Does anyone think the driving in IV feels more "natural" than

67 replies to this topic
Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Does anybody else feel like the driving in IV feels more believable, natural, and maybe funner than in V?

I personally like a challenge when driving. I like the fact that some cars have excessive body roll, some understeer, oversteer, et cetera. I like actually feeling the car when I steer. In V I just cannot feel anything when I steer. I just point my car wherever I want to go and it goes there in a snap without any feedback, challenge, not even a sense of understeer -- hell it seems every car oversteers if you drive them the way you're supposed to. The driving in V may be funner for a lot of people but for someone who's been able to adapt to many other types of driving games, V just doesn't feel fun. It feels too fun, way more unsophisticated, and just not that natural at all.

• Tycek, UltraGizmo64 and theGTAking101 like this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

I'm feeling something similar and because of that I'm usually driving muscles, which can give you at least bit of the IV fun or off-road cars. Truth is that due to the change of physics most "city" cars became terribly boring. It's exactly the same to drive Tailgater, Felon, Jackal and Taxi. IV physics were just cooler and more challenging. 

• theGTAking101 likes this

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

it has nothing to do with a regression , that's just an hardware issue . i'm pretty sure handling on PC version of V will be far better than on consoles and even maybe better than IV one , which is/was already very good

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:29 AM

Yes. I spent a good hour playing GTA IV just racing. I like that not picking braking points will likely end up in a massive screw up. GTA V by comparison is just generic "Plant the accelerator and don't worry about brakes too much".

GTA IV punishes bad driving and I must admit it makes me laugh when people complain about crashing into everything. GTA IV's driving physics are very error sensitive. You have to know how to control certain cars in different situations. GTA V on the otherhand is like every car having mega downforce with the occassional tail happy moment.

Sure maybe the suspension in GTA IV isn't that realistic, but it gives every car a distanct feel. You're likely to get a similar driving experience in GTA V driving a Voodoo and a Cheetah apart from acceleration and top speed. GTA IV's is raw, unforgiving and more for driving enthusiasts. GTA V's is for casual acrade racers IMO.

• jpm1, StormerBoy, theGTAking101 and 3 others like this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:18 AM

Agreed. :^: And yeah the suspension was a little overdone in IV, but at least there was one. In V there isn't one. There is no body roll, no sense of weight. And the ride, every car looks like it has a choppy ride. The most luxurious car in the game, the Cognoscenti Cabrio, looks like it has the ride of a cheap and rusty old Tornado. Have you noticed the cars slightly shaking/vibrating when you take them for a drive on a highway. Its like they have poor build quality.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:24 AM

Agreed. :^: And yeah the suspension was a little overdone in IV, but at least there was one. In V there isn't one. There is no body roll, no sense of weight. And the ride, every car looks like it has a choppy ride. The most luxurious car in the game, the Cognoscenti Cabrio, looks like it has the ride of a cheap and rusty old Tornado. Have you noticed the cars slightly shaking/vibrating when you take them for a drive on a highway. Its like they have poor build quality.

It's most likely due to the increased grip, but it also makes every chassis feel like it was spot welded in a matter of minutes.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

It's not even near realistic/believable, V's system is more realistic overall. But I did find it a little more rewarding to reach top speeds, which I do not with V, especially since they introduced a "crash too hard or from a certain angle and you'll explode" thing. I preferred V's driving in the long-run but by no means did I find IV's driving bad, just different. I especially loved how IV's physics affected bikes, it was the first (and last) GTA where bikes were my favorite vehicle.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:00 AM

It's not even near realistic/believable, V's system is more realistic overall.

Please explain how its more realistic? I don't see how these features are realistic:

• sports cars climb hills better than SUV's and basically offroad better
  • there is no suspension at all
  • there is no weight shifting
  • you can turn at 100+ mph without problems
  • anywhere you point your car, it'll go especially without feel
  • it's forgiving in every way
  • the braking is too good to be realistic. If you buy the best brakes for a supercar, it'll stop from 210-0mph in like 100ft. Most decent performance cars these days can't even stop in 100ft from 60-0mph
  • there is no steering feedback
  • you can't really drift
  • awd cars still have traction issues during takeoffs when they should have almost effortless takeoffs
  • almost anything that isn't a performance car is an absolute bore to drive with handling that feels like an over exaggeration on how poor the car's performance is. The Hakumai, Willard, Vigro, et cetera from IV were all poor when it came to speed but boy were they fun to drive
  • almost every car feels the same except for acceleration and top speed

I can see how you enjoy V's handling more, but how is it more realistic? Quite frankly it isn't. IV's handling isn't realistic but it isn't far off from realism. V's handling is far more unsophisticated and that is why I feel like you're bullsh*tting.

• P2FX likes this

MarlonBrando
  • MarlonBrando

The Driver

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:46 AM

I disagree. I  personally think the driving in GTA IV sucks, to be honest. It's like driving a boat, on land. The driving in GTA V is not necesserily good. but alot better. And the thing about IV that sucks even more, is the engine sounds. Every damn car in the game sounds EXACTLY the same. 

Don't get me wrong GTA IV was a great game, just saying that the driving was not good. 

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

I disagree. I  personally think the driving in GTA IV sucks, to be honest. It's like driving a boat, on land. The driving in GTA V is not necesserily good. but alot better. And the thing about IV that sucks even more, is the engine sounds. Every damn car in the game sounds EXACTLY the same. 

Don't get me wrong GTA IV was a great game, just saying that the driving was not good. 

How exactly does every car sound the same? GTA V has repeat sounds too, but that's when I can actually hear them.

They're so quiet you need to get a custom exhaust or turn down the music just to hear them.

Someone must've placed a pillow over various exhausts during sound recording.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:53 AM Edited by DeafMetal, 11 November 2013 - 08:01 AM.

It's not even near realistic/believable, V's system is more realistic overall.

Please explain how its more realistic?

IV's problem was that the physics were exaggerated. Sports cars handled like 1960s Sedans when they in fact are more likely to handle like V's cars. Mid-tier cars could not accelerate to a certain point. Things like that that I think are more big picture than the small picture from V's mechanics.

V's cars had more realistic responsiveness depending on the car. A sports car will feel more responsive than a sedan. My car is fairly old. It's an early 90s sedan. My dad's car (well, the one he uses the most now) is a lot newer, it's a mid 2000s sports truck. Even with it being a lot larger than my car, the responsiveness is a lot more apparent: my car takes more effort to turn than does his. I can only imagine how more responsive a top-of-the-line modern-day sports car is compared to mine. V represents this albeit pretty exaggerated.

V also has a little bit more realistic speed physics: low/mid-tier cars can reach top speeds over time, while in IV, they couldn't. Not only that, the turns at high speeds in IV were completely unrealistic. Sure, your car's gonna flip the f*ck over if you're going 160 mph and steer the wheel immediately, but as someone who spends most of his driving time at 65 mph+, I can tell you that cars aren't gonna flip over just by slightly tilting at higher speeds. Hell, I've driven at ~120mph (I was a naughty boy), and the steering was fine as long as I kept the steering steady and didn't make any sudden movements. In IV, at the slightest tilt at high speeds, your car would flip sh*t.

As far as offroad vs sportscars, I agree there for the most part, but I will say that generally, with offroad cars, I can climb mountains at a slow pace compared to having to hold the pedal to the floor with sports cars. Also, you can't really use this as a one-up on IV since there wasn't much countryside to test this out in it.

And a lot of your bulletpoints are opinions.

tumblr_lzxh8c6q871qld79f.jpg

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:01 AM

Driving in IV was decent, it just needed a few more tweaks to make it work better. some vehicles handled perfectly while other were horrible to drive, especially in the tight streets and corners, and liberty city was full of them. on highways it was real fun to drive cars, but sometimes the car would flip too easily, they should have fixed that instead of completely butchering it in V.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Godfather

• Australia

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

I'm not even sure I'd call GTA V's remotely realistic. As soon as you get airborne you can control the car in the air like it's a f*cking plane.

Are we forgetting this? Neither is what is call realistic. I've been driving since 2003 and have driven everything from slow grocery getters to ball tearing V8s. Though I feel GTA IV leaned more to that direction than GTA V does.
  • Fallcreek likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:34 PM Edited by StingrayX, 11 November 2013 - 02:37 PM.

I'm not going to lie, but I doubt most of you all have even driven a car on it's limits. Driving a boat? Ever heard of body roll? Overexaggerated? Only the body roll is exaggerated! V has more realistic response?

Ugh, lets just agree to disagree folks. :yawn:

@DeafMetal, they're not opinions. That IS what happens when you drive in V.

kvic
  • kvic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Without a doubt the driving in 5 is too sensitive and the cars them self are way too stiff and programmed.

AGiganticLlama
  • AGiganticLlama

Huge Llama Destruction!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:19 PM

Did everyone forget cars weigh like 2 tons? Of course it's gonna stick to the ground, it's a car.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

Did everyone forget cars weigh like 2 tons? Of course it's gonna stick to the ground, it's a car.

You don't know how cars work, do you? Do you even know what "sticks to the road" means outside of your ignorant/simplistic view of it as shown in your post?

FasterThanYou
  • FasterThanYou

Soldier

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

When you pick a racing game and you hit stuff on the inside of corners more often that stuff on the outside of them, the game is bad.

When you pick a racing game and you have to do certain things that challenge all you know about car dynamics in order to go fast, the game is bad.

GTA5 is a bad racing game.

Everything overperforms. You only drive something remotelly similar to a car when you drive a muscle car or a classic sportscar under the rain. There´s not a single real ground vehicle that can match the braking and cornering performance of most cars in this game. 

• Sting4S likes this

MarlonBrando
  • MarlonBrando

The Driver

• Members

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:59 PM Edited by MarlonBrando, 13 November 2013 - 03:00 PM.

I play Gran Turismo 5, which is a great driving simulator if you wanna call it that. And I can say that the driving in GTA V could have been better yes, but I still think it's alot better than IV. And don't tell me I'm a 12 year old who has no idea, I'm not 12, and I have driven a couple of different cars IRL. (Mostly american) So I think I have just a slight idea of what it should be like in games. 

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

The only thing V is more realistic at, from my experience, is... not going to lie there isn't really anything I can think of.

From my experience, IV is more like driving in real life. The lack of weight shifting in V is odd because if you observe the way cars steer in real life, you'll see body roll is prevelant -- boatyness in other words, lol.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

agree Rockstar f*cked up the driving in V pretty badly

EL_FUGA
  • EL_FUGA

THE DAMNED

• Members
  • Nauru

Posted 13 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

Agreed. IV is better in most aspects. I would just port Los Santos city and vehicles into IV et voilá, there you got the perfect GTA.

Saint.
  • Saint.

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:44 PM Edited by Saint., 13 November 2013 - 06:46 PM.

People tend to forget that with IVs driving physics in V,you'd have people complaining about rolling over the hills and being able to drive over "tough terrains". Hell you might not even make it to the top of any hill,lol

IV was mostly based in a city,where the driving is ideal. 

Though I do agree that IVs driving did have more of a challenge to it,thus making it more fun,it probably was overhauled because of said situations and maybe even limitations.

It takes a bit to get used to,but it's still an awesome game once you're used to the driving :D

tikhung01
  • tikhung01

Maybe we're just sleepwalking....

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

" I dontt leik gta4 hadling cuz iz liek drivn a boat"

- comes from a 12 years old boy.

ShootPeopleNotDope
  • ShootPeopleNotDope

long live anarchy

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:50 PM Edited by ShootPeopleNotDope, 13 November 2013 - 06:51 PM.

I really like the driving in IV, but much like V, I hated it at first. I remember playing IV for the first time and just slamming into everything, as I was so used to the 3D era handling. It was pretty God damned annoying. Eventually, the handling/physics grew on me, as I progressively got better at maneuvering through traffic, estimating braking before turns, etc.. Escaping from the cops in GTA had never felt more rewarding.

Then V comes out, and it's the same old song and dance, again I was disappointed. Everything just seemed to handle too well, and cutting corners just wasn't the same as it was in IV. But, here I am, almost 2 months later, and I find myself spending more time on the highway in Blaine County dicing through traffic at 100+ mph than I do anything else. To me, it's just as satisfying as hanging sharp turns through Algonquin with the pigs on your heels.

There's pros/cons to the driving in both games, but it's not impossible to appreciate each for what they are. Having said that, IV definitely has a more realistic feel, but we're talking about GTA here. Is there anything realistic about any GTA game?

• Mr. Madness likes this

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:07 PM Edited by StingrayX, 13 November 2013 - 07:14 PM.

People tend to forget that with IVs driving physics in V,you'd have people complaining about rolling over the hills and being able to drive over "tough terrains". Hell you might not even make it to the top of any hill,lol

IV was mostly based in a city,where the driving is ideal. 

Though I do agree that IVs driving did have more of a challenge to it,thus making it more fun,it probably was overhauled because of said situations and maybe even limitations.

It takes a bit to get used to,but it's still an awesome game once you're used to the driving :D

To be honest I would rather the unforgiving physics of IV. Additionally, off roading is, believe it or not, easier in IV with the proper SUV. In V, the physics are all f*cked up and driving and SUV up a hill is worse than driving a FWD Surge Electric Car up a hill. The suspension is what helps SUV's but since it is gone in V, SUV's are now pretty useless off tarmac.

@Above: That happened to me too, but vise versa. I loved V's driving at first, but slowly grew bored and slightly annoyed with it. Yeah it is arcade, but isn't GTA supposed to appeal to a large crowd. I'd like a mix of IV and V's physics at the least, albeit I would prefer just IV. I tried to appreciate V's handling. That worked for 3 weeks. :(

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:31 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 13 November 2013 - 07:43 PM.

When I got GTA V at first I loved the improved straight line speed, but soon afterwards I got really bored by how every car felt the same and how boring corners were. It's kind of a let down that all cars handle the same now. I remember how the Banshee, Comet, Infernus and Turismo etc, all had a different feel to them. It is when I started fully tuning fast cars in V that I started to understand the appeal of the new driving. Maybe if they'd made the handling in V like in IV, with the improved straight line speed, you'd crash into cars in traffic and fly out of corners constantly (even if you were a good driver).

I think that maybe they should've made the differences between the handling of supercars and regular cars bigger, because I do enjoy the fact that I don't constantly crash with a really fast car, but I'm annoyed that it's boring to drive slow cars. So slower cars should have worse handling to make them more fun, because the faster the car is the more difficult it becomes to not crash. So they should gradually bring back IV handling depending on how fast the car is..

By now I've started to get used to the GTA V driving, and are starting to forget what I'm missing, so I'm cool with it now.

Edit: and oh yeah, the offroading abilities of cars in V are completely stupid. It's crazy how easily you can climb the steepest ledges with any vehicle. Offroading feels boring and childish.

Edit2: I don't give a sh*t about 'realistic'. I think they should implement whatever is most enjoyable gameplay wise. I don't get the realism obsession.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:12 PM

@Above, semi-realism is fun to some people you know. Since when is it a fact that fun and realism are not the same? But anyways, IV wasn't necessarily realistic, it was sophisticated and fun, that is what I love about it. It has some realistic features, but those are fun for me personally.

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

@Above, semi-realism is fun to some people you know. Since when is it a fact that fun and realism are not the same? But anyways, IV wasn't necessarily realistic, it was sophisticated and fun, that is what I love about it. It has some realistic features, but those are fun for me personally.

Yes, but people always act like it's 'realism=always best', which I don't agree with. In previous comments people were talking about steering cars in the air. Well maybe I like that I can steer cars in the air. That's important to me gameplay wise. I really don't care that it's unrealistic. With driving it's the same thing. Make it challenging and enjoyable in the context of the rest of the game. That's what matters.

• Sting4S likes this

MarlonBrando
  • MarlonBrando

The Driver

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:41 PM Edited by MarlonBrando, 14 November 2013 - 05:42 PM.

" I dontt leik gta4 hadling cuz iz liek drivn a boat"

- comes from a 12 years old boy.

I wanna ask you a question. I need you to answer it as honest as you can. Okay, here goes:

Are you stupid? Or just retarded? If so, I'm very sorry to bother you, please continue with your life.

This is a serious question, please answer it.

Further more, I don't think we're getting anywhere. People will think differently. And that's that. I doubt people will change their opinions because someone else states that the other has better driving physics.

• B Dawg likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users