Quantcast

» «
Photo

Are the cars in GTA V somehow licenced by real brands? I mean...

40 replies to this topic
Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I mean some of them look a lot like real cars this time. Especially those BMWs, the Elegy (Skyline), the Porsche Cayenne... In previous games they were still noticeably different but in V they look almost exactly like real ones. Did Rockstar Games somehow make an agreement with real life car brands to make such close looking cars? Otherwise, can those real brands complain about them using those similar cars?

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:45 PM Edited by Tycek, 09 November 2013 - 07:16 PM.

Real car manufacturers can't complain, because these cars are a bit different. I agree that Zion is very close to M6 BMW, but still not close enough to be licenced. Rocoto or Elegy are quite far from the real counterparts. 

zielarz119
  • zielarz119

Peon

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

I mean some of them look a lot like real cars this time. Especially those BMWs, the Elegy (Skyline), the Porsche Cayenne... In previous games they were still noticeably different but in V they look almost exactly like real ones. Did Rockstar Games somehow make an agreement with real life car brands to make such close looking cars? Otherwise, can those real brands complain about them using those similar cars?

I hate how they are look like real cars. I prefer to have cars similar to real ones like every GTA. Real cars are boring and just copying from real life. If I wanted to drive Buggati I would do this in real life, not in the game.

Wardone
  • Wardone

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

I hate how they are look like real cars. I prefer to have cars similar to real ones like every GTA. Real cars are boring and just copying from real life. If I wanted to drive Buggati I would do this in real life, not in the game.

Yeah alright me too. Let me just go and check on my BUGATTI VEYRON.

What you wrote was the funniest reason to dislike something that I have ever seen.

• ExitiumMachina, Doland J. Trump and ThroatSlasher2 like this

Drake1212
  • Drake1212

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:51 PM

Most cars in the game is actually a mash between two real car-designs. As long as Rockstar just makes cars that resembles real cars they cannot be sued.

@zielarz119: GTA V contains over 100 cars. Try making 100 car designs which does not resemble anything from real life. YOU CAN'T.

Gutslab
  • Gutslab

Bustre

• Members
  • Bhutan

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

u87UkUVm.jpg

• Sakurai Aoi and PlasmaFLOW like this

Dodgers2013Champs
  • Dodgers2013Champs

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

u87UkUVm.jpg
Rofl ! I literally spilled my drink and scared my dog
  • tom_p1980 likes this

Ravey Davey
  • Ravey Davey

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:15 PM

The front ends might look the same, but the back end will be different, or the shape of the roof, or the doors or something. They would definitely get sued if it was an exact replica.

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

u87UkUVm.jpg

LMFAOO that was my exact reaction when I read his bullsh*t

InvisibleSoul
  • InvisibleSoul

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

If Rockstar had agreements, the cars would actually BE called the real names and look exactly like the real cars. The fact they don't should be a pretty clear indicator that they do not have any licenses.

However, I'm sure there have been other games in the past that have used exact copies of real life cars but called them fake names due to lack of licenses... not sure if they got sued though.

Rainbow Party
  • Rainbow Party

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:21 PM Edited by Rainbow Party, 09 November 2013 - 07:24 PM.

If Rockstar had agreements, the cars would actually BE called the real names and look exactly like the real cars. The fact they don't should be a pretty clear indicator that they do not have any licenses.

Yeah I know but I thought that maybe they wanted to keep the fake names just for tradition (since fans would complain if they suddenly switch to real names) but somehow make the cars look way closer to real ones, maybe even to test the reactions before a future GTA with real life cars (yeah, I know this is extremely unlikely :p ).
And yeah, I agree with the others that some have the front of one car and the rear of another so I guess the companies won't bother trying to sue them.

RainbowBier
  • RainbowBier

BenefactoR*

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

Tailgaiter

Baller old

Baller new 

the only cars i instant know what the car looks like cause they look like that

Gingersnaps
  • Gingersnaps

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:12 AM

A lot of them are VERY similar.

I also like how Michael's car i clearly an Audi. And you can tell because the badge is the same as Audi's 4 rings, just cut in half horizontally lol.

cpear760
  • cpear760

GTAO Junkie on XBOX

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:47 AM Edited by cpear760, 16 December 2013 - 11:08 PM.

Here's my translation of GTA brands to real world:

Albany - Cadillac, Lincoln, Pontiac GTO
Annis - Nissan
Benefactor - Mercedes-Benz
BF - (VW kit car, VW van)
Bollokan - Hyundai
Bravado - mostly Dodge, some GMC
Canis - Jeep
Chariot - Cadillac
Cheval - Chevrolet
Coil - Tesla
Declasse - Chevrolet
Dewbauchee - Jaguar F-type, Aston Martin
Dinka - VW Honda
Dundreary - Cadillac, Ford
Emperor - (generic crossover)
Enus - Bentley
Fathom - Infiniti
Gallivanter - Range Rover
Grotti - Ferrari
Imponte - Pontiac
Invetero - Chevrolet
Karin - Toyota
Lampadati - Jaguar XF
Maibatsu - Mitsubishi
Mammoth - Hummer
Obey - Audi
Ocelot - Maserati
Overflod - Koenigsegg
Pegassi - Lamborghini
Pfister - Porsche
Schyster - Chrysler
Truffade - Bugatti
Ubermacht - BMW
Vapid - Ford
Vulcar - (generic wagon)
Weeny - MINI
Zirconium - (generic wagon)

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:15 AM Edited by ThroatSlasher2, 13 December 2013 - 02:16 AM.

@Above: Just a quick fix, Lampadati is actually Maserati while Ocelot is Jaguar (Jaguar and Ocelot are both cats).

Yeah alright me too. Let me just go and check on my BUGATTI VEYRON.

What you wrote was the funniest reason to dislike something that I have ever seen.

Sure why not, after that, come take a ride in my Bugatti Atlantic Type 57. Cost me 10 millions but, meeeeeeeeeeh whatever.

@OP: I prefer by a pretty large f*cking marge cars that look realistic than Saints Row type of cars. While GTA V's vehicles look like cars I could see on the streets and buy, SR cars look like f*cking Hot Wheels toys. If you ask me, the choice is easy.

Tony Trollucci
  • Tony Trollucci

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:17 AM Edited by Tony Trollucci, 13 December 2013 - 02:18 AM.

Here's my translation of GTA brands to real world:

Good list. but Dinka is Honda. You already have VW for BF

CloseEncounters
  • CloseEncounters

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:04 AM

The copyright law of a design only applies if the intended purpose of the design is being copied as well. What I mean is that if an automobile is designed with the intention of being manufactured, even just potentially, then another person or organisation of people cannot manufacture an automobile from that design unless the copyright has been sold or liscensed to them. As Rockstar or it's parent organisations are not manufacturing actual automobiles, only digital recreations, then it does not apply.

What does apply is trademark law, but, as they do not use real world names for anything that can be trademarked, they are not breaking it.

qfs
  • qfs

Quffy

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:05 AM

I'm not sure if I'd like GTA future series to have everything correct branded. And if it did, those companies would have to pay RockStar for the massive publicity they would do to such brands.

mayiio
  • mayiio

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:27 AM

First of all I don't think dodge would like to see a charger running over people or being used as a weapon why did you think in midnight club they used real cars and u couldn't run over people this is only for those sayin that rockstar doesn't have a license cause for rockstar money isn't a problem they just don't want to make a good game boring

motosyko
  • motosyko

xXx

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:41 AM

Enus is rolls royce.

Bentley is coggnescenti (sp?)

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

Whole name is Enus Congnoscenti, so Enus is clearly manufacturer based on Rolls Royce/Maybach. 

Mroz
  • Mroz

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

It really wouldn't surprise me if car manufacturers payed rockstar to re-imagine the in game companies. The Obey logo is so similar to the Audi logo it's not even subtle. And I seem to remember the Official audi twitter posting something about the DB9 being in V with a screen from the first trailer. I just found this on the GTA wiki too: The name alludes to the founder of Audi, August Horch. "Horch", meaning "listen", becomes "Audi" when translated into Latin, "listen" being closely related to "Obey".

It's genius really. Advertising products by creating something similar.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Whole name is Enus Congnoscenti, so Enus is clearly manufacturer based on Rolls Royce/Maybach. 

There's a bit of Bentley in Enus also. 

WorldWideFM
  • WorldWideFM

Trick

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

I see Michael's black Tailgater driving down the road almost every day. Some of the cars really look very similar. I see a lot of Ballers too, I suddenly get that thrill that I'm about to make $9k, and then I remember I'm in the real world - so I can make even more than $9k!

• TheStranger_NL likes this

hhamzah99
  • hhamzah99

Call me.. Heisenberg.

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

anus

high91
  • high91

Eminem- Infinite-1996-313

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:07 PM

anus

suna :)

Apex.
  • Apex.

Alright?

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think one of the main reasons Rockstar doesn't use in real life brands in GTA games is because I imagine car companies don't want people rolling around in their cars doing rampages and completely smashing it up, would probably give the company a bad name if they allowed that.

Besides I'd rather GTA had fictional brands, I prefer it that way because they satirize the f*ck out of them. (Which is probably another reason as to why there are no IRL brands, they won't get to take the piss out them lol)

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

I think one of the main reasons Rockstar doesn't use in real life brands in GTA games is because I imagine car companies don't want people rolling around in their cars doing rampages and completely smashing it up, would probably give the company a bad name if they allowed that.

Besides I'd rather GTA had fictional brands, I prefer it that way because they satirize the f*ck out of them. (Which is probably another reason as to why there are no IRL brands, they won't get to take the piss out them lol)

I also like when they come up with car designs that are just a mash up of several cars. Like the Entity XF which takes from the Koenigsegg CCX, Porsche Carrera GT, Lamborghini Adventador, and I probably forgot another one too. It's just interesting to see what they imagine. I'd buy some of the cars in GTA V for real if they existed. (And if I had the money ..)

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

If you think some cars look exactly like what they are based off of, well do yourself a favor and put a photo of the real car beside it. No car in this game nor IV look exactly like what they are based off. The IV Sentinel came real close to an e46 M3 and the old Vapid coupe from IV-I forgot it's name- resembles an 80's Mustang very closely, but not eben close enough for a manufacturer to turn into dicks and sue or some sh*t.

The Surano has what looks very close to an F-Type front fascia, but it is too wide, the grill is different, and the hood lacks the F-Type's rather controversial snout. And, rather stupidly, the car wears a Mercedes paradied badge as opposed to Jaguar based Ocelot.
There was a car in the artwork that was a copy and paste of an Audi A5 prefacelift, but that never made it into the game.

The Rocoto is based off the Cayenne but the back and side profiles a different and the front fascia isn't exactly a copy. The Obey 9F is used a lot as an argument but that honestly is a stupid one. Please place the R8 and 9F right next to each other. The 9F has a different grill, headlights, has a longer wheelbase, and the rims are generic five-spokes, and the rear fascia is based off of a Noble N500-or something I think?
  • ThroatSlasher2 likes this

hooma
  • hooma

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

It's free advertising, if anything R* should ask for cash from the auto companies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users