Quantcast

» «
Photo

How to really enjoy GTA, especially free roam.

51 replies to this topic
D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

I'm one for making things difficult. It's an ethos of mine I suppose. Not only is it an every day habit of challenging myself but even during my leisure time, I still choose to do things the "hard" way.

When I play video games, mainly FIFA & GTA atm, I always set the difficulty to the highest setting. I feel that by doing this, not only am I forcing myself to be a better player per se but I'm encountering things and new challenges most people forget is even an option.

I loaded up my GTA and read one of those notifications R* kindly put in for us during those, lethargic, loading screens. It read something along the lines of "For a truly immersive experience, turn off the radar". So I thought hey, why not give that a try, see how much of Los Santos I really know.

I go into a free roam full of players, hit the start button and proceed in getting rid of my HUD and Radar. Go back into the game and notice instantly how different the game looks already, I felt like I had 'space', for the lack of a better word.

So I'm out in Paleto Bay and order myself a brand new 9F Cabrio. A txt arrives shortly after [a mass stabbing incident] saying my car was very generously delivered to my garage already, for no fee what so ever! White Jesus? Who knows...

I digress. So I steal a car and think f*ck, how do I get back to Los Santos from here [Paleto Bay]. I can't see any other player nearby, I don't know where the next turn is precisely, I have no Idea how much ammo I have left in case sh*t hits the fan and I find myself in a gun battle with no spidey senses on the bottom left of my screen! And what do you know, 4mins into my drive back home some guy starts tailing me in his tuned Primo firing shots at my car.

Not an uncommon circumstance at all but, given the fact I had no idea where I was driving especially if I aimed backwards to shoot this guy, I felt like I was playing an entirely different game. My instant reaction is to just drive as fast as I can and use my racing abilities to lose this guy. What was great about this, was I got the feeling of actually being in a real chase. After miraculously escaping, I was lost again. Which brought upon a whole new objective for me.

Maybe it's because I'm the adventurous type, but I have never enjoyed playing GTA as much as now. Getting rid of the radar & HUD really do give you this feeling of being in that virtual world R* so often talk about.

I recommend this for everyone, whether you're struggling for things to do and becoming bored or even if you're having immense fun with the game already. At least try it out is what I'm saying. Open all the doors of possibilities.

• pro_laps, GambleGamble, Valdorien and 13 others like this

MantisFang
  • MantisFang

Undead Insect

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

I found a peanut!
  • redfirebird87 and Zevares like this

SKaREO
  • SKaREO

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:04 PM

Challenges make life interesting, agreed. For example, this thread challenged my attention span.

• MediApino, Scumbag_Dave, SK1NJ0B and 2 others like this

D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:06 PM

I found a peanut!

Peanuts are good for muscles.

• MantisFang likes this

D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

Challenges make life interesting, agreed. For example, this thread challenged my attention span.

A.D.D? Me too, don't worry about it too much.

GrndZero
  • GrndZero

Old enough to be your dad.

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

Don't listen to the ADHD people, I think this is a good addition and I think I am going to try it myself. If anything it will be good to get to know the roads better. Force yourself to learn. It also makes for good pictures and recording gameplay.

• cloudfuel likes this

petraeus
  • petraeus

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

its hard to get lost unless ur an idiot, the whole map is an island.... think about it for a second

D_Marco
  • D_Marco

The Anti-Theist

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

@petraeus, I'm sure if you found yourself where I was you wouldn't be able to tell which direction you were going. Do you have anger management issues? Serious question.

I just went into a clothes store with my car unlocked. As I'm changing my attire I hear the sweet sound of my Suranos engine and rubber burning. By the time I switched my 'Vehicle access' to No One, my car was too far out of sight. Been looking for it for the past 5mins now, some of the funniest sh*t I've had to deal with on this game haha.

vince91
  • vince91

the pube in your orange juice

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

its hard to get lost unless ur an idiot, the whole map is an island.... think about it for a second

i played a part of SP without hud..  i can assure you it's very possible to get 'lost' ..  not for hours but i had a lot of 'where the f*ck am i' moments especially after taking shortcuts or escaping police.

online however, as much as i'd love to turn off the map, it's just to big of a disadvantage imo.  and you can't see where your friends are. or who your friends are.. i'm glad you enjoy it tho, OP.

• Scumbag_Dave likes this

TiggerThaWigger
  • TiggerThaWigger

Heisenberg

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

If I see a kid driving one of those green vehicles from Simeon then I do my best to ruin their day! Severl occasions I followed some kid and just unloaded on his has and blew it up.  Another time I just rolled up behind the player and tossed c4 on the back. KABOOM!  So f*cking funny, and you can't get in trouble for blowing it up!

Revoemag
  • Revoemag

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

Did this too in SP...was a blast...will try it on MP today..

multi3352
  • multi3352

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

yes. sounds sweet, fellow adventurer. get the most out of your 40 odd pounds you paid for a game by playing the hardest setting is what i always try to do, always play on veteran/hardest and free aim, mo skill mo fun. lol. but i was worried that unlike free aim, where yur put into a server with the rest of the skillful players (less douches too, i guess naturally the douches generally choose the click aim bot fun-lacking way.. lol)

But when playing with no radar its just visual hud that isnt there it doesnt change servers to match difficulties with everyone else does it? a whole server of no radar or hud would be awesome, would make it feel a lot more expansive cos oyu can get lost in a small part of the map.

tl;dr (cos i ramble-type like sh*t). Are you at a disadvantage with no radar/hud or, like free-aim, do you get put into a server with the rest of the cool people?

SaltyOnionBalls.
  • SaltyOnionBalls.

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

I will try this, in a private session with friends only first til I get the hang of it. Sounds like a fun way to get back into having fun with GTA.

DirtyT
  • DirtyT

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

This seems like an excellent idea for single player but putting yourself at a significant disadvantage when most, if not all, other players have a HUD seems a little too much.

How is it for missions? Are there any other indicators for where your objective is?

Kalik
  • Kalik

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

I don't mind the HUD ..I have a gps in my car or cellphone in real life.

I hate the many blue dots representing missions, races , jumps etc.

Wish I can turn these off

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

DNR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DirtyT
  • DirtyT

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

DNR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting us know. Go back to your board books and crayons.

ROADSIDE_BUM
  • ROADSIDE_BUM

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

they should make hudless only servers

• World Champion likes this

Valdorien
  • Valdorien

We weren't ready!

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

Amazing idea.

I think I know the city enought to try it. I will use my Bati 801 to be able to drive anywhere in case of an epic chase.

Rokbang
  • Rokbang

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

Nice topic, will give it a try!

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

American MuSScle Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

DNR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the medical world, DNR means Do Not Resuscitate.

So, if you do get a heart attack, i definitely will not help you. Moron.
  • Scumbag_Dave and BILLHICKSISDEAD like this

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

DNR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting us know. Go back to your board books and crayons.

if you read that book above i would advise you to learn to color inside the lines before you critique my coloring skills. i saw two words "radar off"   ......saved my life 30 boring seconds.

iiGh0STt
  • iiGh0STt

Gangsta

• BUSTED!
  • Ukraine

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

DNR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the medical world, DNR means Do Not Resuscitate.

So, if you do get a heart attack, i definitely will not help you. Moron.

is this the medical world? or a forum.

the fact that your user title says your balls dropped in 2003 tells me everything i need to know about you bub.

multi3352
  • multi3352

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:41 PM

wtf is DNR?

RGinny
  • RGinny

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

never thought of doing this. but it sounds fun!

I'm not too worried about finding my apt. I have the Alta St. apt, which is directly in the city center... I rarely look at the quickmap going home anyway because I go to city center, south side, if its day look for the red brick building, if its night look for the building with the 4 neon blue spires on its roof.

and since I already know by hear how to get to the helipad/LSC (southern one)/ airport by heart from my apt I could see how dropping the minimap might be one of the coolest ways to experience this game.

Although it would put me in a severe disadvantage against a sniper, id have no clue he was near until BOOM headshot. But I guess that's more realistic anyway.

Will definitely make evading the police much tougher. (no cones!)

Kracus
  • Kracus

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Yeah not really practical online sadly but I used to do this in GTA 4 single player after my first playthrough. REALLY made for a nice immersive game.

Mr.Piggman
  • Mr.Piggman

CEO of Piggman Industries

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

they should make hudless only servers

That would be so much fun. From time to time I will get in private lobbies with friends and we all turn our HUDs off and go at it in a pre-determined location. Always an amazing time.

pakovrs
  • pakovrs

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

@petraeus, I'm sure if you found yourself where I was you wouldn't be able to tell which direction you were going. Do you have anger management issues? Serious question.

I just went into a clothes store with my car unlocked. As I'm changing my attire I hear the sweet sound of my Suranos engine and rubber burning. By the time I switched my 'Vehicle access' to No One, my car was too far out of sight. Been looking for it for the past 5mins now, some of the funniest sh*t I've had to deal with on this game haha.

Yeah, running in circles looking for your car... sounds hilarious! I think you'd better get a life

SOHC_VTEC
  • SOHC_VTEC

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

Been doing this since gta 4, and hell yes it's a way better experience to an extent, but sometimes it can overwhelming, especially on missions lol

MeGusta90
  • MeGusta90

I want a cool image under this sentence

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

I'll try this... but how do you know where to go during mission?

Do you check your map and just try to find your way?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users