Photo

Los Santos vs. Los Angeles

50 replies to this topic
Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

Asking those that are from, or has at least visited L.A. Did GTA V have an accurate portrayal of your city? Did it have the L.A feel? Did L.S look like L.A?

I've been all over the east coast. I can say that GTA IV did well enough in grabbing the look of certain parts of NY, but I think they did a sh*tty job with Alderney. In comparison to that, was LS good?

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:36 PM

Bump... So we don't have any L.A residents on this sh*t? Speak up...

TaCtiCaLTommy
  • TaCtiCaLTommy

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

Damn, I kinda thought there would be a few as well. Ahhh well. What up Slink?

Tlaneloli
  • Tlaneloli

Native Outlawz (N8IV)

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

They made the eastside (my side) way more industrialized than it should be, I mean we got basically a big industrial park on the LA river but it's not like the whole neighborhoods, and apparentally they put part of what's supposed to be my neighborhood (according to the wiki, meh believable) west of the river La Mesa and I thought that was odd.

They put in K Town but no Chinatown? I think they made Hollywood look nicer than the real thing, I guess Los Santos was more idealized in my head like what it was gonna be.

SmoothGetaway
  • SmoothGetaway

I got respect for reality

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:54 PM

It hits in some areas, Santa Monica pier, Beverly Hills/Rodeo Drive are instantly recognizable if you've been there. But it's really weird in other areas, Venice is like a block and a half long, south LA is tiny, zero Chinatown.

I'd say it hit more of an overall SoCal vibe, than an LA vibe if that makes sense.

Tlaneloli
  • Tlaneloli

Native Outlawz (N8IV)

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:07 PM Edited by Tlaneloli, 07 November 2013 - 11:08 PM.

I thought they had a pretty good focus on South Central, they had jungles, inglewood, compton, watts, etc, and it makes up a good portion of the map, I mean I don't go down there often but they also looked to capture it well. Maybe not the gang territories, it's not like there's that many neighborhoods completely controlled by one gang in real life it's like a patchwork, I understand they wanted to capture that South Central is very Mexican now too but Fam could've controlled Nickerson Gardens with all the Mexicans there, I mean Ballas controlled East Los in San Andreas and Westlake went from Ballas to Families, what was up with that :p

IveGotNoValues
  • IveGotNoValues

Life's a game...don't take it so seriously

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:34 PM Edited by COASTERPUNK, 07 November 2013 - 11:35 PM.

Overall they got the look and vibe pretty accurate. Obviously many parts of LA are missing, but they got all the important areas and combined them into a beautiful mini version of LA. The only thing I wish they'd have done is made more suburbs surrounding the city, like the San Fernando Valley, then maybe I would have had a chance of seeing my own house.

• Bonnano likes this

CorporalBean675
  • CorporalBean675

Icaras

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

As for the overly industrial thing, it's GTA we're talking about here. They exaggerate or put a really humorous spin on anything they put their eyes on.

• Wolfhuman likes this

Tlaneloli
  • Tlaneloli

Native Outlawz (N8IV)

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:00 AM

Still could've made a better rendition of the Eastside.

Much of the San Fernando Valley is in LA, just seen as different, and they tried to secede, maybe why they're not featured :p

Bonnano
  • Bonnano

i hate the mexican that screams "f*ck me in the ass"

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

I live in Phoenix, but I got family in Culver City, everytime, that GTA feel, so yeah, Los Santos is pretty close, they actually made Santa Monica (Del Perro Pier) spot on, it's as close as it can get, the layout I mean.

600noodles
  • 600noodles

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

im from the southside of la... and YES...  when i saw the slauson super mall was in the game i LITERALLY SCREAMED... because as a kid, my family would go there every saturday. 

i think rockstar did an AMAZING job!!! if u play this game, and go to la, you would really appreciate the authenticity 

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

Bump

Goin For The Gusto
  • Goin For The Gusto

Rat

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:20 AM

Yes they got the so cal "feel" done perfectly.  If you stay near the coast it feels like near the coast, Del Perro, the coastal roads.  Vinewood hills feels like driving through wealthy neighborhoods in so cal, they build them on hills for good views and the roads are similar to driving to Franklin's house.  The ghetto feels just like the ghetto, in Long Beach you have to drive through some ghetto areas before you get to the port where all the containers are, we also have random oil pumps throughout the long beach area just like in the game.  The east part of the county is the same as here, not much, just desert, trailers, and redneck type people.  

So yes, this represents so cal very well, the ONLY part that kills the illusion, is that we are on an island, if it was connected somehow to a world that we couldn't access then it would be perfect, once you explore the island and realize we are isolated it stops feeling like so cal. 

AndrewDeSanta
  • AndrewDeSanta

Republitarian

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:24 AM

I was there on holiday in 2011 and I have to say that when playing V I actually got feelings of deja vu when driving through Del Perro and the Vinewood areas.

Hussle
  • Hussle

Trick

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:34 AM

i live in hyde park... and can tell you NOW they made the whole city dirty... my city isnt dirty... not as dirty as they made it look... the city was as safe as beverly hills.... again not like my city... the gangs... sets fucced up... 

city was too small... east l.s too industrial.. sh*t everything wrong.. so no it didnt do a good representation of L.A

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Give your free will a chance, you've got to want to succeed.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:36 AM

In some spots it hit the nail on the head. In others, not so much. I'd say the city is pretty accurate, whereas the entire country side is completely fictional. (Well, based on real areas, but no where near as close to LA as they are close to LS in the GTA universe.)

Hussle
  • Hussle

Trick

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

I thought they had a pretty good focus on South Central, they had jungles, inglewood, compton, watts, etc, and it makes up a good portion of the map, I mean I don't go down there often but they also looked to capture it well. Maybe not the gang territories, it's not like there's that many neighborhoods completely controlled by one gang in real life it's like a patchwork, I understand they wanted to capture that South Central is very Mexican now too but Fam could've controlled Nickerson Gardens with all the Mexicans there, I mean Ballas controlled East Los in San Andreas and Westlake went from Ballas to Families, what was up with that :p

and no they didnt do well in SC.. i live there and can tell you now they did a real sh*tty job of it

Tlaneloli
  • Tlaneloli

Native Outlawz (N8IV)

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:10 AM

and no they didnt do well in SC.. i live there and can tell you now they did a real sh*tty job of it

Not really my stomping grounds but how is it real sh*tty? I mean is it just the dirtiness or what?

Hussle
  • Hussle

Trick

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:15 AM

Not really my stomping grounds but how is it real sh*tty? I mean is it just the dirtiness or what?

everything about it.... the dirtyness of it... watts isnt even as dirty as that... i live on the w/s and am used to 'nicer' nayborh60ds... and GTA5 SC looks like some 3rd world fuccing country... 

the gangs too... no turfs go with there sets... sh*t all fucced up.. no activity... 

Tlaneloli
  • Tlaneloli

Native Outlawz (N8IV)

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:09 AM

everything about it.... the dirtyness of it... watts isnt even as dirty as that... i live on the w/s and am used to 'nicer' nayborh60ds... and GTA5 SC looks like some 3rd world fuccing country... 

the gangs too... no turfs go with there sets... sh*t all fucced up.. no activity... 

Gangs in GTA are weird, controlling entire neighborhoods instead of patches, and I think the sh*ttiness is exaggerated in general, the whole city got a crime rate like a third world country, you'd get a lot more heat for killing like 20 cholos in Venice, or anywhere really, got a lot of bigass gun battles that don't even get noticed, they didn't make East LS very pretty either, or West LS for that matter, think they were going for a dystopian sh*thole.

Hussle
  • Hussle

Trick

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:29 AM

Gangs in GTA are weird, controlling entire neighborhoods instead of patches, and I think the sh*ttiness is exaggerated in general, the whole city got a crime rate like a third world country, you'd get a lot more heat for killing like 20 cholos in Venice, or anywhere really, got a lot of bigass gun battles that don't even get noticed, they didn't make East LS very pretty either, or West LS for that matter, think they were going for a dystopian sh*thole.

that is very true... the only thing i see in east los that resembles east l.a in the slightest is el burro heights... 

r* need to group up a loada l.a niggas to make this game.. not some old british whiteboys that probably get the design of the city from pictures on the net...

Tlaneloli
  • Tlaneloli

Native Outlawz (N8IV)

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

that is very true... the only thing i see in east los that resembles east l.a in the slightest is el burro heights... 

r* need to group up a loada l.a niggas to make this game.. not some old british whiteboys that probably get the design of the city from pictures on the net...

They made it like a bigass industrial park, I mean it can look like the industrial areas of the eastside but it's not just a big industrial park over here.

It does look like LA, more f*cked up in general, my biggest problem with the portrayal was the eastside.

Hussle
  • Hussle

Trick

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

They made it like a bigass industrial park, I mean it can look like the industrial areas of the eastside but it's not just a big industrial park over here.

It does look like LA, more f*cked up in general, my biggest problem with the portrayal was the eastside.

and my biggest problem was SC... and the gangs... the activity... i mean there are more than 2 gangs in east los... all the maravillas... white fence... all the sureno.. 

and n/e l.s.... mirror park... could have either had avenues in it... because it was in north east ls or marabunta since ms13 run echo park

Tlaneloli
  • Tlaneloli

Native Outlawz (N8IV)

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

and my biggest problem was SC... and the gangs... the activity... i mean there are more than 2 gangs in east los... all the maravillas... white fence... all the sureno.. 

and n/e l.s.... mirror park... could have either had avenues in it... because it was in north east ls or marabunta since ms13 run echo park

I was thinking avenues was an option for what gangs they were gonna have before it came out, I knew they were gonna do bloods and crips and figured I'd see MS and 18, maybe Florencia or Avenues cuz they're pretty big too. They can't feature every gang though. As for northeast LS they didn't have Northeast LA neighborhoods, if they had Highland Park or Glassel Park it might make sense to have Avenues, as for Echo Park it looked like they were going for a more gentrified Echo Park to me, like Hipster Echo Park, so lack of gang presence don't surprise me even though real Echo Park is different.

It'd be cool if they Westlake or Pico Union or both, dangerous neighborhoods, 18 and MS started there respectively, they could've cut into Little Seoul or something, K-Town's big but not that big.

And is it just me or is Hollywood nicer, now that's a dirty neighborhood, I used to be there all the time.

Hussle
  • Hussle

Trick

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:59 AM

I was thinking avenues was an option for what gangs they were gonna have before it came out, I knew they were gonna do bloods and crips and figured I'd see MS and 18, maybe Florencia or Avenues cuz they're pretty big too. They can't feature every gang though. As for northeast LS they didn't have Northeast LA neighborhoods, if they had Highland Park or Glassel Park it might make sense to have Avenues, as for Echo Park it looked like they were going for a more gentrified Echo Park to me, like Hipster Echo Park, so lack of gang presence don't surprise me even though real Echo Park is different.

It'd be cool if they Westlake or Pico Union or both, dangerous neighborhoods, 18 and MS started there respectively, they could've cut into Little Seoul or something, K-Town's big but not that big.

And is it just me or is Hollywood nicer, now that's a dirty neighborhood, I used to be there all the time.

well.... marabunta... are based on aves and ms IMO.... vagos... various Sureno sets.... Mainy F13... 

but the thing is.... gangs run echo park... and there was no 'gangs' there...

yeah that would be good.... they hadnt got the mexican>black presence correct... there was way more blacc hoods than there is in real life l.a

there is white fence... 18.. ms... everything in hollywood... cant believe we didnt see anything like that

Tlaneloli
  • Tlaneloli

Native Outlawz (N8IV)

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

I think it's just MS, think the name makes that clear, there are no Avenues neighborhoods in this game if I;m not mistaken, Vagos, I just kinda figured they were 18, they have to have 18, and I think VLA is Florenica, but I guess that's a holdover for SA, GTA 5 I really don't know for sure.

Yeah, Echo Park didn't even gentrify badly, you wanna see bad gentrification go to Atwater :p

I think they were trying to capitalize off the more infamous black neighborhoods and black gangs, what people outside LA don't realize is South LA hasn't really been black since the 90s, Compton is majority Mexican now, I think Inglewood too, though Inglewood is very black as well. What sucked was the lack of Mexican characters, this is supposed to be LA "It wouldn't be LA without Mexicans" but most of the Mexicans you interact with are cholos that cuss at you in Spanish as you gun them down, I can understand trying to keep a Grove Street charater but why not more Mexican protaganists and mor epresence in the city.

Same with SA, no gangs in Hollywood or Downtown, wtf? :p Most of the gangs in this game are constricted to the Southside, not much residential areas for them on the Eastside.

Hussle
  • Hussle

Trick

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:21 AM

nah... vagos f13... aint no f13 out in desert homie... anyway ask mrrightt about that,,, he the expert on that sh*t... but yeah i think just by the way MBG act and the way they hood look they based of Aves for that.. then ms for the salvadoran thing..

aves:

sticc to themselves

dont know about them really till you go there yourself

hilly hood

=MaraBuntaGrande

Tlaneloli
  • Tlaneloli

Native Outlawz (N8IV)

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

Oh you mean Trevor met some in Blaine County? Yeah I guess you're right about that, SA thought they might be Florencia though, cuz it's a gang that might be featured and they were more concentrated unlike Vagos, why they changing it, that's confusing :p

Hussle
  • Hussle

Trick

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

yeah when they attacced his meth lab... 

i thought aztecas in SA were just based on Sureno gangs as a whole not just F13 because f13 werent really that 'known' in 92 were they...

Tlaneloli
  • Tlaneloli

Native Outlawz (N8IV)

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

I was born in 94 I wouldn't know, they were probably around, as for known, well the game was made in 04 they didn't have to be known in 92. Seems lame to just lump Surenos together though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users