Quantcast

» «
Photo

30 FPS vs 60 FPS

55 replies to this topic

Poll: 30 FPS vs 60 FPS (79 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose your destiny...

1. 30 FPS - choppy, but the visuals make that up well for me (9 votes [11.39%])

Percentage of vote: 11.39%

2. 60 FPS - deprived of the graphic potential, but the smoothness is what I appreciate more (47 votes [59.49%])

Percentage of vote: 59.49%

3. I don't care - never took much notice to this aspect (23 votes [29.11%])

Percentage of vote: 29.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

For the start, I'd like to say something to all the people who base their opinion on 30 and 60 FPS by the YouTube comparisons - those videos get it wrong. And here's a simple answer why - it's because YouTube can't display anything more than 30 FPS.

For a reliable comparison between 30 FPS and 60 FPS, it's wise to look up some of the materials courtesy of Eurogamer - a very professional site where you can learn many interesting facts you might have never known before. Here's a good one for a topic:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain trailer in 30 FPS:

http://youtu.be/UMyoCr2MnpM?t=2m43s

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain trailer in 60 FPS (simulation - it's a little not accurate, but it might give you an idea):

http://openpandora.i...ence 720p60.mp4

Personally, I'm all for the 60 FPS. It's been a standard on PCs since a long time now, and It's quite a shame that the developers still force their games to run at 30 FPS, just for additional graphic enhancements. 60 FPS looks simply smooth for the eyes.

Pat
  • Pat

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:21 PM

It's really not fair to compare 30fps to 60fps based on any video, because it really matters most when its affecting your input and thus your ability to play. Personally, I struggle to play any game that requires precise aiming at less than 60fps, and I will always reduce whatever settings I need to achieve it.

• Failure likes this

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Pass The Whiskey

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

FPS is no big deal for me. I'm fine with any.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:01 AM

It depends on the game. I prefer 30fps on games that are like movies, like GTA, Heavy Rain, Horror Games, etc. but for pretty much anything else, 60fps is the way to go. I can't even play Skyrim on my ps3 anymore from playing it at 60fps on my PC. But then again, IV on my PC feels weird as f*ck.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

I am struggling a lot with GTAV, it's got a lot of contrast and the frame rate sucks, on a big tv it's very blurry when driving around and it actually makes me feel ill.

45fps+ should be a goal for all games that often have fast action involved. It's the worst in V when driving.

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

I'm fine with 30FPS. If something is 60fps well nice, thanks, I'm not gonna throw a tantrum and whine on the internet just because it's 30. 30 is fine, if you can't play with 30fps, then you're the problem, not the game.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

While 30 FPS is not that big of a problem to me, I prefer 60 FPS. The graphics are not that big of a deal, although if it has small details, then I need "good" graphics.

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

I'm fine with 30FPS. If something is 60fps well nice, thanks, I'm not gonna throw a tantrum and whine on the internet just because it's 30. 30 is fine, if you can't play with 30fps, then you're the problem, not the game.

This is not really good logic, telling the consumer they are the problem is never the answer. If 30FPS isn't considered good enough by many, then perhaps many actually have a point, look at the poll, more people are in favour of 60fps. Maybe we're not the problem, maybe you're the problem.

Increasing framerate from 30 to 45 or even 60 fps is a much better upgrade than increasing graphical fidelity, the former simply makes everything in the game much smoother and more playable, the latter, not so much.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:40 AM Edited by Dr. John13, 09 November 2013 - 11:41 AM.

I am struggling a lot with GTAV, it's got a lot of contrast and the frame rate sucks, on a big tv it's very blurry when driving around and it actually makes me feel ill.

45fps+ should be a goal for all games that often have fast action involved. It's the worst in V when driving.

It's on console. Consoles mostly play games on 20-30 fps. I have rarely seen any console game with 60 fps. If you want 60 fps, then PC version is your answer. Though, it's GTA V we are talking about, a huge game, it might just end up as a PC port with bad performance (just like GTA IV).

As for my opinion, it's 30 fps. It's like cheating when playing games on 30 fps, as you can examine more detail of the game in less time; it's useful in action games (Example: Battlefield 4). Although it might just be an excuse for a bad PC specs. :p 60 fps would be for video streaming.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

30 FPS is choppy?

My eyes are so used to low FPS I can honeslt not see the difference between 20 and 40 FPS.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

I dare say; the average gamer playing the average video game will never notice the difference (or care) between 30 and 60 FPS.

it's a pretty moot point at this stage in graphics technology.

• Gigs84 likes this

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

I cannot tell the difference.
So, anything higher than 30 fps is just extra headroom for a performance drop..

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

If you cannot tell the difference, you ain't human. Check out the comparison I gave.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:27 PM Edited by AceKingston, 09 November 2013 - 01:28 PM.

It's on console. Consoles mostly play games on 20-30 fps. I have rarely seen any console game with 60 fps. If you want 60 fps, then PC version is your answer. Though, it's GTA V we are talking about, a huge game, it might just end up as a PC port with bad performance (just like GTA IV).

There is enough evidence this time around, though, to state that the PC version for GTA V is not a port but is being developed side-by-side by the console version. There is also enough evidence to suggest that a terrible PC version is not in the offing, Rockstar have themselves already stated that on this very forum itself.

Anyways, 60 FPS does look a bit more smoother to the eye but I'm fine with 30 FPS. As long as it doesn't drop to around 20, I'm not complaining.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:00 PM

My computer is really bad so I rarely see anything above 25FPS on it, the highest framerate I get is from muh xbox. Since on the PC I'm used to playing ~15FPS I'm fine with 30FPS; of course, since we're talking about advancement in tech this isn't a good thing to compare to, and from what I've seen the base should be set above 30FPS - get the game to 45, 60, whatever FPS first, then cram in the visuals. 

For example, playing TF2 with the sh*ttiest graphics possible (using Chris's config, I believe it's called, then choosing the highest framerate option) - textures made of pixels half a metre wide, no fancy effects, lowered resolution...but having the framerate was so definitely better.

Dr. John
  • Dr. John

Women and Wine

• Members
  • India

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:49 PM

There is enough evidence this time around, though, to state that the PC version for GTA V is not a port but is being developed side-by-side by the console version. There is also enough evidence to suggest that a terrible PC version is not in the offing, Rockstar have themselves already stated that on this very forum itself.

Surely, I do not expect any slacking in the work of GTA V PC version, afterall it's the most anticipated game of the year. But, it may have its loopholes and those are very costly for fps. You may even need computers from NASA's for playing though the main menu itself. :p I do hope they are giving their best as I don't expect everyone is going to buy a gaming desktop for just playing this game with 60 fps.

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

If I have a choice between the two, I'll obviously go for 60 FPS. But if I don't, I don't really care.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

I never liked 60 FPS to be honest. I played San Andreas on the PC, and it felt weird.

Pat
  • Pat

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

I never liked 60 FPS to be honest. I played San Andreas on the PC, and it felt weird.

San Andreas is a bad example of a game running at 60FPS. It, along with GTA III and GTA Vice City, are coded to run at 25FPS and they start suffering from glitches if you go any higher than 45FPS. I know in San Andreas, at any framerate above 45FPS, the handbrake automatically applies itself at all times whenever driving a vehicle, and that's just one of many glitches that can occur.

I can't explain why it happens, it must be something to do with Renderware, but those three games are the only examples I can think of where 60FPS is actually objectively worse than 30FPS.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

San Andreas is a bad example of a game running at 60FPS. It, along with GTA III and GTA Vice City, are coded to run at 25FPS and they start suffering from glitches if you go any higher than 45FPS. I know in San Andreas, at any framerate above 45FPS, the handbrake automatically applies itself at all times whenever driving a vehicle, and that's just one of many glitches that can occur.

I can't explain why it happens, it must be something to do with Renderware, but those three games are the only examples I can think of where 60FPS is actually objectively worse than 30FPS.

I've never suffered from any glitches while in 60 FPS, nor I don't really remember playing San Andreas in 25 FPS (aka unplayable frame rate) on my PS2. It was definitely locked on 30 FPS (and I definitely choose the PC version out of two, with its sweet 60ish).

Pat
  • Pat

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:21 PM Edited by Pat, 09 November 2013 - 07:28 PM.

Run the PC version with a framerate counter like Fraps. With the frame limiter on, the game is locked at 25FPS. As for you not suffering any glitches at 60FPS, consider yourself lucky, because they definitely happen for others (including myself). They just simply aren't designed to run at 60FPS. That's not to say that you have to run them at their default 25FPS, though; GTA SA has a mod that acts as an external frame rate limiter that lets you set your own limit, and I've found using that and limiting it to 45FPS is the best of both worlds - smoother gameplay, but none of the glitches that come from high framerates. Remember that the farther you are from 25FPS, the more problems you're going to run into in these games.

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:19 PM Edited by Killerdude8, 09 November 2013 - 09:20 PM.

If you cannot tell the difference, you ain't human. Check out the comparison I gave.
I did, infact I double checked, they looked and felt identical.

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Working hard to maintain my sanity.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

You are right Killerdude, most people cannot accurately perceive the difference above 30FPS. The only gain you get from a higher rate is better clarity in action scenes. An example would be watching sports (like basketball) on an HDTV with a slow refresh rate. You will get artifacting with some of the pixels. That's about it, nothing that will ruin your day. A minor imperfection is a major deal breaker to your PC elitist however.

Pat
  • Pat

• GTA Series Staff
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:41 PM

A minor imperfection is a major deal breaker to your PC elitist however.

Yes, only PC gamers care about 60FPS. That's why Call of Duty - a franchise that is primarily popular on consoles, based on sales - strives to achieve a constant 60FPS with every iteration.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE A DIFFERENCE.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:32 AM Edited by Doublepulse, 10 November 2013 - 03:44 AM.

I played some games on 60 FPS, but I honestly don't care or notice the stuttering frame unless it is below 20 FPS.

I think the more you play on 60 FPS and you are aware of it, you can learn to see the difference, but most the time Im fine at 30-45 FPS.

I start complaining or seeing difference when it is played at 15-25 FPS.

But yes I watched the videos and see the difference, but I don't get why some people say it stutters at 30 FPS, I have heard some people who are so f*cking picky they think it is laggy at 30.

One example to test it yourself is turn on fraps, on a game that you can run at 60, but might not be perfect PC. Once you start recording, you might notice the FPS is 30. Perfect opportunity to test your eyes.

It honestly drives me crazy to think about smooth FPS all the time because it takes me away from enjoying the game. That is why I do not give much thought to it anymore.

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:03 AM

HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE A DIFFERENCE.

I'm going to say it's more of a feeling than a sight thing when it comes to the number of frames per second.

When a game has a higher fps, then just plays smoother and get to input things faster.

When I play a game like minecraft, the game runs extremely smooth at 60+ fps and when it's below 30 the game just feels sluggish.

marmoo
  • marmoo

Hustler

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

Although 30 FPS is not ideal, as long as it stays at that rate constantly then that is fine.

The lag effects happen when you are jumping from 60 to 30 to 45 to 28 to 55 etc etc

UtricularEwe001
  • UtricularEwe001

I am a Pirate

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

Here is a great video comparing 30 vs 60 FPS with in depth research.

http://www.gamespot....n/2300-6415658/

Personally, if you are playing multiplayer games competitively, anything less than 60 FPS is simply not acceptable.

That is my number one priority for buying next gen games. 1080p/60FPS or GTFO.

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Pass The Whiskey

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

Personally, if you are playing multiplayer games competitively, anything less than 60 FPS is simply not acceptable.

It's acceptable :p us PS3 derps deal with it fine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users