Quantcast

» «
Photo

Are the cars in GTA V somehow licenced by real brands? I mean...

40 replies to this topic
Mop__Stick93
  • Mop__Stick93

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

This thread really warmed up my testicles...please continue...

jameznash
  • jameznash

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:13 PM Edited by jameznash, 13 December 2013 - 08:15 PM.

I have been thinking this for a while.

If you look at the list of cars:
BMW have quite a few vehicles including the mini (BMW Owned)
Audi (INCLUDING LAMBORGHINI) and Porsche both represented quite a lot
Bentley as well

Many of the bigger vehicles look very similar like the baller, plus American SUV / Pickup truck types.

If R* have not been paid to include these then I will be amazed.

These companies have there brand in lots of racing games, but also many violent Movies which you would think a brand would not want to be related to mass murder - BUT THE DO. Because it all adds to sales.

WIN ON SUNDAY - SELL ON MONDAY

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

^ Well you just answered your own query. What other cars is R* supposed to include parodies of if not the ones we see in real life? Sure they could invent completely original cars with no similarities, based on brands they made up, with design languages they made up, but A: the graphics aren't good enough yet to create something truly striking and B: they'd have to hire some pretty amazing designers to outdo the real-life designs we all know and love. GTA is about parody and originality is not synonymous with parody. Might as well ditch the parodies of real brands too like Sprunk if they were to do this. That's the irony: too much like a real car: no parody; too original: no parody. Needs to be just right.

Anyway the Penumbra is so similar to a Mitsubishi Eclipse it's amusing. Surely Mitsubishi are peeved about this? What I'm wondering is how R* will handle car interiors next-gen (not an issue now as cars share extremely low-poly interiors)? Will they mix and match real interiors like they do with exteriors or will they just use real interior designs of a car? Will that be grounds for a lawsuit?

Celticfang
  • Celticfang

Playa

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:53 PM

I have been thinking this for a while.

If you look at the list of cars:
BMW have quite a few vehicles including the mini (BMW Owned)
Audi (INCLUDING LAMBORGHINI) and Porsche both represented quite a lot
Bentley as well

Many of the bigger vehicles look very similar like the baller, plus American SUV / Pickup truck types.

If R* have not been paid to include these then I will be amazed.

These companies have there brand in lots of racing games, but also many violent Movies which you would think a brand would not want to be related to mass murder - BUT THE DO. Because it all adds to sales.

WIN ON SUNDAY - SELL ON MONDAY

Having dealt with car makers before with licensing for another game.........

What you put isn't true sadly. Part of me wishes it was but that's life..

No because IF they were actually licensed, the car makers would have a lot of sway in how GTA's made and what's in it.

Forza/GT5/6 != GTA V. Can you go into the crowd in Forza and kill people driving an RS500 or a Focus? Nope.

So tell me a game that Ford is in where you can run over pedestrians? None.

That's because Ford as part of their licensing agreements forbid that thing from happening completely. In the X360 version of Alan Wake they had the devs go back and redo a car crash scene because it didn't match how Ford wanted them to look (realistic enough)

From my own experience I can tell you that car companies do not EVER license themselves to games where pedestrians can get injured or killed, or where drivers can get injured or killed. Or where the passenger cell of the car becomes crumpled, or the car catches fire (the sticking point for one license was that, even when it was pointed out other cars in the game showed smoke the company n question wouldn't okay it without a lot of effort)

Or where the protags can drink/do drugs and then drive.

As for movies, the car makers have a lot of say in what goes into a movie script (or game script, see Ford and Alan Wake) or doesn't go in.

Oft-cited example, imagine if GTA 6 got official Audi and Lambo licensing (unlikely but.....) and a cutscene came up where the player's car spun out an antagonist's car, totally 100% cutscene, no player control....

So while Audi might be okay with a cutscene in which a player's car spins out an antagonist, Lambo may want that scene removed or redone to the antag getting arrested. In the end the car makers hold the power. They effectively say our way or not at all and redo the vehicles. That could also screw up any deals for future titles (MCLA 2 for example)

it's screwed up but it's licensing

Also, you simply can't, due to the way the VW group works, get one license for the whole group. You have to get a seperate Audi license, a seperate Ducati license, a seperate Lambo license, and each come with their own terms and agreements.

Each car maker wants their car represented in a different way. Do you think GMC or Jeep or whoever would have been okay with the Franklin mission where you go and repo Jimmy's car? I doubt it, it'd make the brand look bad to be associated with insurance fraud and deliberately crashing through a building.

Same with Ford and running over people.

Lastly, you got to consider platform exclusivity on consoles.

For instance.....let's say Ferrari makes it in but they're already under contract on the X360 side of things. This happened with Atari and TDU2, they had to cut cars from that version of the game, while the PS3 had the cars in question in the game. (The X360 version by the way made up for the missing Ferrari..........with a Spyker)

ezfaun
  • ezfaun

Drive

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

The carbonizzare from GTA V is spot on similar to the Aston Martin V12 Zagato and the Blista Compact from GTA IV is almost exactly the same as the 1st gen Honda CRX

2e4hhrc.jpg

Savo7en
  • Savo7en

Prankster

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

heard it on good authority that Jaguar-Landrover definitely paid to ensure that their likenesses were used in GTA V

SkylineGTRFreak
  • SkylineGTRFreak

Blackhawk lover

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

I'm still amazed by the Coquette. I mean, it looks damn similiar to the C7 and by the time we saw the first screenshots of it in GTA V, the real life C7 was barely revealed...

• ZHPbim likes this

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

I'm still amazed by the Coquette. I mean, it looks damn similiar to the C7 and by the time we saw the first screenshots of it in GTA V, the real life C7 was barely revealed...

The smaller Baller has the same side vents as the new Range Rover as well. It wasn't released long ago...

I wonder how R* does it. Wish they could have done the same with the W222 S Class.

cpear760
  • cpear760

GTAO Junkie

• Members

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

Corrected Dinka to equal Honda. But that grill just seems VW to me. After a google search, I can see the Honda in there now.

But that's just it, the entire world of GTA is parody this, parody that, so why not the cars be parodies of real cars?

While we can argue all day what car is what, I'm happy with the variety available. Although the compact category could use some help.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:08 AM

I guess you don't get in trouble for ripping off car designs in video games too much, since you're not actually a competitor manufacturing cars. You're not going to buy GTAV instead of a car.

ZHPbim
  • ZHPbim

Snitch

• Members

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:38 AM

About the coquette. It's pretty obvious Chevy was involved with GTA. For R* to make a car that looks nearly identical to the c7 vette makes it pretty obvious. The C7 was revealed AFTER GTAV came out. Not only that, but R* obviously had to design the car way before the real version was unveiled. They did that by working with Chevy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users