Quantcast

» «
Photo

30 FPS vs 60 FPS

55 replies to this topic

Poll: 30 FPS vs 60 FPS (79 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose your destiny...

1. 30 FPS - choppy, but the visuals make that up well for me (9 votes [11.39%])

Percentage of vote: 11.39%

2. 60 FPS - deprived of the graphic potential, but the smoothness is what I appreciate more (47 votes [59.49%])

Percentage of vote: 59.49%

3. I don't care - never took much notice to this aspect (23 votes [29.11%])

Percentage of vote: 29.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote
slowhands111
  • slowhands111

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

Anybody remembers the racing game grands prix legends? Framerate is about 35-37 FPS, which is a good value. You can play this game in FullHD, but it's optimized for geforce cards, and you don't get smooth graphics even on stronger radeon cards.
GTA san andreas with framelimiter on is limited to 25 FPS, which isn't smooth enough. I replayed the game without framelimiter and a cheap radeon HD 5450 in full HD resolution (all graphic details low) some time ago, to my surprise with a good framerate 40-50 FPS and 30PPS when raining, which is still acceptable.

Forzum
  • Forzum

Fossy

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

Well I rather have 60, but It's not that much of a deal for me. 

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Personally, if you are playing multiplayer games competitively, anything less than 60 FPS is simply not acceptable.

yeah but most people are not playing their games competitively.

most people are casual.

and most people don't need / wouldn't even recognize the difference between 30 and 60.

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

Personally, if you are playing multiplayer games competitively, anything less than 60 FPS is simply not acceptable.

yeah but most people are not playing their games competitively.
most people are casual.

and most people don't need / wouldn't even recognize the difference between 30 and 60.

Yes, I understand that and that's why I put "Personally".

And no, most people "can" notice the difference between 30 and 60 FPS ( look at the link I posted).

Do people need 60 FPS? IDK, it's up to the individual. We are only few days away from the launch of next gen consoles and at least one console is able to do 60 FPS for games. I am pretty sure this will be the standard from now on.

30 FPS will be a thing of the past!

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:18 PM

30 FPS will be a thing of the past!

Certainly not. It's not like the consoles aren't capable to do 60 FPS. The case is with the developers - they will continually keep on struggling to make their games as technically advanced as it is possible, and the only sensible way to do this is by locking the frame rate at 30 FPS. It's gonna be a long road till the sweet 60 FPS will become a standard on the consoles. Really long road...

There's actually just a couple of next-gen AAA titles that are confirmed to be locked at 60 FPS: Assassin's Creed IV multiplayer (or, so they say), Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Killzone: Shadow Fall multiplayer, Metal Gear Solid V, and a bit more. Basically the rest is 30 FPS.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:37 PM

And no, most people "can" notice the difference between 30 and 60 FPS ( look at the link I posted).

I didn't say they "couldn't" notice the difference.

I said they "wouldn't."

most people wouldn't see the difference between 30 and 60 unless you actually sat them down and showed it to them side-by-side.

and even then most of them still wouldn't care one way or the other.

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:22 PM

60 FPS, otherwise everything looks as if it's stuttering. 60 FPS isn't even great by todays PC standards. You can pull off 120 FPS, which is even greater, definitely feels so much better, more responsive, more immersive.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

I don't even care. I can't tell the difference it is all the same to me.

agent17
  • agent17

Absolution

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

It's scientifically proven than the human eye can't see a difference past 7 fps. Trust me I'm a doctor. :p

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:43 PM Edited by lt_yao, 12 November 2013 - 02:43 PM.

It's scientifically proven than the human eye can't see a difference past 7 fps. Trust me I'm a doctor. :p

That's a bit of a piss weak statement in order to invoke truth.

Not to mention that what you said there is absolute bullsh*t.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Frame_rate

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:51 PM

That's a bit of a piss weak statement in order to invoke truth.

Not to mention that what you said there is absolute bullsh*t.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Frame_rate

Fella, you didn't catch his joke.

Shahid Ahmad says 1080p & 60 FPS combination will be "seen a lot" on the PS4: http://gamingbolt.co...-speed-concerns.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

.. - .----. ... / .- / .--. .-. .- -. -.- .-.-.-

• Members
  • India

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

You can't steal my title. As a fact, I can totally say that I see a lot of difference with a game running on 0 fps and the same game running on 8 fps. Trust me I have been playing GTA 4 since I was noob in PC configuration.

As for the 30 fps vs 60 fps, majority of people in this forum are console gamers and they haven't experienced much of 60 fps. So, the average people will go for 30 fps.

Pat
  • Pat

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

As for the 30 fps vs 60 fps, majority of people in this forum are console gamers and they haven't experienced much of 60 fps. So, the average people will go for 30 fps.

Actually, if you look at the poll, the amount of people voting for 60FPS outnumber the amount of people voting for 30FPS by almost a 5:1 ratio.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

The Mystic Peephole

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

You can't steal my title. As a fact, I can totally say that I see a lot of difference with a game running on 0 fps and the same game running on 8 fps. Trust me I have been playing GTA 4 since I was noob in PC configuration.

I used to play most games sub 30 fps low settings on my old crappy PC :p

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:26 PM

PS4 is going to have 1080p games with 60 FPS. Only Battlefield 4 is being used on 900p because they probably want to enchance the performance by a bit.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

.. - .----. ... / .- / .--. .-. .- -. -.- .-.-.-

• Members
  • India

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

Actually, if you look at the poll, the amount of people voting for 60FPS outnumber the amount of people voting for 30FPS by almost a 5:1 ratio.

The poll is just for opinions and surely everyone would love to play games on 60 fps, even I will do. But, most of the people in this forum don't have amazing PCs and will have only experienced 30 fps or below. Experience counts, not opinions. You can't just say a movie is amazing if you didn't watch it yourself, can you?

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

The poll is just for opinions and surely everyone would love to play games on 60 fps, even I will do. But, most of the people in this forum don't have amazing PCs and will have only experienced 30 fps or below. Experience counts, not opinions. You can't just say a movie is amazing if you didn't watch it yourself, can you?
I run most of my games at around 120-150 fps and I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps.
My experiences count!

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

Dying Light is going to run at 60 FPS. Hell f*cking yeah. Techland's designer said it's "absolutely doable".

If DL manages to do 60 FPS, then moreover games like Destiny, The Evil Within or Yakuza: Ishin should do that too. Hell, just look at Metal Gear Solid V - it's open world, visually very impressive, and it zeroes in on 60 FPS.

No excuses this time, developers!

fast and bulbous squid
  • fast and bulbous squid

you can call me... SUPERLIGHTDUSKMASTER99

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:35 PM Edited by Cloudee, 12 April 2015 - 11:36 PM.

Bump.

I'm tired some console players claiming that "the human eye can't see past 30 FPS", you'd have to be incredibly ignorant to believe that. Want proof? Go to www.frameratematters.com with a your computer, and tell me you can't tell the difference. Not to mention the difference will be ever so more apparent when actually playing a game and interacting with the environment.

With a relatively "untrained" eye, I was able to guess all of them correctly.

64734.png

Now, I'm not saying 30fps is absolutely unplayable. But 60 is so much more smooth and responsive, unless your eyes are broken or you're Ubisoft. It's sad that some current-gen console games are still aiming at 30fps, it just makes the experience less enjoyable. But I guess that's what you get with low-powered hardware.

• Android likes this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
  • Contribution Award [GTAF Weekly]
    Snap Battle Season 3 Winner [X360]
    The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:53 PM

Awesome! I got a 12/13.. not gonna lie but I accidentally clicked on the wrong monitor so that's why I did not get a perfect score. With tools like this, you can obviously see there's a major difference. I even did it without my glasses, just in case. 

• fast and bulbous squid likes this

Alexander
  • Alexander

luv y'all

• The Yardies
  • Venezuela

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:12 AM

I've seen so many videos of 60fps vs 30fps. Of course you can see the difference.

After an entire afternoon of watching vids of games at 60 frames I remember I said "Goddamn, all of my games feel so unreal". Console gamers (most pf them at least) are wrong about this.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

"Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?"

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:56 AM

I don't really care too much about the framerate of a game. As long as it's solid 30fps or 60fps, I'm fine with it.

GTA_fear
  • GTA_fear

There's a tip jar, jackass!

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 13 April 2015 - 07:17 AM

60 FPS feels unnatural to me. Everything looks miniscule and sped up. Don't understand the appeal of it, but maybe it's a matter of what one is used to.

Osho
  • Osho

High Roller

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

60fps gives you the feel of fluid experience over 30fps. To notice a good difference in terms of gaming one should play at 1080p or higher IMO. The most important difference is the input lag when you use mouse to aim and see the reaction on the screen. Unfortunately, its hard to best describe in words than actually feel that playing it practically, not easy to see the difference by even watching the videos to understand just how smooth and responsive, especially shooting feels to play on 60fps.
Its awesome!
  • Alexander likes this

esmittystud101
  • esmittystud101

You Sir, Do Not Praise The Sun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

Seems like to me on PS4 and Xbox One atleast, developers are hitting these same goals. If the game has linear type gameplay, 60 FPS is the goal. If the game is open world, they are hitting 30 FPS. Seems fair.

fast and bulbous squid
  • fast and bulbous squid

you can call me... SUPERLIGHTDUSKMASTER99

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:34 AM Edited by Cloudee, 14 April 2015 - 12:34 AM.

60 FPS feels unnatural to me. Everything looks miniscule and sped up. Don't understand the appeal of it, but maybe it's a matter of what one is used to.

That's strange. While the human eye doesn't "see" in FPS, a higher framerate provides an experience that is more like the "unlimited" framerate of real life. Not sure why 30 would seem more natural or realistic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users