Quantcast

» «
Photo

The Identity Crisis: The Problems with V's story.

689 replies to this topic
redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:48 AM

Honestly I wish they would of focus more on Franklin and his gang life. So much could of been done. 

Look at this video:

Tell me how it wouldn't be fun taking the families to grove street and killing some ballas and maybe even taking it back. It would make a great DLC seeing Spoiler Franklin didn't die at the end of GTA V. 

cp1dell
  • cp1dell

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:17 AM

Yeah, I was really disappointed on how they didn't really expand on Franklin that much. He didn't really feel like a main character. None of his backstory or character was comparable to that of Michael's or Trevor's. T and Mikey were more of the main focus point.

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

When people kids are playing a video game they want action. It is different than watching a movie.

Fixed.

PS: I recommend you playing the walking dead games by TellTale.
I am a fan of action in my games. If that makes me a kid so be it. IV had plenty of action but you had to get to the sixth or so mission before you encountered it and by that time many people were bored.

Honestly, if you can't go six missions without killing people, especially in a game as long as IV, you are just plain f*cking pathetic; PROVIDED THAT the game doesn't advertise itself as "shoot someone every second!"

I don't know people got bored with the start of GTA IV and not SA.

well like you said earlier in the thread... there was some nice slow paced missions to set up the mood and characters of GTASA

How the hell is franticly pedaling away from drive-by shooters a "slow paced mission"?! How the hell is rolling up on some Ballas and robbing  a pizza store "slow paced"?! 

There's a bizarre amount of ill-informed children within this forum that can't be trusted with a keyboard, much less a violent video game. 

i think you are the one that is ill-informed. The first couple of missions in GTAIV can be compared to the first several missions of GTASA in that they don't ask you to murder an army of gangsters of nuke some ships or whatever. Their purpose was to set up the story and characters. In GTAIV we had NIko moving in to his apartment and dealing with Roman and hsi debt; nothing flashy just small jobs here and there. In GTASA, the player was slowly being introduced to Ryder and Big Smoke, while doing some  small-time favors for them

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Michael's family issues to me are as poignant as anything in IV. You start off hating Amanda and his kids and then in the end while I certainly don't agree with how they acted you see that he largely contributed to why his family is in the state it is in. It really is a dead on portrayal of many modern marriages.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:28 AM

When people kids are playing a video game they want action. It is different than watching a movie.

Fixed.

I am a fan of action in my games. If that makes me a kid so be it. IV had plenty of action but you had to get to the sixth or so mission before you encountered it and by that time many people were bored.

Honestly, if you can't go six missions without killing people, especially in a game as long as IV, you are just plain f*cking pathetic; PROVIDED THAT the game doesn't advertise itself as "shoot someone every second!"

well like you said earlier in the thread... there was some nice slow paced missions to set up the mood and characters of GTASA

How the hell is franticly pedaling away from drive-by shooters a "slow paced mission"?! How the hell is rolling up on some Ballas and robbing  a pizza store "slow paced"?! 

There's a bizarre amount of ill-informed children within this forum that can't be trusted with a keyboard, much less a violent video game. 

i think you are the one that is ill-informed. The first couple of missions in GTAIV can be compared to the first several missions of GTASA in that they don't ask you to murder an army of gangsters of nuke some ships or whatever. Their purpose was to set up the story and characters. In GTAIV we had NIko moving in to his apartment and dealing with Roman and hsi debt; nothing flashy just small jobs here and there. In GTASA, the player was slowly being introduced to Ryder and Big Smoke, while doing some  small-time favors for them

In Sa we shot it out with the ballas by the third or so mission. In IV it was a good six or seven missions before Niko even had a pistol. You also didn't have to take your GF bowling. The Yoga mission in V was boring but at least they sandwiched it in between a bunch of action and you got a cool drug trip scene at the end.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

Fixed.

In Sa we shot it out with the ballas by the third or so mission. In IV it was a good six or seven missions before Niko even had a pistol. You also didn't have to take your GF bowling. The Yoga mission in V was boring but at least they sandwiched it in between a bunch of action and you got a cool drug trip scene at the end.

Yeah, but we got to bash Dardan's skull in by the third mission.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

Rockstar NYC Writing Session for GTAV -Final Days-

Houser: SO for the final mission each character will go after their main rivals and wipe them out

Humphries: Of course

Unsworth: Yep, sounds good

Houser: Right, so for like Michael, we'll hold off killing Devin til last as he's the last link with Haines, etc, Trevor can finally go after The Lost MC after battling them on the side for most of the game, and...

Unsworth: Erm, Dan, we kinda can't go after The Lost MC.

Houser: ..Why not?

Unsworth: well, see, the thing is, you know like we paid to bring back the cast of TLAD?

Houser: Yeah, it was pretty good to see them still interested in the series, unlike that Hollick prick.

Humphries: Well the thing is, me and Michael, we kinda wanted a massive intro for Trevor

Houser: OK, that's good, but what does th....

Humphries: And we killed Johnny right there and then in his first cutscene

Houser: ...WHAT? f*ck, ok, well, we'll just have Trevor go after...

Unsworth: ...and we also killed Terry and Clay in a pointless non-fighting drive by chase.

Houser: ...so who's been leading The Lost MC? What about all that stuff we had planned for Trevor's story?

Humphries: Good news, we shifted quite a lot of that onto the McNeal Brothers.

Houser: OK, we'll use them in the finale...

Humphries: But Trevor kills most of them in their first meeting

Unsworth: and kills the rest later in the game with help from Michael and Franklin

Houser: ...OK, OK, so what about The Lost MC LS chapter?

Humphries: Oh, we don't mention them

Houser: But Trevor is seen killing them in most transitions

Unsworth: We couldn't decide on what felt right

Houser: RIGHT, well, who do we have to go against Trevor then in the finale???

Unsworth: ...erm, well, remember those Triads we introduced for comic relief?

Humphries: Tao and his translator?

Unsworth: Yeah those guys, well, what about, let's say they got pissed off at Trevor for killing the McNeal Brothers and want to take him down!!!

Humphries: But they only appear in like two missions and nothing is ever mentioned about them again

Houser: We're out of time, That will have to do! Screw it, trevor's big bad rivals in the finale will be the Triads then, ...thanks guys, no really, thanks, we could have kept in sync about this!

Unsworth: What about all those Lost MC details we left in the game.

Humphries: We'll have to leave them in, don't have time to write more stuff up to explain them, we'll just let people use their imaginations.

Houser: OK, next meeting, ...we have four hours to come up for Franklins entire story.

Dan: Ok, I've got this amazing idea for Franklin's story. It will start off with him doing a few gangbaing missions with Lamar and a few other guys, and then introduce this guy Strech, who will eventually become Franklin's antagonist. And once he becomes richer, we will go back to the ghetto to try and help Lamar reach the same status as him.

Humphries: Nope sorry, we've got to cut this entire plotline out.

Dan: What the f*ck?

Unsworth: Yep, we've got to condense this entire game's plot down to an amazing 69 missions.

Dan: Why????

Humphries: Because Rockstar's new plan is to appeal to the casual gamers who never finished IV, instead of listening to our true fans who are willing to play from start to finish.

Dan: Jesus, what do we do with Franklin now?

Unsworth: Just throw this Strech guy in a single mission at the start. Then just have a bunch of insiginificant references to him once Franklin does the occasional ghetto mission for no reason at all once he becomes big-time.

Dan: Ok, I guess I can roll with that. We've f*cked up the story enough as it is, so why not just ignor Franklin's storyline and give him no character development. And because he's black, all our San Andreas fanboys will cling on to him like he's the messiah of the GTA world.
  • UltraGizmo64 likes this

OldGamer67
  • OldGamer67

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

To me, Franklin felt out of place. He didnt seem like the "gangsta" type. Just a guy that wanted more. He didn't have the killer mentality that the game seemed to be trying to convince me he was. The assassination missions were wasted on him and would have been more appropriate being done by Trevor, in my opinion.

Ah yes ... Trevor. I'm seeing some hate directed at him but he's the most interesting character of the bunch to me. I enjoy roaming around causing chaos and it just doesn't feel right using any character but Trevor to do it. He feeds my inner psychopath.

Michael gets honorable mention as the most developed of the three. He gets the shrink sessions and the family crisis which was fairly entertaining.

I agree though that the story was too short and there should've been more opportunities to make serious cash.

• UltraGizmo64 likes this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:30 PM Edited by Official General, 11 November 2013 - 08:01 PM.

Damn this is an epic thread!!! I agree a lot with what the OP said. The story is just a mess and some of the content in this game was just baffling.

One thing that irked me about this thread is how Niko Bellics Half Brother kept whining about how people who didn't like GTAV feel that way because all they cared for was gangsta stuff

@ NinjaWJ

Ever since I've known niko bellic half brother to be on these forums, he's always fixated with bashing or criticizing anything in GTA that is related to black 'gangsta' culture and the hood/ghetto. This is almost all he ever talks about on here, about 99 percent of that time at least, even when the thread is not directly related to the subject gangs and the hood. But yet, somehow he leads it there. If you wanna get his attention or see him surface, it's real easy - just mention street gangs, the hood or San Andreas in any thread, and PING ! He magically appears to comment and hate on it, just like that. It's his favorite pastime, trust me and test do it, it never fails with him.

There is no point trying to have a decent, constructive debate with him about GTA, because all he ever does it go on his same, tired, old and boring anti SA/gangsta/hood tirades, he's not worth bothering with. 

@ woggleman

IV had plenty of action but you had to get to the sixth or so mission before you encountered it and by that time many people were bored. 

Normally you talk sense, even though most times our views differ, but this is some bullsh*t right here man. Firstly, I don't know how you can say many people were bored by that stage in GTA IV, you would never know if that was the case. If like action straight off the bat, that's fine, but I think GTA IV handle the early part of the game brilliantly. It was a nice, slightly slow build-up that paced the story smoothly. Niko spent most of his early days getting used to being in a new country and new city, he was getting to know his environment and people within it. The pace fitted well with the game

I prefer GTA to be like that - I don't wanna just start blazing guns straight away, I wanna see a kinda slow build-up to the explosive action that is to come. GTAs have generally been like that, even from the III-era, but GTA IV done it in a very realistic way, which was great in my view. 

Suppa K
  • Suppa K

Only Zuul

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

I have yet to do my second play through of the story, which I find is needed of any big Rockstar game with narrative. I didn't truly appreciate RDR until my second play through, now I feel like it's a masterpiece. IV not so much even though I love it, but alas it was also better the second time around.

I don't know if V will have that same effect but we'll see, that's if I can pull myself away from
Online.

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

Fixed.

yes there was involvement with the Ballas the first batch of missions were about dealing with them; however they were low intensity and small-scale missions.

(not in order)

1. CJ biking back to grove street
2. paying respects to dead gang members at the cemetery and biking off

3. going to cluckin bell and escaping from ballas

4. going to the pizza joint with ryder

5. low rider competition with Cesar

6. Burglary mission with Ryder

7. Chasing OG LOC

These were low key missions that had very modest significance and outcomes. In GTAV you had some over-the-top missions pretty early in the game

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:49 PM

I just go by what many IV haters tell me. I love it but after my third or fourth playthrough I started to understand why some people were put off even if I don't agree. I understand why some people are put off of V even if I don't agree. I think the first flashback mission was a great way to start the game. I think in both games the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. The middle and later missions in IV are just great and Three Leaf Clover is almost legendary at this point.

I don't have an issue with the gang thing and I actually wish they expanded on it more in V but I don't want GTA to become about just that. Robbing banks and doing heists is just as much of a part of criminal life as gangs and I am glad they made the latest largely about that. I liked Lamar but for the most part I understood why Franklin just wanted to get away. Lamar kept getting them almost killed and his aunt acted like she hated him plus Tonya had him working for free for a crackhead who couldn't bother to show up to work. Who wouldn't want to move out. He made a whole lot more money doing heists then killing over who wears green or purple.

ScottishHeist123
  • ScottishHeist123

After 5 years on the East Coast, it's time to go home...

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:42 AM

Very surprised at the amount of people here saying GTA V's story was short. How long did it take you all to complete it?

I just finished it last weekend - took me 2 months!

ScottishHeist123
  • ScottishHeist123

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:51 AM Edited by StewartWilson1992, 12 November 2013 - 12:53 AM.

To me, Franklin felt out of place. He didnt seem like the "gangsta" type. Just a guy that wanted more. 

That was exactly what Franklin's story premise was; he wanted to move away from his gang-banging life in the hood and make something out of himself, and as a result he was different. That's where Michael and Trevor come into his life...

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 12:55 AM

I think where Rockstar went wrong with V, is that they tried to make too many people happy, put too many things in and didn't think them through enough. The story opening is brilliant, I love how we meet the characters, and they seem interesting, but by the time it gets to the Paleto heist, it just feels like a drag, it's like "oh sh*t. this again? for f*cks sake." I don't hate the game, but they should have thought everything through a whole lot more instead of just putting every idea in without any planning. I didn't want huge heists like blowing up buildings for the take, but a little bit of dynamic events would have been fun, say in the last heist, after everything Michael does, Trevor doesn't try to get a bit of revenge? hell, maybe he went along with it, and then when they got to the standoff and switching the gold to the cars, he shoots Michael as payback for brad. The entire story after the first heist felt without consequence. The developments had absolutely no weight, if I'd just found out that my "best friend" had got my other best friend killed, fakes his death, then used my best friends body to cover it, I wouldn't be stopping Merryweather from killing him, I'd be lighting him on fire in the middle of f*cking Sandy Shores just to piss on his corpse. It almost feels like Rockstar purposely edited the story to make into DLC.

• NinjaWJ, hooma and Drunken Cowboy like this

BGModder
  • BGModder

Lola's Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:03 AM

(I typed this out on multiple computers, please ignore the format inconsistencies.) 

Wait what? So did you like save in a microsoft word document and carry it around with you on a usb or something?

ScottishHeist123
  • ScottishHeist123

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:13 AM Edited by StewartWilson1992, 12 November 2013 - 01:14 AM.

I think where Rockstar went wrong with V, is that they tried to make too many people happy, put too many things in and didn't think them through enough. The story opening is brilliant, I love how we meet the characters, and they seem interesting, but by the time it gets to the Paleto heist, it just feels like a drag, it's like "oh sh*t. this again? for f*cks sake." I don't hate the game, but they should have thought everything through a whole lot more instead of just putting every idea in without any planning. I didn't want huge heists like blowing up buildings for the take, but a little bit of dynamic events would have been fun, say in the last heist, after everything Michael does, Trevor doesn't try to get a bit of revenge? hell, maybe he went along with it, and then when they got to the standoff and switching the gold to the cars, he shoots Michael as payback for brad. The entire story after the first heist felt without consequence. The developments had absolutely no weight, if I'd just found out that my "best friend" had got my other best friend killed, fakes his death, then used my best friends body to cover it, I wouldn't be stopping Merryweather from killing him, I'd be lighting him on fire in the middle of f*cking Sandy Shores just to piss on his corpse. It almost feels like Rockstar purposely edited the story to make into DLC.

Bear in mind that, after he found out about Brad, Trevor refused to help Michael when he got kidnapped. Michael would have suffered the consequences if it weren't for Franklin saving him, and the relationship between Michael and Trevor was never the same after their amazing confrontation in North Yankton. The results of Michael's betrayal were shown very clearly.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:46 AM

Paleto might just be my favorite mission in the game but I agree that it seems strange for Trevor to let something like that slide. I am a much more stable man than Trevor and even I would want revenge if that were me.

Niobium
  • Niobium

RIP Drunken Cowboy. Lost, but not forgotten.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:59 AM

Trevor: The part where he killed 

Spoiler
, I don't think it was intended to be of any sort of moral, it's not a cartoon for children where the main characters go through some kind of experience, to which at the end there is always a moral to be learned, this is a mature story, and the reason why they chose 
Spoiler
for this, is clearly for the "wow factor", to bring up some feelings to players, who played the DLC of IV, and by reading your example, they succeeded, Trevor was, at points, intended to make you feel morally disgusted, he's violent, aggressive, psychotic, he's spontaneous

I didn't know Dan Houser had an account here.

yes, keep justifying your sh*tty writing dan houser

seriously though, if trevor was intended to make you feel morally disgusted, why isn't he the antagonist? i think he would have been better off as an antagonist, especially to replace steve haines and devin weston. those guys didn't really do enough bad sh*t to make you hate them and were pussies compared to real antagonists like officer tempenny, billy grey, and dimitri rascalov

• Drunken Cowboy likes this

OldGamer67
  • OldGamer67

Rat

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:23 AM

Very surprised at the amount of people here saying GTA V's story was short. How long did it take you all to complete it?

I burned through it the first time because I wanted to see the whole story. I typically play all day on weekends so factor that in. But it still felt much shorter than I expected. I think maybe 2 or 3 weeks tops. I still haven't done everything.

To me, Franklin felt out of place. He didnt seem like the "gangsta" type. Just a guy that wanted more. 

That was exactly what Franklin's story premise was; he wanted to move away from his gang-banging life in the hood and make something out of himself, and as a result he was different. That's where Michael and Trevor come into his life...

Still, he barely felt like a criminal. He's constantly doing favors and breaking up conflicts. During his conversation with Lester I'm supposed to believe he's a cold blooded killer but I just didn't get that vibe from him. I can see him as a getaway driver but as has been pointed out, he doesn't really function like that.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:31 AM

On my first save I finished it in about 10 days. On my second it was about three weeks and I'm on a third now which I started about a week or so ago. I think for GTA standards it is a bit on the short side especially when heist prep missions take up a decent chunk and Lester's assassinations are included in the main missions too.

Compared to a lot of games it's a decent length, but compared to say SA or GTA IV it's pretty short IMO.

TJtheS2000fan
  • TJtheS2000fan

That guy from that thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:28 AM

@gtarules_95:

Please, enlighten me. Explain to me what exactly constitutes a "real" GTA mission in your eyes.

To the guys saying V's story was "all over the place": I genuinely believe R* were under pressure to cater towards the San Andreas crowd. I'm sure we all remember the very loud whining that followed IV, and how it was too "boring" etc. I think R* felt they had to please them not only in regards to returning features, but to the campaign too. If R* were to make the game that they wanted to make, I'm sure it wouldn't be as "all over the place" as you claim to be.

But then again, there will still be whiners regardless of what they do.

So what thats an excuse now? They need to handle their sh*t if they get confused by the feedback and as a result make a half-assed story that is all over the place then something is really wrong

But I don't think that they give a f*ck it seems its all about online now

I can't believe that after making great stories like GTA IV, RDR, MP3 they

made the storyline of GTA V

And i just know that typical GTA missions don't involve infiltrating the hq of a agency, participating in a agency war, fighting terrorists, getting some nuclear bomb ...and the list goes on

Thats certainly not what makes GTA if I want that stuff I play Splinter cell or MGS

What makes GTA is as official general already said : having dealings and conflict with various gangs and organized crime elements( not just gangbanging as you are thinking ) that includes corrupt goverment officals but they certainly  dont take the main part

@official general  yeah I missed that stuff too thats when I got the idea to start a complete new playthrough and playing all three strories together adds variety to the game

If it was as simple as doing what they wanted and they didn't have to ever worry about their bottom-line I would agree with this, however it is important that they stay in business. Very few companies are truly evil. Very few companies want to rip off their customers. There are some that do, but certainly not all. The problem is that providing the experience that customers want is costly and if they can't do it then they won't stay in business very long. 

I'm sure they took a good long look at the sales figures for the past GTAs and Red Dead.

San Andreas: 20 million units in 2 years

GTA IV: 17 million units in 2 years

RDR: 12 million units in 2 years

You may notice a trend. Their new ambitious approach of deep and meaningful storylines was meeting with slow return on investment. GTA IV may have surpassed GTA SA later on down the line I believe 27 million to 25 million, but in the early portion since release they made more money with games with sillier content, more satirical writing and less realism. If the sales of GTA IV had spooked them into starting a more silly game, the slower release of Red Dead probably only reassured them that they were going the right direction. 

Now let's look at the sales figures for V:

GTA V: 11.2 million copies.. on day 1. 

Red Dead's deep and artistic take on the old west? Worthless. 

GTA IV's dark and realistic take on crime? A joke. 

Rockstar will make what sells no matter what we think. They don't do it because they hate us, they do it because they are a company and to stay alive they will make games that sell. The success of GTA V will only push them further away from the path you and I want them to take because it wasn't a success. We cannot blame them for giving us a more inconsistent title when their current path was dropping their income. If anything Red Dead probably solidified their stance on making GTA V more like the old GTA and less like IV. 

I think It's prudent to take into account the install base of the consoles when the respective games were released. San Andreas was released when the PS2 was already out for four years, plenty of time to create an install base. GTA IV was released way earlier in the console cycle than San Andreas. Thus, it would have been impossible for the game that essentially built the install base which allowed GTA V to sell so many copies in one day. RDR didn't have Grand Theft Auto in the title, so it's a given it wouldn't sell NEARLY as well. It's a game of name recognition and install base. I'm sure the next in the Red Dead series will sell more than RDR (if there is a comparable install base as to when RDR was released. Also worth noting RDR didn't release on PC; San Andreas and GTA IV were). It's more a game of brand recognition than actual content (See: Call of Duty). I think Rockstar could very rightly anticipated they would make a sizable profit on GTA V regardless of what direction they went with. They WANTED to appease the players; they didn't HAVE to. I hope this made some sense. Have a great day!

• Ermacs likes this

NinjaWJ
  • NinjaWJ

Just trying to get by

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

yes it took me about 6-10 days, but i was playing a lot, mostly on the weekends

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:46 AM

I think It's prudent to take into account the install base of the consoles when the respective games were released. San Andreas was released when the PS2 was already out for four years, plenty of time to create an install base. GTA IV was released way earlier in the console cycle than San Andreas. Thus, it would have been impossible for the game that essentially built the install base which allowed GTA V to sell so many copies in one day. RDR didn't have Grand Theft Auto in the title, so it's a given it wouldn't sell NEARLY as well. It's a game of name recognition and install base. I'm sure the next in the Red Dead series will sell more than RDR (if there is a comparable install base as to when RDR was released. Also worth noting RDR didn't release on PC; San Andreas and GTA IV were). It's more a game of brand recognition than actual content (See: Call of Duty). I think Rockstar could very rightly anticipated they would make a sizable profit on GTA V regardless of what direction they went with. They WANTED to appease the players; they didn't HAVE to. I hope this made some sense. Have a great day!

I think it's definitely something to take into consideration. I do wonder what the current numbers were for the new consoles in 2008 because it wasn't near the launch of the systems, but it wasn't very far into their lives either. I also wonder what their estimated sales were and if they did or didn't meet their expectations. I wonder if it had any hand in the large marketing budget, which I have heard took up at least half of the 250 million budget. 

Honestly, I wish Rockstar would do something like those "Making of" documentaries that movies get. A lot of people might not watch it, but I'd spare several hours to see an in-depth look at the challenge of bringing games like GTA IV, RDR, and GTA V to life. To hear concepts that were cut and to see some beta materials and to hear about issues that arose and how it changed the game. There's so much stuff that goes into making these titles that we probably don't realize. 

• ThroatSlasher2 likes this

TJtheS2000fan
  • TJtheS2000fan

That guy from that thing

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:27 AM

I think it's definitely something to take into consideration. I do wonder what the current numbers were for the new consoles in 2008 because it wasn't near the launch of the systems, but it wasn't very far into their lives either. I also wonder what their estimated sales were and if they did or didn't meet their expectations. I wonder if it had any hand in the large marketing budget, which I have heard took up at least half of the 250 million budget. 

Honestly, I wish Rockstar would do something like those "Making of" documentaries that movies get. A lot of people might not watch it, but I'd spare several hours to see an in-depth look at the challenge of bringing games like GTA IV, RDR, and GTA V to life. To hear concepts that were cut and to see some beta materials and to hear about issues that arose and how it changed the game. There's so much stuff that goes into making these titles that we probably don't realize. 

I agree. Unfortunately that's not Rockstar's thing, letting us into their processes. 

On a different note, I think you make many valid points, Drunken Cowboy. I don't agree with all of them, but the way you stated your original argument has earned my respect. I'll need a few more playthroughs to be confident enough to form my own opinion from my own interpretation of the story. I will say this, however, I feel the killing of Johnny and the way they did it was a powerful moment in the story and a good move. I sympathize with Johnny as a character, and it hit me as a shock, but I'l; admit I could NOT get into TLAD. I loved the gritty storyline of GTA IV- I can't tell you how many times I have played through IV. I just couldn't get into TLAD. I started it and left it alone, maybe obligatorily finishing it a year or so later. I think it's an entirely plausible proposition that SOMETIME in the five years separating the plotlines of the two stories that Johnny breaks and turns into a junkie. I feel it would have been a far more emotional loss if Niko were killed. If there's one thing I hate about five, it's how NIko's fate is left ambiguous. Johnny's ending gave closure to his story. There is no closure with Niko; just the odd reference here and there. 

vivalavendredi
  • vivalavendredi

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

If you only play 5 minutes a day it will last for ages, of course.

I've finished it in the first 4 weeks and wasn't playing that often. The story felt short and rushed too me. For example buying masks was a "mission" - it was like that:

- Drive to a 50 yards away store. 

- Buy 3 masks

This whole "mission" took 37 seconds. And we had lots of them. The heists itself were cool sometimes, but there weren't that much. I am absolutely disappointed by the story.

• hooma and Drunken Cowboy like this

ScottishHeist123
  • ScottishHeist123

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:35 AM Edited by StewartWilson1992, 12 November 2013 - 08:35 AM.

If you only play 5 minutes a day it will last for ages, of course.

I've finished it in the first 4 weeks and wasn't playing that often. The story felt short and rushed too me. For example buying masks was a "mission" - it was like that:

- Drive to a 50 yards away store. 

- Buy 3 masks

This whole "mission" took 37 seconds. And we had lots of them. The heists itself were cool sometimes, but there weren't that much. I am absolutely disappointed by the story.

I mostly played 2 missions and about 3 hours a day. I am a strong believer that if you take your time playing the story, reading a book, watching a tv show, you appreciate and enjoy more what has been created. Because of that, I felt it was a wonderfully written, brilliantly acted and a hilarious plot. Most missions were original and the heists, in particular, were memorable and the most fun I have ever had in a video game.

For a 69 mission story, limited by the already-maxed out power GTA V was using on the current-gen consoles, it was actually a long story. It was just understandably much shorter to previous instalments.

That being said, I totally agree with you on that masks mission! The fact R* included that as a mission made me feel cheated. It's ridiculous to think you can replay it!

B Dawg
  • B Dawg

Evil Invaders Motorcycles

• Members
  • Bosnia-and-Herzegovina

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

In Sa we shot it out with the ballas by the third or so mission.

'Eat my graffiti spray bitch!' *cough* *cough* I didn't know it counted as a shootout.

• NinjaWJ and Drunken Cowboy like this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 12 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

@ StwewartWilson1992

I'm getting so sick and tired of hearing this sh*t. Franklin did not want to stop being a gangbanger, he just wanted to reap bigger rewards from more prospective criminal activities, such the heists that Michael gets him involved in. He did not renounce his gang ties or anything like that, don't people like you read the storyline properly ?? 

And even then, so what if Franklin wanted to the leave the gang life, does it mean that his gang-related missions must be kept to minimal because of that ?? Of course not. There are a million plausible, very realistic reasons and scenarios that could see Franklin still get caught up and dragged right back into the dangerous and cutthroat world of the gang life he is supposed to be leaving behind. This could have been a backdrop for a brilliant individual story and set of side missions for Franklin regarding gangs and the hood, but once again Rockstar f**ks up, and on this issue, it's much worse. After the small handful of gang/hood missions and the first heist, Franklin is largely left to toil in the background for much of the rest of the game, which basically killed off any significant further interest or excitement in his own story - so you saying, "that's where Michael and Trevor come into his life" is just a load of bullsh*t anyway. 

Ha ha !! You cannot be serious man. Either you are :

* A die-hard Rockstar fanatic blinded by undying love and loyalty to Rockstar themselves.

* You work for Rockstar's Damage Control and PR Department.

* This is your first-ever GTA game, and you are so amazed (that I might just understand). 

GTA V is probably the shortest main GTA game I ever played out of them all, (by main, I mean excluding the spin-offs and episodic dlcs). I completed V in 3 weeks, or possibly even just under that. In fact, The Ballad Of Gay Tony alone felt of a similar time to the time it took me to complete V.

Really get the f**k outta here bro.  

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

^Or maybe he's just somebody who enjoyed the game because he didn't require "gangsta hood" stuff to have a good experience...

Also, telling people to "get the f**k outta here bro" doesn't help your argument.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users