Quantcast

» «
Photo

How would you rate the writing in GTA V?

58 replies to this topic

Poll: The Writing in GTA V (142 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate the writing in GTA V?

1. 1 (5 votes [3.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.52%

2. 2 (1 votes [0.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.70%

3. 3 (5 votes [3.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.52%

4. 4 (12 votes [8.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.45%

5. 5 (9 votes [6.34%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.34%

6. 6 (11 votes [7.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.75%

7. 7 (38 votes [26.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.76%

8. 8 (21 votes [14.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.79%

9. 9 (20 votes [14.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.08%

10. 10 (20 votes [14.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

5 out of 10 - perfectly in the middle as dialogues are good, satire is good, but the whole scenario is just not interesting and weak. 

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

As good a story as the complete IV, with a lighter tone but as dark a heart.  9 out of 10

omer19992010
  • omer19992010

Grove Street OG

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:24 PM

I gave it four cause all of the plot holes...
Seriously how did Trevor knew that was Michael doing that jewelry store heist?

Did you pay any attention to the story at all?

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

I'm back as a changed man.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

I gave it four cause all of the plot holes...
Seriously how did Trevor knew that was Michael doing that jewelry store heist?

Because of Michael's catchphrase line.

Trevor69
  • Trevor69

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

I loved the dialogue, the characters were entertaining. But the story was inconsistent.

dtsmucker
  • dtsmucker

CTID

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:59 AM

sh*t.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade Corporation
  • Italy

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

A cold, hard 7. 8 and 9 are reasonable, but those who vote 10 are just fanboys.

I love the consensus on this forum.

"If you like any part of the game, you're a fanboy"

Good to know pal.

Hmm, that's funny. Last time I checked I did not say that. I find it a bit over the top to say the story in V was perfect. Personally, no game that I have played has been perfect in any subject.

SubtlyAgressive
  • SubtlyAgressive

Camper

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

I didn't like Franklin's script.  Sounded too 'pretend ghetto' - ironic, I know.  But I liked Lamar's lines.  Those were funny.

Echolex
  • Echolex

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

My opinion:

The writing is a 9/10

The story is a 5/10

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:53 AM Edited by TonyMontanaCDL, 23 November 2013 - 05:58 AM.

I gave it a four. The writing is very terrible.
Rockstar needs to spend some of that billions they made from the sales and hire some writers, I'm telling you.

For a series based on a parody of the criminal underworld, it barely feels like GTA anymore with a super serious storyline being the main focus of the games now.

The characters are either too serious or the typical run off the mill stereotypes to the point it's not even funny.

I felt the dialogue was overkilled. How much more you want to make it so we know Michael and Trevor aren't friends anymore? Just how much more serious can it all be? Then a few minutes later it's meant to be comical. The storyline suffered the same problems from GTA IV with an identity crisis in comedy and drama and it's draining to the player.

People complained about the stereotypes over Vice City with characters like Umberto, but they were not meant to be taken seriously at all. They were funny in their own way cause they came off like caricatures rather than "I'm a hardcore gangster! I will kill you!" like we seen from Martin Madrazo or the Arab car dealership that actually screams "you hate me cause I'm Arab". I could go through the entire game listing poor cardboard cut out characters like this, but I'm not going to waste my time.

These funny type characters are also what were the few memorable things from GTA IV. Like Packie, he comes off funny instead of serious unlike the other characters that are just too hardcore like Ray and Pegorino were to the point they can't be funny. This was one of the things that made the stories in the older games more fun to play through. You just know it's a parody of real life crime and none of it is meant to be taken seriously. By turning the series into a way more serious thing, they messed a lot of this up.

The way the characters are written are so sloppy. Why even bother giving Michael a family if you're going to base them off the typical Hollywood American family stereotypes? Then there is the negative black stereotypes surrounding the ghettoized characters. Lamar and the rest of them just can't be 'hood enough while we have the usual conspiracy theorist shouting Illuminati and NWO nonsense like those annoying idiots do in real life.

The story in general is a mess and I'm not even going to go there. if you want to use three protagonist, next time make them all in the same gang or whatever. All the bickering and bitching back and forth between Michael and Trevor was stupid and draining.

The writing has never been "great" for these games, but it was at least "good" in a sense of humor and parody before GTA IV was released.

To put it simple; Rockstar needs to stop humanizing these characters to the point you are supposed to feel sympathy for them and root for them cause this guy got screwed over back then and this one lost his friends in the war, and that one lost his Mom.

The thing is i don't give a f*ck about why I should like CJ, Niko, Michael or Trevor cause they had some bad moments in their history. In Vice City Tommy Vercetti killed a woman in a payphone mission. The point is, they didn't humanize him and make him into this "he's a bad guy but he's a good guy" type character like they have done since then. In a sense, Tommy never had any of that working for him, the game implied he was a killing machine and that was that. For a game named Grand Theft Auto, I expect the protagonist to be a psychopathic murderer just trying to make money. Not some constantly using the excuse 'I got a family' or whining about a war or some other dumb sh*t.

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:58 AM Edited by 2281, 23 November 2013 - 05:58 AM.

Too many plot holes. 4/10

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:37 AM

For a game named Grand Theft Auto, I expect the protagonist to be a psychopathic murderer just trying to make money. Not some constantly using the excuse 'I got a family' or whining about a war or some other dumb sh*t.

So stick to playing GTA III or VC for the rest of your life. Why should the series tie itself down just because it's called Grand Theft Auto? I'm not saying make it a full soap opera, but I don't see what's so wrong with making the protagonists appear to be more human.

People look for more in a character than just homicidal tendencies and a lust for money. I couldn't imagine how stagnant and boring this series would've become if every other protagonist after Tommy had a similar personality.

Whilst I agree the story in GTA V was a bit of a mess I can't say I discourage R* for having a go at trying something outside of the comfort zone. The problem is with people like you is you live inside this time bubble and refuse to get out of it.  It's not 2002 anymore. Please join us in 2013.

• lazy. and GtaIvFanboy like this

Drake1212
  • Drake1212

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:06 AM Edited by Drake1212, 23 November 2013 - 11:08 AM.

The dialogue was pretty great, but the overall story lacked that big turning point. 
There were some moments when i began to think "This is it" - like when Michael meets Madrazo for the first time, Trever shows up at Michaels house, Trevor Kidnapping the Madrazo's wife, North Yankton showdown and Devin Weston's goons attacking Michaels family.

However, nothing really happened during these scenes. You expected something to happen (someone to die or something) but it all just worked out great in the end. I understand that Rockstar didn't want an IV-like story again (where everybody dies), but GTA V seemed just a little too peachy.

There was a lot of secrets between Michael and Trevor, but due to you being able to control each one of them, it was impossible to turn these secrets into plot twists.

Also, a some people in this thread talks about McGuffins and plot holes. You obviously don't know what a McGuffin is and please specify those plotholes you are talking about.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

The story was very average and a quite poor in some areas - the worst of all the GTAs to date. The story's structure and theme was a mess, it was all over the place, it couldn't fully decide what exactly it was supposed to revolve around. The protagonists and antagonists were nothing special, they were not that intriguing or interesting.

I'd say it deserves a 6.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

I give it an overall 9.5.

I liked the fresh new take of criminal enterprise they chose to tackle by going into the government corruption territory, and I really admire R* for not caving in to the San Andreas fanboys. They could've easily just done another generic gangbanging themed game to please the SA kids, but they chose not to, and they get great respect for that. The government corruption stuff coupled with the heist theme provided a great new angle which ultimately worked brilliantly.

The characters were really diverse and excellently acted by the VA's. The dialogue was beautifully written, and as I mentioned before, on par with Taratino's work in terms of the humour. Trevor in particular was a breath of fresh air to the series, and without a doubt the most hilarious and entertaining thing to happen to the GTA franchise.

The only reason it doesn't get a perfect 10 is because ot it's length being a little shorter than the other GTA's, but it's so far the best and most realistic of the GTA games.

• Officer Ronson likes this

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

I liked the fresh new take of criminal enterprise they chose to tackle by going into the government corruption territory, and I really admire R* for not caving in to the San Andreas fanboys. They could've easily just done another generic gangbanging themed game to please the SA kids, but they chose not to, and they get great respect for that. The government corruption stuff coupled with the heist theme provided a great new angle which ultimately worked brilliantly.

The characters were really diverse and excellently acted by the VA's. The dialogue was beautifully written, and as I mentioned before, on par with Taratino's work in terms of the humour. Trevor in particular was a breath of fresh air to the series, and without a doubt the most hilarious and entertaining thing to happen to the GTA franchise.

The only reason it doesn't get a perfect 10 is because ot it's length being a little shorter than the other GTA's, but it's so far the best and most realistic of the GTA games.

Ok I think I can respect your opinion on that goverment stuff hopefully its just this GTA but it has to be right? otherwise they would just

please the GTA V fanboys..

At least tell me you think that the antagonists were pretty weak

in comparison to Tenpenny, Sonny Forelli and Dmitri, Weston and Haines look ridiculous

Gtaman_92
  • Gtaman_92

Im Bool, Balm and Bollective.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:58 PM Edited by Gtaman_92, 23 November 2013 - 06:00 PM.

I will give it a 8. The storyline was not that spectacular but not too bad at the same time. One of the major flaws is the gangs playing a very small role in the story. The Families and the Ballas should of played a bigger role in the plot, it would of been nice seeing Franklin and Lamar working together to take out the Ballas and putting the Families on top instead of having Franklin whine about not wanting to be in a gang all the time. Another flaw is that the Antagonist in this game was laughable. I swear when I beat V I couldn't even tell who the true antagonist was.

Cilogy
  • Cilogy

SILL•uh•jee

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

I give it an 8. The writing of the plot definitely could have used more of a focus, otherwise it felt sort of messy. Plus, the game has like 5 different antagonists, and it's never clear which is the most important. It ends up like a big, awesome, blockbuster action movie.The action moves the story along and there's a bigger focus on the fun factor, while the story takes more of a backseat. I think it works for what Rockstar was trying to do.

Again, the best written parts are the satire and social commentary on American culture. Rockstar always nails this well and with GTA V, they've perfected it.

The performances by the cast are also excellent. The sloppy writing is compensated by the strong leads in Luke, Fonteno, and Ogg as Michael, Franklin, and Trevor. It's probably the best acting in a GTA game so far, and definitely among the best video game performances I've ever seen.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

Ok I think I can respect your opinion on that goverment stuff hopefully its just this GTA but it has to be right? otherwise they would just

please the GTA V fanboys..

At least tell me you think that the antagonists were pretty weak

in comparison to Tenpenny, Sonny Forelli and Dmitri, Weston and Haines look ridiculous

Mafia themes and "gangsta" stuff have been done numerous times throughout the GTA series. This was the first time we got a government criminality themed GTA. Yes we saw bits of it in SA, but it played a very minor role. This time, it took the very welcome spotlight, and all that 'hood crap took a backseat, because y'know, it's great to see fresh new angles in games.

So no, I wouldn't complain if we got it a second time, but perhaps have them go even deeper with it. I'd also like to see R* tackle the Mexican and Colombian cartels because y'know, it's a fresh new angle. But if I have to hear dialogue with "nigga" and "dawg" every 2 seconds, I'm going to go crazy.

In regards to V's antagonists: I agree that past GTA bad guys will probably be remembered more, but if a game gives me an antagonist that makes me really want to complete the game just so I can put that motherf*cker down, then I consider it to be a successful antagonist - and Steve Haines was exactly that.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

I gave it a four. The writing is very terrible.
Rockstar needs to spend some of that billions they made from the sales and hire some writers, I'm telling you.

For a series based on a parody of the criminal underworld, it barely feels like GTA anymore with a super serious storyline being the main focus of the games now.

The characters are either too serious or the typical run off the mill stereotypes to the point it's not even funny.

I felt the dialogue was overkilled. How much more you want to make it so we know Michael and Trevor aren't friends anymore? Just how much more serious can it all be? Then a few minutes later it's meant to be comical. The storyline suffered the same problems from GTA IV with an identity crisis in comedy and drama and it's draining to the player.

People complained about the stereotypes over Vice City with characters like Umberto, but they were not meant to be taken seriously at all. They were funny in their own way cause they came off like caricatures rather than "I'm a hardcore gangster! I will kill you!" like we seen from Martin Madrazo or the Arab car dealership that actually screams "you hate me cause I'm Arab". I could go through the entire game listing poor cardboard cut out characters like this, but I'm not going to waste my time.

These funny type characters are also what were the few memorable things from GTA IV. Like Packie, he comes off funny instead of serious unlike the other characters that are just too hardcore like Ray and Pegorino were to the point they can't be funny. This was one of the things that made the stories in the older games more fun to play through. You just know it's a parody of real life crime and none of it is meant to be taken seriously. By turning the series into a way more serious thing, they messed a lot of this up.

The way the characters are written are so sloppy. Why even bother giving Michael a family if you're going to base them off the typical Hollywood American family stereotypes? Then there is the negative black stereotypes surrounding the ghettoized characters. Lamar and the rest of them just can't be 'hood enough while we have the usual conspiracy theorist shouting Illuminati and NWO nonsense like those annoying idiots do in real life.

The story in general is a mess and I'm not even going to go there. if you want to use three protagonist, next time make them all in the same gang or whatever. All the bickering and bitching back and forth between Michael and Trevor was stupid and draining.

The writing has never been "great" for these games, but it was at least "good" in a sense of humor and parody before GTA IV was released.

To put it simple; Rockstar needs to stop humanizing these characters to the point you are supposed to feel sympathy for them and root for them cause this guy got screwed over back then and this one lost his friends in the war, and that one lost his Mom.

The thing is i don't give a f*ck about why I should like CJ, Niko, Michael or Trevor cause they had some bad moments in their history. In Vice City Tommy Vercetti killed a woman in a payphone mission. The point is, they didn't humanize him and make him into this "he's a bad guy but he's a good guy" type character like they have done since then. In a sense, Tommy never had any of that working for him, the game implied he was a killing machine and that was that. For a game named Grand Theft Auto, I expect the protagonist to be a psychopathic murderer just trying to make money. Not some constantly using the excuse 'I got a family' or whining about a war or some other dumb sh*t.

dude you are talking sh*t so what they are supposed to repeat the same type of protagonist over and over again??? WTF

Tommy Vercetti was a good protag but he would loose his uniqness if they made every protagonist a cold killer like him

They need to be different so that everyone has their own characteristics and background

Believe it or not not everyone turns into the life of crime because they want to build a empire

I suppose you would like COD because its the same sh*t over and over again

Rerxelend
  • Rerxelend

First Person Shooter Aficionado

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:05 PM Edited by Rerxelend, 23 November 2013 - 09:18 PM.

The fact that Michael, a middle aged career criminal, goes on a long tirade calling Trevor a "hipster" in one of the missions sums up how poor and out of place some of the writing is. And then there's the laughably forced "over the top" personality that Trevor has, all the while spouting politically correct nonsense such as how they need to include a homosexual in their group of criminals.

The dialogues between the three protagonists are insanely cheesy, and the story is pretty damn far-fetched. It would've been better if they had focused on a clear, traditional antagonist rather than having some FBI agent that they make fun of for wearing polo shirts and ordering them to do ridiculous heists be the main "villain". Then again, what about Devin Weston? The storyline is all over the f*ckin' shop.

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:09 PM Edited by Nameless Foot Soldier, 23 November 2013 - 09:10 PM.

A golden example of literature arts. And social expression. On par with Shakespeare.

Rerxelend
  • Rerxelend

First Person Shooter Aficionado

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:41 PM Edited by Rerxelend, 23 November 2013 - 09:42 PM.

TES Oblivion = 9. TES Skyrim = 3. GTA IV = 9, GTA V = 3. TES Morrowind = 11. Freelancer = 12, X games = 12...... Out of 10...  All my own opinion. I'll still bet a pound to a pinch of sh*t that most don't know anything about X, let alone Freelancer, without using a search device or a family member...

Gamer...You don't know the meaning of the word.

So anyone that doesn't know about some obscure, under-the-radar science fiction "space combat" game isn't a gamer? Funny how you say it's "All your own opinion" yet you then go on to attack anyone who doesn't know your f*ckin' sh*tty, niche Sci-Fi games.

I can bet you don't know Doom or Quake, which would make you an ignorant c*nt, especially if you call yourself a fan of shooter games. They even used Quake as a comparison when talking about a GTA game set in a 3D environment.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:44 PM Edited by Official General, 24 November 2013 - 10:17 AM.

So no, I wouldn't complain if we got it a second time, but perhaps have them go even deeper with it. I'd also like to see R* tackle the Mexican and Colombian cartels because y'know, it's a fresh new angle

@ niko bellic half brother

If Mexican drug cartels had featured heavily in GTA V, I'd have probably be much happier with the game's story and theme than I am now ( I've said this many times, which you always wanna ignore ). In fact, that was exactly what I was hoping for, long before the game came out. I had always wanted a Hispanic protagonist that had dealings with Mexican drug cartels and Chicano gangs in this GTA, and I did not really even wanted another black gangsta protagonist in this GTA because we already had that with SA with CJ. I even thought Franklin was Hispanic in the first trailer, and I was a bit disappointed to find out he was not. I just felt that since Rockstar insisted on putting another black gangsta theme in Los Santos again for V, then they should have made the most of it and made it just as exciting and interesting as it was in San Andreas, but with a modern, up to date twist on it. Nope, I got none the above, I just had to do with this cop/government stuff, -  I'm sorry but to me it just was not interesting or intrguing enough, and it was boring in many places. My idea of a great GTA story and gameplay experience is certainly not spending half of the game doing missions for cops and government agents, I don't care how nicely you sell and present it. 

Even then, I just don't think Rockstar approached that corrupt cop/federal agent stuff in the best way, it was not realistic enough and it was not well-written. I don't know, it just did not draw me in.

so far the best and most realistic of the GTA games.

No disrespect, but that is some laughable and serious bullsh*t (in my view). 

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

@OfficialGeneral

Yeah it was so realistic that you could shoot someone in the chest 76 times and they would still get up and limp away.

It was so realistic that the most minor crash someone would go out flying.

It was so realistic that Firefighters would give up in any call even if its real.

It was so realistic that a broken down Sprunk machine can still sell.

You're so full of sh*t.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:17 PM Edited by Official General, 23 November 2013 - 10:24 PM.

@OfficialGeneral

Yeah it was so realistic that you could shoot someone in the chest 76 times and they would still get up and limp away.

It was so realistic that the most minor crash someone would go out flying.

It was so realistic that Firefighters would give up in any call even if its real.

It was so realistic that a broken down Sprunk machine can still sell.

You're so full of sh*t.

Yeah, just like your bullsh*t comments that you like to dress nicely in italics. 

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

What's wrong with using Italics?

Right now I could be making even more bullsh*t comments about your pathethic wishes for another typical Guy who goes from the bottom to the top story.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:25 PM Edited by Official General, 24 November 2013 - 10:19 AM.

Right now I could be making even more bullsh*t comments about your pathethic wishes for another typical Guy who goes from the bottom to the top story.

Anyway, you are the RDF's Chief Of Staff, I expect nothing else but replies like this from you. Keep happily lickin' Rockkstar ass like you love to do (unpaid), and keep believing they can do no wrong. I'ma keep saying what I'm gonna say. I criticize GTA V and you don't like it ? Don't reply or use the ignore button. 

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

dude you are just such a big f*cking asslicker of rockstar

respect people's opinions about the game you f*ck GTA IV is better in some aspects thats what some (including me) say

you don't like it? f*ck off

• Official General likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users