Photo

Franklin's Story [SPOILERS]

19 replies to this topic
spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

There are a lot of things that were disappointing about GTA V. None of them make the game a terrible game, but they do put it in an awkward position. I want to love it for the things it does well but I want to hate it for the things it does poorly. Either way, I have spent a while thinking about it and I decided that there is one aspect of the story that Rockstar completely dropped the ball on and that is Franklin.

Franklin is a gangsta who doesn't want to be a gangsta. He wants to be a big-time criminal and to make some serious money. At least, that's what he says. The reality of it seems that Franklin is just a lazy everyman who, in his downtime, does not work towards finding ways to make more money but rather spendts time:

Playing with his dog

Listening to rap music alone in his empty house

Watching television alone in his empty house

Washing his bike even though he washed it the last time I swapped characters. 

Eating food

Eating other food

Drinking coffee

or

Buying medicine pot without actually smoking it. 

To put it bluntly: Franklin's a boring dude who is too much like me, except I don't smoke Pot. I do sit around the house and do boring stuff though. 

How to remedy this? Well, as it turns out, Rockstar could have done quite a lot more if they had just taken the time to flesh out what they wanted from Franklin. 

1) Franklin is supposed to be ambitious. We know this because he wants to "make some serious paper and not get killed".

2) Franklin is supposed to be conflicted on his loyalty to Michael and Trevor. They gave us that choice in the end. 

3) Franklin is supposed to be the son that Michael never had.

These things are not really present in GTA V. We see hints of them, but not anything more. In fact, Rockstar pretty much dump the whole idea of Michael helping Franklin move up in the world in favor of having him go gaga over the chance to steal cars, which was the exact work Franklin was doing at the start. 

Overall it leaves Franklin in an awkward position. He and Trevor both suffer from being supporting characters in Michael's story. Rockstar never really gave them a story of their own, except when it would come back to connect to Michael's story. For instance, all of the gang banging leads to the point where Michael and Trevor help rescue Lamar and Michael is the one to take out Stretch in the end. Trevor's issues with the Chinese only come back to haunt Michael and then they wipe them out in one go. GTA V is almost too much like a movie where they cut out all the bloat, but like modern filmmakers, Rockstar seems to have forgotten that sometimes that bloat can set the tone and make a story better.

At the start of GTA V, Franklin is already tired of "Da Hood" and all of its qualities. He doesn't care for any of his friends and openly insults them while they insult you back. Perhaps I'm not brushed up on my "Hood Culture" but if Lamar had spoken to me like that about my hair at the start of GTA V, I wouldn't be friends with him. Maybe that's just how the hood is, I don't know. Franklin and Lamar seem to be opposites and don't really seem to work. Michael and Trevor work because they are opposite sides to the same coin. The killer with morals and the killer without. Lamar just seems like an annoyance to Franklin, even more so when Franklin shows he would let Lamar die in his own mess near the end of the game. 

The biggest problem with this is that it robs Franklin of any chance at character development. He starts off the story hating the hood and he ends the story hating the hood. There is a moment where Lamar cries about how Franklin is finally looking out for his homies, but it doesn't mean anything because Franklin always begrudgingly looked after his homies. It's really just pointless. 

How do we fix it? Well, give it a longer main story again. Nobody wants bloat? Too bad. We're bloating this baby up.

Grand Theft Auto V should start as it did with the North Yankton introduction. After which it should transition to Franklin, however we didn't really need the force coincidence of Michael running into Franklin before they knew each other. Instead they should be outside during his therapy session to steal Friedlander's car(s) and Lamar should no doubt cause some kind of noise leading to Friedlander abandoning the session and running outside to see his two cars speeding off down the road... A little dialogue between Franklin and Lamar and transition into the driving. 

After this the story should slow down from being exciting. We should have what feel like side-missions for Simeon as well as a big repo list that we can do at any point. Franklin and Lamar should be of like minds in many areas. Especially their whole hood thing. We should be introduced to other members of their gang or at least other neighbors who they're friends with. Tanisha should either have a major role in Franklin's life or just be cut. The one-sided romance was pointless. 

Early missions should start slower like how San Andreas took the time to let us know the different gang members. Stretch should get out and actually be welcome back and not have Franklin all cynical about it. The whole "pyramid scheme" idea should be far from their minds. Of course the Michael Repo should happen out of nowhere perhaps as a big conflict is starting in the hood. Michael shouldn't lose Franklin his job (so we can continue doing repo side missions) but at the very least he shouldn't be welcome in the hood at all at this point. (Like if the player drives Michael into the area he should be attacked)

The two stories should remain separate for a while. Michael's family should be introduced, the boat thing shouldn't happen right away, but Michael should still pull the house off the cliff by himself. A first heist to pay back Madrazzo should take place, either the diamond heist or a new one. After which, Michael should be reintroduced to Franklin via a mutual acquaintance. Someone from the hood who Franklin respects. Franklin shouldn't want to bother with some rich white bank robber but perhaps comes up with a plan to rob him for real with Lamar (the two are of like minds at this point remember). The boat thing should happen to interrupt that and Franklin should have second thoughts after the way that goes down. Maybe he can learn something and bring it back to the hood to help out the gang in their current troubles. 

After the second heist (where Michael should use the line that gets Trevor on their cases) Franklin should realize that Michael is truly the real deal and that he can make a lot more money this way than he can ever doing the stuff he was doing. He should start to change. His new weatlh should go to his head a little and should alienate his friends a tad. He and Lamar should argue over the stupid ideas that Franklin would have been down for before but is more hesitant about now. 

Of course Trevor shows up and the FIB stuff starts going down. During this Michael should want to be calm and collected and get the FIB off their backs, but Franklin should open his mouth stupidly sometimes and get them pulled in a little deeper. He should start learning from what Michael says though and perhaps hang around Michael's house after the family walk out. At some point, Franklin should suggest a heist that Michael won't work on. Franklin should work with Trevor to pull it off. After performing 'his own heist' Franklin should abandon the hood for a fancy house of his own and fancy new TVs and stuff. Lamar and some others should try to pull him back to the gang war but he should resist and eventually end up with no friends at all except Michael, Trevor, and sometimes Lamar. 

Franklin leaving should put the rest of the gang at a disadvantage because he had started out using his wealth to equip them and to help the fight. At his leaving they should eventually be overwhelmed and several of Franklin's friends and his aunt should die. This should serve as a wakeup call to Franklin. Michael should apologize and be there for him at the funeral, but Franklin should be cold and distant. He should blame Michael for it. He should realize that he lost who he was in his search for more money and he should blame Michael for it. 

Now, I'm a firm believer that multiple endings waters down a good narrative. The Lord of the Rings would not be better if it said "Turn to page 1186 to see Sam stab Frodo to destroy the ring." I would have merged some of the endings into one narrative. Not as one single final mission but as several.

The ending should open with Franklin going to take Michael out. He should tell Michael it was Michael or Trevor and Michael should accept it. He should say that he'll die in Trevor's place rather than sell him out again and asks for a phone call to his family. Talking to them he should learn Tracy got into college and whatnot and through hearing this Franklin should back down and be unable to do it. After all, he's not that far gone. 

From there they should meet with Trevor and Lester and discuss options. Perhaps they should kidnap Devin Weston and fight Merryweather only to find out that Haines was pulling strings and is the final bad guy. 

The last of the hood stuff should be sorted out in a series of missions that reunites Franklin with the buddies he has left and perhaps he should use his wealth to take more control and to give them better opportunities. Another heist would be nice with only Franklin's gang members. 

During this Michael and Trevor should get their act together. Trevor should at some point accept that he wants Michael back as a friend. Perhaps through talking with a minor character, which would be amusing if he put down Michael's therapy a bit more. Either way, they become friends while taking care of that problem. 

This stuff should put them fully on the FIB's radar leading to the final mission where they have to kill Haines. It should end on the cliff but how they get there should probably be severely different. Maybe while celebrating their recent successes together they are attacked by the FIB spurring them to action or something. Either way the similar ending where they have the bad guy cornered and toss him off a cliff and live happily ever after... for now at least. 

Personally, I like the idea of Franklin becoming too obsessed with his hunt for money that he loses himself and everything he believed in. It would fit in with Rockstar's theme for GTA V (Pursuit of the dollar) better than the actual story does. Then there's also the idea that they could expand upon Trevor's story and Michael's story a little to really give us a taste of their lives and to get to know them. As it stands, GTA V is a fun game with a fun story that has flaws. It's more of an action-comedy than it is a serious story, so perhaps injecting some serious stuff in would actually help a little. I don't know, as I said, I could just be stupid.
  • ClaudeSpeed1911 likes this

JoeyDeacan
  • JoeyDeacan

Donkey Rapist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

Words, lots of words, words are great aren't they, i like words, my favourite word is heffalump.

Mr_Goldcard
  • Mr_Goldcard

Homie

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

Why didn't they make a hispanic dude from East L.S. instead of making a remake of CJ... WTF ROCKSTAR!

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Why didn't they make a hispanic dude from East L.S. instead of making a remake of CJ... WTF ROCKSTAR!

They could have gone any number of ways. What if we had been one of the Ballas?

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

Agreed, man (I read most of it... You wrote way too much sh*t)

Franklin had so much potential. All 3 of them had the perfect set-up story, but the only one that was actually good was Trevor. Franklin could have been so much more than he is.

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

Before Franklin moves to his house in Vinewood hills, he has way more interesting switch scenes. In one of them you get a wanted level and some cops attack you with tazers. Another one is him trying to separate Lamar from some other gangsters.

Better than seeing him eating chips at least.

Jacob-B
  • Jacob-B

Misunderstood Genius

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

If you hang out with friends as Franklin i think it adds a lot more layers to his character because of the things he speaks of, maybe even more so than the main story does.

Hooves07
  • Hooves07

Prankster

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

If you hang out with friends as Franklin i think it adds a lot more layers to his character because of the things he speaks of, maybe even more so than the main story does.

^^^ This.

rovert
  • rovert

Los Santos Hobo

• Members
  • North-Korea

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:44 PM Edited by rovert, 06 November 2013 - 11:45 PM.

this has a cooler story than Franklin, I just wish they made his character like this and Lamar is like the comic relief sidekick.

025bCj4.jpg
  • Niplz444 likes this

Sasqui
  • Sasqui

Gangsta sh*t

• Members

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

Franklin is what Michael was. He made it out of the game alive, made some "serious paper", got everything he ever wanted and just sulks around now. He has a big empty house and lives the way he dreamed of, but it wasn't as awesome as he'd hoped.
Franklin is the realest character. He makes it to the top, but is miserable because he doesn't know what to do with himseld and he never got with Tanisha. That's how it would go down in real life, as bittersweet and "boring" as it is.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:05 AM

It takes a while to realize this, since we're misdirected by Michael's prominence in the first trailer and in the prologue where it's established he's the brains in charge of his crew, but Franklin is the main character in GTAV. After the prologue, for a time you can only control Franklin and he's your only point of view of the world. Then in the end he/you decide the ending.

Franklin basically has made it when he gets his new house. What else does he need? Yes, it's a big empty house, and Rockstar has Tanisha comment on that, but the bottom line is Franklin has escaped the lifestyle he wanted to escape.  He won already. He doesn't have to do anything except what the player chooses.

People talk about Trevor as the character who represents player freedom but it's really Franklin.  Trevor and Michael can't change. Trevor is trapped in his insane world; he's rejected society too long to every fit in. Michael is trapped in a juggling act of trying to have it all.  It's Franklin who can do anything he wants. He can go legit or he can steal, he can be a thug or he can be a gentleman.  

Franklin is left as somewhat of a blank slate, because it's up to the player to decide who he is.  As if the choice of endings didn't make that clear.  His empty house and self-imposed isolation is the upgraded version of Claude's silence.  Franklin is you.  You fill in the blanks with yourself.

• Cutter De Blanc, Albert De Silva and UltraGizmo64 like this

luisniko
  • luisniko

White Crib

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:31 AM Edited by luisniko, 07 November 2013 - 03:31 AM.

^^ Dude, your writing is the best. Very logical

ColdHearted
  • ColdHearted

Nascar isn't a sport

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

Boy, Shut the f*ck up, I see your bitch ass in every god damn thread talkin about Mexican this, taco that, Hispanic this STFU nobody asked y'all to bring your unhygenic Mexican asses over here to help f*ck up the economy, all you motherf*ckers are good for is bum sh*t that pays 2 dollars a day, that's probably why they did'nt even put East LA in the game because people would have been able to smell the 3rd world sh*t coming through their TV's, GTFOH with that bullsh*t, f*ck Canelo too you lil bitch go take a shower.

ANYWAY BACK ON TOPIC - Franklin should've used the money he got from heists to become some sort of drug kingpin like Stringer Bell from the Wire or a ghetto Scarface, instead of some dude that likes to eat chips and iron clothes for fun.

• Skitzo100 likes this

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:45 AM

It takes a while to realize this, since we're misdirected by Michael's prominence in the first trailer and in the prologue where it's established he's the brains in charge of his crew, but Franklin is the main character in GTAV. After the prologue, for a time you can only control Franklin and he's your only point of view of the world. Then in the end he/you decide the ending.

Franklin basically has made it when he gets his new house. What else does he need? Yes, it's a big empty house, and Rockstar has Tanisha comment on that, but the bottom line is Franklin has escaped the lifestyle he wanted to escape.  He won already. He doesn't have to do anything except what the player chooses.

People talk about Trevor as the character who represents player freedom but it's really Franklin.  Trevor and Michael can't change. Trevor is trapped in his insane world; he's rejected society too long to every fit in. Michael is trapped in a juggling act of trying to have it all.  It's Franklin who can do anything he wants. He can go legit or he can steal, he can be a thug or he can be a gentleman.  

Franklin is left as somewhat of a blank slate, because it's up to the player to decide who he is.  As if the choice of endings didn't make that clear.  His empty house and self-imposed isolation is the upgraded version of Claude's silence.  Franklin is you.  You fill in the blanks with yourself.

Franklin cannot be the protagonist of the game. If anyone is it is Michael. The prologue opens Michael's story and the last mission ends it with Trevor and him finding peace with each other, even if Rockstar rushed it. Making the choice doesn't make him a protagonist when he's pretty much not involved in most of the rest of the story. That'd be like saying "Santa Clause is the main character of Nightmare Before Christmas because he saves the day!" You're taking one action and making it mean what you want it to mean. 

Let's turn the logic around. Franklin was given the choice BECAUSE he is NOT the main character. Franklin is a supporting character who is not related to the main conflict at hand. He, unlike Trevor who is a supporting character who is involved in the main plot, and unlike Michael the protagonist of the story, can make the decision. The ending decision isn't all that important anyway because Rockstar clearly told us which one was the true ending. 

Ending A where we kill Trevor and dump the rest of the plots that we were making. 

Ending B where we kill Michael and dump the rest of the plots that we were making. 

or

Ending C where we close off all loose threads and end the story in some manner. 

Gee, I wonder which one could be the true ending. If they put more work into Ending A or B I could see them being the true ending but they didn't put much work into them at all. 

Weird logic aside, let's focus on what makes a protagonist. They are the person the story is about. The main focus of GTA V is Michael and Michael's problems. Franklin's hood problems don't dominate the story, but Michael's family problems and FIB problems and Trevor problems do. Franklin and Trevor alike are both supporting characters for Michael's story. They have stories of their own but they aren't fleshed out and are more of side-notes. Michael starts the story off at the bottom. For him having everything is his lowest point because he has a family that hates him, a wife who cheats on him, and he himself doesn't know what he wants out of life. Meeting Franklin pushes Michael to act out and finding 'the son he never had' inspires him to put his knowledge to use, spurred even moreso by his debt to Madrazzo. Throughout the rest of the story we're dealing mostly with Michael's problems and the issues he has. He grows as a character. He finds out what he wants in life. He gets his family back. How can Franklin be the protagonist in the story about Michael? 

I dislike the whole 'blank slate' excuse, especially in games. Every character has a character unless they are made up by the audience. The only true blank slates are the ones in games like Elder Scrolls where you decide who the player is. Claude is not a blank slate. He's an asshole. How do I know? Because he flips people off. I don't make him flip people off he just does it. He's also very obedient yet not very loyal to anyone unless there is a benefit for him. How do I know? He betrays the mafia rather than turn Maria in. He also kills Kenji without hesitation despite working for him earlier. Samus Aran is not a blank slate. She's a good woman who fights evil. I don't decide that she fights evil. She just does it. She has a character. Other M wasn't a disaster for trying to expand on that character it was a disaster because it failed to properly expand upon her character. 

Franklin is a character. He has characteristics. Franklin doesn't change because he's a static character. Franklin is also not the focus of most of the story. Therefore Franklin is not the protagonist. 

What Franklin is, is a supporting character to Michael's story and probably the most poorly written of the three main cast. 

MindCorrupt
  • MindCorrupt

iCorrupt

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:06 AM

Personally I think he's been left open for future DLC or episodes. It just seems the story with him was just left a bit too incomplete for it not to be expanded upon in later content.

Sordidjaws
  • Sordidjaws

Heist Planner

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:49 AM

TL;DR 

Franklin was boring, he had the potential to be more interesting, damn you Rockstar

Bertanius
  • Bertanius

Hello.

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:18 AM

I think the whole thing comes down to this: Rockstar rushed the story. They rushed the game, everything is broken, so of course when it came to the story, they rushed it, they didn't care about character backgrounds, what they wanted to do, or how something would be done, they just pushed through it, any character personality is thrown out by the end, Franklin doesn't do anything after the story, like you said, he just sits at home, he had much more potential, but they didn't do that, they end the story with the character doing nothing afterwards, in a map with no interaction. Why did they rush it? To get on with the multiplayer thing so they could make more money, they don't care about single player gamers, so why should they care about the story?

Most characters introduced are quickly forgotten too, so it leaves too many questions that are never answered. Sure the missions were unique, but the story was nothing special.

CJ killed Ryder
  • CJ killed Ryder

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:26 PM

Did anyone notice: Franklin Clinton is named after USA presidents Benjamin Franklin and Bill Clinton.

h4mza
  • h4mza

Get Every Dolla'

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

I was wondering the same too. Franklin seems like a pussy type of guy who doesn't want to be in the gangs and lives alone far away from the hood. His only friends are Michael and Trevor. Lamar is quite close to him but he seems to ignore him. I thought he would take the whole Families gang during Lamar Down mission to f*ck the Ballas hard but he used Trevor and Michael lol, does he not have anyone else beside them two?

Michael also seems like a boring type of retired guy as well as lonely Franklin but Trevor is really funny and always upto some crazy sh*t.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:40 PM Edited by xXGst0395Xx, 09 November 2013 - 07:40 PM.

Boy, Shut the f*ck up, I see your bitch ass in every god damn thread talkin about Mexican this, taco that, Hispanic this STFU nobody asked y'all to bring your unhygenic Mexican asses over here to help f*ck up the economy, all you motherf*ckers are good for is bum sh*t that pays 2 dollars a day, that's probably why they did'nt even put East LA in the game because people would have been able to smell the 3rd world sh*t coming through their TV's, GTFOH with that bullsh*t, f*ck Canelo too you lil bitch go take a shower.

Man, you must have felt so proud of yourself with that post.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users