Soft Body Physics for the next GTA?

8 replies to this topic
Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:21 PM

For those who haven't seen it, this is what I am talking about:

So assuming that something like this is capable on next gen consoles, would you like to see it implemented in the next GTA?

To be honest this could go either way for me. I mean, I enjoyed the driving physics in IV a lot more than the arcade-ish driving in GTA V, so I feel this could go very well (plus it would actually give people an incentive to actually learn to drive as opposed to just driving like an idiot). However, I could see a lot of negative backlash from fans.

PooyanCyrus
  • PooyanCyrus

iFruit fanboys are idiots

• Members
  • Mars
  • Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

THIS IS NEEDED if they want to put a female protagonist in!

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:29 PM Edited by Joe Chip, 09 November 2013 - 01:29 PM.

It looks good, but I'd be worried that cars would break after a few hits (like they did in the video), and that it might be a pain in the ass to drive recklessly. In one part of BeamNG's demo video (http://youtu.be/KppTmsNFneg?t=36s) the front wheels get lodged up underneath the driver's seat after a head-on crash against a wall. GTA V is already pretty annoying with the car deformity, and soft-body physics look like they'd make it even worse.

Aside: The guy in that video is really dumb. If you're gonna demo a physics engine demo don't treat it like any other game; know what the f*ck you're talking about, and redo the scene when you screw up so that you can actually show off the physics! :angry:

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

The car models would need more polygons, which would mean a heavier weight and, therefore, they would be more difficult to run by the game.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

Maybe as an optional mode. Only because you would be totaling cars all the time. I have that game and I enjoy it, but it is nowhere near being perfected. It is not uncommon to get graphical errors and crashes from time to time. An example would be how sometimes when a car deforms a part of it will be stretched. A good example of this was posted on Youtube by a GTAForum user just today.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3SgooP7FlpI

Sasqui
  • Sasqui

Gangsta sh*t

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:00 AM

It all depends on preference, really. Do you prefer super realistic driving(this)? Boat-like driving(IV)? Something in between(V)?
As 018361 said, the modes should be optional.
  • 018361 likes this

ThatGuyWhoMakesThoseThings
  • ThatGuyWhoMakesThoseThings

Scrawny Git

• Members

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

Not really. The cars bend like they're made out of tin foil. It wouldn't work in a game like GTA anyway. I'd hate to spend $25000 tuning and modifying an ultra rare supercar just to make one wrong turn and have the car be completely totaled.

tapz63
  • tapz63

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think it would be awesome and bring a whole new aspect to the driving rather than just flat out. But each to their own.

~Joseph~
  • ~Joseph~

Pro Racer |2-1 Ratio|

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:52 AM

They did kind of ruin the body physics in this game, they are too hard. In GTA 4 the cars were perfect because they damaged easily like real cars. Physics aren't realistic in this game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users