Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story.

686 replies to this topic
BlackScout
  • BlackScout

30/12 - 02/01 - 06/01 - 09/01

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:09 AM

After PC Release I'm going to read it entirely, and check If I can agree or not.
I'm one who didn't liked GTA: SA story

Spoiler
*don't piss me off plz*, but lots of people liked, so...
I still need to play to decide.

ScreenSavior
  • ScreenSavior

The opposite of swag.

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:20 AM

420, JUST BLAZE!

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Lt Phill Bellic. Law Enforcement Enthusiast.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:17 AM

and last but not least, we have trevor being replaced by.... guess what. a trevor fanboy! and we'll name him phillip for sh*ts and giggles. music stays the same

- dan houser: i ever tell you about phillip?

- phillip: ah, AH-CHOO! ugh.

- random guy one: major idiot

- random guy two: reeeeeeeeal trevor fanboy type sh*t

- phillip: STOP MAKING FUN OF TREVOR OR I'LL KICK YOUR ASS.

- phillip: *smashes keyboard out of anger*

- phillip to dan houser: MAN YOU CREATED THE BEST CHARACTER EVER *hugs him*

- OP #1 to phillip: please go and ruin somebody else's thread

- *phillip laughing at a forum thread*

- phillip: i don't care if trevor's inconsistent, i find him funny alright?

- phillip: very funny! i mean as long as he does random sh*t

- phillip *smashing his keyboard at the thread complaining about johnny's death* JOHNNY THE JEW'S A PUSSY!

- forum member with tommy vercetti avatar speaking to moderator: just keep him banned off the forums.

- phillip: *looking at that forum member's avatar of tommy vercetti* nur nur tommy is sh*t compared to trevor.

- dan houser: why do you love trevor so much?

- phillip: *in his room with trevor posters everywhere playing gta 5, watching trevor say "you want me to get my dick out again?"* HAHAHA SO FUNNIE

- phillip: i love him because he's crazy and kills people for no reason

- phillip: *being butthurt about post someone made criticizing trevor's character* WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

- phillip: gta 5 would be sh*t without trevor.

- phillip: *breaking monitor with fireaxe out of pure anger*

- phillip: *burning computer box with gasoline and matches*

- OP #2: who do you think would win in a fight? niko or trev--

- phillip: TREVOR WOULD DESTROY NIKO

Yay, you used my name, I feel honoured. :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:  :lol: 

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

nobum62
  • nobum62

A Fat Bald Dude with a Bad Temper

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

and last but not least, we have trevor being replaced by.... guess what. a trevor fanboy! and we'll name him phillip for sh*ts and giggles. music stays the same

- dan houser: i ever tell you about phillip?

- phillip: ah, AH-CHOO! ugh.

- random guy one: major idiot

- random guy two: reeeeeeeeal trevor fanboy type sh*t

- phillip: STOP MAKING FUN OF TREVOR OR I'LL KICK YOUR ASS.

- phillip: *smashes keyboard out of anger*

- phillip to dan houser: MAN YOU CREATED THE BEST CHARACTER EVER *hugs him*

- OP #1 to phillip: please go and ruin somebody else's thread

- *phillip laughing at a forum thread*

- phillip: i don't care if trevor's inconsistent, i find him funny alright?

- phillip: very funny! i mean as long as he does random sh*t

- phillip *smashing his keyboard at the thread complaining about johnny's death* JOHNNY THE JEW'S A PUSSY!

- forum member with tommy vercetti avatar speaking to moderator: just keep him banned off the forums.

- phillip: *looking at that forum member's avatar of tommy vercetti* nur nur tommy is sh*t compared to trevor.

- dan houser: why do you love trevor so much?

- phillip: *in his room with trevor posters everywhere playing gta 5, watching trevor say "you want me to get my dick out again?"* HAHAHA SO FUNNIE

- phillip: i love him because he's crazy and kills people for no reason

- phillip: *being butthurt about post someone made criticizing trevor's character* WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

- phillip: gta 5 would be sh*t without trevor.

- phillip: *breaking monitor with fireaxe out of pure anger*

- phillip: *burning computer box with gasoline and matches*

- OP #2: who do you think would win in a fight? niko or trev--

- phillip: TREVOR WOULD DESTROY NIKO

Yay, you used my name, I feel honoured. :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:  :lol:

ty for the cookie! i used phillip because it would be funny having a fanboy of trevor to have trevor's last name as his first name

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Trevor destroys Niko.

I don't like going around saying that it's a fact, but it is a fact.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:49 PM

Trevor destroys Niko.

He could be destroyed, but he wouldn't go down without an epic, bloody fight. He wouldn't end up on hot sand, in the middle of the desert with his brains splattered everywhere. *cough cough*

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Let's remove those Santa hats, guys...

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2013 "The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story."

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

Trevor destroys Niko.

Just the fact he would beat the sh*t out of him doesn't make him a better character.

I'm thinking of a character. He's half-cyborg, and his arms are made out of guns. And his head is made out of guns. And his dick is made out of guns. He doesn't engage in plot, themes, or dialogue, he just shoots people with all his guns.

He meets Niko and kills him. I still think Niko's the more three-dimensional, BETTER character...

• nobum62 likes this

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:48 PM Edited by Zodape, 04 December 2013 - 07:49 PM.

Trevor destroys Niko.

Just the fact he would beat the sh*t out of him doesn't make him a better character.

I'm thinking of a character. He's half-cyborg, and his arms are made out of guns. And his head is made out of guns. And his dick is made out of guns. He doesn't engage in plot, themes, or dialogue, he just shoots people with all his guns.

He meets Niko and kills him. I still think Niko's the more three-dimensional, BETTER character...

...but I never said Trevor was a better character. That's really up to you.

When I said that Trevor destroys Niko is that, in a fight, Trevor would win. Just that.

:)

Trevor destroys Niko.

He could be destroyed, but he wouldn't go down without an epic, bloody fight. He wouldn't end up on hot sand, in the middle of the desert with his brains splattered everywhere. *cough cough*

Yeah, Niko is badass indeed. Him, Claude and Tommy are the only ones who would put up a good fight against Trevor.

nobum62
  • nobum62

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:32 PM

Trevor destroys Niko.

it's hilarious how people think that trevor can kill niko.

i mean, trevor is just a dirty hillbilly junkie who yells a lot. 

for niko however,  did you see how he f*cked up that guy in Three's a Crowd? and the other one in Russian Revolution?

and i don't care that trevor is psychopathic. if you apply the yellow car meme to niko, he becomes 10x more psychopathic than trevor, with him going on a joyride in a yellow sports car running over people and crashing into cars screaming "YELLOW CAR!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRGH"

• shadyslady and Zodape like this

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

I already explained a few posts above why I think Trevor would kill Niko, no need to repeat that.

Niko has a badass easter european accent and a sexy serbian sprinting, I'll give him that.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

Trevor destroys Niko.

Oh please. All they'd have to do is inexplicably write Niko into the story as a heroin junkie, and the same would happen to him.
Based on the merrits of GTA IV Niko, Johnny, and even Luis, they could all beat the crap outta Trevor individually.

But that's based hardly on anything other than observation.

shadyslady
  • shadyslady

I've never been popular - I don't mean to start now

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

Funny how you can argue about some video game chars who don't really exist and aren't even comparable. ...oh well. ..let me join in....Niko is younger, actually fought in a war, killed a lot more people than Trevor, lot more dangerous people. He doesn't need stats fo improve. He also shoots better out of a car...before it will come to showdown between Niko and Trevor, the latter will die of a drug overdose or some sexual disease he caught while f*cking another male skank in the desert.

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:43 PM Edited by Zodape, 04 December 2013 - 10:46 PM.

Trevor destroys Niko.

Oh please. All they'd have to do is inexplicably write Niko into the story as a heroin junkie, and the same would happen to him.
Based on the merrits of GTA IV Niko, Johnny, and even Luis, they could all beat the crap outta Trevor individually.

9:47

And don't forget that he simply breaks into a military base to steal a Cargobob to use in a heist that involves robbing a nuke.

Funny how you can argue about some video game chars who don't really exist and aren't even comparable.

Arguing? I think we are all having a healthy dicussion here, unless I'm missing something in the previous posts. And what's wrong with discussing about this kind of stuff? I think it's interesting.

Also, some people forget here that Trevor recieved military training aswell.

He is ridiculously overpowered.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:48 PM Edited by ThroatSlasher2, 04 December 2013 - 10:50 PM.

Trevor destroys Niko.

...but I never said Trevor was a better character. That's really up to you.

When I said that Trevor destroys Niko is that, in a fight, Trevor would win. Just that.

:)

Trevor destroys Niko.

Yeah, Niko is badass indeed. Him, Claude and Tommy are the only ones who would put up a good fight against Trevor.

While Trevor would be frantically screaming his head out at him, Claude would just stand there, silently, and put a bullet between his eyes, and walk away in silence, like the pure badass he is.

Claude didn't had to yell idiotic sh*t all the time, or make us believe he'd f*ck anyone or anything in the whole State, he just killed without mercy or remorse, and never spoke a word about it.

• Zodape and Drunken Cowboy like this

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

While Trevor would be frantically screaming his head out at him, Claude would just stand there, silently, and put a bullet between his eyes, and walk away in silence, like the pure badass he is.

Haha, maybe. He really is the definition of badass. No doubt he is my favorite protag.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:10 AM

To all of the above, why do you all feel that when two characters meet for the first time they instantly want to kill each other?

In my story involving Niko and Trevor they would meet for the first time, exchange their various insults ant realise they have very similar personalities and histories (both have sociopathic tendancies and mannerisms). Niko and Trevor would recount their childhood, shared military background/training, their abusive fathers and I feel that they would become very good friends. :)

Do you feel that would make for an interesting story?

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:28 AM

@PhillBellic, while it would be interesting, I doubt that Niko and Trevor could ever get along. I mean, if Niko even as uttered an insult to Trevor, Trevor would go apesh*t and attempt to kill him. And Niko is smart enough not to associate himself with someone as mentally unstable as Trevor. In the end, they would either part ways for fight. No doubt about it.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:40 AM

@PhillBellic, while it would be interesting, I doubt that Niko and Trevor could ever get along. I mean, if Niko even as uttered an insult to Trevor, Trevor would go apesh*t and attempt to kill him. And Niko is smart enough not to associate himself with someone as mentally unstable as Trevor. In the end, they would either part ways for fight. No doubt about it.

You bring up certain insights that I had not thought of. Now I remember that Niko didn't want to commit crime and wanted out. I also feel that NB has an ability to keep his emotions in check more than Trevor. Well anyway I thought my friendship story would be a welcome break from all the killing et al posts above. :colgate:

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:45 AM

You bring up certain insights that I had not thought of. Now I remember that Niko didn't want to commit crime and wanted out. I also feel that NB has an ability to keep his emotions in check more than Trevor. Well anyway I thought my friendship story would be a welcome break from all the killing et al posts above. :colgate:

With Niko's accent and Trevor's baldness, they could be unstoppable.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:07 AM

With Niko's accent and Trevor's baldness, they could be unstoppable.

It would certainly make for an interesting team.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:52 AM

Trevor destroys Niko.

9:47

And don't forget that he simply breaks into a military base to steal a Cargobob to use in a heist that involves robbing a nuke.

Funny how you can argue about some video game chars who don't really exist and aren't even comparable.

Arguing? I think we are all having a healthy dicussion here, unless I'm missing something in the previous posts. And what's wrong with discussing about this kind of stuff? I think it's interesting.

Also, some people forget here that Trevor recieved military training aswell.

He is ridiculously overpowered.

How is being a pilot make him Overpowered. He was a pilot in his army and maybe received a little bit of hand to hand combat. Niko on the other hand got taught how to fly a helicopter and hand to hand combat with gun training. He was taught how to survive in the war and was in one while Trevor wasn't. Also the fact Niko isn't using any drugs so he could easily trick Trevor and kill him fast. Trevor is all out angry and that would get him killed faster while Niko would hold it back to the job is done. 

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:38 AM Edited by Zodape, 05 December 2013 - 07:53 AM.

Really? You just ignored the fact he introduced a cropduster inside a military plane, killed everyone inside and told the air force to f*ck off while he stole the very same plane, on his own?
Again, really?

Buut at least you actually gave a few reasons why Niko could beat Trevor and I appreciate that.

I still think that if Trevor is able to do all those crazy missions, I'm sure he could defeat Niko after tough fight.
  • Officer Ronson likes this

am30
  • am30

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

Trevor destroys Niko.

You sure do like hating on Trevor.  I bet if he didn't stomp on the junkie bikers head you'd love him.

I don't think either is better than the other, they're both great characters but for different reasosn.  I really can't rate one higher than the other.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

I thought it went without saying (Ha ha, puns...) that Claude could obviously kill every GTA protagonist at once.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

Trevor destroys Niko.

You sure do like hating on Trevor.  I bet if he didn't stomp on the junkie bikers head you'd love him.

I don't think either is better than the other, they're both great characters but for different reasosn.  I really can't rate one higher than the other.

I thought my other, what? Six paragraphs explain why I think he's a FLAWED character in general...

The killing of the bikers is a more of "what the f*ck, Rockstar?" than "fuk u trevur".

I would probably still not have liked it OVERALL, but I would have appreciated Trevor more as a character if he; say, killed Johnny in a "final boss" style fight, with Johnny as GTA IV era badass Johnny.

I could believe maybe one or two of the things that happened...

- Johnny and the gang moved to San Andreas

- Johnny got hooked back on meth

- Johnny got back together with Ashley

- Clay and Terry got killed without a fight

- Johnny K. got killed without a fight

But the fact that ALL those totally IV-violating factors occured in GTA V just proves what lazy and oblivious sh*ts R* is. The only audience they aimed to please in GTA V was the San Andreas fanbase, which understandably is their best economic decision. But they could have easily done that without throwing TLaD fans under the bus in the real "f*ck you" manner they did it in.

• nobum62 likes this

Zodape
  • Zodape

Brilliant Gentleman

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

That's storyline's fault, not Trevor's.

Even if he killed my favourite protag instead of Johnny, I would have still gave him a chance and my opinion about him wouldn't be any different from now.

Jimbatron
  • Jimbatron

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

The OP has some well written arguments, but I disagree on a number of counts.

I think this hatred of "Trevor" is misplaced. I found him a pitiable character. Driven by uncontrollable rage, deeply unhappy and unable to admit it to himself or his friends. Particularly obvious if you've done the Mr Phillips strangers and freaks, but prevalent in other parts to a lesser degree. Particularly when you hear him recount the story to Wade about his history with Michael. Michael was clearly a stabalising influence on Tervor - albiet one that sent him on bank robberies, but it appeared to atleast give him a sense of structure and purpose beyond indiscriminate violence. The thought the Michael abandoned him, or worse yet betrayed him was clearly too much to bear. Particularly evident if you choose the kill Trevor option.

I understand the sentiment about him killing Johnny K. Arguably, he had some of the most admirable traits of the three IV progtagonists, based on loyalty and kindness to those close. However, the thing that really killed him was Ashley. If you thought at the end of TLAD he was never going to speak to her again, then well, you didn't know him. He was clearly as adicted to her as she was to meth, and it was always going to end badly. When I first saw "that scene" though, playing it on release day, I did wonder if I was going to struggle to play as a character who had killed another one I liked. However, as time goes on you come to pity Trevor. And in any event, you don't have to like a character for them to be a great character. Ray Boccino was a brilliant supporting cast, even though he'd clearly have stabbed his own mother in the back.

I also disagree about the point with there being no central antagonist. The reason there is more than one is to make Option C make sense. They all have a character who is mostly out to get them, and it is what makes bringing the three together most plausible, despite their own struggles with each other.

nobum62
  • nobum62

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:11 AM

If you thought at the end of TLAD he was never going to speak to her again, then well, you didn't know him.

what.... can't you see how out-of-character he was in gta 5? now it's time to copy and paste the same paragraph i always copy and paste:

"at the end of TLAD the player can call angus and johnny will say:

"i'll try to cut my ties with the lost."
"i finally got ashley out of my head. she has that need to f*ck up everything around her"

the player can also call ashley. ashley will ask johnny for forty dollars and johnny will say:
"you can kill yourself on your own ash."

he knows it is to pay off her debts or to buy drugs.

johnny was also an ex-addict and HATED drugs, especially after seeing what it has done to ashley. also, johnny did not foreshadow at all he was gonna do drugs

5 years later, we see johnny as a meth addict still in the lost going "HURR DURR WHY U F*CKING ASHLEY WAAAAAAA"

f*ck you cockstar for making johnny's character inconsistant. F*CK YOU.

that would be like luis saying "OYE, MEAT EATERS AND PET OWNERS ARE F*CKING SATANISTS BRO" and ditches tony to become president of PETA. then 5 years later we see luis in a cutscene, then he falls down the stairs and breaks his neck within one minute. that would be out of character and luis wouldn't die so easily."

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:23 AM

@nobum62: Ex-addicts can relapse, and often do when put under a lot of stress.  Also remember that he was surrounded by habitual durg users.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

Even though I have found to dislike Trevor as a character and human being over my second and third playthrough, I still find him funny sometimes. I'm sorry, but I just kept laughing during the part in the storyline where you can clearly see Trevor's arrival effects on Floyd's life and apartment. Blood stains everywhere, beer bottles, sh*t stains, dildos lying around. Just imagining the awful things Floyd had to live through during this moment had me giggle a lot

However, it is true that he doesn't make much sense. Trevor just seems like a character that is just a blend of ridiculous, over-the-top ideas that R* had. He's not just a deranged psychopath with anger issues, he's a dumb, bisexual, necrophiliac, meth addict, bully, bestialist and a raper. I think Trevor could have been a much more interesting character if he had been, let's say, a mix between the Joker and Hulk. He could have been an extremely intelligent psychopath, but if you f*ck with him too much, he gets very angry and can't control himself. That could easily have explained the fact he's so controlled during missions and heists BUT can also wreak havoc and kill people without remorse.

• nobum62 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users