Quantcast

» «
Photo

Radio station behavior in Online

32 replies to this topic

Poll: What kind of a radio listener are you? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

When riding in a vehicle, I...

1. ...aggressively pick my favorite radio station (26 votes [37.14%])

Percentage of vote: 37.14%

2. ...switch to something good but let other peeps choose stations too (21 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

3. ...hardly ever touch the radio knobs (5 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. ...turn off the radio 'cause it distracts my driving/passenger snoozing (10 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

5. ...always regret taking the backseat in a 4-door ride (8 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote
SpaceCadet1
  • SpaceCadet1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:37 AM Edited by SpaceCadet1, 08 November 2013 - 11:40 AM.

The GTA radio, easily my favorite thing about all games in the franchise. I'm sure there are other threads about the in-game music, so this poll-thread focuses more on the things you've noticed about the radio use in Online play. What stations do people usually pick? Do you make an effort of educating the youngsters by showcasing the phenomenal tunes in Worldwide FM or Lowdown 91.1? How often do you enter a radio-switch battle between the brilliant Non Stop Pop FM and some wannabe douche's insistence on Radio Los Santos? Share, vote and discuss!

And just as a side-note, the best three stations out there are Radio Mirror Park, Worldwide FM and Non-Stop. Fact. :)

mupp3tz
  • mupp3tz

Xbox 360

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

I also enjoy Mirror Park, Worldwide, and Non Stop.. but lately have been switching it around to prevent getting bored of the same songs. When doing missions with randoms, the rap stations seem to be quite popular from what I can tell.

Killzone3265
  • Killzone3265

big boss

• The Yakuza
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

i mostly just turn it off now, getting annoying

SpaceCadet1
  • SpaceCadet1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:44 AM Edited by SpaceCadet1, 08 November 2013 - 11:44 AM.

I also enjoy Mirror Park, Worldwide, and Non Stop.. but lately have been switching it around to prevent getting bored of the same songs. When doing missions with randoms, the rap stations seem to be quite popular from what I can tell.

Agreed, just like my actual music listening, I have a tendency of rotating between genres so as to avoid staleness. And yep, Radio Los Santos seems by far the most popular default station. I've yet to see anyone voluntarily switch to Lowdown or Space 103.2, apart from me :) Non Stop Pop is a great tongue-in-cheek choice during intense drive-by or cop chase moments.

M6 dRMG
  • M6 dRMG

Umirin?

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

I'm warming to channel X and west coast classics atm. Nostalgia when dr dre and snoop dogg come on.

Killzone3265
  • Killzone3265

big boss

• The Yakuza
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

I'm warming to channel X and west coast classics atm. Nostalgia when dr dre and snoop dogg come on.

i cant stand channel x most of the time, especially when that drum spamming guy comes on and says "america, land of free" something lyrics idk, i cant stand the way he talks

Revoemag
  • Revoemag

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

I thought I was the only one that liked non-stop...my shameful secret

blackmyst
  • blackmyst

Bastard

• BUSTED!
  • Argentina

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:26 PM

some wannabe douche

*looks at signature* Sounds about right.

SpaceCadet1
  • SpaceCadet1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:11 PM Edited by SpaceCadet1, 08 November 2013 - 02:17 PM.

some wannabe douche

Not sure where you're getting at, but if you insist on knowing where those lyrics come from http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-VTAj4yiKUc 100% douche material, yup yup.

Full lyrics:

Hitch a ride
Hitch a ride

Eagles swirl and they pick up the bones
I'll shut you down like a bank on a Sunday
The engine has no stories to tell because there's no-one to tell 'em to
The last drugstore has sold the very last pill

Out on the road and I am high enough, thumbs up
You're pullin' over, gonna pick me up, shut up
The rusty wiper blades move along, in song
Having a lonely body in your car, shut up

My piece is in your ear movin' fast, thinkin' clear
I'll squeeze if you don't steer and follow the line straighter, shut up
You are the bullet, I am the gun, I won
Screw on the silencer and have some fun

Gray highway deserting me
Hitchhiking, a pair of high-beams coming my way

Hitch a ride
Hitch a ride

Treading water in an ocean of champagne
You blow a spark plug when you see a drop of blood
And how many joyrides will it take, the sombre spasms harboring
Those pulsing neon hangovers, hang me

It's Friday night, I'm gonna f*ck or fight, that's right
This time and all I need is one more ride, shut up
I'm car-jacking on a fine spring afternoon
Don't kid a kidder, don't sh*t a bullsh*tter, shut up

I'm hotter than the crack you're cookin' up, heat up
I'm colder than the smack you're jackin' up, shut up
I'm a balloon and I am losin' air, beware
Squeak, ah, squeak, there's blood on me

Gray highway, deserting me

SpaceCadet1
  • SpaceCadet1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:13 PM Edited by SpaceCadet1, 08 November 2013 - 02:19 PM.

I thought I was the only one that liked non-stop...my shameful secret

All Saints, Modjo, Stardust, Petshop Boys, and Kelly Rowland's solo career highlight - what is there not to like? :) The only clear miss is the Britney tune, which isn't quite horrible enough to deserve any camp value. And although I generally detest Rihanna as an artist, her song fits the game universe in a surreal kinda way.

LaVendetta16
  • LaVendetta16

Player Hater

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

West Coast Classics

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

In Free Mode:

I tend to see/check if there is anything good playing. If there isn't, I turn it off. I'll brutally murder anyone who puts it to East Los FM as a passenger.

In Races:

I turn it off almost always, unless there is a fitting song playing.

Pong Lenis
  • Pong Lenis

¡Hasta la victoria, siempre!

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Seriously, how can anybody above the age of 13 like non stop pop FM??? 

Pop music today is the most retarded type of music

SpaceCadet1
  • SpaceCadet1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:37 PM Edited by SpaceCadet1, 08 November 2013 - 02:37 PM.

It's actually views like this which I'd rank as the most retarded and immature in any kind of music discussion. My guess is that you're not really into dance music, female singers or mainstream music videos? That's all good, but bashing someone for liking French house (Stardust, Modjo), English electro (Petshop Boys) or American mainstream pop (Rihanna, Britney) is just about as retarded as dissing someone for liking the Beatles, Hendrix or John Williams.

And what the hell does age have to do with good music anyways? I listened to some serious Californian stoner rock at the age of 12 and I can't say I've managed to kick the habit after 13 years or so ;)

GodlessLiberal83
  • GodlessLiberal83

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

I find myself turning it off most of the time now. 

Masher8559
  • Masher8559

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

Need more songs for online, the current ones have gotten old for me real quick. GTA series has always had great music. i think V dropped the ball a bit when it comes to music selection. I find my self hearing the same songs many times in one play session of about 2-3 hours. 

Shootinalloveryourface
  • Shootinalloveryourface

No 1 Panto Crew in the World PIGS

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

i cant stand channel x most of the time, especially when that drum spamming guy comes on and says "america, land of free" something lyrics idk, i cant stand the way he talks

That's one of my favourite songs in the game.

As passenger I leave the radio alone unless I really can't stand the song that's playing.

Pong Lenis
  • Pong Lenis

¡Hasta la victoria, siempre!

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

It's actually views like this which I'd rank as the most retarded and immature in any kind of music discussion. My guess is that you're not really into dance music, female singers or mainstream music videos? That's all good, but bashing someone for liking French house (Stardust, Modjo), English electro (Petshop Boys) or American mainstream pop (Rihanna, Britney) is just about as retarded as dissing someone for liking the Beatles, Hendrix or John Williams.

And what the hell does age have to do with good music anyways? I listened to some serious Californian stoner rock at the age of 12 and I can't say I've managed to kick the habit after 13 years or so ;)

I must have hit your soft spot or something, calm down and dont get so upset by other peoples opinion when you ask for it..!

Anyway, you are right i dont like "mainstream music" and stupid pop music like Britney or Rihanna.. 

Age is about maturity, most people over 13 are aware of what kind of music they listen to, what kind of message lies in the lyrics, when pitbull or some other overrated artist just says the same word 50 times in a song it doesent exactly make me wanna jump and scream, no mather how much drum and base you put over that autotune! 

And before you keep going bananas, you are not any better yourself when stating stupid sh*t like this, and i quote: 

"And just as a side-note, the best three stations out there are Radio Mirror Park, Worldwide FM and Non-Stop. Fact"

Fact???? Ok then, so here you are making an assumption on behalf of everybody too, right? ...

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

I must have hit your soft spot or something, calm down and dont get so upset by other peoples opinion when you ask for it..!

Anyway, you are right i dont like "mainstream music" and stupid pop music like Britney or Rihanna.. 

Age is about maturity, most people over 13 are aware of what kind of music they listen to, what kind of message lies in the lyrics, when pitbull or some other overrated artist just says the same word 50 times in a song it doesent exactly make me wanna jump and scream, no mather how much drum and base you put over that autotune! 

And before you keep going bananas, you are not any better yourself when stating stupid sh*t like this, and i quote: 

"And just as a side-note, the best three stations out there are Radio Mirror Park, Worldwide FM and Non-Stop. Fact"

Fact???? Ok then, so here you are making an assumption on behalf of everybody too, right? ...

I'd like to say that I like some songs in the pop station. For example, Modjo - Hear Me Tonight and Scandalous are good. I'd say it has the best overall song quality, but my favorite single songs are in Radio Mirror Park and Los Santos Rock Radio.

albertfish--
  • albertfish--

I'm busy changing the world

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

Radio Mirror Park is my unfavourite station in the whole game. I can listen to anything besides that radio.

R.R
  • R.R

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:04 PM Edited by R.R, 08 November 2013 - 03:04 PM.

Whenever I'm driving to a mission and another player is in my car, I allow him/her to choose what we listen to, and generally expect the same courtesy when I'm a passenger, especially on long trips.

Edit - I must admit though that I have a fairly broad taste in music, so this comes somewhat easier to me. I'm happy listening to any station in the game.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

Radio Mirror Park is my unfavourite station in the whole game. I can listen to anything besides that radio.

You telling me you dislike The Chain Gang of 1974 - Sleepwalking?

SpaceCadet1
  • SpaceCadet1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

I'm not sure what makes you think I'm heating up here, I was merely responding to your ageist generalization of Non Stop Pop FM, and stating (and restating here) that it is in fact a very good radio show! My comment on the 3 best radio stations was obviously a personal opinion flavored with a cliche "fact" joke at the end, too bad you missed it. And finally some food for thought; GTAV is in most countries an 18+ game, so why would Rockstar include a radio soundtrack for adolescent listeners, who are by default too young to play the game?

And I am still not buying your argument about young people not being able to form sound opinions about the music they listen to - I could easily counter the viewpoint by claiming that "mature" adults are stuck-up about their music listening and are less willing to embrace new sounds and styles as they age and conform to their identities as "mature listeners". I could, but I won't, cause music as an expression and art form does and should not be tied with age, sex or any other personal qualities. I commend grannies who can get down with Westcoast oldschool tunes, suited businessmen who can boogie to Rihanna, and 13-year-olds who cherish zappaish progressive rock. I believe that one of Rockstar's intentions with the whole radio presentation has been to challenge labels and associations in music - stop caring about what people think about your tastes and listen to whatever the hell you like. I recommend checking out South Park's ingenious episode "You're Getting Old", which brilliantly breaks down the whole "young listener/mature listener" dichotomy into one big joke. ;)

Zankou
  • Zankou

Crew: TGMC

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:43 PM Edited by Zankou, 08 November 2013 - 03:59 PM.

Non Stop Pop. I always love when they play "Work" "1 thing" and "Glamorous" one after the other. "Don't Wanna Fall in Love" is pretty good too.

SpaceCadet1
  • SpaceCadet1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:46 PM Edited by SpaceCadet1, 08 November 2013 - 03:46 PM.

You telling me you dislike The Chain Gang of 1974 - Sleepwalking?

I agree with WinterEdit, I find it hard to believe anyone geared towards rock and electro could dismiss all the songs in this channel :) Is it maybe to do with the whole hipster parody of the host DJ? I reckon RMP has some of the coolest electro tunes ever in a GTA game (my favorite tune by Battle Tapes below)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aPeBB2TqFio

Out of the rock radios Vinewood Boulevard is probably the best - not all songs are my cup of tea, but I like the overall California stoner/sludge vibes many of the songs display.

Non Stop Pop. I always love when they play "Work" "1 thing" and "Glamarous" one after the other. "Don't Wanna Fall in Love" is pretty good too.

THIS. :D

SpaceCadet1
  • SpaceCadet1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:59 PM Edited by SpaceCadet1, 08 November 2013 - 04:00 PM.

Need more songs for online, the current ones have gotten old for me real quick. GTA series has always had great music. i think V dropped the ball a bit when it comes to music selection. I find my self hearing the same songs many times in one play session of about 2-3 hours. 

I will disagree here and go ahead to claim that GTAV's radio selection is the best in the series so far. A sprawling, exciting, daring and brilliantly executed selection of new hits and oldies. One could of course argue that (apart from the hispanic East Los FM and the instrumental Soulwax FM) the songs are quite anglocentric. Nevertheless, this mix of licensed music produces a genuinely believable cross-section of contemporary music listening in 2013. I mean heck, name me another mainstream console title that would feature stuff from Tyler the Creator or Aphex Twin, or deliver dubstep tunes which are NOT derived from the lackluster American brostep movememnt spearheaded by Skrillex and co. (referring of course to the UK-based Mala's percussive monster "Ghost", found in Worldwide FM, link below)

Mala - Ghost

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pKn0-Hkebxs

sorry for the doubleposts, having a bit of newbey troubles with the forum interface  ;)

willeyj
  • willeyj

54-46

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Dial into Space 103.2 because Bootsy.

TrueHayabusa
  • TrueHayabusa

Shot Caller

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Battle between Radio Mirror Park, West Coast Classics, Non Stop (Rythem of the Night is awesome bro) and Space if Eddy Murphy ever pops up. Oh and Blue Ark for Night Nurse. I can't stand the Radios Los Santos. 

blackmyst
  • blackmyst

Bastard

• BUSTED!
  • Argentina

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:09 PM Edited by blackmyst, 08 November 2013 - 04:09 PM.

some wannabe douche

Not sure where you're getting at, but if you insist on knowing where those lyrics come from http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-VTAj4yiKUc 100% douche material, yup yup.

Full lyrics:

Hitch a ride
Hitch a ride

Eagles swirl and they pick up the bones
I'll shut you down like a bank on a Sunday
The engine has no stories to tell because there's no-one to tell 'em to
The last drugstore has sold the very last pill

Out on the road and I am high enough, thumbs up
You're pullin' over, gonna pick me up, shut up
The rusty wiper blades move along, in song
Having a lonely body in your car, shut up

My piece is in your ear movin' fast, thinkin' clear
I'll squeeze if you don't steer and follow the line straighter, shut up
You are the bullet, I am the gun, I won
Screw on the silencer and have some fun

Gray highway deserting me

Hitch a ride
Hitch a ride

Treading water in an ocean of champagne
You blow a spark plug when you see a drop of blood
And how many joyrides will it take, the sombre spasms harboring
Those pulsing neon hangovers, hang me

It's Friday night, I'm gonna f*ck or fight, that's right
This time and all I need is one more ride, shut up
I'm car-jacking on a fine spring afternoon
Don't kid a kidder, don't sh*t a bullsh*tter, shut up

I'm hotter than the crack you're cookin' up, heat up
I'm colder than the smack you're jackin' up, shut up
I'm a balloon and I am losin' air, beware
Squeak, ah, squeak, there's blood on me

Gray highway, deserting me

Banal drivel. I stand by my original point.

AsPalacesBurn
  • AsPalacesBurn

Into the Everblack

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

If I get into a vehicle with someone else or other people, I will wait for them to turn on the radio them selves and quickly switch it to East Los FM. Sometimes I will switch it back and forth from East Los to the station they had chosen. I have been kicked out of  a personal vehicle for this once. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users