Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story.

710 replies to this topic
Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

I thought about one thing today while replaying the missions. In "Trevor Phillips Industries" Ortega's people are attacking the meth lab to repay Trevor for the lose of their kitchen (Ortega's trailer). What if Mandrazo would work with Aztecas, hoping for a nice deal with chinese or someone else and he would find out Trevor is messing with his business. Tracking Trevor would lead him to Michael (again), which would make Mandrazo losing his patience. Seriously this guy would be perfect for silent yet deadly antagonist trying to end your life for the rest of the game. 

In such case we could even keep the FIB mission arc with our trio dodging between being lapdogs for feds and dinner for Mandrazo counting that FIB will help them take mexican of their back only to be in fact ripped by both of the parties. 

Bro, I'd have been happy with stuff like this, just so long as the FIB did not dominate whole f**king story. 

JC20S
  • JC20S

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:42 PM Edited by JC20S, 14 November 2013 - 08:44 PM.

I really enjoy the characters and story.  It might be my favorite yet (and I have to disagree, I love Trevor).  However I do agree that if they do this again, I love the idea of taking a Pulp Fiction approach.  Jumping back and forth between the time line, playing separate characters that only minorly ineract or cross paths with the others.  You would play multiple characters, but they wouldn't be forcefully intertwined.

I like switching between the characters on the fly, but I also love the PF idea as well, which of course would remove that gameplay element.

Nasir_Jones
  • Nasir_Jones

Gta V Mexican Cartel Member

• Members

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

I'm glad jonny was a little bitch and got stomped on, Trevor is a badass, idk why people hate him. Trevor>jonny

Niobium
  • Niobium

fu*k

• Members
  • Canada
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:22 PM Edited by nobum62, 14 November 2013 - 10:10 PM.

I'm glad jonny was a little bitch and got stomped on, Trevor is a badass, idk why people hate him. Trevor>jonny

ugh, please read this: http://gtaforums.com...gta-v-spoilers/

oh what am i doing. fanboys/girls are too stupid (or just mentally challenged perhaps) to understand, i'm wasting my time.

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 14 November 2013 - 10:19 PM Edited by Tycek, 14 November 2013 - 10:38 PM.

I thought about one thing today while replaying the missions. In "Trevor Phillips Industries" Ortega's people are attacking the meth lab to repay Trevor for the lose of their kitchen (Ortega's trailer). What if Mandrazo would work with Aztecas, hoping for a nice deal with chinese or someone else and he would find out Trevor is messing with his business. Tracking Trevor would lead him to Michael (again), which would make Mandrazo losing his patience. Seriously this guy would be perfect for silent yet deadly antagonist trying to end your life for the rest of the game. 

In such case we could even keep the FIB mission arc with our trio dodging between being lapdogs for feds and dinner for Mandrazo counting that FIB will help them take mexican of their back only to be in fact ripped by both of the parties. 

Bro, I'd have been happy with stuff like this, just so long as the FIB did not dominate whole f**king story. 

I was thinking of similar length to Niko's work for IAA or for Phil Bell and Pegorino combined, but for two FIB characters. One would be Steve Haines and second one would be that agent mentioned in Rush casting list. He would be working on cartels, but the only reason why they are operating with such ease would be fact that he would be in their pocket. At some point he would try to sell our trio to the Mandrazo for some minor gang (Aztecas) being delivered to the FIB on silver platter. 

Cartel agent would be middle boss (like Pulaski or Diaz) and Mandrazo would wait for us at the end. 

But of course we can only dream about it. :sneaky:

woggleman
  • woggleman

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:13 AM

It would have been great if the trio teamed up with that Oscar guy Trevor was dealing with against Madrazo and they got caught in the middle of a war between two cartels. I would have also had Madrazo kidnap Michael's family. 

Budweiser Addict
  • Budweiser Addict

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:19 AM Edited by Niko Vercetti 112, 15 November 2013 - 11:21 AM.

Actually the FIB thing could have easily worked hand-in-hand with this plot. A lot of the FIB's missions revolved around fighting against the IAA right? Well, the real world CIA are well known to (secretly) back drug Cartels with this war going on in Mexico. Not sure where exactly they could go have gone from there, but it's a basic start to the amazing possibilities they left untouched.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

When I wrote this post, I COMPLETELY forgot about the Aztecas. LOOK at all Trevor had to deal with; The O'Niels, the miscellaneous hillbilly tweakers, Merryweather, the Triads, The Lost MC, and the Aztecas.

Why kill of The Lost? Why not make them allies? And if they're going to be Trevor's "mortal enemies", why don't we see them outside of three missions? (Maybe just reskin some Lost members into the f*cking AoD and attack them? It's NOT difficult, R*. Just keep churning out the broken bottle and faggy hair DLCs. I love running around as a California hipster douche.)

Especially the Aztecas. I shot Ortega because I didn't think you could let him live. A lot of them attacked Trevor's meth lab, and then bam, they were done. No more mention from them.

The Chinese are seen a bit more of, but their vendetta against Trevor, and Trevor, Michael, and Franklin's vendetta against them seemed hardly resolved.

The O'Niels was a weirder case. I felt it was resolved after the first encounter with them. Killing the lot of them and blowing their house sky-high made the most sense. I mean, they're all blood brothers, after all. How could I have killed thirty-something of them, and then went back to kill four more in Paleto? And what threat were they to Trevor (the man who has a body count in the hundreds at this point and is in a f*cking helicopter right now. that Franklin and Chop had to drive all the way out to the Zancudo River for? Just another tacked on mission with one mechanic we would see hardly ever again. (The thermal scopes were used in what? Two-three missions? In a game that cums all over itself for having WEPPIN ATTACHMUNTZ! What ever happened to our laser sight in the early screenshots?)

So much possibility for enemies of Trevor. Trevor is quite inexplicably helping Michael's FIB case for no apparent reason (to spring Brad? Why the f*ck are him and Lester planning a prison break for Brad then? Better question, why does Trevor believe Brad is imprisoned in San Andreas when he was a resident of and went down in North Yankton? Ughhh... This game...)

Anyways, so many enemies of Trevor, why doesn't Michael inexplicably help him? Or better yet, take better advantage of Michael's exile to Sandy Shores instead of just one prep mission for one heist. Keep the Aztecas present through the game, or add in some hillbilly bruisers. Not much Merryweather after the Merryweather heist either. While they detract from the "gang" violence, they're still a pretty cool implementation to the franchise. The past GTAs were riddled with corrupt cops/agencies, but this game has a PMC. Better just put them in the heist we got NO reward for and then just throw them in at the U.D. heist because we need enemies but we can't explain how they show up. (Why are 'roided up apes in combat fatigues armed to the teeth with military transport vehicles and guns stopping for red lights when they're out to kill a fleeing target? UGHGHMGMGHH THIS GAME!!!!!)

• Tycek and Ermac like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

ugh, please read this: http://gtaforums.com...gta-v-spoilers/

oh what am i doing. fanboys/girls are too stupid (or just mentally challenged perhaps) to understand, i'm wasting my time.

Relax. He's the kind of person who makes profile pictures/signatures bragging about his in-game wealth and taste for ugly but expensive cars.

I've figured out the LS Customs glitch too, guys.

• Niobium and Relax_and_Get_High like this

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

yeah trevor had a bunch of potential. He had so many enemies. It fel tlike he jsut killed them for the sake of killing them; there wasn't any in-depth story connected to it.

• HoleInTheSky and Niobium like this

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

yeah trevor had a bunch of potential. He had so many enemies. It fel tlike he jsut killed them for the sake of killing them; there wasn't any in-depth story connected to it.

I really wanted to like Trevor. I wish they just presented him as some weird side-character with little to no ties to the story, instead of a complicated individual with "proper motivation".

• Niobium likes this

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

honestly, i think the story was too short for three protagonists. There needed more time for character/story development

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

honestly, i think the story was too short for three protagonists. There needed more time for character/story development

To reiterate in the simplest of terms: It was a good idea, just too rushed, too forced, and perhaps too ambitious.

Maybe they're get over the growing pains and spruce up the mechanic for a spin-off or the next GTA.

• Official General likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

To reiterate in the simplest of terms: It was a good idea, just too rushed, too forced, and perhaps too ambitious.

Maybe they're get over the growing pains and spruce up the mechanic for a spin-off or the next GTA.

I agree with the both of you. I'd safely say that in this instance, Rockstar just bit off way more than they could chew and they just did not know how to digest it all properly.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Ghost

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:24 AM

They said a "bold new direction" and we got one.

I may well be in the minority here but the storylines never really were the driving force behind why I play GTA. The first game really didn't have a storyline at all, as we'd reckon it now. Then it became pastiches of crime/action films. GTA V itself essentially an 80s action film simulator, with a different kind of story structure.

Michael is certainly the character who the game revolves around. Franklin amounts to a playable support character. Trevor, same thing, unless you consider him a playable antagonist, which he basically is to Michael. I think that is the way it's intended to be seen, which might explain why Devin Weston and Steve Haines and other NPC "bad guys" have a lower profile than the typical GTA "bad guys." Nonetheless, they're still a major part of Michael's hassles beyond keeping his family together and not getting killed.

Now, on "sympathizing" with characters - once again this might just be me, but I never needed to "sympathize" too much with a video game character who in most cases is stealing cars, killing people and blowing up sh*t. I control this character who partakes in antisocial activities, so I can't be too surprised when a character like Trevor turns up in a series like this. It's been said before but it bears repeating - Trevor Philips is the typical GTA player's psyche in freeroam, made digital flesh and blood. Anytime I went on freeroam rampages with Niko, or even CJ for that matter, there was always a feeling of "would these guys really be doing this?" You get none of that with Trevor.

If you try to look at this story and attempt to structure it in the way earlier GTA games did, you're not going to understand or like it very much.

• B Dawg likes this

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Phill Bellic. The Universal L.E.O.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:40 AM

They said a "bold new direction" and we got one.

I may well be in the minority here but the storylines never really were the driving force behind why I play GTA. The first game really didn't have a storyline at all, as we'd reckon it now. Then it became pastiches of crime/action films. GTA V itself essentially an 80s action film simulator, with a different kind of story structure.

Michael is certainly the character who the game revolves around. Franklin amounts to a playable support character. Trevor, same thing, unless you consider him a playable antagonist, which he basically is to Michael. I think that is the way it's intended to be seen, which might explain why Devin Weston and Steve Haines and other NPC "bad guys" have a lower profile than the typical GTA "bad guys." Nonetheless, they're still a major part of Michael's hassles beyond keeping his family together and not getting killed.

Now, on "sympathizing" with characters - once again this might just be me, but I never needed to "sympathize" too much with a video game character who in most cases is stealing cars, killing people and blowing up sh*t. I control this character who partakes in antisocial activities, so I can't be too surprised when a character like Trevor turns up in a series like this. It's been said before but it bears repeating - Trevor Philips is the typical GTA player's psyche in freeroam, made digital flesh and blood. Anytime I went on freeroam rampages with Niko, or even CJ for that matter, there was always a feeling of "would these guys really be doing this?" You get none of that with Trevor.

If you try to look at this story and attempt to structure it in the way earlier GTA games did, you're not going to understand or like it very much.

The trope 'Gameplay and Story Segregation' comes in to play there (from TVTropes). When watching cutscenes your character says they do not want to kill any more and when they are back under your control you make them kill spree. I also read that Trevor was created as an 'avatar' to project the typical GTA player into the game world.

Cheers

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:08 PM Edited by Official General, 20 November 2013 - 07:24 PM.

@ Mainland Marauder

I may well be in the minority here but the storylines never really were the driving force behind why I play GTA. The first game really didn't have a storyline at all, as we'd reckon it now. Then it became pastiches of crime/action films.

Well that's your personal view.

I disagree with it. What makes GTA so unique and popular in the way it is, is that it made up of various, different great aspects that go hand-in-hand with each other. For a GTA game to be a GTA game, each aspect of the game has to be of equal quality to make up the whole game itself. GTA just does not work well with heavy emphasis and focus on one aspect of the game and less on another. You cannot have amazing gameplay, but a totally sh*t main storyline, or a great storyline, but sh*t gameplay. You cannot have a well-planned and laid-out map, but completely sh*t graphics, or a excellent graphics, but a sh*t map. The dynamics and structure of a GTA game just does not make room for that. 

In the case of GTA V, while the storyline is considered to be uninteresting and bit boring in some areas (FIB cop stuff), it is still for most part entertaining and interesting enough. Now while the gameplay has it's flaws, it is still great enough in many areas to compliment the storyline - as you can see, both aspects of the game kind of have to be on the same level to make it a successful GTA game. 

If your personal taste is something to go by, a GTA game made for it would quite frankly, be rubbish. It would end up being like one of the later Saints Row games like SR3 and 4. 

• NinjaWJ and Drunken Cowboy like this

feckyerlife
  • feckyerlife

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

I was thinking of similar length to Niko's work for IAA or for Phil Bell and Pegorino combined, but for two FIB characters. One would be Steve Haines and second one would be that agent mentioned in Rush casting list. He would be working on cartels, but the only reason why they are operating with such ease would be fact that he would be in their pocket. At some point he would try to sell our trio to the Mandrazo for some minor gang (Aztecas) being delivered to the FIB on silver platter. 

Cartel agent would be middle boss (like Pulaski or Diaz) and Mandrazo would wait for us at the end. 

But of course we can only dream about it. :sneaky:

thats how i compared it

Steve Hanies and Dave = pegorino and phil bell

Trevor or Michael = dimitry 

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

I agree entirely that, prior to GTA IV, the games stories weren't, technically "all that great" THOUGH, I DID enjoy them. I played every GTA game AFTER III and liked my experience with all of them more than V, even the Stories games. Sure, Tommy's story isn't exactly credible or original. I'd even go far as to say Tommy's not a great protagonist. He's a traitor to the family and bosses people around to get what he wants, though redeeming himself with occasional considerate and human behavior (unlike Trevor). Though, the game presented itself as the neon-washed Scarface II that it was.

If they made a Mafia II Jimmy's Vendetta style DLC, where it was just one extraneous character with no appearance to the story and was just there to cause chaos (like Trevor) then it would have been a lot easier to swallow.

I guess GTA is always going to be that game where you beat up prostitutes with baseball bats and fly jetpacks; though, IV had me hoping that it really was the Saint's Row that didn't suck.

Bring on Red Dead 3, they won't have to cater to such a broad, vapid audience with that one.

Relax_and_Get_High
  • Relax_and_Get_High

I smoked with Johnny Hopkins

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:31 AM Edited by Relax_and_Get_High, 23 November 2013 - 11:36 AM.

*sigh* fanboys
  • Drunken Cowboy and Niobium like this

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

Sure, Tommy's story isn't exactly credible or original. I'd even go far as to say Tommy's not a great protagonist. He's a traitor to the family and bosses people around to get what he wants, though redeeming himself with occasional considerate and human behavior (unlike Trevor).

What? hell no, if anything, Trevor was a considerable improvement over the whole 'bossing around because this town is full of idiots' Tommy. Whereas Tommy Vercetti would only occasionally show signs of 'human behavior', Trevor flies through it from beginning to end.

You might not like how Trevor decided to went nuts in one scene and stay cool in another without much reasons as to why the opposite didn't occur for example, but at least the signs of Trevor's own subjective thoughts are there throughout the game.

It just bolts down to a question of whether you look past at how 'disgusting' it is or not, of whether you consider his actions to be an equivalent of the equally mad setting and universe the games takes place in or not.

If anything, Trevor is also a living fourth-wall-breaker of the series.

The fact that his voice and mannerism reminds of Crypto from the Destroy All Humans franchise, which is in turn based of a loose Jack Nicholson, you've got one big blender of satire entertainment, while still staying true to 'his' temperament mood and character.

It is considerably easier to visualize both Trevor's actions and the environment he is placed in as a whole, than Tommy was in relation to the Vice City story or sandbox.

Back on topic.

Personally what currently bothers me is Franklin, or rather, the fact that how supposedly everything is to revolve around him, and yet at the same time, spend so much less time -or even significant time- with him than it is done with Michael or Trevor.

Franklin is introduced as our first and only playable character in the early hours of the game, and we kind of grow to sympathize with him. It was meant to be so. Franklin never does or says anything particularly troubling, and the decisions he takes -or lack thereof- is played in relatively 'safe grounds'.

In-game, his special ability to slow traffic time is considerably helpful to first-time players, so that they can adjust to the game's driving mechanic more easily.

By the time all three characters are unlocked and switchable however, you would have gone perfectly at ease with the game's driving mechanics and only resorts to use Franklin's ability only during extreme situations, and if the game lets you play as him.

It doesn't help that the character's individual stats doesn't stay the same throughout the game, meaning that each would have its strength and weaknesses and you will have to deal with it, or at least make it a lot less easier to max out all the character's stats so easily by plain natural progression.

But you only start to notice Franklin's weakness by design once you unlocked Michael and subsequently Trevor.

When Michael becomes a playable character, you are added with new side mission activities, new phone contacts and hang out partners. These are the key elements in prolonging the game's length time besides the main story. And same occurs with Trevor. Although Trevor lacks in phone contacts and hang-out partners, his inclusion leads to even more side missions, some only exclusive to him, and the game introduces the majority of the weapon arsenal through his character as well.

Franklin therefor is left with almost nothing 'exclusive' to him at all as the game progresses.

Considering the short amount of dialogues recorded for hang out partners, you would have probably made through all the uses in hanging out with Franklin's set of friends, and after Trevor, no new partners become available exclusively 'for' him.

Side missions can be tackled with just about any characters, so you will spend all your time with Michael and Trevor and not finding enough reasons to play with Franklin.

And his slow down traffic special ability loses its uses once the player gets used to handling the driving mechanics, whereas Trevor's rage and Michael's bullet time can always have its uses, notably thanks to the game's design of making our characters weaker, and therefor the combat-centric abilities of the other two are more needed.

Franklin does have four unique properties that only he can purchase, more than the other characters. Unfortunately properties in the game only rarely earns you more missions, or significant missions at that.

Franklin can mod his vehicles for free, which is nice, but if you play your money right you don't need to treat it so carefully and considerate by the time you have enough to buy properties anyway.

Franklin can also have free cab services, why not, but was that really a notable boon to us?

Franklin's roles within the game's switch mechanics in story missions and heists are also kept low and have less impact than the roles carried out by Trevor or Michael. And if all three characters are available during a shootout, why bother engage with Franklin, the only one who doesn't have combat-centric special abilities?

But all of this complaint wouldn't have reached so high had it not been for the fact that the game's story wishes to have it centered around Franklin nonetheless.

The most obvious element being the choices of the various endings. All three centers around how Franklin wishes to deal with the situation. It is his choice that will have the greatest impact.

But why?

Why is the character that has the least amount of impact on gameplay and story being asked to deliver the final note? Why does his words matter and not the others?

Yes there were suggestions, with the conversations he has with Devin especially, that lingers about for the second half of the game. But other than those few words, Franklin is pretty much just the fellow there for the ride. He repeatedly insists on wishing to continue to aid Michael not because his character development asks for it, but because he is an obligatory 'third character' sake of this three protagonist game design.

It explains why the only Strangers and Freaks missions that counts towards the official 100% completion are the ones that can only be handled by Franklin, regardless of how easy or hard it is compared to the other missions for Michael or Trevor. Because Franklin is the only one who can not die, the choice for that possibility is completely unavailable, and therefor his side missions never becomes 'miss-able', and won't impede on player's completion.

It is also why side missions only made exclusive to Trevor are not accounted for in the Pastimes and Hobbies statistics, since he isn't necessarily deemed obligatory to survive the game.

The sole significant impact Franklin can lead to the other protagonist is through Lester's assassination assignments, which leads to the biggest money earner in the game. But if the player isn't aware of this 'exploit', or didn't wanted or felt the need to earn huge sums of money in the first place. Then again Franklin's role is diminished.

When it was confirmed that GTA V would have three protagonists, it seemed obvious that Franklin was going to be my least favorite, mostly because the way the game marketed his character was a string of things that we've already experienced before in past GTAs, compared to Michael and Trevor who brought their own new flavor to the series.

When I started playing GTA V I was relieved to see Franklin's character taking a route that wasn't the one I dreaded for, but then disappointed that his presence pretty much vanishes in the second half and suddenly made the foreground character for the endings.

As a side note, at times it also seems a bit forced as to why Stranger and Freaks characters would only interact with one specific protagonists, with only just a couple of exceptions.

Maybe to force players to engage with all three protagonists? would have been more daring if they allowed players to choose which protagonists they wish to use to engage with which NPC.

Risky, as the player may just stick with one character throughout the whole game and miss out content made for the others, but daring.

And greater replay incentive for that matter.

• HaythamKenway likes this

Dr. Robotnik
  • Dr. Robotnik

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:30 AM

Although I don't consider it a fatal flaw, I agree Franklin comes across as a bit bland, mostly in his interactions with the other protagonists; he's often made to serve as the middle ground between Michael's hypocritical, guilt-ridden moralizing and Trevor's bloodthirsty, impulsive sadism by neither trying too hard to justify his life of crime or indulging in it for its own sake, and he also functions as an intermediary; Trevor and Michael both trust him far more than they trust each other. As such, whenever the three are together, the focus simply isn't on Franklin, it's on the other two.

It's when Franklin interacts with his old buddies from the hood that he gains more of a personality of his own (he not unjustifiably looks down on them, but Tanisha pretty much calls him deluded for imagining himself to be any better), and he spends much of his time away from that setting. While this makes some sense given Franklin's characterization (he would want to move beyond it as much as he could once given the opportunity), it has the side effect of making him a lot less interesting.

• Official General likes this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:12 PM Edited by Official General, 25 November 2013 - 01:12 PM.

It's when Franklin interacts with his old buddies from the hood that he gains more of a personality of his own (he not unjustifiably looks down on them, but Tanisha pretty much calls him deluded for imagining himself to be any better), and he spends much of his time away from that setting. While this makes some sense given Franklin's characterization (he would want to move beyond it as much as he could once given the opportunity), it has the side effect of making him a lot less interesting.

@ Dr Robotnik

I totally agree with this  :^:

This is the main problem I had with Franklin's side of the story, and this is also what I mean about not having enough hood action or drama in the game. I thought we were gonna get a gripping and intriguing storyline for Franklin that would see him go through an intense and struggle and conflict with himself and his friends as tries to balance his own personal lofty ambitions in crime and loyalty to the gang and his hood. After the first part of his story which appeared that way, the majority of the rest just disappeared and involved him being in the background and only coming to prominence now and then to do take special tasks in the major heists. Rockstar could have involved Franklin in the heists and still created a great hood story for him, even though he wanted to advance, I just don't know why they did not. 

Grievous
  • Grievous

Wall of Text Armada

• Members

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

It's not even like Franklin's portions of Strangers & Freaks are compelling on their own, except the one with Beverly, but even that ended on a sudden "whatever" note.

Five tow trucks missions, four base jumping, the Grass Root situation turned out to just be a couple of pick-up-vehicles missions, damn!

And these get to be counted in the 100% completion chart, not those done by Michael or Trevor, whereas the later had more creative missions to tackle on.

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

I still don't understand why the Families are treated as this nostalgic novelty, and the Lost are completely thrown under the bus.

You'd think with Franklin's disconnect from the Families that they could play an antagonistic roll or even an alliance roll, but they just remain there; stagnant, only brought back to make the SA fanboys cum.

Seems like the Lost would be brought back for the same purpose, but Rockstar just isolated the sh*t out of their fan base both in campaign and GTA:O.

• Niobium likes this

Niobium
  • Niobium

fu*k

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:14 AM Edited by nobum62, 02 December 2013 - 04:22 AM.

WALL OF TEXT INCOMING

i can imagine the gta 5 micheal trailer with micheal being replaced with dan houser. here is my edited version of the trailer for sh*ts and giggles

the hyphen means it's a different scene each time

the star means the character is doing an action

also, the music stays the same for the trailer

- therapist: what story do you want to write dan?

- dan: i dunno, i want to write a story that isn't this

- *dan is at home, opens fanletter that says "the gta 5 story doesn't make sense"*

- dan: i wanna be a good writer, write a good story and make GTA awesome

- *dan is writing gta 5 story*

- sam houser: why do i have to hold your hand through all these major plotholes?

- *dan having trouble explaining why trevor kills certain charcters for no reason*

- dan: but at the same time, i really want a sh*t ton of people to buy the game too.

- *dan writing scenes with EXPLOSIONS and mediocre story (like micheal bay)*

- therapist: it seems you value money more than a good story. dan: well i'm not sure that's true doc

- *dan houser writing gta 5 trailer with EXPLOSIONS*

- dan: i'm a greedy c*nt! well, i'm pretty average for the entertainment industry

- *dan houser writing more gta 5 scenes with EXPLOSIONS and mediocre story*

- therapist: .....i think you need to quit your job

i can imagine the same thing with the franklin trailer except that he gets replaced by a glitch exploiter instead, named Chunta (a native american name, don't know if it's mohawk or inuit or whatever). if you look up the meaning of Chunta, you'll know why i named him that lol. music stays the same

- chunta: so you giving me a lecture about not being a good enough glitch exploiter?

- chunta's friend: that's all we got. that's our heritage!

- *chunta glitching at los santos customs*

- chunta: man i thought we was tryin' to avoid getting banned

- chunta's friend: you soundin' more like a SNI-I-ITCH everyday

- *chunta spawning several rhino tanks by glitching*

- chunta: nah i sound like someone trying to make a sh*t ton of money without working hard

- chunta's friend: oh my bad mr gold cart (i can't really hear what lamar says in the actual trailer)

- *chunta and his friend having unlimited ammo and not having to reload, because they glitched*

- chunta's friend: haha, glitcher sh*t!

- chunta's friend's friend: you got no respect

- *chunta glitching again*

- chunta: i got respect for reality

- chunta's friend: enjoy the adders homie!

- chunta: yeah whatever.

and last but not least, we have trevor being replaced by.... guess what. a trevor fanboy! and we'll name him phillip for sh*ts and giggles. music stays the same

- dan houser: i ever tell you about phillip?

- phillip: ah, AH-CHOO! ugh.

- random guy one: major idiot

- random guy two: reeeeeeeeal trevor fanboy type sh*t

- phillip: STOP MAKING FUN OF TREVOR OR I'LL KICK YOUR ASS.

- phillip: *smashes keyboard out of anger*

- phillip to dan houser: MAN YOU CREATED THE BEST CHARACTER EVER *hugs him*

- OP #1 to phillip: please go and ruin somebody else's thread

- *phillip laughing at a forum thread*

- phillip: i don't care if trevor's inconsistent, i find him funny alright?

- phillip: very funny! i mean as long as he does random sh*t

- phillip *smashing his keyboard at the thread complaining about johnny's death* JOHNNY THE JEW'S A PUSSY!

- forum member with tommy vercetti avatar speaking to moderator: just keep him banned off the forums.

- phillip: *looking at that forum member's avatar of tommy vercetti* nur nur tommy is sh*t compared to trevor.

- dan houser: why do you love trevor so much?

- phillip: *in his room with trevor posters everywhere playing gta 5, watching trevor say "you want me to get my dick out again?"* HAHAHA SO FUNNIE

- phillip: i love him because he's crazy and kills people for no reason

- phillip: *being butthurt about post someone made criticizing trevor's character* WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

- phillip: gta 5 would be sh*t without trevor.

- phillip: *breaking monitor with fireaxe out of pure anger*

- phillip: *burning computer box with gasoline and matches*

- OP #2: who do you think would win in a fight? niko or trev--

- phillip: TREVOR WOULD DESTROY NIKO

Drunken Cowboy
  • Drunken Cowboy

Proud Asshole

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Topic [GTA] 2013

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

Wowie man, what a read.

I'm not really sure what you were trying to say, but I got that it was anti-Trevor and therefore I must say "good job".

• Niobium likes this

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:32 PM

Gotta admit I giggled at the Dan Houser/Micheal Trailer.

• Niobium likes this

Niobium
  • Niobium

fu*k

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:01 PM Edited by nobum62, 02 December 2013 - 10:03 PM.

Wowie man, what a read.

I'm not really sure what you were trying to say, but I got that it was anti-Trevor and therefore I must say "good job".

i just made up some trailers to make fun of what is wrong with gta 5.

micheal's modified trailer is making fun of the gta 5 writing (with dan writing scenes with EXPLOSIONS and mediocre story, like micheal bay), franklin's modified trailer is making fun of glitch exploiters("i sound like someone trying to make a sh*t ton of money without working hard"), and trevor's modified trailer is making fun of trevor fanboys ("TREVOR WOULD DESTROY NIKO")

i thought this would be a fun idea to make modified trailers in order to bring the thread back up again before it dies

it wasn't just anti-trevor, although i do think my trailer of phillip is the best of the 3

Bloothehedgehog
  • Bloothehedgehog

Third Street Saint

• Members

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

I haven't finished reading (don't shoot me!) but Franklin just likes his gangster clothes. That's why he gets them, along more normal/fancy things. He just likes that, kinda like he was brought up talking the way he does and he hasn't gone all "vinewood" as alot of characters use as and adjective.

I might be a little blinded that he's my favorite character and its hilarious seeing him with two insane 40 year old white dudes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users