences of their actions, and Trevor thought they were going to release Brad from prison. After they realized none of this was going to happen, they turned on these people and pretty much just closed off all loose ends in one swift go. Probably too swift but it was still a fun mission IMO. 

kasheku
  • kasheku

Somewhere in LS

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

Thanks for the BB spoiler op!

And what spoiler was given away? Drama much?

Want to get spoiled?

Spoiler

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

I think C was infact the canon ending.

Whether or not it "works" is insignificant. That being said, I agree with the OP, to an extent. 

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

I think C was infact the canon ending.

Whether or not it "works" is insignificant. That being said, I agree with the OP, to an extent. 

Yeah. I mean, you see it in the artwork and trailers. And I mean c'mon, the game is focused on the three-character dynamic. There's also the fact that some activities are exclusive to the two characters that can be killed. At least in another one of Rockstar's games you didn't lose any content.

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Thug

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:27 PM

I think the C ending is the real one, but there's still something "wrong" in it... In nord yankton both Michael and Trevor point their gun at each other, but no one can shoot. This shows that there's still some respect between them (in line with the C ending). But then, when the Chinese goons arrives, Trevor trows his gun at michael to escape, but michael SHOOTS Trevor directly  (missing him just because he's already over the fence).

We can see this as a simple "cinematic moment", but the fact that Michael had no remorse killing Trevor, even for a brief moments, still shows that Michael see Trevor as a treath, and I really have an hard time thinking that a simple "sorry, forget the past" speech ( they both briefly apologize during one of the friend's activities) is enough. 

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

Well at the melting factory Franklin walks in on them both in a heated argument, they're still pissed at each other.

I've hung out with Trevor as Michael quite a few times, and Trevor is still constantly bickering about how Michael is fake, how he's fat, etc. It just doesn't go away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users