Am I the only one who likes flying in GTA V better than other GTA game

18 replies to this topic
CantThinkOfOne2013
  • CantThinkOfOne2013

Screw the Moral Majority

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

I have seen many complaints regarding the flying in GTA V. People complained about the turbulence even though it toned down as your flying skill got higher, I thought the turbulence was a great feature as it gave separate feelings for being on the ground and in the air in the game, where as in GTA San Andreas, the planes just floated off the runway, you didn't even have to pull back to take off, I know GTA isn't a flight simulator, but come on, I expect it a little more realistic than that. When it comes to helicopters, people complained that they were too twitchy and hard to control, they took some getting used to, but like the planes, it gave separate feeling for being in the air in the game compared to being on the ground. So does anyone agree with me or am I the only one who actually really likes the new flying mechanics.

BraddWhiting
  • BraddWhiting

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

I loveee the flying , its amazing , really glad the added it into this one , unlike IV

LordRussian
  • LordRussian

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

The flying is great, at first I was really disappointed by the turbulence but after a couple of days of playing you get used to it and it's like it's not there.

AiraCobra
  • AiraCobra

Proud Leader Of The Chrome Patrol (CHPT)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

One thing I would like to see them add to the Fighter Jet & Buzzard is for them to give us a choice of target locks that doesn't just lock on Police...

PlanetaryUnfolding
  • PlanetaryUnfolding

atlas novus

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

the flying is fantastic on this game. i was in awe when i first stole a jet from the military base and flew straight up in the air as far as the game will allow. very intense experience. people on this forum tend to just complain about the things they didnt do, rather than appreciate whats great about the game.

AiraCobra
  • AiraCobra

Proud Leader Of The Chrome Patrol (CHPT)

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:55 PM Edited by AiraCobra, 07 November 2013 - 05:25 PM.

I have made several post about flying and every time I get smart asses who come in and feel the need to point out that GTA is not a Flight Simulator...

We know that obviously but some of us like to fly y'kno so why insult people?

We don't insult them for racing or BMXing

We could do the same thing and tell them this isn't Grand Turismo or Tony Hawk Pro Skateboarding and to play the game correctly.

But the planes and Bike parks are in the game for a reason.

If they didn't want us to Fly or Bike on the bike park and half pipes they never would have put em in the game.

If you don't like em or want to play em nobody is making them do em so be quiet and let the rest of us enjoy em.

JazzOnWheels
  • JazzOnWheels

Addict

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

I've never liked the flight mechanics an previous GTA outings. Always found them too wonky and difficult compared to driving and other modes of travel. Making some of them mandatory missions nearly had me bailing out on a couple of them. GTA V improved the fixed wing aircraft mechanics *somewhat* but it's still a major PITA as far as I'm concerned. But it is improved and with practice I can do pretty much what's needed, though I only fly when it's required for a game objective. The helicopters are another question. I still can't control them after hours and hours of practice and failed missions. I eventually get it done with a bronze level achievement, but only with the maximum time allowed and bumping and thumping all over the place. The rest of the game rocks, but as for personal preference, I'll stay on the ground, thanks.

RememberToTaper
  • RememberToTaper

PUSH through the BURN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:16 PM Edited by RememberToTaper, 07 November 2013 - 06:16 PM.

I love it (right amount of challenge) AND I love the driving in V (must be in the minority on that one).  :)

• Mister Pink likes this

jdawglosurdo
  • jdawglosurdo

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

Flying system is awesome. I love being in the sky. its where i live

Andy_lattermen
  • Andy_lattermen

Shot Caller

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

the JET is the ONLY good thing they made that you can fly and attack with and you cant even buy it

x0v3rKiLx
  • x0v3rKiLx

You Wanna Buy Some Death Sticks?

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:45 PM

They just need to fix the gliding mechanic on a few planes, especially the F-16. If you idle your engine in a dive, you can't pull up. AT ALL. It makes little to no sense. But yes, other than that, the flying in GTA V is amazing. The 747 is a real treat. For a game that ISN'T a flight sim, this is a fantastic experience.

RememberToTaper
  • RememberToTaper

PUSH through the BURN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

One time it was raining full force and my helicopter blades starting smoking a little even though I didn't hit anything. I ignored it and just kept flying.

Then after a while the blades died and I crash landed.

I'm curious if this was intentional from Rockstar, and rainwater messes up helicopter blades in real life? Anyone have this happen in the game or know if this is a real thing?

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

I love it myself. I love the driving as well. I recognize the flaws but when I add it all up I honestly love most things about this game. I am not a fanboy who can't admit when R screws up but I have gotten tons of enjoyment out of it so far. Trevor's gun running missions where you fly the cuban are so fun. 

x0v3rKiLx
  • x0v3rKiLx

You Wanna Buy Some Death Sticks?

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

One time it was raining full force and my helicopter blades starting smoking a little even though I didn't hit anything. I ignored it and just kept flying.

I'm curious if this was intentional from Rockstar, and rainwater messes up helicopter blades in real life? Anyone have this happen in the game or know if this is a real thing?

I've flown through rainstorms in my Cargobob just fine, thunderstorms and the updraft/downdraft winds that come with them will certainly, IRL, make your flight a lot more bumpy. But the only thing that would make a rotor engine just quit like that is a lack of oxygen, usually from climbing beyond the helicopter's specified flight ceiling, which is impossible in GTA 5. 

You probably had a small engine problem that got worse over time. The more stress you put on a damaged engine, it's only a matter of time before it fails. If you see the slightest amount of smoke in the exhaust, you need to divert to the nearest helipad, because the engine is beginning to fail. 

WBaker
  • WBaker

Acatalepsis

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

I've had this happen. I think a bird got in your engine. That or it's some random bug but I like my bird brained idea better.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

I think the flying in planes is EXCELLENT. I like the turbulence and the stalling and the general handling. I believe it's the best of all the GTA games. Landing is still hit or miss for me as it's often difficult to determine my speed but hey, I don't mind the learning curve.

However, I absolutely hate flying the helicopters. If they removed the extreme wind gusts, tightened steering controls, gave us the ability to point in the direction we keep trying to choose, provided a smooth way to level out and idle (like in SA), switched back to fixed position/aiming for guns and missiles, I'd be a thousand times happier.

PineboxFiller
  • PineboxFiller

Liar

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

I've had this happen. I think a bird got in your engine. That or it's some random bug but I like my bird brained idea better.

You really can hit the birds, happened to me the other day. They do cause minor damage just like hitting an animal or person in a car, and also count toward vehicular kills.

I also agree about the flying, I like what they've done with it in V, as it makes it more fun to actually have to contend with something rather than just flying perfectly straight all the time. I think most of the people who were complaining about it thought they were Top Gun in GTA IV multiplayer with the OP Annihilator and it shattered their ego a little bit when they realized it wasn't going to be like that anymore.

BuyMeTheMoon
  • BuyMeTheMoon

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Norway

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

As you say it took some time getting used to, but I'm glad that they made it a little challenging. I think the flying is awesome and I always spend a lot of time in the air when I'm in free roam. I really miss the cargobob though :(

Shmiqq
  • Shmiqq

hello!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

The main thing I dislike is the camera moving with the plane when you rotate, otherwise it's fine.

Someone tell me if there's a way to change this. It makes my head spin when I do a barrel roll.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users