Photo

Rockstar thought too much about online

54 replies to this topic
qfs
  • qfs

Quffy

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

GTAO is GTA single players. They both share the same world but with different (kinda connected from what I've understood) stories and new missions, events that share the play of 16/32 people.

Like someone said above, people would have played 5 months single player and some multiplayer.. some more, some less. R* created two games, the normal single player and the single player online (if that makes sense to you). They changed strategies and what's wrong in taking risks, rather than having the same thing, they are trying to innovate. 

And vice versa. Most people out there are all about online gaming now (not me, I prefer SP). But if R* focused more on SP, than MP would be as bad at SP is right now, and more people would be complaining about that. 

So in R*'s eyes, they made the right move.... even though the core of older gamers are upset about the amount of content left out of SP.

GTAs are supposed to be single-player games, multiplayer should be just a bonus. Like in GTA IV. 

How you mean is supposed? Just because that's what happened in the history of GTA doesn't mean they can't try new things. 

AlexL
  • AlexL

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:40 PM Edited by AlexL, 07 November 2013 - 03:43 PM.

GTAO is GTA single players. They both share the same world but with different (kinda connected from what I've understood) stories and new missions, events that share the play of 16/32 people.

Like someone said above, people would have played 5 months single player and some multiplayer.. some more, some less. R* created two games, the normal single player and the single player online (if that makes sense to you). They changed strategies and what's wrong in taking risks, rather than having the same thing, they are trying to innovate. 

There's no such thing as singleplayer-online buddy, they stripped the singleplayer of features and added them to online JUST so more people would play it and pay for their micro transactions, dlc's and stuff.... Which is an insult towards old GTA players who enjoy the campaign, like me.

• Lucchese and Mukaparska like this

h4mza
  • h4mza

Get Every Dolla'

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

04AUS-30052-door-to-nowhere-Maria-Island

Success :)

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

I think the biggest issue with GTA:O isn't that they made it, but that they tried to release it with a big single player GTA title. Hear me out:

GTA:O should be a product all on its own. It should be able to unify the 3D era map with the HD era maps because it should hold no continuity to any actual story. They should be able to bring in Ryder and Lamar and not care one bit. Maybe even mix and match the graphical style (have your character look HD in the HD worlds but look like a 3D-era character in the 3D-era maps.) There are quite a lot of creative things that they could come up with for an online multiplayer GTA. From Heists to being able to take over turf as part of a gang. With the appropriate system they could easily have an MMO GTA title that is very fun to play and could potentially be the next big MMO. 

As it stands, GTA:O is currently GTA:V Multiplayer, and is somewhat awful. Even if GTA:O didn't cause it, GTA:V feels rushed. GTA:O itself feels rushed. If they took the time to make two separate and better products, I think it would serve their ambition better. 

• Mukaparska likes this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:57 PM Edited by Official General, 07 November 2013 - 07:21 PM.

I think the biggest issue with GTA:O isn't that they made it, but that they tried to release it with a big single player GTA title. Hear me out:

GTA:O should be a product all on its own. It should be able to unify the 3D era map with the HD era maps because it should hold no continuity to any actual story. They should be able to bring in Ryder and Lamar and not care one bit. Maybe even mix and match the graphical style (have your character look HD in the HD worlds but look like a 3D-era character in the 3D-era maps.) There are quite a lot of creative things that they could come up with for an online multiplayer GTA. From Heists to being able to take over turf as part of a gang. With the appropriate system they could easily have an MMO GTA title that is very fun to play and could potentially be the next big MMO. 

As it stands, GTA:O is currently GTA:V Multiplayer, and is somewhat awful. Even if GTA:O didn't cause it, GTA:V feels rushed. GTA:O itself feels rushed. If they took the time to make two separate and better products, I think it would serve their ambition better. 

Yeah I agree, totally.

That would have been a much better idea. Rockstar could have done what Konami do with Metal Gear Solid. Konami normally produce a main MGS single-player only game, and then a short while later they release a MGS online-only game, like they did with MGS 4 and MGS4 Online released as separate games within the same period of time. If Rockstar had done this with GTA V, they could have focused much more effort and dedicated more resources on the single-player. V's SP would have had a much better storyline/script and better gameplay experience/content if this had been the case, in my view.

I never EVER thought Rockstar would sacrifice SP for online MP, they are the last developers that would come to mind to do this. They really surprised me with their online-orientated approach to GTA V, I just hope that this is not what they have in mind for future GTA titles.

AlexL
  • AlexL

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:02 PM

Yeah I agree, totally.

That would have been a much better idea. Rockstar could have done what Konami do with Metal Gear Solid. Konami normally produce a main MGS single-player only game, and then a short while later they release a MGS online-only game, there was MGS 4 and MGS Online released in within the same period of time. If Rockstar had done this with GTA V, they could have focused much more effort and dedicated more resources on the single-player. V's SP would have had a much better storyline/script and better gameplay experience/content if this had been the case, in my view.

I never EVER thought Rockstar would sacrifice SP for online MP, they are the last developers that would come to mind to do this. They really surprised me with their online-orientated approach to GTA V, I just hope that this is not what they have in mind for future GTA titles.

Makes me wonder how GTA VI will be like if they keep going with this online bs :whuh:

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

This has been brought up probably hundreds of times now.

AlexL
  • AlexL

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

And it should keep being brought up, until they see how many people are un-happy with what they are doing to GTA V.

• Cutter De Blanc and Lucchese like this

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

And it should keep being brought up, until they see how many people are un-happy with what they are doing to GTA V.

@ AlexL

Yeah you better believe that  :^:

qfs
  • qfs

Quffy

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

I haven't played GTA 5 yet but how did they sacrifice single player, could someone explain please. I saw they have 69 story missions and I thought it was short but after watching some youtube (don't worry I knew how to not spoil me to lose interest) they felt less boring and time dragging than gta 4, which has like 88 for the main story. In 5 they seem much more interesting and gives you the real vibe, specially when mixing with 3 characters. Anyway you got a lot to do till you finish 100% past the main story. 

I feel that in GTAO you have a purpose, you have leveling system and at the same time you can free roam. In gta 4 i think is just free roam and some events. Where can we see if GTAO is more successful than past multiplayer

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:08 PM Edited by niko bellic half brother, 07 November 2013 - 07:21 PM.

Well personally, I thought V had a great story and campaign, with exciting and complex missions. I loved the whole fresh approach regarding Michael and the whole family thing; and Trevor is the most entertaining character in a GTA ever! 

That said, I agree that the story was a little short for me too, but at the same time, the fact you could approach some of the missions differently and mix it up a bit, gives the campaign alot of replay value...(this is another element most of the whiners on this forum conveniently choose to ignore).

But I definitely agree about this whole "onlinez iz da fyoocher" bullsh*t. This new generation of little kids have gotten so used to brain dead crap like "coll of dooty", that all they care about is going online so they can "run arondz shooten my fwendz". It's really depressing that it's gotten to this point.

GTA has always been, and should always be, an SP focused game. Unfortunately, thanks to the CoD generation of little kids, the future of our beloved series isn't looking too bright.

• ten-a-penny and AlexL like this

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

I think the suggestion that less online (or no online at all) would make the single player dramatically bigger or different is quite unlikely.

If you check the credits for GTA V, the online content was created by a separate team compared to the single player content. Now, you may think "well hey, why don't they just work on SP too?" but the answer is those people were most likely hired specifically for the online and wouldn't be employed at R* if there was no multiplayer.

I'm not saying the online has no effect on SP, it does. The game quite possibly was delayed because of online problems rather than single-player problems and there may have been more room on the disk without the multiplayer. But I don't think the difference would be dramatic and the MP is better value than a few extra activities or bulking up the mission count.

The Epsilon missions were more of a waste of dev time than any of the MP content  :^:

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

^It's more to do with resources/expenses rather than allocated developers.

Eagleheart
  • Eagleheart

U.S. Monsanto

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

I think the suggestion that less online (or no online at all) would make the single player dramatically bigger or different is quite unlikely.

If you check the credits for GTA V, the online content was created by a separate team compared to the single player content. Now, you may think "well hey, why don't they just work on SP too?" but the answer is those people were most likely hired specifically for the online and wouldn't be employed at R* if there was no multiplayer.

I'm not saying the online has no effect on SP, it does. The game quite possibly was delayed because of online problems rather than single-player problems and there may have been more room on the disk without the multiplayer. But I don't think the difference would be dramatic and the MP is better value than a few extra activities or bulking up the mission count.

The Epsilon missions were more of a waste of dev time than any of the MP content  :^:

Most games have separate resources allocated to SP and MP content that's nothing new. The assumption is that if they didn't have MP at all the SP department would have more staff/resources dedicated to them.

drr26
  • drr26

"he don't talk too much"

• Members
  • England

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

They would have sold a sh*t tonne of copies even without any form of multi-player 

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

Most games have separate resources allocated to SP and MP content that's nothing new. The assumption is that if they didn't have MP at all the SP department would have more staff/resources dedicated to them.

My point is that those "extra resources" probably wouldn't exist if there wasn't MP. Those people wouldn't be working on the single player instead, they wouldn't be employed at Rockstar at all because they were hired solely to make MP content.

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

Yeah, I agree that this new generation of sheeple kids only appreciate the online mods such as the sh*t call of dooty and what not. I reckon GTA O had and still has a great potential to be a great multiplayer mode, for example they are going to release a heist DLC which makes sense as you can rob banks and whatnot with your friends or other people.

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

R.I.P. GTA, 1997-2013. Murdered by GTA Online.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:31 AM

I could care less if GTA Online existed. They should of kept it like GTA IV, where it was just an extra feature, not the main thing.

qfs
  • qfs

Quffy

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:55 AM

Why out of a sudden everything is connected to COD kids? Maybe in USA the majority is playing cod on xbox because that's the hype. Here in Europe we are more of a CS style for first person shooter.

Wow but I'm giving thumbs up to GTAO without even having played gta v at all, probably cause of the waiting excitement to actually play this game. 

I've been watching how entertaining single player and online is in this youtube channel called speirs the amazing hd: https://www.youtube....Pdjk1X2TY_ZdLDw

He's having fun with other buddies playing, but maybe there are other people who don't got these gaming conditions so they abandoned the online play and said it sucks.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:58 AM

Well I hope Online affected SP cause if not, it's f*cking sad ...

dooshtoomun
  • dooshtoomun

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:58 AM

I can't help but wonder how f*cking epic single player would have been if R* had just shoved all the side missions and stuff from multiplayer into single player.

• Mukaparska likes this

Khaos89
  • Khaos89

Has a small willy

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:19 AM

Imagine a room with no doors

Imagine a door with no rooms

LateNightNeons
  • LateNightNeons

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:31 AM Edited by LateNightNeons, 08 November 2013 - 07:32 AM.

Although I enjoy both multiplayer and single player games very much (and I am enjoying both V and GTAO), I do think that GTA:O should be a separate thing entirely released at a later date with a proper beta testing period etc.

The "swift" to online has been discussed in the past, we do know from interviews and articles that R* wanted to create a multiplayer experience for over 10 years now.

My point is that those "extra resources" probably wouldn't exist if there wasn't MP. Those people wouldn't be working on the single player instead, they wouldn't be employed at Rockstar at all because they were hired solely to make MP content.

Finally someone that actually knows how companies operate. 

Budget is not prefixed, it gets approved as you go, depending on project.

To put it simply,GTA would not have a total budget of 265 million dollars if it didn't have GTAO or a less intense advertising campaign, it would be a lot less, money wouldn't automatically go to Single Player etc.

Aerosmithfan999
  • Aerosmithfan999

The whacky piano man 🎹.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

Far out man. :)

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:04 AM Edited by Official General, 08 November 2013 - 11:04 AM.

Although I enjoy both multiplayer and single player games very much (and I am enjoying both V and GTAO), I do think that GTA:O should be a separate thing entirely released at a later date with a proper beta testing period etc.

The "swift" to online has been discussed in the past, we do know from interviews and articles that R* wanted to create a multiplayer experience for over 10 years now.

Finally someone that actually knows how companies operate. 

Budget is not prefixed, it gets approved as you go, depending on project.

To put it simply,GTA would not have a total budget of 265 million dollars if it didn't have GTAO or a less intense advertising campaign, it would be a lot less, money wouldn't automatically go to Single Player etc.

I'm no expert on game development budgets and working practices. But I'm pretty sure that it does not take a great deal of time, manpower, detailed business decisions and major financial commitments just for Rockstar to include a few more single player features in a GTA game for a better experience. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users