Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story.

710 replies to this topic
carmelo3
  • carmelo3

Prankster

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:58 PM

Tbh Trevor ran from Franklin, and Tommy would make quick work of Franky boy IMO (not saying F is a pussy or anything, he's rather G'd up tbh but let's be real)

So therefore Tommy would lick off Trevor's head back

Zodape
  • Zodape

CABINETS

• The Yardies
  • Argentina

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:15 PM Edited by Zodape, 05 January 2014 - 08:16 PM.

Some people forget that Trevor was really out of character in ending A and Franklin couldn't kill him withou the help of Michael and some luck.

And we can't really determine who would win in a fight that never happened, since the factors determining a confrontation would be endless and could give any of the characters the edge.

Trevor is the strongest character of all and has more chances of coming out alive in a fight. Key word: chances.

And please, don't tell me "A would put a hole in the face of B before he/she reacts". We know B is capable of doing the exact same thing to A.

GTA fan from the United Kingdom
  • GTA fan from the United Kingdom

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

Tbh Trevor ran from Franklin, and Tommy would make quick work of Franky boy IMO (not saying F is a pussy or anything, he's rather G'd up tbh but let's be real)

Have you seen how hench Franklin is? As dangerous as Tommy was, Franklin would have him for breakfast.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

Have you seen how hench Franklin is? As dangerous as Tommy was, Franklin would have him for breakfast.

Yeah sure, he'd receive him for f*cking breakfast and make him his meals before he'd actually stand up for himself.

McGyver55
  • McGyver55

Easter Egg Casualty

• Members

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:33 PM

To whom it may concern... (@ the OP)

Even though I totally applaud your screen name (only GassyViking would be cooler), The large print scared my eyeballs and they refused to read too much of the post... but kudos on being both drunk and being a cowboy while writing so loudly.

I'm only drunk right now, so I'll go with conclusion number 1... wait ... there was only one conclusion...

Yes...  

GTA V does have an identity crisis... I don't know what the f**k is ever going on... you are 3 f**king people at once... one minute you are playing fetch with your dog or returning someone's lost walrus, next you are torturing people or doing yoga... doing f**king yoga... yoga man... say that out loud... Yoga in GTA... weird hu? 

Yeah, no... maybe in "Pokeman Legend Of The Lost Yoga Mat"... but GTA? 

Did it even get you anything? NO...

Just annoyed because I didn't get anything for it... beside annoyed... (its a vicious circle)

Then thats not even counting the f**king jetpack hunt, which who the hell knows if that was even ever fully finished as a feature... 

I just realized I wrote walrus instead of wallet... thats pretty funny...

Back to your conclusion... yeah I don't know if you are right that it is Rockstar alone that hypes the game...

My impression is all they ever do is make vague "maybe it will have have" and "we would like to include or implement" comments in 30,000 "exclusive" interviews with every game site/mag writer and their one eyed grandmother, and then the idiot writers fan the flames of hype by fantasizing what the f**k the mystical babble spewed by the Knob being interviewed might have meant... they do that enough that by the time the f**king game comes out we have no idea what was promised and what was a medically induced hallucination... They hype it too but in a different way, by pretending to be tight lipped about it... 

Yoga... 

Sorry I'm still bothered by that... really, if I told you I'm working on a HALO type game that was going to have space marines, and aliens, and big bad assed plasma guns and yoga and huge destructible environments... you'd stop me and say "excuse me... did you just say Yoga?" and if I said "yeah... yoga..."

99.867 % of you would throw a net over me and call the loony collector... if you had a net handy... and if your local authorities actually had loony collectors...

Yoga...

Yeah... the whole story seemed like it was written by that kid you knew in high school... the one you were friends with even though he always smelled like some eastern european cheese...

That kid who was possibly a little smart or really dangerously crazy... so much so you never wanted to look in his closet for fear it would be full of severed human heads...

That same kid who was always showing up late for class or missing homework, he was a mess but he still would pass somehow... 

Its like he wrote the story... and it was HUGE... a big story full of all sorts of side stories and back stories and amazing extra characters and the whole thing was wrapped in a big deep mystery and on the day that story was due he was running late so he jammed all the papers into a beat-up old binder and ran off to turn it in... and on the way he fell down a really long flight of stairs outside and being that was windy, most of the story blew away... and all he was left with was like randomly 60% of the pages... so he gathered it all back together and stuffed it back in the binder and handed it in anyway, hoping people wouldn't realize because they were fixated on his musty cheese smell.

You know what I mean?

I hope so... because I'm not so sure I do anymore...

I forgot if I was agreeing with you or not...

It seems like I was but I'm running out of tequila so I should probably go now...

But I liked the game... except for the parts I didn't like... and that f**king awful horrible crappy stupid useless digital manual which I can't delete from my goddamn iPhone.

• gunziness, Cutter De Blanc, razorsharkhead and 2 others like this

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:38 AM

I don't see an identity crisis. GTA has never been about black and white characters, and it's really no different here. The real difference is that instead of focusing on ONE main character, you have a mix of 3 separate characters, and how they relate to each other.

None of these characters are "good", and we don't see any of them "struggle" with their identities in the way past characters did, but that is an overused story angle anyway. The closest any of them come to questioning any of their decisions is when Trevor continuously brings up Michael's betrayal, or when Lamar constantly badgers Franklin over not remaining loyal to the streets.

These are perhaps the most shallow of all of GTA's past characters, but it doesn't mean GTA has an identity crisis. It simply means that we didn't get the usual "conflict of character decision making" that we usually get. The only character I thoroughly liked was Trevor, and that was because he is the biggest badass of all GTA characters. Even so, he did show a sense of loyalty to anyone he considered a friend, and was genuinely hurt by Michael, who in my opinion, was one of the shallowest of all GTA characters. I never DID reach any point where I found him to be redeemable.

Niobium
  • Niobium

TREVOR FANBOYS LIVES DON'T MATTER

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:54 AM Edited by nobum62, 02 February 2014 - 04:55 AM.

OP, your topic has been nominated for the GTA Awards: Best GTA Topic of 2013.

http://gtaforums.com...-topic-of-2013/

you f*cking nailed it with this thread.
  • Drunken Cowboy likes this

Officer Ronson
  • Officer Ronson

''Cool it, assholes''

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

Nobum you nominated it yourself. Was it really bump worthy?

• Captain Arthur likes this

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

Proud GTA/Nintendo Fanboy

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

Exactly.

Only you nominated it, Nobum. I don't think many people would vote for it as it's long as hell and there are many better threads.

I'm not trying to insult Drunken Cowboy, but he could've made it shorter so that people could read it. Not everybody has the time to read that long ass topic.

And no, it wasn't bump worthy. People have already discussed this to death. 

Niobium
  • Niobium

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:24 PM Edited by nobum62, 02 February 2014 - 02:25 PM.

oh...... sh*t...

I honestly thought it has to be lots of people to nominate a thread in order for it to be on a poll...

I feel dumb now....

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:29 PM

oh...... sh*t...

I honestly thought it has to be lots of people to nominate a thread in order for it to be on a poll...

I feel dumb now....

Don't worry about it. Some people might vote for it. Who knows. 

kailomonkey
  • kailomonkey

Gunman of Fort Carson

• Members

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:25 PM

Hi

I didn't have a problem with the game's story until I was reading this. Not that I now take your point of view as Gospel, but that thinking about my own expereience of the game, you're right it sucked. I agree with most everything.

I am not sure we're meant to "like" Trevor but understand we should if the story was strong. The three protagonist types were useful in giving different fans of GTA games a protagonist each they could play as. In a way Franklin was the CJ, Michael was one of the white protagonists of the past and Trevor was the pure GTA we'd never seen before.

But as you pointed out, those characters were flawed. And looking back the three character's were barely explored at all, as well as the antagonists. I felt like the feel and identity of V were that of shallowness and care-free East Coast life reflected in the character's lack of depth. But I would agree that each character could have had a much more focused story of their own, heists could have been more numerous and unique, the environment could have been better utilised.

However, as massive as the environment was, it would have been a huge amount of content to utilise it all. It would have also been a huge and lengthy amount of content to fully tell each character's story, and perhaps this is something to come in DLC in the future, making this but an introduction. There's no way to get past the anti-climactic ending disguised as a climax though, killing pointless people.

Conclusion, agree. GTA V seems to be more about the technical achievement of heists, environment and multiple characters, and less about those achievements to tell a great and satisfying story. Still playing GTAO though...

• Official General likes this

Schismatist
  • Schismatist

The forum asshole

• Members

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

I don't believe the game's story is perfect, I believe there are plenty of ways the game could have been better executed, but I absolutely love the three protagonist dynamic. If I had to choose which character the story would focus on... I cant, each character compliments eachother. From the start of the game, right after Mr. Phillips, you have absolute Moby Dick vibes going on. You have Michael as Ahab, Franklin as Ishmael, and Trevor is Moby Dick. The one that Michael warns Franklin of, and Franklin simply suggests that they bust a cap in Trevor before things go wrong. Now, I'm not certain if the allegory was intentional(probably isn't), but the story goes on to show that there's more to it than that. Mr.Phillips is made to express how vile, impulsive, and intimidating of a person Trevor is, but as the story goes on we see more and more of Trevor exposed, his value towards loyalty, and though he doesn't have a glorious moral compass, it's an uncompromising one. Which is unlike Michael and Franklin, who are more or less just as dangerous as Trevor, but at least more calculated about their criminal acts.

Truth is, I love this game's dynamic, I love all three protagonists, I love the individual roles each character plays, Michael just wouldn't work for me as the only protagonist because even though we're thrown into the middle of his life, dealing with problems he caused and dragged the other character's into... It still feels like Franklin and Trevor play a very essential part, with Trevor showing you that sometimes things are more complex than just killing a person who seems to be a threat, and Franklin being the POV who makes the final decision in the game that helps wrap up Michael and Trevor's relationship(in any ending I would say this still applies). In real life circumstances, haven't you had moments where a friend or you who is unrelated to the situation sometimes is the one with the best judgment? I think that's what Franklin is to the story, he isn't like Michael or Trevor, where they've either been stuck living in past glories(Trevor) or, trying to forget the past and move on(Michael).

• UtterTehSEAL likes this

BENNO__64
  • BENNO__64

THE LOST MC AUS. CHAPTERS

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:35 AM

A f*cking sad surprise, I thought, well f*ck, why not have Niko pop up out of nowhere and BAM! Lester uses a drone and wipes Niko's ass off the planet.

Like fair enough, Johnny was convinced or peer pressured into doing Meth by Ashley (Possibly again, since Ash was a meth junkie back in GTA:4) And used the Guns and Drugs trade that Trevor was trying to overrun in Blane County.
So, of course Trevor had a hostile attitude towards the Blane County LOST MC Chapter President Johnny and fellow LOST MC members due to them also running a Guns and Drug trade. 

• Captain Arthur likes this

optimusmike777
  • optimusmike777

clear eyes, full heart

• Members

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

dude you clearly don't understand any of the game

Niobium
  • Niobium

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

okay.... and....?

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 09 February 2014 - 05:48 PM Edited by Gta_V_Fan_101, 09 February 2014 - 05:48 PM.

okay.... and....?

And OP doesn't understand the game. :p

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

okay.... and....?

And OP doesn't understand the game. :p

Elaborate

Captain Arthur
  • Captain Arthur

• Members
  • Bahrain

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:41 PM

No no. I was just saying what optimusmike was trying to say.

gunziness
  • gunziness

Homeboy

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

To whom it may concern... (@ the OP)

Even though I totally applaud your screen name (only GassyViking would be cooler), The large print scared my eyeballs and they refused to read too much of the post... but kudos on being both drunk and being a cowboy while writing so loudly.

I'm only drunk right now, so I'll go with conclusion number 1... wait ... there was only one conclusion...

Yes...  

GTA V does have an identity crisis... I don't know what the f**k is ever going on... you are 3 f**king people at once... one minute you are playing fetch with your dog or returning someone's lost walrus, next you are torturing people or doing yoga... doing f**king yoga... yoga man... say that out loud... Yoga in GTA... weird hu? 
Yeah, no... maybe in "Pokeman Legend Of The Lost Yoga Mat"... but GTA? 
Did it even get you anything? NO...
Just annoyed because I didn't get anything for it... beside annoyed... (its a vicious circle)
Then thats not even counting the f**king jetpack hunt, which who the hell knows if that was even ever fully finished as a feature... 
I just realized I wrote walrus instead of wallet... thats pretty funny...
Back to your conclusion... yeah I don't know if you are right that it is Rockstar alone that hypes the game...
My impression is all they ever do is make vague "maybe it will have have" and "we would like to include or implement" comments in 30,000 "exclusive" interviews with every game site/mag writer and their one eyed grandmother, and then the idiot writers fan the flames of hype by fantasizing what the f**k the mystical babble spewed by the Knob being interviewed might have meant... they do that enough that by the time the f**king game comes out we have no idea what was promised and what was a medically induced hallucination... They hype it too but in a different way, by pretending to be tight lipped about it... 
Yoga... 
Sorry I'm still bothered by that... really, if I told you I'm working on a HALO type game that was going to have space marines, and aliens, and big bad assed plasma guns and yoga and huge destructible environments... you'd stop me and say "excuse me... did you just say Yoga?" and if I said "yeah... yoga..."
99.867 % of you would throw a net over me and call the loony collector... if you had a net handy... and if your local authorities actually had loony collectors...
Yoga...
Yeah... the whole story seemed like it was written by that kid you knew in high school... the one you were friends with even though he always smelled like some eastern european cheese...
That kid who was possibly a little smart or really dangerously crazy... so much so you never wanted to look in his closet for fear it would be full of severed human heads...
That same kid who was always showing up late for class or missing homework, he was a mess but he still would pass somehow... 
Its like he wrote the story... and it was HUGE... a big story full of all sorts of side stories and back stories and amazing extra characters and the whole thing was wrapped in a big deep mystery and on the day that story was due he was running late so he jammed all the papers into a beat-up old binder and ran off to turn it in... and on the way he fell down a really long flight of stairs outside and being that was windy, most of the story blew away... and all he was left with was like randomly 60% of the pages... so he gathered it all back together and stuffed it back in the binder and handed it in anyway, hoping people wouldn't realize because they were fixated on his musty cheese smell.
You know what I mean?
I hope so... because I'm not so sure I do anymore...
I forgot if I was agreeing with you or not...
It seems like I was but I'm running out of tequila so I should probably go now...

But I liked the game... except for the parts I didn't like... and that f**king awful horrible crappy stupid useless digital manual which I can't delete from my goddamn iPhone.

Best post i have ever seen in this thread before.

killerbee25
  • killerbee25

Kaz...I'm already a demon...

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

Sorry for the bump,but I just saw this topic in the Awards topic (congratulations by the way,have some cookies :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie:  :cookie: ), and wanted to say that even though I liked the main characters and even some of the side ones, the antagonists really felt kind of "forced",like I believe you said. I mean, Weston and Haines kind of fitted(I would have prefered if Weston was the "secondary" villain and Haines the main one,leading to a "super FIB showdown" ),but Stretch was absolutely useless and the Chinese boss could have gotten way more character developement if a sort of Triad variant was introduced. Overall, I'd have to say that the antagonists were the biggest letdown of the game for me (apart from the heist planning,but that's a different story).

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

Blennerville
  • Blennerville

Trick

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

You lost me when you try to say GTA4 has a much better story and Trevor is a bad GTA character.

GTA4's story might hold together better and is generally more sound and better told but that doesnt mean mean it is a better GTA story - which is why people didnt like it, me included.

The idea of GTA5's story is good but it did turn into a bit of a clusterf**k but it was still a better story for GTA compared to 4's.

GTA5 is not great but it is better than GTA4 and Trevor is GTA.

TBOGT - that is better than both, that is a good GTA story.

Henning88
  • Henning88

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

gta 5 story got ruined as soon as you start working for haines. Would have been awesome to first develop solid backstories for each protagonist. I enjoyed the missions but when i go back and replay, i realise that there could have been so much more to the story. They could have developed trevors backstory alot more, with his meth business, could have been awesome like breaking bad, and really had the potential to develop some very solid villains instead of a random ortega guy and some farmers?? lol

with franklin i know san andreas did the ghetto thing already but SO WHAT, i dont mind redoing the gang stories, gang wars thing in ps3/ 360 graphics engine, hate when people say its been done already in the ps2 era, they would rather have a boring franklin with no story just because theyve done it already on the ps2 era gta.

univ69
  • univ69

Godzilla flyin' on a Pegasaurus

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

with franklin i know san andreas did the ghetto thing already but SO WHAT, i dont mind redoing the gang stories, gang wars thing in ps3/ 360 graphics engine, hate when people say its been done already in the ps2 era, they would rather have a boring franklin with no story just because theyve done it already on the ps2 era gta.

I actually want a gang related GTA really bad. Unlike most of you people, I'm not that big a fan of those 3D era graphics, even if the gameplay is decent. So I would've REALLY enjoyed a whole other story about a LS hood gang in the HD era. Don't even get me started on a new GTA about a biker gang.

• Kafonix likes this

Henning88
  • Henning88

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

I actually want a gang related GTA really bad. Unlike most of you people, I'm not that big a fan of those 3D era graphics, even if the gameplay is decent. So I would've REALLY enjoyed a whole other story about a LS hood gang in the HD era. Don't even get me started on a new GTA about a biker gang.

Thats what i meant, would be great to do hood story aswell as trevor micheal stories etc, would provide great replay value if we had gang wars etc, just something else to do, at the moment franklins only worth playing because of his special ability, its fun to use in traffic jams etc at high speeds.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:56 AM

Did you really get that, though?

San Andreas wasn't my favorite, but it definitely was different driving around and shooting people from my hydraulic low-rider for wearing different color clothing than us. If they gave us that chance while simultaneously allowing us to switch to backwoods redneck and suit-wearing Vinewood yuppie whenever I wanted to.

But apparently I got hoodie-wearing Vinewood Hills yuppie, suit-wearing yuppie, and the guy that's drunk and in his underwear in the middle of nowhere 60% of the time I switch to him.

• Blingy, B Dawg, Biohazard Abyss and 2 others like this

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Big Homie

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

After reading the entire post to some System of a Down music, I took an entire different approach to V's story, and found it surprising how a forum member can come up with a story and ideas more interesting and better than an entire company's. I have always known and admitted that V's story sucks, but never have I cared, up to this part. Your post opened up my mind so much more concerning the game, that so many opportunities have been wasted, that it just hurts my heart that R* can come up with such a stupid story. I still consider V a masterpiece, but my god, does it have horrible writing. I always considered V's story like a sports car that looks beautiful, but cannot even get up to 20 MPH. It was beautifully presented, but ultimately, there's no point in presenting something in such an amazing manner if what you want to show is sh*t.

For one, I'd like to talk about Trevor a bit. For starters, I completely agree with you. He is like a robot created to kill. I know it's GTA, and because it's GTA, that's one of the reasons I never cared that the story is sh*t, but after reading your post, I take a different view on him. I don't look at him negatively, but my likeness for him is not like it was before I read what you just wrote. Normally, I'd brush it off, saying it's GTA, but looking at Trevor's character more deeply, I just cannot understand. What made him kill Johnny and take down an entire gang? Because he can? Wow, Rockstar, is that interesting... not.

I'm gonna try and stop there, but let me say this. I never expected GTA V to have a 10/10 story, but I'm going to say it again, your post opened up my mind about the game's writing a lot more. Just so much wasted opportunity.

I personally want to thank you for taking your time to write all of this.

• Scaglietti, Niobium and Kafonix like this

OneManCrimeWave
  • OneManCrimeWave

The One Lovable yet Deadly Human Criminal Conspiracy

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

Quick question for mods - is it okay to still use this thread? I know people haven't been on it for a while and I don't want to post something important only to have the entire thread closed.

~Tiger~
  • ~Tiger~

• GTA Series Staff
  • None
  • Best Ledby 2015
    Best Ledby 2014
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

Yeah, go ahead, thanks for asking  ;)

• TheOtherRyan and OneManCrimeWave like this

Pemp
  • Pemp

Whaaatt?!?!

• Members

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:27 AM

I absolutely agree with everything you said. I felt this way immediately after I finished the story a year ago. But I recently finished the story again and now I can say with certainty, that it was truly disappointing. There was no point in the story where I felt close to any of the characters, especially Trevor. I think that because of the 3 protagonists-idea and the lack of length in the story, there just wasn't enough time for the characters to develop. The characters had some real potential, but it never got anywhere. 

And about the antagonists, I think it's hard to create one that has a real effect on all three characters. I mean it could've, and maybe should've, been Dave after he betrays Micheal by doing something that'll leave him with nothing. The only reason that it was Devon Weston was because he hired all three of them, and never paid them. It was the only antagonist for all three characters. 

At the end of the day, it just seems unfinished. I was surprised by the ending, because I didn't expect the story to end at a point where there was no leading up to. In all previous GTA games, the characters were driven by something. Niko; Revenge, CJ; getting Grove Street back on the map. That thing could've been Micheal's family when they leave him, but again it was rushed and his family is back before you know it. For a moment I thought that the Union Depository mission would be that thing, as Trevor and Micheal set aside their bickering and agreed to do "the big one". But instead of that, Trevor remained angry at Micheal and stayed that way until they made up overnight after killing Devon Weston. 

I'm just so disappointed in this game. I lived up to it so much, just like everybody else and maybe that's why it's so disappointing for a lot of long-time GTA-fans. That in combination with Rockstar's desire to try something new, just didn't come together as everyone had hoped. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users